• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 12,241 Views, 762 Comments

Becoming Rainbow Dash: A Tale of Two Worlds - Freescript the Bard



Markus wakes up in Rainbow Dash's body in his bed on Earth

  • ...
40
 762
 12,241

"Me, Myself, and I" or "Taylor's Tailor"

< Day 8 >

Dash and I lay side-by-side, staring up at the impossibly star-filled sky of the dreamscape. I wasn't sure what part of my mind this was, with orange grass, spiky-shaped clouds, and fruit that had working animal appendages (I mean, an orange with frog legs? How ridiculous is that?).

"Morning should be coming soon," I observed. "You gonna be okay?"

Dash chuckled. "You make it sound like being in your head is a bad thing. It's like Discord's 'Chaos Capital', but more fun. You're mind just doesn't like to stop thinking."

As if on cue, the scene around us transformed into the stargazing hill in Ponyville Park. "Alright, then," I concluded, turning to her. "See you again tonight?"

She smirked. Not an ordinary smirk. My smirk. Raised eyebrow and everything. "Yeah."

~+~+~+~

Slowly, I came back to the world of the waking. It was still dark, but the eastern horizon was flush with pinkish color. Birds overhead and beneath sang their song, some beginning their long trek south.

All this was lost on me as I returned to consciousness, keeping my eyes shut. Something really warm was wrapped around me, enticing me to stay in its comforting embrace. I didn't make anything of it, snuggling closer to the source of the warmth. Dash's snap-to reflexes and my own nonconformity to sitting idly kicked in, and my mind rose to full alertness.

Sometimes, sobriety is a curse.

Or at least, alert enough to recognize that the thing wrapped around me was a pink-tinted wing. What the buck?!

My pegasus mind did not like that whatsoever. Somehow, I could tell Rainbow Dash was blushing furiously, matching my own face. Whatever comfort I had in this immediately turned to the same feeling I got when I preened in front of someone, only about ten times worse.

Airheart stirred, roused by my initial waking movements. There was a moment when everything paused.

"GAAH!!!" We both screamed, leaping away from each other. Airheart's blush, despite the coloration of her coat, was all-too-obvious, as was my own. We were both silent for at least a minute before I spoke up.

"Shall we never speak of this as long as we both draw breath?"

"Agreed. Breakfast now?"

"…yes."

~+~+~+~

"So your friend is a tailor?" I asked Airheart as we passed over the city of Columbus, Ohio. A sugary breakfast of many glazed donuts dispersed the awkward start to the morning, and if the buzz in the back of my head was any indication, this was a good day to be alive. For the entire time I was in the air, I couldn't resist pulling a few stunts and rolls, much to Airheart's amusement.

The pegasus nodded. "Ever since this whole 'people into ponies' thing, she's been capitalizing on it! We talked yesterday before I left, and all she could talk about was the amount of clothing for ponies she's made. To be honest, the girl has too much fun with what she does."

I thought about that for a few minutes. Of course people are trying to make money off this. Why would I expect any different? Sighing inwardly, I continued to follow Airheart.

Capitalism is a product of free market… and people taking advantage of any given situation.

"You think she might have an olive green aviator's jacket in pony size?" I asked, prompting a questioning look from my companion. "I had one back in Wisconsin before all this. It's sorta like my trademark. I feel barren without it." Somewhere in my head, Dash was sifting through memories of it, and ultimately agreed.

Airheart shrugged. "I don't know. Only one way to find out, I guess..."

Without warning, the pink mare dove, spiraling downward. I simply folded my wings, plummeting straight down through the center of the other pegasus' circling. Although Airheart began her descent before me, my more direct path let me flutter to the ground a few seconds before her.

As the pink mare skidded to a landing beside me, I examined the establishment in front of me. 'Taylor's'? Really? A tailor named Taylor? I thought as I read the sign. "How… original…" I grumbled to my friend.

"I, for one, think it's kinda clever," she argued. "Besides, she can't help what her parents named her. That aside, the clothes Taylor makes are really good. She even made my homecoming dress for me when I lived here a year ago."

Finishing her recount, Airheart led me into the building. With a sideways glance, I noticed an advertisement in the window. 'Pony-Sized Clothing Sold Here!' the sign read. Pony-Sized clothing… is Rainbow Dash an adult small or medium pony?

'Pegasi have smaller body frames,' Dash replied, startling me. 'It's more aerodynamic. I'd go small.'

To be honest, I wasn't entirely surprised by the fact we could communicate more directly now. The inevitable merge was slowly becoming more obvious, to the point where some of Dash's own thoughts overlapped mine. I'll keep that in mind…

'Hilarious,' came the deadpan.

Remembering my flesh-and-bones companion was waiting for me, I shook my head and followed the brown ends of her tail into the store. I stopped at what I saw.

"Whoa…" we both breathed. While the store itself wasn't that big, there were multitudes of clothing racks, all filled to the brim with textile creations of all colors and styles. Dresses, shirts, jackets, shorts… and many other articles were among them. About a fifth of what was on display did not appear to be made for human figures.

'Rarity would have a field day in here,' Dash commented.

"Indeed…" I whispered to both myself and the pony in my head. I looked between the rows of clothing. The whole array was completely disorganized, which I personally respected. Organization limits creativity, while anarchy and disorder inspires it. By nature, I hated being organized, so to find a place where chaos was comfortably present was relaxing for me.

Trotting out from the racks, I looked toward the back of the shop. What I saw stopped me dead in my hoof-prints.

A girl with deep blue hair, black tank top and jeans, and pale skin looked back at me, her purple eyes staring at me. But it wasn't the eccentric appearance of the human that shocked me.

She was leaning over a pony, stitching what looked like a pony-form sweatshirt. The mare with the cyan coat looked at me with large magenta eyes, and swished her rainbow-colored, expertly-styled tail. On the earth pony's flank, was a rainbow arcing between two puffs of cloud.

"What." was all I could say in reaction to the third-generation Rainbow Dash.