• Published 27th May 2013
  • 1,874 Views, 46 Comments

How the Heart Burns - thehalfelf



I never imagined that something so simple, something that felt so right, could go so wrong. All I tried to do was make Father proud, and I fear I didn't do even that. My name is Cadenza, and this journal is both my warning, and my confession.

  • ...
2
 46
 1,874

Epilogue

Epilogue

“...think she is waking up....”

“....do something, Your Majesty, we are losing her...”

“Stand back...”

“Everypony clear! Now!”

A sharp pain in my chest forces me to throw my eyes open and take a deep breath of air. I feel somepony roll me over onto my side as a coughing fit starts, ending in drops of blood splatter onto a wooden floor below. As soon as my shaky breathing normalizes, I roll onto my back to look at my saviors.

The first thing I see is a bright blue sky, though there is a distortion over in the very edge of my vision. Next, closer objects slowly come into focus: two ponies--unicorns--in white coats. A little further beyond them, outside of the carriage I’m sitting in, sits a large, white-coated pony, with a multicolored mane flowing in the breeze.

One of the coated ponies walks to the large one. “Princess, the Regent is awake.”

“Thank you,” she says before getting to her hooves and walking over to me. It is only then that I notice the large, white horn on her head, the same color as the wings held against her sides. “Lady Regent of the Crystal Empire. I am pleased to make your acquaintance.”

I slowly rise into a sitting position, ignoring the coated ponies’ demands that I lie down. “W... Where am I? And who are you?” I quickly whip my head around, looking for the source of all of my pain. “Where is Sombra?”

“You are approximately four and a half hundred yards from the former location of the Crystal Empire, which currently houses Sombra, and those things I believe you ponies call ‘Wilds.’ To answer your second question, I am Princess Celestia of Equestria.”

Remembering what Father had taught me, I incline my head as far as my headache allows. “I am honored, Your Majesty,” I try to say, but a coughing fit interrupts my last word.

If she noticed my breach in etiquette, the Princess chooses not to bring it up. “These ponies would tell me that you have quite the story to tell, Miss Regent.”

“If it pleases Your Majesty, you can call me Cadence,” I reply. “And, I suppose I might, but I am curious what you mean by ‘former location of the Crystal Empire.’ What has happened to my city?” The headache is slowly fading now, being replaced by memories of my last minutes awake.

“How about a trade,” the white monarch proposes. “I tell you my story, then give you an offer. Whether you accept or refuse, you tell me yours. Deal?” I nod. “Very well. Allow me to begin.” Instead of starting, however, she gracefully walks over to the other side of the carriage and sits down next to me.

“Now then,” she begins, “it all started with this letter I got in your name, though I wonder now if it ever touched your hooves. It was a cry for help from you, help to develop and power a spell focused in a gem you called the Crystal Heart to repel the Wilds from your city. I sent a formula for a basic spell, and promised aid later, as I was busy.

“Luckily, I was able to get away quicker, or else you would be dead now. While we were flying to the Crystal Empire to give our promised aid, one of my guards,” whom I now notice are sitting near the harness to the carriage, staring around us in all directions, “saw what he called a ‘pink pony-shaped form lying unconscious on the ground.’”

“We landed to investigate, and quickly realized who you were. I stayed here to provide first aid, and sent my carriage to the nearest friendly city for aid,” the two white coated ponies wave at me, “and once they had arrived, I left with my guards to get some answers.

“A very kind stallion who called himself King Sombra answered our calls, and spun a tale of how you wandered off, and how he was simply holding your place until you returned. I was suspicious, but I returned here anyway. It wasn’t until one of my guards mentioned seeing several ponies being led by chains from part of the city, and one of the doctors reported that there was a puncture wound in your shoulder, and traces of a very, very old poison in your veins that my suspicions were confirmed.”

She took a deep breath. “We returned to speak with King Sombra, where I confronted him. He said that the ponies in chains were traitors, and that the poisoning was probably an assassination attempt. I almost believed it, until I noticed a small notebook lying on the corner of the desk,” She holds up my diary, the one given to me by Father, “which I discreetly took and read while you were unconscious. I apologize for invading your privacy, but I felt it was necessary.

“I was able to piece together the rudiments of what happened. It was then that we were attacked by ponies I assumed were the ‘Wilds’ referenced several times in your journal, until I saw the Crystal Empire emblem on their breastplates. After they were... disposed of, for lack of a better term, I decided that the threat posed by Sombra was too great to let lie.”

The great white princess sighs. “Unfortunately, due to problems back home in Equestria, there is very little I can actually do right now. So, I used the focal point of the Crystal Heart and threw the entire city into its own pocket of space. I can undo it whenever we are able to face Sombra.”

I blink. “You took my city... and put it into another dimension...?”

The princess nods.

“So... what do I do now?” I ask after a brief pause. “I’m a Regent without a Regency...”

“That is where my offer comes in.” Princess Celestia looks over at me with a warm smile. “Of course, I am willing to bring you to Canterlot with me, and have you labeled as nobility and put into our Council of Elders.” She must notice my distasteful look, for she laughs. “I thought as much. My other offer is to bring you to Canterlot, and make you a princess, my niece, if you will, until such a time as you can return to your throne.”

Both options are generous, very generous, especially considering that Princess Celestia has never met me, and has already saved my life. “Why?” I ask, not realizing I voice my thought.

“Hmm? Oh, that’s an easy one. I knew your father.” My breath catches in my throat and I look over at her, astonished. “Yes, it is true. I even saw you as a little filly, though I am ashamed to admit I could not recall your name until now. Your father was a great stallion, and an exceptional ruler, and I feel you can do great in Equestria, either as nobility or royalty.”

The conversation falls into a lull for a moment as I contemplate the Princess’ last words. “Can I wait to decide?”

The white princess nods. “Of course. Either way, however, I believe you owe me a story now. I did read your journal, but I feel your personal account will be much more revealing.” She bestows me another of her warm smiles, and places my journal in my lap. The doctors pile in the carriage behind us, the guards take their positions in the harness, and we take to the sky, headed south.

“It all began with a what I thought was going to be a boring meeting of Council, early last year...”

Author's Note:

And that wraps up the first story in the Heart trilogy. You know, I had a lot of fun writing this. It was interesting to play with Cadence as a character, before canon, and to experiment with that writing style, and I must say. I am rather pleased with the results. Without a doubt, this was definitely one of my favorite stories to write. I'm hoping that stays true through the rest of the trilogy.

I'm curious to hear your comments as well, Feedback and reactions are always very much appreciated around here.

As I said, this is going to be a trilogy. Unfortunately, I have been neglecting some of my other works, so I doubt I'll get back to this universe until one of my three major stories is done. Right now, the closest contender is A Pony Called Death, but we'll just have to wait and see. Don't worry, though, I'll make sure to tag any blog with information to the trilogy with this story, so anyone with it favorited will have access to it as well.

I would like to toss a shoutout to my awesome editors, TheCloudtop and quick_study. If it wasn't for them, this story probably wouldn't be what it is. Also a huge thanks to TheCrash for drawing that amazing cover art (seriously, if you haven't really looked at it, do so. It's brilliant) and for prereading to make sure it didn't sound too weird. Thanks, guys, You're all awesome.

And so, on that note, I'm off. Thanks for reading/commenting/watching/upvoting/whatever it is you do, and I hope you enjoyed it, and hope you stick around for more.

-thehalfelf

Comments ( 39 )

And that wraps up this amazing story.

.....

God dammit, Elfy. Why do you always entrance me with your work, and then when I finish it, I'm always left wanting more (....That's what she said....?)?

As of now, I'll give this story a.... Not a five out of five, but not a four out of five, either. It'shard to judge this one.

This will definitely be my next review.

-Sonic

Again, I liked the writing style of the first two chapters. This felt a little different, and somewhat out of place. I would have liked to get more of a feel of loss from Cadence, especially since her home is gone and she is about to face the unknown. It was good to see it wrap up though!

2659555
Later. There are still two more stories. There will be more, promise.

Sorry it took me so long to get around to finishing this.

The imagery is great and it was nice to read. It was a great conclusion to this first installment. My previous comment still applies to much of the story. The only thing new that I really feel I can point out is Sombra and the ending. The way he revealed his nefarious plot and what he was doing felt rather forced. It was that cliche evil villain monologue which just didn't fit right. The only other thing is Celestia doing the good guy version of such, telling a story of what happened without much action in the meantime.

That's all I've got. Sorry I can't think of anything more at the moment. Can't wait for more stuff!

2670927
There was... probably some reasoning behind that, but it escapes me now. I think it falls along the lines of there was no way to make it go the way we wanted with what we had without a major rewrite of most of the chapter. I took what I had and rolled with it, and I think that, despite the cliches, it didn't turn out too bad.

ON another note, come edit shit for me. I hate editing videos.

2671020
I have no skills in the visual arts, unfortunately. You're on your own with those videos.

2671026
Have you watched any of the stuff? There really isn't much to it.

2671052
I've watched the Torchlight videos, yes. It seems simple enough, but I'm also very lazy.

I was expecting a very emotional ending here xD
You seemed rushed, though, as you have not really given the point of view in the battle between Sombra and whoever opposed him(Was it the Princess?)
I thought it would likely have been like this:
"Sorry, Cadence..." Sombra managed to say before he had turned completely out of control. A tear streaked down his muzzle, a sad smile formed-- another time he mouthed a hurtful sorry while he battled the reigning force of evil. Suddenly, his features changed and his looks were more intimidating. His red eyes were covered in green in its side, darkness of the violet hue had escaped his eyelids. Sombra was gone... Now, it was King Sombra....

"Sombra! Do you really wish to do this?!" Celestia shouted. However, she was replied with a chilling laugh.

"Who is this Sombra you speak of, dear Princess? I am not Sombra, for I am KING Sombra!!!" The stallion laughed heartily-- laughed in an evil demeanor

.Or something alike. TEEHEE. Now I am not wondering why Cadence hated Sombra on the day the Crystal Kingdom appeared :p

3782116
Well, you see, this story is written primarily in limited first person view. I can't show whatever battle may have occurred, because Cadence was passed the fuck out. No narrator = no story.

And honestly, it's been so long since I've looked at it, I don't remember many of the fine details. However, I can tell you that Cadence hated Sombra, in this universe, because he sort of kind of killed her parents, tried to kill her, and took over her country.

3782523 Makes sense :p
But I was half expecting an awesome fight-to-the-death shit xD
Since you know, we could always switch a point of view... Well, not that I didn't like it, the story's cool.


3782570 Of course... what else? xD

3785207
We're actually debating on writing the second part of the trilogy right now. If you have some time, could I ask you to come vote on something? Handy-dandy link

3785641
God damn it, Cloudy, get out of here!

3785640 Gladly. However, I'm being tortured of choosing between OctaScratch and Shining X Cadence... You cruel author xD
But I'd have to choose OctaScratch for a change... but the 2nd one's awesome too T^T
xD Choices.
3785641 Books :twilightsmile:

3785679
3785682
*gets the biggest stick he owns*

Going to murder both of you

3785687
TEEHEE xD
But it'll be my last comment anyways since I'm running out of creative comments.

:applecry:
Such Sad
So Tears
Much Cry
Very Down
Really Whine

The premise reminds me of that Charlotte Doyle book.

3897550 Uh, explain and inform please?

3897563 'Kay. The book's called "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle." It's a about a girl from 1832 who boards a ship called the Seahawk. Her father had to move to America, but he wanted his daughter, Charlotte, to finish school first, so she was going to travel alone. But, he arranged for some other families to be on with her. Her father told her to keep a journal to tell him what happened. The crew members warned her about going on, saying that it was a bad idea. Yet, she didn't want to disappoint her father, so she went on anyway. The crew members wear dirty, ripped up clothes and the ship looks rather old. Right away, an old man working on the ship goes up to her and asks her to be his friend. He says that he needs a friend to be there for him if he dies on the ship. He then gives her a knife, saying that she needs it because it's dangerous aboard their ship. She quickly befriends the captain, the only civilized one on board. He tells her that she needs to inform him if anything bad happens with his crew. He says that they may start a riot. He then shows her his collection of guns. She, frightened beyond belief, walks away and ends up once again talking to that old man, Zacharia. He says that the captain isn't to be trusted because he is not what he seems. He abused his crew members and cut off one's arm for doing something he didn't like. He says that everyone on board planned to start a riot and kill the captain, or at least make his surrender. Another crew member asks for a needle and she, being the helpful person she is, went to their quarters to get one. She hears whispering behind the door, talking about their revenge plans. She knocks anyway and is let in. Everyone pretends to be asleep. She goes to the crew member's chest to get the needle and finds a gun. In her panic, she stumbles back, hitting a pieces of paper off its resting place. She puts it back, but sees that it's a round robin, something signifying allegiance during a protest. She reports her findings to the captain. He gets his guns and goes outside onto the deck. The crew also comes out, holding knifes, guns and other weapons. The one whose arm was cut off quickly gets shot. He then asks Charlotte who she wants to have die first. She doesn't answer. He chooses Zacharia and then ties him up and orders his first mate to whip him, 50 lashes. Charlotte doesn't want him to hurt him, so after a few hits she shoves him and takes the whip. While this is happening she accidentally hits the captain with it, cutting his cheek. Now, just to make you really sad, I'm not going to tell you what happens after this point. This is about halfway through the story. Also, this ties in with this story because the whole time she keeps a journal. It starts as just a diary, but ends up being what she confesses all of her fears to and keeps track of things in.

3897664
The only wall of text allowed around here are my stories. tl;dr

3897667 Feel free to delete the comment.

3897664 Nice wall of text there. I haven't seen one that big in all my years.:trollestia:

I'm just messing with you.:moustache:

3897683 :ajsmug: I could've made paragraphs, but I'm lazy, so you get a wall of text.

More, please! :heart:

Found this buried deep (okay, maybe not that deep) within my bookshelves and remembered how much I loved it. I see you're still around, and if you ever decide that you're going to be continuing with the other parts of this story, you'll always have one reader here.

Login or register to comment