• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 870 Views, 32 Comments

The Master Game - WanderingPhysicist



The Master shows up in Ponyville to torment his old 'friend', The Wandering Physicist. Instead, he ends up harassing everypony TWP cares for as a distraction while he tries to conquer Equestria.

  • ...
1
 32
 870

Deus Ex Ending

The Master stands by the doors leading to the Elements of Harmony, cackling like a madpony. His insane laughter echoes through the hall. The gathered ponies barely have the energy to face the foe. The Master’s laugher reaches a crescendo and suddenly stops. The rogue Time Lord is frozen in place. Everypony is shocked at the turn of events. Rei and Celestia creep forward. They look at each other and nod. Rei reaches out a hoof and taps The Master. She gets no reaction.

‘He’s dead,’ Rei states.

‘Not quite,’ a new voice says. ‘I placed him in a state of temporal lock. He’ll be virtually frozen until he can be dealt with properly.’ There is a slight pause. ‘The husband is calling the disposal crew.’

Everypony looks back. Twilight Sparkle is standing beside a newly-appeared doorway. Behind her, James is on his mobile.

‘Theta, we have a bit of a pick-up for you,’ the stallion says as he trots out. ‘The wife put him on ice so there isn’t a rush. Toodles.’

James hangs up his mobile and looks up in time to get tackled in a hug.

‘Daddy!’ Rei and Del cheer as they squeeze the life from their father.

‘Heh, heh. Hey, girls,’ James laughs, hugging his daughters.

Twilight laughs at her husband and his daughters until she is tackled in a hug as well.

‘TWILIGHT!’ Pinkie cries from the center of the group hug with all her friends. ‘I missed you so much! It has been forever!’

‘It hasn’t been that long, Pinkie,’ Twilight laughs. ‘It was only’ -- she turns to her husband -- ‘what?’

James escapes his daughters. ‘About five hundred years, give or take a decade.’

‘Yeah, only five hundred years,’ Twilight agrees. Her friends stare at her in shock. She gives Pinkie an extra big hug. ‘I’ve missed you all so much. We have a lot of catching up to do.’

‘F-f-f-f-fi-’ Pinkie stammers.

‘I know,’ Twilight groans. ‘I look ancient, but I’m still the same Twilight.’

‘Ancient, darling?’ Rarity snorts. ‘You look the same as you did seven years ago.’

‘Seven years passed?’ Twilight asks. ‘A lot must have happened.’ She sighs. ‘I wish I was there for it.’

‘Fi-fi-five h-hu-hu-hu-’ Pinkie continues.

‘Daddy doesn’t look five hundred,’ Del says, examining her father.

‘That’s because I’m eight hundred.’ He looks at Celestia. ‘Sorry, still prefer younger mares.’

The princess groans and rolls her eyes. James looks at his daughters. Rei looks the same as when he left. Del is much taller and looks more like Chrysalis than a regular changeling.

The stallion gasps, ‘Your brother!’

Satsuma jumps. He backs away, nervous about seeing his father for the first time. Applejack looks over at her son and smiles.

‘Right!’ Twilight agrees. She lets out a groan. ‘Where is he when we need him?’

The Sparkles get out their mobiles.

‘Wait, y’all ain’t talkin’ ‘bout..?’ Applejack begins.

Twilight shushes her friend. She counts down. The Sparkles put away their mobiles and shield their eyes. A blinding blue flash fills the hall.

‘Prepare to meet your doom!’ Starlight shouts at a wall. There is pop and his glasses land on his face, allowing him to see the stained glass window in front of him. ‘Discord!’ The unicorn spins around. ‘Am I late?’

Before anypony can say anything, Apple Bloom tackles the young stallion and gives him a big kiss. Starlight gasps for air when he is let free.

Apple Bloom shoves his note in his face. ‘Yes! A million times yes! Ah’ve been waitin’ mah whole life t’ tell ya “yes”!

The young mare gives the young stallion another big kiss. When let free again, Starlight stares up at Apple Bloom, his cheeks redder than her mane.

‘Really?’ Starlight asks, his voice cracking.

Apple Bloom nods and helps the young stallion up. Starlight kisses her on the cheek.

‘Mom! Dad!’ Starlight calls. ‘I’m going to marry Apple Bloom.’

Everypony stares, aghast, at what they just heard.

‘She is perfect for you,’ James shouts back.

‘That’s good,’ Twilight replies. ‘You’ll be wonderful together.’

‘Wait a second. You have a son,’ Rainbow Dash gapes.

‘Well, it was five hundred years,’ Twilight groans.

Applejack is in shock. ‘And he’s gonna marry mah sister? When did this happen?’

‘Well, we did meet a few years ago,’ Startlight says, trotting over.

‘He asked me back then,’ Apple Bloom adds, showing her sister the note.

‘But when ya said son, Ah thought ya meant...’

Applejack looks over at Satsuma. The others look too. The young colt tries hiding with the Cake twins. James jumps a bit.

‘Something else we have to talk about,’ the stallion nervously laughs.

‘There is much we have to converse about,’ Celestia states as she joins her friends. ‘I suggest we go to a better location if we are to continue our conversation.’

Despite a citywide riot just ending, Celestia has the palace chefs working overtime to cater the reunion in the main ballroom. All the ponies are celebrating the defeat of a major enemy and the return of their friends. James and Twilight are going around the party, trying to catch up with their friends individually.

The couple is chatting with Pinkie. The pink mare blushes and whispers something to her friends. They laugh and whisper something back to make her blush even more. They both kiss Pinkie on the cheeks, too. While Pinkie is calming down, Applejack trots up to the group. Before she can say anything, Pinkie snorts and trots away from her friends.

Twilight watches Pinkie go. ‘What was that about?’

Applejack groans. ‘She’s still sore ‘bout Satsuma.’

‘H-he’s my...’ James starts.

Applejack nods. ‘Ah don’ blame her fer bein’ upset. Ah lied t’ y’all. Ah even lied t’ ya at yer weddin’. Ah hurt everypony with mah actions.’

‘I’m sure Pinkie will forgive you some day,’ Twilight comforts.

‘It’s been a while, but Ah’m startin’ t’ get back t’ normal. She’s finally started invitin’ me t’ parties again.’ Applejack sighs and frowns. ‘Only t’ Satsuma’s birthday parties, but at least it’s somethin’...’

Twilight hugs her friend. ‘It will work out. I know it.’

Applejack backs away. ‘Y’all ain’t mad at me? Ah mean, Ah was pregnant with his boy durin’ yer weddin’. Ya were always yellin’ at me befer he proposed, and Ah even broke the promise Ah made then. Ya should be furious at me!’

Twilight tries not to laugh but ends up giggling. ‘Can I tell her?’

James tenses up and shakes nervously. ‘No,’ he squeaks.

‘Tell, me what?’

Twilight laughs. ‘A while back, long before Starlight was born, James had a little incident that offered infinite forgiveness for all of his dalliances when he was younger.’

The stallion squeaks. ‘So many legs. They were everywhere.’

‘We had a bit of a run-in with a giant insect queen. She quite fancied James.’

James shakes in terror. ‘I hate bugs.’

‘We spent the next few days in the medical bay removing all the eggs it laid. Very good bonding time. Literally too, since I had to reseal his stomach.’ Twilight nuzzles her husband. ‘He knows better than to do anything, or anypony, without my permission. Isn’t that right, dear?’

‘So many eggs. Couldn’t sit for weeks.’

Twilight smiles at her friend. ‘So in answer to your worries, I am not upset with either of you one bit. I just have to remind him of all the fun times we had.’

Applejack stares in shock. ‘Well, uh, that’s good t’ hear. Ah guess.’ She looks over at her sister and Starlight together. ‘Uh, yer boy doesn’t take after his father, does he?’

‘Not as far as we know,’ Twilight replies. ‘He has travelled on his own a bit since I taught him a time travel spell. This is the first we’ve seen him interact with anypony his age.’

‘So, he ain’t like ninety years old or somethin’?’

‘He’s twenty-two,’ Twilight groans. ‘He’s the same age as your sister.’

Applejack laughs. ‘Sorry fer upsetting ya. Jus’ didn’ wanna worry ‘bout mah sister.’

Twilight sighs and turns to her husband. ‘Aren’t you going to say anything?’

‘So many feelers. They were everywhere,’ the stallion whimpers.

Twilight groans and goes to catch up with her friends.
...

Apple Bloom introduces Starlight to her friends. The young mare stands proudly beside her coltfriend while Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stare in shock.

‘Told you he was real,’ Apple Bloom brags.

Dinky and Pipsqueak trot over. Behind them, Rei looks upset as she trots away.

‘So, are you the famous Starlight?’ Dinky asks.

Starlight grins. ‘Well, I’m not exactly famous, but that is a great start.’

Dinky smirks and holds a hoof towards Sweetie Belle. The other unicorn groans and puts a small bag of bits in the extended hoof.
...

Rei trots to a table, still deep in thought. A pair of forelegs wrap around her. She squeaks in fright.

‘You have no idea how much I miss doing this,’ James moans. ‘I always loved giving and getting hugs from my lovely Rei-chan.’

Rei sighs. ‘I love you, too, daddy.’

James sits beside his daughter. ‘It was, what? Three years ago? Your wedding?’

Rei nods. ‘Others don’t think you were really there, but Inkie and I were glad to have you two there.’

‘Anything for my little girl.’

The stallion is wrapped in a hug.

‘What about me?’

James leans back and half hugs Del. ‘Anything for you, too. How’s your sister doing?’

Del sits. ‘Chyssy is doing fine. She, uh...’

‘I know about her key. It is good that she gave it to you.’

Del smiles. ‘She also taught me a lot about changelings. They are very... different from ponies.’ She nuzzles her father. ‘I like ponies a lot more.’

James laughs and kisses Del on the forehead. ‘You’re still my lovely angel.’

Rei laughs and gets up to rejoin the party.
...

Spike kneels and holds a plate of treats in his large claw. Rarity sits against the young dragon as she levitates a tart. Twilight giggles as she watches her friends.

‘Glad to see he finally confessed,’ Twilight comments.

Rarity reaches up and scratches Spike’s chin. ‘I just wish he said so sooner. He is the sweetest dear and the greatest lover I have ever had.’

Spike blushes. ‘Don’t say that in front of Twilight...’

Twilight laughs. ‘Yeah, and you didn’t have to scrub the library before you left it for Apple Bloom.’

Spike blush deepens. ‘Don’t say that in front of Rarity...’

Rarity giggles. ‘Oh, he is ever so modest. I was so sad when he left us to return to Canterlot, but Sweetie’s admission to Octavia’s school offered the perfect opportunity for me to reunite with my lovely Spiky-wicky.’ She nuzzles Spike’s snout.

‘Octavia’s school? You know they...’

‘I’m their lead, uh, “costume” designer. Not to mention, I get access to all the best performances in Canterlot.’ She nuzzles Spike again. ‘Thankfully, the concert halls were willing to install larger seats. I would have hated to go alone.’

‘But you go with Sweetie and Fancy Pants and Fleur all the time,’ Spike points out.

‘Those are for business,’ Rarity counters. ‘With you, it is always for pleasure.’

‘Oh, Rarity,’ Spike sighs.

The dragon leans down and kisses his fillyfriend. Twilight smiles at her friends.
...

Celestia stares at Trixie. The unicorn is using her magic to help relate the harrowing tale of the re-emergence of King Sombra and the pains she went through to defeat him once more. Cadence stands beside her aunt with a large smile on her face. Stormy watches and tries not to laugh at the princesses’ reactions.

‘... And thus, with the power of the Crystal Heart restored, I, The Great and Powerful Trixie, was able to destroy King Sombra and save the Crystal Empire!’

Celestia groans, ‘That was a load of bu-’

‘That was amazing!’ Cadence cheers. ‘You were very clever to defeat Sombra in such a spectacular fashion!’

‘Actually, it is Razzly who is clever and spectacular,’ Trixie replies. ‘Though, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.’

Stormy covers a laugh.

‘I take it you want some sort of reward,’ Celestia moans.

‘Well, Trixie did do something Twilight Sparkle struggled with. A little compensation would be nice.’

‘UGH!’ the elder princess grunts.

‘Oh, auntie, be nice,’ Cadence sighs. ‘It really did take a major effort from Shining, the Elements and me the first time. The fact that Trixie and her family were able to defeat him again is truly worthy of some praise.’

Trixie looks at a hoof nonchalantly. ‘Trixie hears duchies are nice this time of year.’

‘How about a damehood?’ Celestia counters.

‘Celestia~’ Cadence begs.

Stormy laughs openly.

‘I’m not just going to hand out royal titles!’ the older princess argues. ‘Look what happened to Blueblood.’

‘Marquess?’ Trixie suggests.

‘Baroness,’ Celestia offers.

Cadence sighs and stands over Trixie. She bows, tapping her horn on the unicorn’s shoulders. ‘I, Princess Cadence of the Crystal Empire, hereby deem you Countess Trixie Lulamoon of the Crystal Empire for the act of banishing King Sombra and saving the Empire from utter destruction.’

‘Cadence!’ Celestia gapes.

Trixie smiles and bows. ‘I guess it will do.’ She checks her back. ‘What? No wings?’

‘Don’t push it,’ Cadence warns.

Stormy laughs at his wife.

Trixie laughs too. She stands and hugs both princesses. ‘Thank you for everything.’ She bows and goes to rejoin the party. ‘Now, if only I can find a way to save Full Moon. It would be great having Chrysalis owe me one.’

The princesses stare in shock. ‘How does she know?’

Stormy laughs and follows his wife. ‘Well, she is great and powerful.’
...

The foals sit at a table of their own. Pound Cake stuffs his face. Pumpkin Cake scolds her brother. Razzly makes notes on the dishes served and ingredients used for future baking. Freya has retrieved Angel from where she hid him when she entered the castle. The young bat pony tries to hide behind her stuffed toy while the others talk. Satsuma nervously snacks while he watches the room. He is scared to meet his father for the first time and confused about a brother he never knew he had.

‘Slow down! You’re going to make yourself sick!’ Pumpkin scolds.

‘Come on, sis,’ Pound moans. ‘We’re at a feast at the palace. We have to live it up a bit. If not for us, for our parents.’

The filly groans. ‘Can you believe him? Satsuma, talk some sense into him.’

The young colt jumps at the mention of his name. ‘Bwah!’ He looks at his friends. ‘What was that?’

Pound swallows a cake. ‘Geez. What are you so nervous about?’

Razzly sighs. ‘This is the first time he is meeting his father and brother. I know I would freak out if that happened.’

‘I am not freaking out,’ Satsuma groans. ‘I am just a little on edge.’

‘SATSUMA!’ Rei shouts from across the room.

The young colt screams in surprise. He turns around to see his big sister pointing his father in his direction. James slowly trots over to the table. Pumpkin quickly leaves, dragging her brother with her. Freya scampers off but looks back, curious. James smiles at the filly. She jumps and hurries to find her mother. Razzly calmly keeps eating. Pumpkin returns and takes the other filly by the foreleg.

‘Come on,’ Pumpkin hisses.

‘What? I am perfectly fine right.. OW!’

Pumpkin moves her grip to Razzly’s horn and drags her away. With the table empty, James takes a seat by his son. Both stare at each other, not knowing what to say. They simultaneously adjust their glasses and laugh.

‘Uh, hi,’ James greets.

‘Yeah...’ Satsuma replies.

‘So, uh, Satsuma, right?’

‘Yeah...’

James rubs the back of his head. ‘You would think marrying the friendliest pony ever would teach me some social ski-’

The stallion is interrupted when Satsuma hugs him. The tearful colt squeezes as tight as he can.

Satsuma sobs, ‘Mom has told me all about you. I never thought I would actually meet you. I am so glad to see you, dad!’

James smiles and hugs his son. ‘It is great finally meet you, too.’
...

Freya gallops to her mother and hides under her. Fluttershy and Sunshine chat with Twilight. The princess notices the hiding filly and leans down.

‘Hello there,’ Twilight greets.

Freya lets out a scared squeak and hides further behind her mother.

Fluttershy sighs and moves aside. Sunshine lifts his daughter to his back.

‘Sorry about Freya,’ Fluttershy apologizes. ‘She gets that from me.’

Twilight giggles. ‘It is quite all right. You should have seen Starlight the first time he left the TARDIS. He just stared at every alien we encountered in total shock. We had to explain to him that to them we are the weird-looking aliens.’ She sighs. ‘Since then, he has done all he could to make friends with them.’

‘Sounds like you raised him well,’ Sunshine comments. He leans back and nuzzles Freya. ‘Freya might be a little shy, but she is the sweetest little filly. She’s very smart too.’

‘Definitely her mother’s child.’

‘Her brother, on the other hoof...’ Fluttershy moans.

‘Oh, Kain’s not that bad, dear,’ Sunshine sighs. ‘He is just more like me.’

Freya lets out a quiet groan and rolls her eyes.

Twilight giggles. ‘I bet you have to protect him all the time.’

Fluttershy and Sunshine snap their attention to their friend. Freya giggles, using Angel to hide her reaction.

‘Nopony outside of the family understands her,’ Sunshine gapes.

Twilight laughs. ‘As Fluttershy can tell you, a little kindness can help you understand anypony.’
...

Starlight laughs and jokes with his new friends. After Apple Bloom introduced him to her friends, he immediately befriends them and shares tales of his adventures with his parents and his personal travels. In the middle of a story, he is tapped on the back.

‘Yes?’ the stallion asks, turning.

‘You’ve been coming to my shop for years, haven’t you?’ Rei accuses.

Starlight grins. ‘Finally caught me.’

‘Why didn’t you tell me you were my brother?’

The young stallion’s grin grows. ‘Because it was worth it for your reaction when you found out.’

Rei laughs and hugs her brother. ‘You are so much like our daddy.’

‘Thank you.’

‘Speakin’ of yer pa,’ Apple Bloom interrupts. ‘Are ya goin’ back t’ travelin’ with him now that yer done here?’

Starlight thinks. ‘I hadn’t thought about that. But...’ -- he looks into Apple Bloom’s eyes and smiles -- ‘I think I can stay a while.’

Apple Bloom smiles and kisses her coltfriend.

‘So, you’re staying, huh?’ a voice says behind Starlight.

He jumps and turns to face his parents.

‘It is wonderful that you want to stay,’ James says. ‘Who will you stay with? One of your siblings?’

‘Maybe he should get a job,’ Twilight suggests. ‘I hear working in a library is a good job. I’m sure Apple Bloom would love an assistant.’

Apple Bloom blushes. ‘Ah would? Ah mean, Ah would!’ She smiles at Starlight. ‘Ah wouldn’ mind havin’ ya ‘round the library.’

Starlight blushes too. ‘Th-thank you.’

James and Twilight laugh at their son’s reaction and return to the party. Pinkie waves to them and slips out of the hall. The couple giggles and follows their friend.

Late into the night, the party is still going full steam, but two members are leaving early. Twilight unlocks the TARDIS while James watches for guards. The doors open. The ponies turn to enter, but they are trapped in a green aura. They get levitated back into a hug.

‘Please don’t go,’ Del whines. ‘I miss my mommy and daddy.’

The ponies squirm and face the lonely changeling.

‘Don’t worry, Del,’ James assures. ‘We’re still around.’

‘And even if we’re not here, you still have the rest of your family,’ Twilight adds. ‘Even more now with Starlight staying.’

Del moans and sets the ponies down. ‘But I don’t want to be alone again...’

James stands on his hind legs and hugs his daughter. ‘You can always return to Ponyville. I am sure all your friends will love having you back.’

‘Can I come with you?’

Twilight shakes her head. ‘Your place is here in Equestria.’

Del squeezes her father tight and starts crying. James grunts from the hug and looks at his wife. Twilight takes a deep breath and gives a slight nod. James smiles, stretches up to Del’s ear and whispers something. The changeling gasps, smiles and hugs even tighter, getting her father to groan in pain.

Del lets go and steps back. She wipes her tears. ‘I’ll miss you.’

James motions Del down so he can kiss her forehead. ‘We’ll miss you, too.’

‘We’ll miss you more than you know,’ Twilight adds. ‘We love you, Del.’

‘I love you, too.’

The ponies enter the TARDIS. Within a few moments, the ship disappears. Del wipes more tears. She trots back towards the party. The castle shines brightly. Del smiles, turns away from the castle and flies away.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading.

The story continues in Starlight Chronicles

Comments ( 11 )

master tries...

the master doesn't try to conquer. he just does. with a plot easily on par with the doctor.

and the doctor has to conquer the world right back. using the master's weaknesses.

its the dynamic they have. they know each other's weaknesses and use them.

how does this story only have 5 comments?

wth?

EDIT: and only two likes! half of those are mine!

2458810

To be fair, I think most TWP readers are waiting ten more chapters of TWP before they see what happens next (not that most of the 'spoilers' of this story haven't been revealed in TWP yet :derpytongue2:).

:rainbowwild: That. Was. So. Totally. AWESOME!!!!!

you might want to change the "coming soon" of the starlight chronicles to an actual link. you know, because the story is actually out.

3173640

:facehoof: Once again, keeping me honest. After witty banter, catching my mistakes is the #1 thing I love about all my readers.

The Golden Rule prevents me from saying exactly what i thought of this. This ending made me rather unhappy, since it completely invalidated my investment in the storyline.

Hoping that Starlight Chronicles can help redeem this a bit.

4107969

#1 thing to expect from me: Don't expect convention, especially with a title like this. If I see a way to screw with the reader, be it clip show, fake out chapter, sandwiches or a deus ex ending, I am going to take it. Getting a rage or WTF over one of my tricks makes me :pinkiehappy:

4108178
Figured. Didnt want to deprive you of the entertainment of getting another trick out.

Gonna read a few more Maud rock poems, then get back to SC.

ONWARDS TO STARLIGHT CHRONICLES!

6171315 Probably the most positive thing said about this ending :derpytongue2:

Login or register to comment