• Published 28th Sep 2011
  • 7,349 Views, 88 Comments

Land of Giant Ponies - Hereward



An experimental spaceship accidentally takes some humans to Equestria.

  • ...
15
 88
 7,349

If They Speak...

Big Macintosh crouched down to get a better look at this strange bug. It seemed to be bipedal and was making frantic noises that had a pony-esque tone to them.

"What are you?" He queried in his simple monotone voice. It turned its back on him and fought its way through the grass; in just one minute Macintosh's hoof barred its path. He was surprised to find that it hardly moved since insects and suchlike were typically very fast for their size.

Laura was struck tharn in response to her predicament. A massive talking horse had taken a frightening interest in her and she was determined not to be treated like a bug, however it seems that her relatively small size gave her no real advantage in speed. Cornered by a huge hoof she turned to see his great head zooming in towards her; the sight of such a colossal creature taking an interest in her resulted in an instinctive backing up right against the giant's hoof. In no time at all her view was filled by his muzzle, every twitch of the lips clearly evident. She scrunched her eyes shut and squealed.

"Don't eat me!" The giant pony withdrew his muzzle a little and provided her with a good look of the underside of his chin.

Big Macintosh was stunned. Whatever this thing was it could talk even though its voice was so feeble he could barely hear what it was saying. However he could determine that it thought he was a predator in spite of the fact that he was undoubtedly a pony. He replied in a relatively soft voice but it still seemed to intimidate this tiny creature.

"Don't be scared." He said. "I don't want to hurt you." With practiced skill he rapidly whipped his hoof round and scooped it up, eliciting a squeak of surprise and alarm as he lifted it up to his eye level as he sat down. "Have you never seen a pony before?"

Laura was gobsmacked as she found herself actually sitting on the hoof of a giant talking pony who didn't seem to be thinking the situation as being particularly drastic. Nevertheless she couldn't visualise any situation where she'd survive if she didn't obey her equine captor.

"I...I know of ponies, but none of them are talking titans." She braced herself for fear of being squashed.

"And what are you?" He boomed, almost blowing her off his hoof with his breath.

"H...h...human." She answered.

Big Macintosh thought things over. This tiny creature was evidently female, she was no bigger than one of his teeth, she could speak Equestrian, she apparently never heard of ponies being able to talk, she seemed unused to being so small and from what he could see of her there was something monkey-like about her.

"Please stay calm." He whispered. "My family will do what we can to help you." He tilted his hoof, once again causing her to yelp, and plopped her onto his muzzle. "How did you learn Equestrian?" He asked as he stood up to take her back home with him.

"How come you can speak English?" She chanced, causing him to cock an eyebrow. They spoke the same language but called them by different names?!?


Capt. Hewlett led Jenny and Sheila through the woods in pursuit of the sun. So far there was little of any consequence to be found; the trees seemed to be oversized versions of maples, chestnuts and oaks and now and again there was movement in the canopy above, which seemed to be caused by something resembling a squirrel. Eventually a significant break occurred and they stood looking out over a wide barren stretch of land at another load of trees in the distance.

"Those plough lines look funny." Jenny New remarked. "Almost like giant wheel tracks." Hewlett looked about him all of a sudden.

"Giant wheel tracks..." He mused, "Giant trees. Of course, this whole world is on a giant scale. I'm not sure how it can function on this kind of scale since there seems to be little difference in the gravity but it can be the only explanation."

"So what are we gonna do?" Sheila Cowling asked. "If this is a world of giants then how might we negotiate with them?"

"Looking at these tracks it could well be a pre-industrial civilisation." He answered. "If we offer them the chance to modernise perhaps they'll be more reasonable."

"Perhaps." Jenny pointed out. "If not we could well be up the creek without a paddle."

Meanwhile Diane Pugh and Charles Holland returned to the SS Horus with a gallon of water to test and, hopefully, process for consumption. The five who had remained at the crash site were relieved to see them but were disappointed that all they had to offer was water.


James Benson was now sitting on a giant pincushion upon a coffee table with the massive yellow ungulate constantly watching over him, almost as though she was a giant nurse looking after a bite-size patient. The rabbit that had caught him was sitting in the background, nibbling on a carrot with a rather smug look on its face.

"What are you?" The female behemoth asked. "Are you hurt? Is there anything I can get you?" James was amazed at how she seemed so frantic when she could dispose of him so easily.

"I...I'm a human." He replied. She now gasped with such power he was almost pulled of the 'cushion.

"You can talk?!?" She practically roared. "I didn't know something so small could talk like anyone else. Human?" She lifted a hoof to her chin, betraying to him the fact that she was of an equine nature. "I've never heard of a human before. What do humans eat?" There was a long pause as James thought over what he typically ate as well as what society constantly pestered him to eat.

"Meat, fish, grain, fruit, veg, nuts, berries." Before he could come up with any other food group his host raised herself to her full height on all four legs.

"Oh. You're omnivores." With that she trotted away with James staring at her gargantuan bobbing body swiftly moving into another room. He felt even more vulnerable now as he was concerned by the way that rabbit kept looking at him; at least the horse-thing was not-only capable of talking in English but also seemed to be genuinely concerned for his well-being. James figured that if he played his cards right she'd keep him safe and sound, believing that calling her 'master' would get him into her good books. Before he could dwell any more on that he heard her hoof-falls returning before her head appeared round the corner of the nearby chair, casting him into shadow. She held a basket in her mouth, which she set down beside him before moving round to curl up on the chair, placing her chin level with his eye-level.

"I got a selection of foodstuffs from the pantry." She told him. "If you can't get into the basket from there just tell me and I'll put you in myself." James looked up at the hamper provided. It seemed to be seventy feet up to the brim and he certainly didn't want to chance it; he strolled towards his host and said.

"Beg pardon, master, but I fear that I daren't chance a seventy foot climb up your basket."

"Oh, okay." She lifted a hoof up to the table top and waited for him to climb aboard. "But my name's Fluttershy, not Master." James was surprised by this reply.

"Are you sure you don't want me to call you 'master'?" He asked as he sat upon her hoof.

"Only if you really want to." She answered. "Um, do you have a name?" By the time he found the gall to answer she already held him level with the brim of the basket.

"I'm James, James Benson." He cautiously stepped off Fluttershy's hoof and struggled to balance himself on the raffia.

"Oh, that's a cute name." She replied. "Can I call you 'Jamie'?" He looked up at her building-sized eyes as if to say 'are you serious'.

"You're the giant, Miss Fluttershy." He answered. "You can call me what you like." Such an answer made Fluttershy well up with joy. The sight of her enormous face curl up so made his heart melt like ice in the sun. This was fixed as he yelped from tumbling over the edge and into her gift basket.


Harry and Angela stood back as they listened to the door of the pod hiss and clank as it unlocked without permission. Two painfully long minutes passed when, suddenly, the door opened. An enormous magenta eye peered in through the opening, a strange tingling sensation engulfed their bodies and they felt themselves floating towards the door; they found themselves incapable of fighting this strange energy and in a matter of seconds they were out in the open right under the gaze of the two alien titans.

Picking themselves up Harry and Angela now got their most comprehensive view of their captors so far. The first one was a tall light purple creature built like some kind of horse with a horn poking out from her mane, reminding Harry of the old myth about the unicorn; it looked down at them with apprehensive fascination, its eyes shimmering with an intelligence at once familiar and alien. The other was beyond giant where they were concerned and held itself in a most regal manner, confirming the idea that it was a figure of great influence amongst these creatures, it also radiated an aura that came across as a force beyond comprehension, very nearly making Harry believe he was in the presence of a god but his scientific cynicism held that thought back. Nevertheless Angela felt as though she was in the dock awaiting trial as this magnificent being scrutinising them with a compassionate but slightly judgemental air.

Princess Celestia knew from her multiversal studies that humans were fully capable of speech as mortal ponies would understand it but she couldn't be sure what language the two now standing before her spoke, so she did the only thing that would clear things up rapidly. Putting on her most diplomatically appropriate expression she spoke.

"Hello. Kon·nichi wa. Bonjour. Jamboyra. Hola. Guten Tag. Zhini privet. Hao. Hrunghaha. Wloophimil. Grétan. Cyfarch. Avete. Geia sas. Hej. Nhryiun."

The sound of the gigantic equine's voice caused them to step back a few paces but Angela was the one who opted to take shelter behind Harry.

"W...What the $@*\ was that?" Angela blurted out. Resulting in a cocked eyebrow from the massive regal figure rising before them.

"I think she's trying to tell us something." Harry answered. "Beggin' your pardon, miss." He called up. "But what is it you want?"

Princess Celestia's muzzle curled up in puzzlement. They spoke perfect Equestrian but seemed to have mistaken her plethora of greetings as a whole sentence. She decided to clear things up.

"Excuse me." She replied. "But I was merely extending the greetings of Equestria; it's just that I wasn't sure what language you spoke so I opted to use a standard greeting from a selection of languages that I've had experience of sapient races using." She neglected to point out that she knew other languages that no one alive at that time could even pronounce save for her sister and, presumably, Discord.

"I hope my companion hasn't caused offense with her loose tongue." The miniature figure answered. "We are humans from the planet Earth, but it seems we became lost during an attempt to fly at speeds much closer to that of light." Twilight was most bewildered by this biped's account and couldn't help but make a few notes on the matter.

"But this is Earth." She stated, thusly making her tiny guests approximately as confused as herself.

"My dearest Twilight," Celestia answered, "You may find that in worlds occupied by beings that speak the same language they'll name their home-worlds the same as their linguistic counterparts in spite of being in completely different places." Now the three of them within earshot of Princess Celestia's statement had to stop and consider the full implications of what she had said.

Author's Note:

After all this time I've finally come up with something. Although I fear that the cliffhanger this time round may be a bit of an anti-climax.

Comments ( 31 )

OMG !!! New chapter !!! Thx!:pinkiehappy:

This story has been MIA for nearly a year! :pinkiegasp:

...well, then. Time to settle down and read. :twilightsmile:

Finally you updated!:pinkiehappy:
Keep going! =3

Good to see thinks still alive and kicking. :)
And I loved the scene with James and Fluttershy--super cute!

Glad the story is back in action. :moustache:

Dammit, it had so much potential, but I don't think it will be updated anytime soon given that after 3 days it will have been one month since it was last updated.

3150864
Dude. It was nearly a year between the last two updates. :facehoof: The story isn't dead, just slow as molasses in the Antarctic.

3156479 Actually, the last chapter was published at August 6th of this year, which means that at September 6th it will have been a month since the last chapter update.

3156858
...and the chapter before that was posted on Dec 26th 2012. I'm trying to make the point that the story isn't dead. It just takes the author an ungodly long time to update.

3156896 Oh. Makes sense.

And I knew that the previous story was published at December 26th, just saying.

Great chapter! please continue!

What's interesting is that a lot of cloppy fetish stuff can happen if it just took a wayward turn.
Like and accident involving...I'm not sure what the term is so I'm just going to say Flank crush or something like that.

Ughhhhhhhhhh.................... epic person please update. :facehoof:

This story is really good! One of the best one's I've ever read here on fimfiction! I can't wait for the next chapters! :yay:

I like this a lot. Please continue soon! :ajsmug:

And there it goes, never to find another story like it!

*insert waiting song here*

Reads story. "Hmm, not bad... Interesting picture, I wonder if the tiny people will be super high quality, because they were shrunk." *zoom* *zoom again* wait... Is that...? *zoom* Hah! It is. Well played Sir artist.

5261327 You are familiar with OtterP's work?

5261336 No, I didn't know who the author is, I was just sending out a general compliment.

5261378 Well, I'm the author but OtterP was the artist, so...

5261383 sorry, wrong word, meant artist. Still complimnts to the both of you.

This story sounds alot like Pikmin in a way...

How are you updating this so fast? I barely have any free time to read! Please slow down a little. :ajbemused:

6908085 You're kidding me, right. I've had writer's block on the subject of this work for two years now.

Where is the continuation? :D

I hope you get to up this someday once you're writer's block is taken care of.

9809725
They'll get there eventually

It's 2024. Guess The author lost interest. It's ok though.

11852702
I have periodically considered looking for someone to take up the baton for this, it's just a question of who might have the interest while retaining the characteristics established before S2E25.

Login or register to comment