• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 890 Views, 29 Comments

All the Time in the World - twow443



Dinky's past, present and future hangs in the balance as she fights to preserve Equestria's timeline.

  • ...
3
 29
 890

Time to Learn

Home of Derpy Hooves-Present Day-8:00 P.M.

“Dinky! Time to wake up, dear!”

“Meeeh...” My mother's voice cut through the haze that I found myself in, sleepily yawning. “Alright...!”

I crawled out of bed, landing on the ground with a thud. The shock partly woke me up, allowing me to stumble out of the room. I slipped into the bathroom, quickly brushing my teeth and rinsing my face off. “Phew! There we go.” I said, smiling at myself in the mirror. “Now I'm awake...and I better get moving.”

I ran into my room, quickly collecting everything I needed for school and tossing it into my bag. “Pencil...notebook...can't forget my homework...” I stopped, noticing the magic book on the ground. “Better give that back to Twilight today.” In a flash, I slipped the book into my bag. “Alright. Let's go.”

I ran down the steps, skidding into the kitchen where my mom was. “Morning, Mom!”

She turned towards me and smiled, dashing over to hug me. “Good morning, my little muffin. Did you sleep well?”

I nodded. “Like a foal!” My mom kissed me on the forehead before turning back to the sink.

“Breakfast's on the table, dear.” I jumped up to my chair, seeing a chocolate muffin on my plate.

“Something special today?” I asked. Normally I didn't get really sugary muffins on school days.

My mom looked back at me. “There's a little filly around here that's found her special talent...” My eyes widened as I looked down at my side.
How did I forget that? I thought to myself. My mom giggled to herself. “I'm so happy! Do you know what it is?”

I racked my brain for an explanation. “Um...I always know what time it is.” That wasn't a lie, it just wasn't the entire truth.

“Oh?” My mom said. “What time is it right now?”

I thought for a second. “It's...about 8:10.” My mom smiled and nodded.

“Good girl! That's a wonderful talent!” She said, turning back to me. “Now hurry up. You're going to be late.”

I gasped and chowed on the muffin. “Okay! I'm ready!”

“You aren't going to want anything else?” My mom asked, sitting next to me. “You haven't been eating much in the morning.”

I shook my head. “Nope! I'm ready to go!”

“Alright.” My mom said, standing up. “Let's go.”

Ponyville Elementary-Present Day-8:40 A.M

The schoolhouse came into view, all of my classmates playing around in the front yard. My mom tapped me with a wing, causing me to look at her. “Yes, mom?”

“Did you have any plans after school today, dear?” She asked.

“I was going to give the book back to Twilight today.” I said. “I had some more questions for her about magic.”

“Oh, that's good.” We reached the yard and stopped, my mom smiling at me. “Don't come home late, alright?”

I nodded and gave her a hug. “You got it!” My mom waved and flew up, almost crashing into the ground before she managed to take off.

I smiled at her fading figure before I turned around. “Alright.” I took off on a quick trot towards the school, hoping to get inside before anypony saw my cutie mark.

Because that was going to happen. “Dinky! Hey!” I turned to see Sweetie Belle running up to me, a bit smile on her face. “You...you got your cutie mark!” She jumped at me and gave me a big hug.

I hugged her back, smiling. “I hope this doesn't mean that I'm getting kicked out of the Crusaders.”

Sweetie gasped. “Of course not! Maybe you can help us figure out ours now.” She giggled. “At least we have a little hope now.”

I grinned. “Yeah. Come on, I wanna get inside before...”

“Well, well. What's this?” A snide-sounding voice came from behind us.

“That.” The two of us turned to see Diamond walking up to us. “Where's Silver?” I asked.

Diamond ran a hoof through her mane. “She's not here yet. But that's not what I'm here to talk about.” She pointed at my flank. “I see you're not a blank flank anymore.”

“Well, yeah. I'm glad you could see that, Diamond.” I said to her. “What do you want?”

“I just wondered what it meant. What your talent is.” She said.

“Oh, um...” I stammered for a moment. “I always know what time it is!”

Diamond didn't look impressed. “Really. Figures.”

Sweetie snapped at her. “Hey! Be nice!”

“Oh, should I?” Diamond said, turning her nose up. “Forgive me if I'm not super impressed that Dinky can always let us know when its lunchtime.”

I frowned. “There's some reason that she's so mean to us...” I thought to myself. Wait a minute... “Sweetie, I'll be right back, okay?”

“Um, alright?” She said, mostly focusing on Diamond.

I dashed away, running behind the schoolhouse. “It's only been a year...I think...” I sat down and shut my eyes, lighting my horn up. “Let's see here...” Suddenly, I heard hoofsteps.

“Dinky, I...” Sweetie turned the corner and crashed into me, causing my magic to spike. “Sweetie! Let go of me!”

It was too late though. In an instant, the world around us dissolved into the purple walls of the timestream, Sweetie holding me tight. I shut my eyes. “One year. Only one year.” A bright flash surrounded us, our vision fading away.

Ponyville Schoolhouse-One year in the past-12:00 P.M.

Sweetie Belle and I held each other close as I felt the spell finally cut off. I let go of Sweetie and slumped down, tired.

Sweetie instantly knelt down, rubbing my head. “Dinky? Are you okay? What happened?!”

I took a few deep breaths, managing to sit up. “F-fine...Give me a second.” I closed my eyes, thinking to myself. “We are...phew. I was able to set it to only a year.” I opened my eyes. “I thought you were glaring at Diamond.”

Sweetie looked to the side, fidgeting. “I was...but she ran off just after you did. I was worried, so I followed you...” Her voice trailed off as she looked around. “What happened?”

I sighed. “My cutie mark...it's not just limited to knowing what time it is. I'm...well, I'm a time traveler now.”

“A...time traveler?” Sweetie Belle asked, tilting her head. “No way.”

“I know it doesn't look like it, but that's because we're behind the school.” I countered, waving my hooves around. “That, and we only went a year back.”

Sweetie adopted a confused look on her face. “So...how do we know?”

I sighed. “Fine. Let's take a quick look at the front. It's lunch, so we'll be outside.” I held up a hoof as she started to walk. “Stay hidden. I don't want to accidentally mess up time.”

Sweetie nodded. “Got it. I'll just...stick behind you.”

The two of us snuck along the side of the schoolhouse until we could see the front yard. I motioned for Sweetie to duck down a bit. “Hey Sweetie...I can see you...Scootaloo...”

“I think all of our classmates are there...” Sweetie said. “You aren't though...wonder why.”

I rubbed my chin. “Oh, I remember. We were still in Cloudsdale on vacation...I think. Only reason I can think of...”

Sweetie smacked me. “Dinky, look!” I snapped out of my memories to see Diamond Tiara talking to a group of older fillies.

“So you got your cutie mark, hmm...?” A green filly with a yellow mane said in an all too familiar tone. “What's it mean?”

Diamond turned her head to the side, mumbling. From where we were, neither of us could hear what she said, but the fillies around her sure could.

“Oh, really?” I didn't see who spoke next, Diamond's body being in the way. “Just being rich? How is that a talent?”

Sweetie tapped me, causing me to drop next to her. “So...Diamond's talent is being rich? That's....what?”

I rubbed my head. “No, no There's something we're missing.”

Sweetie tilted her head. “What are you talking about, Dinks?”

“You don't remember?” I asked. “Diamond got her cutie mark this summer.”

Sweetie looked very confused. “She...did? I...don't fully remember that.”

I frowned. “Could it be that time is being messed with already? And it it really something this small?” I looked up at my friend. “Come on, Sweetie. I'm feeling strong enough to get us back.”

“Wait.” Sweetie said. “Maybe we can learn something else!”

I shook my head. “I shouldn't be traveling yet...I'm not ready. I need to talk to Twilight.”

Sweetie stood up, sliding behind me again. “Hmm...okay. But can you please explain all this to me when we talk to her? Because I'm really confused.”

I nodded, walking backwards from the front of the school. “Yeah...I will. But...” I paused for a moment, staring into the yard. “I need to come back here...”

Sweetie tugged on my mane. “Yeah, yeah. Now come on!” I followed her, glancing back one more time.

The two of us ran behind the schoolhouse, hearing the bell signal the end of lunchtime. “Okay. Now do...that thing you do.” Sweetie said, clutching my leg. I nodded and sparked my horn up. As I concentrated, I saw the familiar purple streams of the timestream begin to wrap around us. In a flash, I sent the two of us on our way.

Ponyville Schoolhouse-Present Day-8:35 A.M.

The rushing winds and the floating purple clocks of the timestream faded, making way for the calm autumn of Ponyville. Sweetie Belle and I softly landed on the ground, having moved to the side of the school instead of behind it. “Uh...what?” Sweetie asked, confused.

My eyes slightly widened. “Wait...we were behind the school, right? How did we move?”

Sweetie smacked me on the head and dashed away. “We'll worry about that later, Dinky! We're late! Everypony's inside already!”

I ran after her, seeing that she was right. I puffed my cheeks with a sigh. “Wonderful.”

Golden Oaks Library-Present Day-4:10 P.M.

After being scolded for being late, being congratulated for receiving my cutie mark, and doing three math sheets over because I so enjoy it, the school day was finally over. I had been able to hide my special talent, telling Miss Cheerilee that I would show it off the next day. Thanking the Princess, Sweetie and I ran towards the library. Sweetie had told the other Crusaders that we would be busy, so they wouldn't wonder. Me on the other hoof, I knew that I was probably going to miss the next meeting.

It didn't take a long time to reach the library, but we did have to rest a bit when we got there. I smacked the door a few times, taking a deep breath. “Well...” I gasped. “That..was less then fun.”

Sweetie grinned through her pants. “Hey...if you're gonna waltz through time...then you gotta be prepared for anything.”

I mock glared at her as the door rattled and opened, Spike in the door frame. “Oh! Hey Dinky and Sweetie. What are you two doing...and are you alright?”

“Fine...” I said, standing up. “Is Twilight here?”

Spike looked back into the library. “Yeahhhh...come on in. She's just doing what she always does.”

Sweetie and I exchanged glances and walked into the library. And Spike sure wasn't lying...Twilight was sitting on the ground, surrounded by books. As we stood behind her, she turned her head to look at us with a smile. “Oh! Hello girls! How are you two?”

“We're great!” I replied. “How are you doing?”

Twilight waved her hooves at the books all around her. “Just reorganizing! Did you two need something?”

Sweetie pointed at me. “I'm with her.”

“Thanks, Sweetie.” I walked towards Twilight and sat down, pulling the book about time out of my backpack. “Look, Twilight! I got my cutie mark!”

Twilight's eyes widened and she smiled as she saw it. “Dinky, that's great! I guess you were right about your prediction, hmm?”

I smiled at her. “It was just a thought, Twilight. And actually...I wanted to ask for your help.”

“Oh?” Twilight put the book she was holding down, twisting herself around to look at the two of us. “How can I help?”

Sweetie and I sat down in front of her as Spike left the room. “My special talent...can you guess what it is?”

Twilight smiled at us. “Well, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that it has to do with time. The clock and all.”

“That's not just it, Twilight!” Sweetie said, shaking with joy. “It's-

I placed my hoof over her face. “Shh! I want her to guess!'

Twilight rubbed her chin. “Hmm...I'm sorry, Dinky. It's been a bit of a day. Can you just tell me?”

I pretended to stall before I just smiled. “Sure. I can travel through time!”

Twilight slightly frowned before her horn sparked, several books floating around her head. “Really? I...didn't think that was an actual thing. That kind of magic would be very, very old...and really hard to cast. Not to mention dangerous.

“It's true though!” Sweetie spoke up, pushing my hoof away from her mouth. “We went back a year today!”

Twilight moved the books down to look at us. “Dinky...I'm afraid that I am not fully understanding what you're trying to tell me. How about you two join me in here and tell me the whole story?” She pushed some of the books aside to let us into the circle.

Sweetie jumped right in, but I took a few moments to think. “The Princess told me to tell the ones I trust the most...and I don't trust anyone else more than these two...well, my mom.” I walked into the circle of books and sat down. “Alright.”

Twilight happily smiled, closing the books to make a perfect circle again. “Alright, Dinky. Start from the beginning and I'll write down the important parts, alright?” A pen and notepad floated over to her, landing in the middle of us.

Sweetie laid down, getting comfortable. “Go on, Dinky! I'm ready!”

“Alright.” I said. “It all started when I got home with that book...”

Golden Oaks Library-Present Day-4:50 P.M.

“And then we came here!” I took a deep breath, my story finally complete. Sweetie was looking on with wide eyes and Twilight was scribbling a few more notes into a notepad.

“Hmm...” Twilight mumbled to herself. “So the only way that you'll be able to stop...whoever is doing this to time is to learn all the types of it?”

I nodded. “But..I have no idea where to even begin. I can't just jump around time and hope to randomly come across the pony that knows it.”

Sweetie Belle spoke up. “I have an idea, Dinky. Twilight, you know nothing about time magic?”

“I didn't know what Dinky wanted before is what the problem was. But...” Twilight sparked her horn, flipping through several books. “But if she need to learn about specifics...I think I know what I can find...Spike! Could you come here?”

We heard movements from above us and in a small bit, Spike walked into the room. “Yeah? What's up, Twilight?”

“Spike...do you remember the book I had on time...I think we called it...The Rules of the Timeline...or something like that?” Twilight asked, continuing to flip through her books in front of us.

Spike tapped his chin with a claw for a little bit. “Twilight, you don't remember? We lost that book like six months ago. We had spring cleaning again.”

“Ohhh, darn it!” Twilight smacked her forehead with her hoof. “You're right! That was a really hectic cleaning! Thank you, Spike.”

“No problem.” Spike sort of...wandered into the kitchen while Twilight fretted.

“I'm really sorry, girls. That would really...” Twilight froze completely for a moment before her eyes lit up. “Oh, I'm so stupid! Dinky, you can go get the book!”

I shook my head. “I can't take things out from their place in time...I don't think. And I don't think I want to try.”

Sweetie put the book she was holding down. “I got it! Dinky, if they lost the book, you could go back and find where they put it! Then you can come back here and tell us where it ended up!”

Twilight clapped her hooves together. “Wonderful idea, Sweetie Belle! Dinky, would you be able to check for the book?”

“Well, if it helps, they sure!” I stood up and hopped out of the circle. “How far back was it?”

Twilight tapped the notepad for a little bit. “It was in the spring...I believe that you need to go back about six months, on the first day. Got it?”

I nodded. “Got it!”

Sweetie Belle jumped over to me and hugged me tight. “Good luck, Dinky! And come back safe!”

I grinned and hugged her back. “Expect nothing less.” I moved back from her and stood in the middle of the room. I sparked my horn, seeing the room peel away to show the purple of the timeline. Shutting my eyes for a moment, I concentrated on moving back six months as Twilight had said. With a final flash, Twilight's room melted away as I sped backwards in time.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment