• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 415 Views, 5 Comments

The Ballad of Maxie Ruby Part 1: A New Friendship - DarkMoxand12



Twilight Sparkle wasn't the only unicorn trained under Princess Celestia...

  • ...
1
 5
 415

"I Have To Do What Now?!"

Cathleen couldn't be more stunned at who appeared at the door. A small, male purple dragon soon stood before her as Cathleen started to blush.

"Oh hey! I've never seen you before. I'm Spike. What's your name?" Spike reached out his claw to grab Cathleen's. Cathleen just started daydreaming with an aura of hearts and flowers.

"Oh wow...He looks so handsome...His spikes, his kindness, his generosity...It's like what I dreamed..." Cathleen losing herself in her own world soon interrupted by hoof steps from Maxie walking towards the door; Cathleen soon scurried behind Maxie...blushing.

"What's wrong with her?" Spike scratched his head looking towards Maxie.

"Oh it's nothing," Maxie laughs. "Cathleen hasn't met any other dragons her age so she's kinda shy. I'm Maxie Ruby."

"Yeah I know. I'm Spike; assistant to Twi-I mean Princess Twilight Sparkle. She sent me over to Welcome you to Ponyville." Spike smiled.

"You're Princess Twilight's assistant? You sure are young still." Maxie snickered. "Anyway so what else can I do for you?"

"Well she also wanted you to have this letter." Spike soon opened his claw with the letter as Maxie used his levitation spell to open the letter.

"What's it say?" Cathleen's eyes grew wide.

"It's says, 'Dear Maxie Ruby, I've heard so much about you and your family history. It will be a honor for me to become your teacher. Considering that this is my first assignment of being a Princess from Princess Celestia herself. Anyways, I took a quick trip Canterlot and will be back around sunset. Hope to finally meet you. Princess Twilight Sparkle.' " Maxie raised an eyebrow. Cathleen then looks over back to Spike.

"So Spike...Will we see you again?" Cathleen tried to keep from stuttering.

" Yeah. Later this evening around 3. Oh! Also Pinkie Pie wants you to come to SugarCube Corner for a surprise." Spike smiles.

"Pinkie who?" Maxie scratched his head.

"Just go to SugarCube Corner in a hour. It's the bakery in town with the cupcake on top of the roof you can't miss it." Spike said. Cathleen blushed again and Maxie gave a small smirk.

"Alright thank you Spike. See ya at 3." Maxie waved to Spike dismissively as he walked out the door. Closing it behind him; he turns to Cathleen with a drooped face. "No."

"Oh c'mon Maxie. You need to relax and go to the surprise. It may be fun." Cathleen sighed.

"My idea of 'fun' is not being surprised. I mean what if this 'Pinkie Pie' is...off?" Maxie sat on his couch. Cathleen rolled her eyes.

"Really? Do you have to automatically assume that other ponies are off? You are so paranoid. You are going to the party with me weather you like it or not. Now freshen up; Trust me it'll be fun." Cathleen smiles and pushed Maxie off the couch towards the bathroom. Maxie groans and heads to the bathroom to 'freshen up' involving brushing his mane and brushing his teeth.
********************************************************************************************

An hour later; Maxie Ruby and Cathleen were nearly at the door at SugarCube Corner.

"This is the right place right?" Maxie observes the pink building.

"Yeah; the sigh does say SurgarCube Corner. Lets go in Maxie. The door is open you know?" Cathleen walks right in first hand.

"Will you slow down?!" Maxie galloped after her. While inside; it was dark all around. "I don't like this. Where is the light swich?" Maxie soon seen the nearest light switch and the lights flickered on. Soon an eruption of noise on many ponies surrounding Maxie and Cathleen.

SURPRISE!!!!!!!

Cathleen smiled. Maxie facehoofed.

"Hi. I'm Pinkie Pie and I threw this special party just for you!!!" Approached by the overjoyed Pinkie Pie; Maxie grinned disapprovingly.

"Hi how are you...?" Maxie tensed up.

"Weeeelllllll...Twilight told me that you were staying in Ponyville and to also become her student in magic which is really awesome and I wanted to throw this party so you can have a BIIIGGG smile and we also have cake, cookies, brownies, fudge, chocolate chip cookies and other goodies you might like and also would like to meet everypony here and I'm also having a dancing party outside with DJ PON-3 and Tech Beat later and I hope you can meet my best friends and hope they become your friends too along with everypony else here like Rarity, AppleJack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Pinki- wait I'm Pinkie Pie and by the way I hope you are having the best time here at the party so are you enjoying yourself? Are you? Are you? Are you?!" Pinkie Pie gave a speech that made Maxie want to stuff Brownies in his ears instead of eating them. Cathleen was enjoying ice cream cake near the goodies table.

"Well you are very interesting Miss Pinkie Pie...Um can I please have goodies now?" Maxie grinned so awkwardly at Pinkie as she slowly started to walk away from her.

"Go right ahead Maxie. It's your party after all." Pinkie started to skip jump her way to Vinyl Scratch and the outside party. Maxie soon was over at the goodie table grabbing ice cream and brownies from the stand.

"This party is a little pointless; I'd rather have this on my birthday." Maxie mutter to himself.

"Sounds like you're not having a good time Maxie." A blue female Pegasus with standing right next to him eating a piece of chocolate cake. Then looked over to Maxie.

"Well, not a big party person. But if life gives you cake; you gotta eat it." Maxie sighed.

"I'm Novelle. Welcome to Ponyville." Novelle smiled.

"Well thank you...It's different here in town. I came out from Canterlot on a new mission: To train under Princess Twilight Sparkle." Maxie said.

"Really? Your talent is also magic and sorcery?" Novelle smiled.

"Yeah, it's not much but it's a talent of mine." Maxie ate another piece of his brownie.

"Not much? Why think so lowly of yourself? You were trained under Princess Celestia herself like Princess Twilight." Novelle smiled. "You're gonna be great as Princess Twilight's student." Maxie blushed, flattered by her kindness. Novelle smiled. "Anyways I have friends outside waiting for me; I'd like you to meet them as well." Maxie's eyes widened.

"More ponies...to meet...um...ugh...err...Cathleen are you-" Maxie turns to Cathleen as she glares right into Maxie's eyes.

"Maxie, you need to make new friends. I'll be fine in here; Now GO!!" Cathleen shoved Maxie towards Novelle outside to the dancing circle.

"C'mon Maxie; you'll like these guys a lot." Novelle soon started flying towards her small group of friends near the middle of the lot. Sitting at a table was a small trio of ponies; enjoying the sweets of the get-together. Slowly gliding down towards them, Novelle guides Maxie towards the group. " I'd like you to meet my friends." Maxie grins; pretending that he's slightly interested.

"Sup new guy. I'm Summer Breeze," With her mane a yellowish color and her coat Capri; Summer Breeze did in fact look like...summer. "Nice of you to drop by in Ponyville. Heard you are Princess Twilight's new student...seems pretty lame though." Summer's smug smile soon gave Maxie a uncomfortable feeling in his gut.

"Summer..." Novelle facehoofed.

"I mean no offence but you're very two-dimensional. Like come on...you're so uptight and...you're from Canterlot right?" Summer ranted.

"Um...yes?" Maxie raised an eyebrow as Summer decides to invade his personal space.

"Well...cool story bro." Summer laughed. "Well I'll be back. I want soda." She zipped back into SugarCube Corner with her cup in hoof.

"Does she always-" Maxie started.

"Act like that? Oh yeah. You'll get used to it." The teal pony soon approached Maxie. "I'm Tech Beat. I'm...a DJ/Producer. Not as good as Vinyl Scratch but aiming to impress. *sigh* Such a fox..."

"Crush much?" Maxie laughed.

"I wouldn't say crush but..." Tech started blushing.

"Don't beat around the bush Tech." A red unicorn with an Afro laughed. "I'm Crimson Star by the way. I came from Canterlot myself only recently."

"Really? How recent?" Maxie asked.

"Last Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville. I've wanted to travel away from the Royal City for a while." Crimson grinned nervously. "Ever since the Nightmare Moon thing; I kinda wanted to stay here for a while."

"A change of atmosphere?" Maxie said.

"Yeah...Just a bit." Crimson gave a awkward glance. Maxie thought he was looking at him but he was really looking towards-

"Pinkie Pie!" Novelle smiled. Pinkie bounced around near Maxie while nearby Cathleen soon joined.

"Oh my gosh! Maxie! The Cake's were so nice to make this Ruby Encrusted Cupcake for me. It looks so tasty." Cathleen soon started to lick the icing from the cupcake.

"Hi! Enjoying yourself?!" Pinkie mashed her face right into Maxie's with a giant smile.

"Personal space." Maxie grinned.

"I like space too! Even though I've never been there before; but Princess Luna told me stories. How about you, do you like space Mr?" Pinkie soon jolted towards Crimson's face.

"Err...Emm...Umm...Uhhh...*gasp*..." Crimson blushed. (If anypony could see it. He's Red!)

"You don't look too good. Maybe you should see a Doctor. Lalalalalalalala..." Pinkie soon skipped off towards the dancing area of the party. Crimson soon dropped to the ground on his back; pale as a sheet of paper in the face.

"Is he gonna be alright, Novelle?" Maxie turned to the slightly snickering blue mare.

"Don't worry he'll be ok. Now I believe we have a party to get back to-" Soon interrupted by Cathleen who soon burped up a scroll.

"Maxie. It's a letter from...Princess Twilight." Cathleen handed the letter to Maxie. Using his levitation spell, he opened the letter to read it.

"Dear Maxie, I hope you're enjoying your party. It was especially planned by me but Pinkie Pie wanted to add a few touches to it. Anyway I'll be arriving in Ponyville in 5 minutes. See you soon. Princess Twilight Sparkle." Maxie reread then his face soon turned pale. "Oh no..."

"Here we go..." Cathleen rolled her eyes.

"5 MINUTES?!!! CATHLEEN; WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE PRINCESS IS POSITIVE THAT WE CAN HANDLE THIS ASSIGNMENT!!!" Maxie frantically scurried around in circles.

"Maxie it's not a big deal..." Cathleen said.

"IT'S A HUGE DEAL CATHLEEN!!! HOW WILL I KNOW IF THE PRINCESS LIKES ME OR NOT? WHAT AM I NOT WORTHY!! WHAT AM I WORTHLESS IN HER EYES??!!" Letting out deep breaths; Maxie still continued to panic while all the surrounding ponies soon grew silent and stared towards the paranoid pony.

"Maxie..." Novelle whispered.

"MAYBE I NEED TO TAKE A TEST ONCE SHE ARRIVES!!! MY LIFE IS RUINED!!!!!" Maxie soon fell face front after tripping over the chairs near the tables. He soon peeks upward and realizes that he's was under Princess Twilight.

"Um Maximus Ruby...right?" Twilight asked. Maxie quickly jumped back on his feet to face his new mentor.

"Princess Twilight...Terribly sorry for the sudden panic attack...Yes I am Maximus Ruby the Third but everyone calls me Maxie for short." Maxie smiles nervously.

"Oh hello there. Please just call me Twilight. I'm still getting used to this Princess thing." Twilight laughs.

"No big deal... " Maxie grins.

"I would have came by later but I have a urgent assignment for you given to me by the Princess. Changelings have been spotted in areas of the Everfree Forest. I'm not sure that they are a 100% threat but I was informed that we needed to check." Twilight said. Maxie had a weird look frozen on his face.

"I have to do WHAT NOW?!"

Comments ( 5 )

Why the Random tag?

Comment posted by toastman deleted Jul 24th, 2013

needs a cover art and you should join groups, it'll help you get noticed!

2921599 nothing to do with Max and Ruby. XD Maxie is shortened from Maximus. Maxie is the son.

Comment posted by toastman deleted Jul 24th, 2013
Login or register to comment