• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 13,143 Views, 691 Comments

Egghead and Featherbrain - TheLastBrunnenG



Research and Rainbooms, Cozy Trees and Cloudhomes, Studiousness and Speed

  • ...
44
 691
 13,143

Firelight

Flickering firelight cast deep shadows over the reading room in Golden Oaks Library. Walls of books towered over the little nook, the two ponies below letting their eyelids flutter as they lay entwined on well-worn floor cushions. Scents of wilderness, icing, perfume, and apples still hung in the air but were fading quickly, replaced by aromas of crackling cut pine logs, spilled ink and fresh parchment, and distant storms.

Twilight’s head nestled on a blue-furred pillow, a feathered blanket drawn across her. Eyes closed above a contented smile, she murmured into her pillow’s prismatic mane. “It was really nice having the girls over for dinner. Still, I’m glad it’s just you and me again, Dash. Can’t think of any way I’d rather spend the rest of the night.”

Flames danced in the pegasus’ eyes. She managed a thin grin as the fireplace seemed to hold unusual fascination. “Yeah? More than re-reading History of Everything Everywhere again?”

“Definitely!” The purple pony drew Dash’s wing tighter around her, stroking its leading edge with a gentle hoof. “Speaking of reading, what do you want to do now that we’ve got some time alone? Want to read the rest of the first Alan Quarterhorse book? We only read a few chapters last time.”

Dash’s reply came as a snort. “Nah. I know they’re by the same author as Daring Do, but it’s not the same. Maybe we can hold off on that kinda stuff until the next Daring comes out.”

The unicorn shifted uneasily, her eyes opening slowly as her brow furrowed. “That won’t be for another three months, Rainbow. I thought you enjoyed reading here – or at least, reading with me. I was hoping we could find something else to read together until then.”

“Sorry, Twi. I do like reading with you, it’s just - well, it has to be the right kinda stuff or it just loses me, ya know?” She lay her head on Twilight's and let her eyes close for a few long moments.

Shaking her head as if waking suddenly, the librarian shifted to look up at her companion, enthusiasm brightening her voice. “Hey, what about going flying? Looks like it’s an almost cloudless night, the moon’s full – it’ll be perfect! You can carry me! I can do my cloudwalking spell, and we can spend the whole night just – “

“Twi, you can’t be serious.” The lavender mare recoiled a bit. She shook off Dash’s embracing wing and cocked an eyebrow at her, sitting upright suddenly. “That’d be a great idea, egghead, except that it’s below freezing out there! There’s still snow on the ground, for Celestia’s sake. Don’t get me wrong, it’s totally romantic, it’s just the kind of thing we should save for spring. Okay?”

“Oh, I… Sorry, Dash, I didn't think about it that way.”

The azure mare hung her head, her parti-colored mane falling across one eye. “No, I'm sorry, Twilight. I didn't mean to come across so harsh. Pegasi are built for high altitude and total speed, so the cold doesn’t get to us too much. I was just trying to…” She sighed and dropped her chin to rest on her crossed forelegs. “I dunno.”

Twilight caressed her marefriend’s mane, her hoof finding color by color in slow, tender strokes. “Well, if you want to stay the night, I guess we could find,” and her cheeks burned a little despite the diminishing fire, “something else to do.”

Dash sighed deeply, taking the purple hoof and moving it between her own. “Not tonight, Twi. Yeah, it would be totally awesome, because it always is, and face it, it’s us, right? But it’s like – it’s like we always have to be doing something. Reading, or going out to eat, or flying, or picnicking, or whatever, but it’s always gotta be something. Can’t we just, ya know, be here with each other?”

Smiling widely, the horned mare leaned over to place a single chaste kiss on a blushing blue-furred cheek. “Of course we can. All you had to do was ask, you beautiful, silly mare! Did you want to head upstairs?”

Rainbow threw a powerful wing across Twilight and drew her close. “Nope, right here is fine. I’m a champion napper, so trust me on this one. Beds are cool and everything, but you can’t beat a good fireplace for warmth and an egghead for a blanket.” She smirked and settled onto a cushion, the young unicorn resting warmly against her chest.” You should totally try it sometime.”