• Published 29th May 2013
  • 5,260 Views, 60 Comments

A Soldier's Duty - UndercoverGamer



"You say that like soldiers and humanity are two different things. Soldiers aren't machines. We're just people."

  • ...
37
 60
 5,260

Interlude - Report: Ignorance

Authorization Confirmed...
Standby...
...
File Request Confirmed
Requesting File...
...
...
...
...
File Received
Processing...
...
...
...
...
Complete
Opening File...
...


Subject Report: John-117 aka Master Chief aka Spartan-117



(Currently Selected)

||||||| 2. Capabilities 3.Physiological Understanding 4. Recorded Relations |||||||

(1 of N/A)



Current Report: Ignorance
Archived by [REDACTED]
Date: January/5/[REDACTED]

John's combat prowess is unmatched. Believe me, I've seen it. It's scary at how good he is at what he does. Anything you can think of, he can do it. I'm fully confident in this fact. Although, what scares me more than how well he does his job is just how inhuman he is while doing it. He doesn't seem to care about the losses when they happen, I mean, he does everything he can to prevent them but then he just... he just, stops. It's difficult even for me to explain it, and it's something I've tried to reasoning out of him, believe me, but I found no success. I suppose that's a bit vague. Here, I'll try and elaborate some here. Every time I tried talking to him about it, he just closed up or at least more so than usual. It's as if he shows such compassion for the soldiers until they're gone. At that point he seems to view them as if they were a failed objective, nothing more. He just... forgets. He moves on. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, of course you want someone to move on, but I mean, I can't imagine any human being able to do that so quickly without any consequences. I know it hurts him, but I can't say how because frankly, I don't even know if he understands what his emotions are or what they're telling him. I know I may possibly be the least qualified individual to say that, but I mean it. John needs more than just me to guide him, and I don't want to see him fall any deeper than he already has.



End Report
Closing File...
...
Closed
Sign-off Confirmed
Singing off...

Author's Note:

Hey, guys. Let me explain what this was to you. These interludes are something will be periodically placed between chapters partly for to calm down from the physical story and for allow to leak some reports on John into the story. The reports will be on various topics, but all of them will pertain to story in some way. They may not come right before or after the chapter where the report explains something in said chapters, but I can say that all will pertain with the chapter before in some way; it'll explain something within the chapter to some extent. The first chapter may not have been as serious as the last chapter one or as grim as future chapters to come, but it still contains plot elements just like any other.

READING THESE ARE ENTIRELY OPTIONAL!

I thought I'd point that out. While they may contain some relevant info on the story, they are not, in any way, required to understand the plot. It's kinda of why they're so short. I hope I didn't do too bad with it, and as always thanks for all the likes and near 1k favs the story has received.

Comments ( 23 )

I expect a report on his luck very soon. Ya know? The huge factor that allows him to get out of practically every situation. Whatever, just so long as the writing stays at about this level then keep me' coming.

Neat… I notice that in most stories, John tends to just go 'oh, noooooo whenever soldiers die around him. But here? No, you're staying game-accurate. When a soldier dies, they're beyond helping, and he knows it. John simply decides to forget about the lost. That's the sign that he went through some really tough shit in that Spartan academy…


3940582 Interlude - Report: Luck

I've waited so long for this! :yay:

I NEED MOAR FROM THIS!! MOAR I TELL YOU!

Excuse me, but are the old chapters still up somewhere?

3941622 The old story's premise is still present just portrayed differently. Still, thanks for keeping with it.

3941147 The old chapter's somewhere, and I plan on finding it and posting it near the end of the story kind of how there was an anniversary edition of Halo: Combat Evolved.

im going to enjoy these interludes especially if there reports about the Chief

An entirely different direction than the one that was first seen, and it's quite the refresher than just "Chief falls down from space to the planet" scenarios I see all over the place. I wonder what Chief is going to do now... and how bad a spanking Discord's going to for screwin' up good. :rainbowwild:
i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee154/Dumbwad/YouDunGoofed.jpg

3951452 I'm sorry, what do you mean by when more?

3952248 when will the story be updated next?

3953466 Within the next week. The next chapter is at 2,600 words and I hope to have it around the same length as the first.

3955932 To each their own, I suppose. No hard feelings but as any author would ask: What caused it to be as disappointing as it was?

Well, this is certainly interesting. Successful reboots are so rare nowadays, and it's nice to see them each and every time.
Not to mention my personal attachment to Chief as the first character that I ever played as.

My only complaint so far is the need for a good, thorough grammar-sweep. The tense wobbles back and forth between past and present, particularly early in the first chapter (that crucial part before story immersion sets in), and there are a few jumbled words here and there.
Other than that, you're golden! Good to go!
And when you come back, bring me a look at the Chief that nobody has ever seen before! The kind that only you can show!:rainbowdetermined2:
...
Sorry, was that too cheesy?:twilightblush:

3964752 Not at all! I can't express my appreciation for a comment like this, and as for the grammar... It's being corrected daily and a fully corrected version will be released prior to the release of the 2nd chapter.

D48

4103320 I know what you mean with the mechanical errors, although you should be able to do a better job now that it has sat for a few weeks.

As for the "why" stuff, I have not checked the chapter recently, but I am getting the feeling you did not get your thoughts across well so you may want to take another look at that passage.

4106216 In all honesty I got a bit too caught up with ACT's coming up, but thanks for reminding me to correct the grammar. I did receive corrections from my editor, but I have yet to apply them. As for the story, as I said, I'll re-read and along with correcting grammar mistakes I'll improve upon anything I can including the "why" portion. Thanks for the comment, though. I'll get to it on the weekend, and I won't release chapter 2 until I feel satisfied with the current chapter. I agree with you that it feels a bit off, so saying that I may not have gotten the point across properly is probably a safe bet to make. Again, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Also, autocorrect on an iPad makes writing this comment extremely difficult.

This has taken two years to put out, and still hasn't. Don't know if this story is dead, or what. Whatever.

4106506 if you cant come up with anything plz reboot the story if you have too.

ahh, i see you activated Filler.exe

Login or register to comment