• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 4,500 Views, 130 Comments

Professor Layton and the Equestrian Silence - Crystal Blue



Professor Layton is drawn into Equestria by the Royal Pony Sisters, for a unique mystery...

  • ...
3
 130
 4,500

Solutions 7

048 - Answer:

You need to swap the two pairs of tiles shown in order to connect all of the magic lines.

049 - Answer:

There a couple of places you can start with this one.

050 - Answer:

This is a simple process of elimination. Just don't get confused into heading back towards the centre of the web!

051 - Answer:

It is a matter of changing your perspective. As you can see, removing matches from the top and the bottom edges reveals the letter H, and a 90° rotation reveals the letter I, and vice versa.

There is also a way of removing two matches to get three letters.

052 - Answer:

The loaf of bread weighs the same as 5 apples, whilst the jar of jam weighs the same as 3 apples. Once you have those numbers, the answer should be simple.

053 - Answer:

This is an example of a Picross puzzle. What impressed Pinkie Pie was the shape it formed, that of a balloon!

(Thanks to Venn and blastdragon for the edit on this one).

054 - Answer:

Twilight Sparkle Magic

Rainbow Dash Loyalty

Applejack Honesty

Fluttershy Kindness

Pinkie Pie Laughter

Rarity Generosity

This would have been fairly straightforward, had it not been for the fact that Twilight had to be on the front button. The word MAGIC has fewer letters than any of the other Element names. Surely if a main vowel was valued 2 to the consonant's 1, Twilight would be at the back, right?

Wrong.

This is were you change your way of thinking. Vowels have twice the value of consonants, but nopony said those values had to be positive amounts. If you give vowels a value of -2 and consonants a value of -1, then Twilight will end up at the front with a value of -7. Rarity's Generosity would doubtlessly land her at the back with a value of -15. Fluttershy are fairly easy to place as well, with values of -10 and -11 respectively.

However, Rainbow Dash and Applejack both have Elements with a value of -9 each. For this, we refer to Discord's second rule, that nopony of the same type can be next to each other in the queue. As Fluttershy's fourth place is solidified, the third place slot can't be occupied by Rainbow Dash as they are both pegasi. So she goes second in the queue whilst Applejack take the third place.

Comments ( 24 )

Very nicely done, but your Picross/Kakuro puzzle needs a fix. It has a few errors: the fifth row is labelled "2" when it should be labelled "1 1" and the second column is labelled "2" when it should be labelled "1 1" and finally the fifth column is labelled "1 2 1" and it should be "1 2 1 1".

The letters problem could have the left/right matches removed instead of the top/bottom matches and have virtually the same solution, but that really doesn't change anything.

I like the last puzzle, but I'd be weary of calling the final 'Y's in "LOYALTY" and "HONESTY" consonants. Maybe add a short specification to the question like, "The five main vowels are double value" instead of just "vowels are double value". Just a recommendation, though; good puzzle nonetheless.

Is there a sequel in the works? It sounds like there might be...

Good puzzles, and they only sound better if you play the Puzzle-Battle theme on the background. Like Venn said Puzzle 54 needs to be a little bit more clearer about the Y's. And the nit-pickety-nit-picker that I am has also a few other tips about the other puzzles:
Puzzle 49: There is another solution for this one. A few C's and E's can be switched with each other. (http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/blastdragon/Naamloos-2.png)
Puzzle 50: F is also the right path. Just go to the F and take the same path as with the "official" answer. When you encounter the F again go to it. This can be easily solved with an extra line between path F and A right at the beginning.
Puzzle 53: The second column has a 2 above it. I believe this needs to be 1-1.

But it was a great story and I really hope on a sequel. The Changlings could be really good Layton villains because there would be always doubt who they were...

481537

Ah, with Puzzle 49, Discord said that you cannot have two of the same letter in a long diagonal (i.e. from corner to corner). Your solution has two E's on both long diagonals.

On Puzzle 50, if you start by heading towards F, you'll end up at D.

You're right on Puzzle 53. I'll edit the images to sort it.

Thanks again!

Amazing, loved it. Start to finish. 6/5. Was this featured? Nice, I would love a sequel, since they have those stones... :twilightsmile:

482322

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm fairly new to the site, so I'm not up on the featuring thing. As for a sequel, I'd be open to it. I just need to recharge my batteries and make some new puzzles. How Akira Tago gets well over 100 puzzles ready for each Layton game, I'll never know, but he has my respect.

Thanks again! :twilightsmile:

This story was great any chance of a sequel in the future.

484376

Quite possibly. I'll need to formulate a story. I pretty much wrote this on the fly.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the story.

Thanks! :pinkiesmile:

Wow, that was so amazing. I did enjoy doing the puzzles that I could do. And all those twists and turns in the story kept me on my feet. You have done an excellent job here and thus earned this from me:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Gildor_Surion/muffinbutton.png
Thank you for sharing this story and all those puzzles with us. :yay:

491912

I'm glad I could be of service, and thank you for the Muffin Button.

:twilightsmile:

626190

That was the key difficulty in creating puzzles for this. The games' puzzles are much more interactive than could be accomplished here, so that was one hurdle that needed crossing. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story!:twilightsmile:

626991
Trust me, I did. I've been a fan of Layton for quite some time now, and this did not disappoint. Well played, sir :moustache:

628839

Thank you very muchly. :yay:

663306

Very well observed. The Professor would be proud! :twilightsmile:

881291

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

881319 Hm....Yes..very...interesting............................PROFESSSAAAAHHHH!

1158340 I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Picross are also called nonogram:twilightsmile:

2870530 Ah, you need to work backwards through the instructions. Granted, I made that one a touch too tricky.

2870994 Thank you, sir! I will keep in mind your suggestions. :twilightsmile:

053 has additional errors. The 5th row is erroneously marked as a 2 instead of a 1-1. Additionally, while it's obviously supposed to make a balloon, the bottom-right 3x4 section of the puzzle (the string) does not have a unique solution.

5173814 Ah, I see. An old story of mine, this one. I thought I manages to get around to fixing that error.:twilightoops:

5173885
Hey, like I always say -- the best treats are the ones you find under the couch cushions after 2+ years. At least when they're fun crossover stories and not food.

I really did have fun with this. A belated thank you is in order :twilightsmile:

The fifth row of Puzzle 53 still says "2" instead of "1,1" like it should...

If there's a sequel to this, perhaps the likes of Alfendi Layton, Lucy Baker, Katrielle Layton, Earnest Greeves, and Sherl the Dog might appear?

Login or register to comment