• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 13,152 Views, 691 Comments

Egghead and Featherbrain - TheLastBrunnenG



Research and Rainbooms, Cozy Trees and Cloudhomes, Studiousness and Speed

  • ...
44
 691
 13,152

Lift, Weight, Thrust, and Drag

Pleading was a practiced and perfected tactic in Rainbow Dash’s arsenal, and she knew when it was time to pull out the big guns. On her knees outside the Golden Oaks Library, she threw caution and dignity to the wind and groveled as if her life depended on it. “Pinkie, please please, please, you gotta save me! Prank me with ten pounds of sneezing powder, or lock me in a closet, or…”

The poofy party planner blew a raspberry in Dash’s general direction. “Silly Dashie-kins! You can’t go back in the closet when you’re already out. Besides, don’t you have a big date tonight?”

“Yeah, that’s the problem!” The cyan mare glanced over both shoulders, tapping her hooves nervously. “Twi and I have our three month anniversary today, and she’s expecting me to be all romantic and mushy and… and… bleah!”

Pinkie patted Dash on her tousle-maned head. “Sorry, no can do, Dasharoo. It’s pink hearts and roses for you! Oooh, I know! Want me to teach you a love song? You can serenade Twily until she’s a puddle of mushy purple happiness! Listen close, the lyrics are kinda complex.” Balancing on the Library’s mailbox, she began to croon. “It’s a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake! If the way is hazy, you gotta do the cooking by the book… Wait, no, that’s the song that works on me, not the one for Twilight. Hmmm…”

While Dash hopped frantically from hoof to hoof, the pink earth mare’s performance attracted the attention of two familiar passing ponies. “Shy, Rarity, thank Celestia! You two can help me think of a way out. If not, I’m doomed! Twi expects me to have some gushy snuggle-bunny anniversary dinner in there, and I can’t! My reputation for awesomeness barely survived that trip to the spa – if word gets out that I let myself get roped into this lovey-dovey muck, I’m ruined!”

“Rainbow Dash, I’m ashamed of you!” Hooves on her hips, Fluttershy put on an epically motherly scolding face. “Some of my best friends are snuggle bunnies and lovey dovies, and they’re perfectly nice little critters! Next time you come to my cottage, I want you to apologize to all the bunnies and doves for associating them with the kind of face you’re making.”

“Really, Dash, darling, it’s not so bad.” Rarity cantered over to lay a comforting hoof around the multi-hued mare’s shoulder. “It’s only one night of sweet romance with heartfelt confessions of love and devotion. Tomorrow you can return to your usual boorish, inarticulate, emotionally deaf-mute self. Tonight, though, is a night for amour!”

Dash leapt up and hugged the alabaster mare tightly. “You’re totally right, Rares! That’s it - armor! If I can find my old Commander Hurricane getup, I can rock it all night! Twilight hates that thing, she’ll kick me out for sure, at least until she’s over this whole hearts-aflutter thing.”

The sigh was inevitable. “Not armor, dearest, amour – love! It’s Prench for… ah, even better! I can teach you some Prench love poems, certain to melt the heart of your loving Twilight. How did the one about mi amour go? Yes, it – Dash, are you listening?”

If listening meant doing her best corpse imitation, complete with lolling tongue and twitching legs pointed to the night sky, then Rainbow nailed it. Behind her a door creaked open, spilling soft light onto the four gathered ponies. From inside the sinister abode came a voice that chilled the azure pegasus’ soul. “Dashie, sweetheart, are you ready for some cuddle-wuddle time? I have a warm fire and some fuzzy blankets all ready for us!”

A lilac glow surrounded the prostrate Dash, whose eyes grew large as her hooves scraped and scratched at the earth, failing find purchase. The glow drew her into the library, overcoming her desperately flapping wings and plaintive pleas. “No! I don’t want to snuggle! I don’t want to cuddle! I’m too awesome! Too… awesome… to… cuddle!” Her cries died as the door slammed shut and the library’s lights grew dim.

~~~~~

“Are they gone, RD? Think they bought it?”

“Yep, they’re gone. I totally sold it! Shoulda been an actor.”

Taking a cyan hoof in her own, Twilight headed up the stairs to her cozily unkempt bedroom. “Are you still okay with this, Dash? You don’t have to do this for me, you know.”

“I’d do anything for you, Sparky!” Dash’s smile was visible even in the flickering candlelight. “Even this. As long as our little agreement holds, right? And I get to pick what we do for our next anniversary. So tonight I’ll do what we talked about for you, but if you breathe a word of this to anypony, the girls included - even in a friendship report - then I’m outta here.”

They reached the bedroom landing, where the purple mare turned to face her blue counterpart. “So I can’t tell them you never dropped out of flight school like you claimed?”

“No.”

“And I can’t tell anypony that not only were you not a dropout, you actually graduated with honors?”

“Definitely not.”

“And that you were so far ahead of your classmates that they asked you to be a teaching assistant in your senior year?”

“Absolutely no way.”

“And that you published articles in Cloudsdale Aeronautics Monthly under the pseudonym ‘Prismatic Charge’?”

“So. Totally. Uncool.”

“Well, then… Let’s get started. It is our anniversary, after all.” Twilight’s tail brushed Dash’s as she sauntered to her bed, where she lay on her stomach, head propped in her hooves. Her voice was the sultry whisper all librarians know but few use openly. “Dash… teach me.”

“The things I do for love,” muttered the pegasus. She turned to an easel in the corner of the room and taking a marker in her hoof, began to draw diagrams. Clearing her throat, she motioned to the crude sketch of a wing. “Okay, the four basics of wingborne flight are lift, weight, thrust, and drag. Lift counteracts the force of gravity and is a factor of airflow across the wing surface, which acts as an airfoil. Weight represents gravity and opposes lift. See the arrows I drew here?” She glanced over her shoulder and saw Twilight’s eyes closed, her head on the bed, and her front hooves nowhere to be seen.

“Thrust is created by altering the angle of attack of the lifting surface, essentially converting pure upward lift into forward motive power. Drag is the action of air friction against the body surface and counteracts thrust.” A low moan behind her caused Dash to inhale sharply, her wings silently sliding outward.

“Right. Wings can be described in terms of aspect ratio, which is the ratio of wing length to chord, or front-to-back width across a flat plane. Long, thin wings like a seagull’s have a high aspect ratio, which means they can cruise and soar without a lot of effort. They’re also found in hovering birds.”

Her pupil cooed, “Mmmm, Professor Dash, don’t stop, please…” Catching the reflection in a clock face, Dash saw Twilight roll over on the bed, shaking and trembling.

“Um.. Yeah. Low aspect ratio wings are your typical raptor wings – shorter, rounded wings meant for high speed and maneuverability. Pegasi wings are a medium aspect ratio, meaning our varying wingpower is more of a factor of innate pony magic than of pure aerodynamics.”

She turned to face her erstwhile student, promptly dropping her marker and her jaw. “Can I call off the lecture now, Twi? ‘Cause I think your class bell’s about to ring.”

Eyelids fluttering, panting heavily, Twilight managed to rasp, “Get over here, Professor… just… just don’t stop teaching.”

Dash leapt onto the bed, pinning the quivering mare beneath her. Lunging down to nip ravenously at a silken-furred lavender ear, she growled, “Okay, wing loading is the weight of the flyer divided by the total wing surface area. High wing loading – small wings relative to body weight, exemplified by pegasi – means more efficient high speed flight but requires higher takeoff and landing speed…”