• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 3,525 Views, 18 Comments

Black Heart - Vohira



Nopony can come out unchanged from a fight with a demigoddess.

  • ...
10
 18
 3,525

Chapter 1: First steps

Chapter 1
First steps

Last night was unsettling and seemed too surreal to even consider that what, or rather who, she dreamed about was true. However she knew that it was real, no matter how much the purple alicorn wanted it not to be. For now she just stared at the ceiling of one of the more luxurious guest rooms in the Canterlot Castle, trying to process the talk she had with... her.

Her gaze turned to her right, where at the night table stood an alarm clock. Twilight saw that she woke up an hour before the time she would have to start preparing herself to join Princesses Celestia and Luna for breakfast. Normally Twilight was an early riser, but today she felt like sleeping in. Nonetheless, with a sigh she sat up in the bed.

“Might as well start the day earlier...” Ever so slowly the newest Princess dragged her hooves over the edge of the queen sized bed. She looked around, searching for her golden shoes. She found them tossed haphazardly near the entrance doors.

When she looked at the pieces of gold, her body reminded her why she felt so tired. Twilight's back felt sore and any sudden movement of her wing joints caused her to wince. She had a flying lesson yesterday... and she would probably have one today, later in the afternoon. A soft groan escaped her lips.

Today was the fifth day after her coronation, and for four days she had those torturous flying lessons. The purple mare hoped that her instructor would adjust her lesson plans after their first session, when she saw how inadequately prepared Twilight was. Maybe her slightly larger body had on it a bit more muscles, but that didn't change the fact that she never used those particular muscles that were used for flying... Of course Spitfire only told her to ‘suck it up’.

In the meantime, when she thought about her undoubtedly gifted and impatient flight instructor, Twilight started to slowly move her wings around to get rid herself of the worst cramps and stiffness in her new appendages. While she kept doing that she also crossed the room and reached the ensuite bathroom. At least that was one truly good thing about her situation in the last few days. The room she was in was mostly reserved for foreign dignitaries, so that meant that the bathtub had to be large enough that even buffalo, however unlikely that visit was, could bath comfortably in it. In practice it meant that it was more like a miniature swimming pool. At least for her. In less than five minutes her bath was ready, the water steamed slightly and the moisture slowly gathered at the colorful mosaics on the walls that depicted meadows and forests. Twilight almost moaned in delight when she went into the water, a small smile formed on her muzzle. She had time, she could enjoy herself for a while... Forgetting about her problems.

**********

On top of the tallest tower of Canterlot Castle, was a special place that only few had access to. The top floor of said tower was open to the sky, instead of normal walls only twenty four slim columns stood in a circle between occupants of the tower and the openness of air. The columns made of white marble were tightly covered with slightly glowing magical runes, the meaning and purpose of them now only known to few beings in the world.

Princess Celestia stood on the black marble floor, the wind at this height was strong and it made her mane and tail billow in a wild fashion, the same went for her sister. She was looking to the east where the first rays of sunlight announced the beginning of yet another day.

“What bothers you today sister?” Luna’s voice was curious, rarely had she seen her sister so deep in thoughts.

“I’m afraid that I’m rushing things...” The short answer Celestia gave was enough for Luna to guess what it was that occupied her sister’s mind. “That I let my selfishness get the better of me...”

“You mean Twilight, don’t you?” The dark alicorn went to hers sister’s side, and looked in the direction of Celestia's gaze, at the horizon and beyond. Luna heard a quiet sigh escape her sister.

“The Nobles are already showing their displeasure during the Day Court, and the Parliament is silent about the coronation. It will be another Cadance all over again...” Celestia massaged her temple with her right hoof.

“Then use the experience you had gained then.” Luna looked at her bigger sister and wrinkled her nose. “I’m still wondering what made you establish this inefficient governmental structure, and Parliament in the first place... The Nobles were bad enough on their own.” The Princess of the Night spat her last words with disdain.

“I told you Luna, times were changing. Absolute monarchy was leading to unrest among the educated ponies... That the Nobles saw their chance to gain more power in those times didn’t help matters.” Celestia slowly turned around, took a deep breath to calm her thoughts. “We should be going Luna, or we will be late for breakfast.” With that the white alicorn headed towards a narrow staircase that opened up at the northern side of the floor.

This time it was Luna who sighed. Sometimes she missed Equestria from a thousand years ago, playing politics was simpler then. Shaking her head, she began to follow her sister to their private dining room.

*********

Twilight was just drying herself with a fluffy white towel when somepony knocked on the bathroom doors.

“Princess Twilight, are you in there? Breakfast will be served in fifteen minutes.”

Twilight gasped, her relaxing soak in the luxurious bathroom had taken her longer than she planned. Using a bit more magic for her levitation spell with which she held the towel, she quickened the moves. Not two minutes later she was again in her room, one of the castle servant mares, an earth pony, was standing near the door. She was a bit shorter than the average mare, showing her still young age, she was probably a year or two younger than Twilight. Her coat was a pale blue colour, almost white. Her mane and tail however were a deep violet. The young mare kept her hair straight and long, almost reaching halfway down her forelegs.

It was still a novelty to Twilight, having somepony other than Spike as her assistant, or rather as a hoofmaiden. Likewise the young mare also was new to that kind of job. She had told Twilight that until she was appointed as her hoofmaiden, she was only dusting the more delicate and valuable items on exposition inside the castle many halls. Supposedly her previous job required a clearance from the City Guard. It made sense, nopony wanted somepony with a criminal history near such items.

“Did you see my mane brush Velvet?” Twilight asked with some nervousness. It always ended misplaced. Also Twilight was still not used to the idea of some random mare, albeit a pleasant one to be around, essentially taking Spike’s spot. The lavender mare sighed, stopping what she was doing when she saw that Velvet found it behind one of the large flower vases that stood at both sides of the entrance doors and had in them planted some kind of small trees.

“Should I brush your mane my Princess?”

That was another thing that Twilight had troubles getting used to. The pale blue mare would always politely ask, if she could do this or that for her. Once at her first day the polite, young mare even asked if she was to help her bathe. Even now, three days later the memory of that awkward moment brought a small blush to her cheeks. At the beginning she didn't even know from where Velvet got the idea... but later she quickly traced it back to Luna. It seemed the dark alicorn enjoyed some of hers old customs too much to just drop them.

And the palace life thrived on two things, politics... and gossip. She had learned that fact as Celestia's protege rather early on. So word got around and Twilight guessed that by now, all the castle staff had amassed a lot of dirty, false stories about Princess Luna’s private life. Worst of all, Luna’s hoofmaiden kept silent, as was expected of a hoofmaiden to a veritable demigoddess. Naturally most ponies took her silence as a confirmation of the gossip. And now among other things, she was only wishing to be somewhere far out of Canterlot when one of the staff ponies made the terrible mistake of making a dirty comment where Luna could hear him or her... That made her think. She toyed with the idea of telling about it Luna herself.

“Princess? Your mane... and the time, we have only five minutes.” Velvet was fidgeting slightly, with a drop of panic entering her voice.

Twilight blinked, looking at the nervous mare. She chuckled sheepishly realizing she got carried away with her thoughts.

“I did it again, didn’t I? Well then...” Twilight concentrated, and in a flash of pink magic her mane was totally dry, but some hairs sticked together forming thinner or thicker bands. “I may look a bit unruly but... there's no time for anything too fancy.” And she knew that only the use of mane brush would result in her normal hairstyle.

“If... if you say so Princess. We must hurry now...” Velvet said sounding uncertain, until she saw one more flash of magic and looked to see the mane of Princess Twilight glittering as if was dotted with tiny diamonds, her mane even gave of a bit of a magical glow. But she didn't have time to comment, they had only three minutes left. The young mare opened the doors and held them open for Twilight and then they both broke into a fast paced trot, down the castle corridors.

Unknown to Twilight a certain entity was listening and watching, learning what Twilight knew by browsing her thoughts and facts that currently occupied her mind. Nightmare decided to not pester her host as she requested, she found certain amusement anyway in things she was learning today.

**********

The private dining room of the Princesses was, as opposed to the rest of the castle, furnished modestly. Rectangular table stood in the middle, with four seats around it. Two large vases stood by the entrance and a small crystal chandelier hung above the table. The room itself was just large enough to leave room for the kitchen staff to move around when the Royal Sister ate.

Currently only two seats were occupied by Celestia and Luna, who watched as cooks brought from the kitchens fresh toast, pancakes and bowls of fruits and vegetables. The drink offered were fresh fruit juices.

Around the time when the cooks were leaving through the doors leading directly to the kitchens, the doors leading to the castle opened and Twilight walked in, alone. Only royalty was allowed in this room at this hours, it being one the few occasion when the alicorns could discuss anything they wanted without the risk of somepony eavesdropping.

Twilight sat across the older Princesses who decided today to sit at the same side of the table.

“Sorry I’m late Prin... Celestia, Luna.” Another thing the purple alicorn found awkward, at least at the very beginning, now it was just a matter of old habits. She never dreamed that she would be able to be so familiar with those two.

“Don’t worry too much Twilight, we have barely begun.” Luna answered reaching with her magic for some pancakes and a bowl filled with blueberries.

“Twilight, if you’re late or skip it sometimes no one will become angry with you.” Celestia assured the smaller mare with a warm smile on her muzzle. Simultaneously her golden magic grabbed some fruits and vegetables and she began composing herself a salad. “Now enjoy your meal, we will have some things to discuss when we’re all done.”

Twilight became a bit nervous hearing the last part but nodded her head nonetheless, and reached for toasts. Sadly, she was again beaten to all of the pancakes by Luna. Which did not go unnoticed by certain white alicorn...

“Luna I’m not certain that this will be healthy for you... I do wonder where does it all fit...” Celestia said with a snicker, as she looked at the small mountain of pancakes on her sister's plate.

“What... They’re good...” Luna answered between munches, throwing her sister an annoyed glare. Only to whip her head and also glare at Twilight who managed to stifle her own snicker. Luna swallowed loudly and a smirk appeared at her muzzle as she looked at Celestia again. “At least they don’t later show how much I like them, your cakes do.” Luna glared pointedly at her sisters flank.

“I’m wounded Lulu, are you insinuating that I’m fat?” Celestia answered in with a fake outrage, although one had to know her closely to discern her false moods from the real ones.

Twilight sighed and tuned out the bickering sisters. It was the second time in five days, that she observed such mock argument between the two. Luckily she had experience with tuning out Pinkie Pie when she got too hyper. Those two were nothing compared to one of her best friends. She chuckled quietly but over the course of her meal she began to feel a bit somber.

Her friends were all in Ponyville, and she didn't quite know when she would get enough free time, or wouldn’t be just too tired to go visit them.

Twilight sighed, and then there was Spike. For now he got her old room, near the library. But even Celestia was a bit stumped when it came to planning a future for him, a dragon. He was very fond of her, both of them actually, and it was as cute and heartwarming as it was inconvenient. In few years he would go through his first growth spurt, and it would do him good to get some experience at living by himself. So for now he got his own room and a free month from being her assistant. Surprisingly he still spent a lot of his time inside the castle, only visiting Pony Joe if he had a sudden craving for sweets.

“Twilight?” Celestia’s voice pierced the veil of Twilight’s thoughts.

Suddenly the purple alicorn realized she was absentmindedly stabbing her fork into an unfinished toast. A blush made itself visible, as Twilight laughed nervously.

“Did you say something important Celestia... I’m afraid I got too focused on my own thoughts...” Twilight sighed. “Again...”

“That’s why I called you. Now that we got your attention...” Celestia smiled teasingly. “There is a few serious matters to discuss.” Instantly her muzzle took on a completely serious and focused look. Twilight responded in kind, focusing and sitting a bit straighter.

“Now that you are slowly becoming accustomed to the palace life, we think that it is time to... how to put it...” It was Luna who began speaking, and now was tapping her right hoof against her lips deep in thought. “Expose you to the world of politics.” She finally said with a dramatic wave of her hoof in a large arc.

“So soon? I’m not ready... I mean I didn't had the time to...”

“Twilight, easy. For now we just want you to sit in on the Day or Night Court with us, as an advisor at most.” Celestia picked up where her sister left, successfully stopping Twilight’s would be monologue. “Also you will be visiting the government buildings, with that you will have a task to fulfil, but more about it when the time comes. And the most important thing...” Celestia hesitated, she got the note just after they left the tower this morning. “The Parliament has announced a special session, to which we three will be going. It will take place in nine days.”

Twilight nodded. Then she saw something interesting. Apparently Celestia wanted to end the talk at this but Luna just glared at her sister in a silent battle of wills. She could have sworn that there was a tiny black spark that shoot off of her horn, but it was too quick to be certain. Celestia sighed, and with her magic pulled from her side to the table a simple wooden box.

“Don’t lose it Twilight, it’s very important that what's in the box never leaves the castle grounds.” Golden magic placed the box in front of Twilight.

The purple mare looked up, she looked at Celestia first and got a nod, then she scrutinized Luna. It had to be her idea, whatever the box contained. Slowly she turned back to looking at the box, with her pink magic she opened the lid.

Inside was an unusual golden key. It was not round like other, but rather triangular, with a highly detailed dragon head at one end. Twilight was puzzled.

“Celestia, what is this key for?” She picked it up with her magic... And felt as if she was lifting a large house instead of a small key. She gasped and let it go, she watched it settle gently on the red pillow inside the box. “What’s wrong with this key?!” Her voice was full of disbelief and alarm.

“It is made from Celestial Gold.” Luna answered looking at the key with unrecognizable look in her eyes. “Only the strongest of unicorns, and of course us, alicorns can manipulate it with magic. No pegasi or earth pony would have the strength to lift it.” Luna leaned a bit forward. “But what is more important is that it is the key to the Forbidden Archives.”

Twilight’s eyes widened. The Forbidden Archives were as part of the vast Canterlot Archives in which historical texts and copies of books, that could very well be the last in existence, were held. It was a pain to get a pass for the Archives, but the Forbidden section was only accessible to royalty and those they appointed personally... Oh, right... she now was a royalty.

“More accurately it is your key to the Archives.” Celestia said, but her voice carried a lot of tension in it. “Just promise me this Twilight. Whatever you find down there, if you ever go there... Keep an open mind, and remember that time changes ponies.” With that and a small smile, Celestia got up and left. Twilight could see the tension even in her steps.

“What’s this about Luna? I’ve never seen Celestia so... tense?” The newest Princess locked gazes with the dark alicorn.

“It is not my place to tell Twilight. I’m sorry.” Luna said sincerely.

After a while of awkward silence Luna spoke again.

“Well, it is time for me to sleep.” The Princess of the Night said standing up. “Remember Twilight, don’t take the key beyond the walls of the palace.” For a long moment Luna looked as if she didn't know what to do, finally she went around the table, and embraced Twilight in a hug. “Don't worry too much about Celestia, she will get over it. But you have a long day ahead of you, and if you don't hurry you will make Captain Spitfire wait longer than it is necessary...”

“She is going to kill me...” With those words Twilight closed the box with the key in it, took it in her magical grasp and galloped out of the room.

As Luna was leaving the dining room, she couldn’t help but ponder, how will Twilight react to what she will find in the Archives.

After all, history was written by the victorious...

Author's Note:

So a slow-ish start, but I just have to build up a background for this to work so, patience. Anyhow I do hope you enjoyed it.

Comments ( 8 )

Oooooooh... What kind of dirty secrets will stumble upon? I'm excited!

Lemme guess, what's written in there has to be about Nightmare Moon... It's too good to not be true :rainbowwild:

A not so perfect mentor, eh? Self discovery of the darkest kind is quite the sight to see for the first time. I wonder how that glorified pedestal Twilight has Celestia on will fare when she learns of the true history of the times. Ah well, I'm sure she'll get over it. The fun way! :pinkiehappy:

Sorry my tablet is broken and keeps sending this story to different subjects....I hate my tablet now...

And i'm talking about my group....I apparently sent this story to it three times before i tried to stop it.... Im sorry i sent this to a group...

This chapter needs to be edited but I doubt that will ever happen since the story seems dead. I will bookmark it in hopes it does come back though.

Pity u cancelled this, it was good.

Login or register to comment