• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 13,142 Views, 691 Comments

Egghead and Featherbrain - TheLastBrunnenG



Research and Rainbooms, Cozy Trees and Cloudhomes, Studiousness and Speed

  • ...
44
 691
 13,142

Becoming Daring

Daring Do and the Blossoms of the Heart, Chapter 2

Endless blooming lilacs stretched out before her, coating hill and valley alike in rolling waves of purple and lavender. Sweetness pervaded the gentle afternoon breeze, the tender scent washing away pain, trouble, and uncertainty. Daring fell to her back in an explosion of blossoms and petals, wings wide, her weatherworn pith hat rolling down the hill unnoticed. This was where she belonged! Here, in lilac arms, buoyed by soft scent and caressing flowers, she had not a care in the world, save one.

Her nostrils filled, her eyes shut tight, and her heart aflutter, Daring’s mind wandered back home. No, not home – or was it? Images sprang to mind: university classrooms, musty academic offices, museums of forgotten exhibits. This was the cloying, stuffy world she adventured to escape from, and yet – there she was. The museum’s Curator of Antiquities, that amazing unicorn, whose every glance left the hardened and scarred explorer trembling and short of breath, called her back to the civilized world without a word. She could never escape that call, nor did she have a desire to.

Once, in her younger days, the lure of thrills and fame drew Daring Do out of the world of academia, away from the drudgery of teaching, grading, publishing. Running away from it all and into the field was her only sure escape from the soul-grinding tedium of spending the rest of her days sorting dusty bones, broken potsherds, and unloved artifacts for display in exhibits few ponies would see and fewer still would notice or care about. That was her life, once, and though it may have been mere months ago, it may as well have been a story told in tomb inscriptions, for it felt like centuries ago.

Now she braved fiendish traps and deadly mazes, sought out eldritch amulets and legendary staves, and endured every harsh clime from the hearts of glaciers to the bowels of mountains, all to do what? To see her! That was enough, and Daring would do it all again. Every ancient tiara she recovered from a ghoulish tomb was another chance to sit with the Curator, to spend hours hoof in hoof with her, muzzle to muzzle with her, poring over every minute detail and every scrap of history of whatever trinket she’d retrieved. The more history an artifact bore and the more mysteries it promised to unlock, the more time it meant she could spend in the heart-stopping presence of that wonderful, brilliant mare.

Every gem-encrusted scarab she recovered from a lost cavern was like a first date, nervous, sweating, brief, and oh so very worth it. Every glowing, cursed torc salvaged from a sunken ship was like an anniversary dinner, familiar, intimate, and long awaited. Recovering that idol from Ahuizotl – that was like a honeymoon that never ended. So many hours side by side with the lilac mare of her dreams and her daydreams, so many late nights and early mornings… Daring wanted that feeling again, now and forever. But love was not an accursed pyramid to be plundered and romance was no ancient temple to be looted.

How was it that could she face demon priests and lava pits but couldn’t tell one smiling, bookish mare what she truly felt? How long could she keep up this pretense? How long could she go on trading relics for romance? It was a lesson she’d learned too well these past months: courage didn’t translate always from hoof to heart. Daring would trade all the adventure, all the fame and thrills of exploring and delving the depths of history just to be able to put her feelings into words.

One last expedition, she promised herself – then I can tell her. One last crown to liberate from some shattered sarcophagus - then I can confess. One more, one more, always one more – would it ever be enough? Will I ever find the courage, she wondered, to make this incredible mare not just a curator, but My Curator? She opened her eyes to a spiral of lilac blossoms and flexed her wings to follow them aloft into the breezy evening sky. Not one more, she thought. No more, no longer. It was time to go home, home – to her Curator.

Daring Do and the Blossoms of the Heart, Chapter 3

The trembling tan pegasus stood before the museum’s oaken door, hat in hoof and heart pounding. She …

~~~~~

“Shy, lemme give ya some friendly advice, pegasus to pegasus.”

“O – Okay, Dash. What is it?”

“Don’t. Do. This. Just – don’t.”

“Oh, I promise I’ll never - wait, don’t do what, exactly?”

“Don’t write me into this. Don’t write Daring like this, Fluttershy, just – okay, let me ask you a question. You know I dig Daring Do, right?”

“Yes…”

“And you know the only way you’ll get me to read anything is if it involves explosions or Daring Do, preferably both. Right?”

“Um, I think so.”

“So that means there’s no feathering way I’d ever be caught reading mushy romantic horseapple bunk like this. Got it?”

“I suppose.”

“Now, Shy, let me guess – you probably noticed me spending lots of time at the Library lately. And you might have figured out that whenever I feel like reading, I could do it perfectly well in my sweet cloud-house but instead I always seem to end up reading with our little librarian friend. How am I doing so far?”

“Well, you’re… surprisingly accurate, actually. I didn’t mean to notice things, I promise! I can be less perceptive, if you like.”

“So Flutters, here’s the kicker. I’m guessing you thought that if you could write a sappy romantic story, I’d read it anyway ‘cause it’s Daring Do, and if it showed Daring Do having the hots for an egghead bookworm unicorn, then maybe I’d be inspired to confess my undying love to Twilight. On the mark?”

“Um, kind of. Well, perfectly, really.”

“Shy, you’re my oldest friend, so I’m gonna tell you three things. If anyone asks, I swear I’ll deny them, and you can bet your wings I’m never gonna repeat any of this again. First – that was actually an awesomely good story. I can see why ponies love your romance novels.”

“Oh, thanks, Dash!”

”Second, if that Daring Do was supposed to be based on yours truly – well, then it was pretty darn close. I totally had the same problem. Guess you noticed that too, huh?”

“A little. Maybe. Sorry!”

“Don’t be. Third, you’re late.”

“Late?”

“Yeah, by about a month. Twi and I have just been really good about hiding it. Eggheads can be surprisingly sneaky, ya know? Great kissers, too.”