• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 13,152 Views, 691 Comments

Egghead and Featherbrain - TheLastBrunnenG



Research and Rainbooms, Cozy Trees and Cloudhomes, Studiousness and Speed

  • ...
44
 691
 13,152

The Wait

The storm had been building for most of the day; weather teams distributed flyers to the entire town earlier that morning warning of the “Storm of the Decade”. The Everfree Forest was a wild, uncontrolled place, feared by ponies both for the myriad wild and ravenous creatures dwelling there and for its unpredictable weather. Storms and clouds uncontrolled by pegasus weather teams, unplanned and unscheduled, were a concept alien to the blissfully naive ponies of Equestria. Everypony assumed the ragtag but generally skilled Ponyville weather team could handle the occasional unusual weather pattern which rolled out of the Everfree. If something truly freakish happened, then surely with help from Cloudsdale’s pegasi they could corral and control any storm which dared rear its thunderhead.

A typical uncontrolled storm could be dispersed within one hour and forty minutes, assuming the high and low outlier times were discarded in the calculation. A storm of highest magnitude had never taken greater than four hours nineteen minutes to bring under control, with an average time-to-dispersal of three hours forty six minutes. Twilight Sparkle knew this with absolute certainty because she’d calculated it herself.

With equal certainty she knew that Rainbow Dash, head of the Ponyville Weather Team, had been fighting this storm for five hours and twenty two minutes.

She lay on the floor of the Golden Oaks Library, her back warmed by the crackling blaze of a well-stoked fireplace and surrounded on all sides by crumbling towers of books. Pegasus Aerodynamics lay to her left, Adverse Flying Conditions and You to her right, A History of Weather Management, Volume Three in her hooves. In the last five hours and forty one minutes she’d learned every fact, every facet, every iota of knowledge ever recorded about weather control, or at least, all of them available in her own little small-town library, however impressively stocked she’d kept it.

Six hours and six minutes earlier Dash had taken off in a spectral blur, her brilliantly sky-blue form lost almost immediately in the growing charcoal-black darkness of the gathering clouds. Six hours and seven minutes earlier she’d promised Twilight that she’d be careful and that she’d come back in one piece, holding Twilight so tightly it hurt and not daring to let go. Six hours and eight minutes earlier she’d dried Twilight’s tears and kissed her on the forehead for what felt like would be the last time.

Six hours and thirty five minutes after the skies went dark and the first lightning strike illuminated Ponyville in a flash of brilliant light and crashing violence, the librarian found herself chest-deep in ancient texts and dusty forgotten tomes, furiously digging through runes and glyphs and incantations the way a desert-trapped pony might dig for water buried under shifting sands. Bend Nature To Thy Will offered no solutions and Elemental Mastery stopped short of its promise. Still she dug, faster, deeper, desperation etched in her furrowed brow and quivering lips.

Water for a pot of tea boiled at the seven hour mark. The sudden whistle was jarring and terrifying, standing out harsh and shrill against the steady drive of rain on windowpanes and the wail of wind through swaying branches. Twilight sat at her kitchen table, a single lantern and the distant fire picking out wisps of steam rising from her cup and from the saucer which held a pool of spilled tea. She held the little mug in trembling hooves, thankful for the opportunity to hold something warm, solid, and real again.

She’d been staring at the dancing flames of the fireplace for half an hour, unmoving. A cold pot of tea lay forgotten on the table behind her, next to a shattered mug and an overflowing saucer. The firelight cast waving shadows on the bookcases lining her walls, each as still and silent as their source. Red-rimmed eyes stared out from under a disheveled purple mane. She had no more tears to cry, no more books to read, no letters to send. She had only the wait, hollow and stabbing, empty and crushing.

Lightning struck nearby, too near, and for a moment the pounding rain seemed louder and echoed through the library. Twilight woke with a start to the feel of something heavy, wet, and panting collapsed against her side. “Rainbow?” she whispered, trembling, “I was sure you’d - I thought - Dash, you were gone so long…”

“Eight hours,” mumbled the soaked and bloody pegasus, her chest heaving as she curled up by Twilight and her fire. “Eight hours and five minutes. I know. I was counting too.”