• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 12,239 Views, 762 Comments

Becoming Rainbow Dash: A Tale of Two Worlds - Freescript the Bard



Markus wakes up in Rainbow Dash's body in his bed on Earth

  • ...
40
 762
 12,239

I Just Flew In from Wisconsin, and Boy, Are My Wings Tired

<> Day 2 <>

I sat perched on a piece of cloudstuff, looking at the scene before me. Half the skyline was covered by high-rise skyscrapers, towering over the ocean and other surrounding residential and undeveloped land. I had never been to New York, although I was planning on going there on my summer break if I graduated high school. Blinking the tiredness from my eyes, I glanced at the spaces between the buildings. There was guaranteed to be hectic air currents and rough turbulence. I smiled. It's perfect.

My flight from the dairy state to the big apple had taken almost a full day, the megalopolis coming into sight twenty-two hours after my takeoff. My snacks ran low after about six hours, and, half-starving, I had decided to stop in Toronto, Canada for a seven-o-clock breakfast, and maybe rest my wings for an hour at a small diner on the outskirts.

While eating a nice vegetarian omelet (which was heavenly!), a few of the restaurant patrons who had caught news of the broadcast, and saw that I was a blue rainbow pegasus, came over to wish me luck on my journey. Everyone there was friendly, and a pair of Bronies actually wanted to take a picture with me, to which I complied. Give it two hours, tops, for it to be all over the Internet. To top it all off, the owner of the diner turned away my bill, saying it was on the house. Being a pony had it's advantages, but I still felt terrible for taking advantage of their generosity.

Luckily, the diner had wireless Internet, and I opened my browser to see what other developments had sprung up. To my dismay, there wasn't any new developments, but then again, the next victim of 'pony-itis' could still be waking up. For all I knew, they could be in Australia!

My thirst for knowledge sated, I had a fleeting idea. I asked the two squealing Bronies if I could have a digital copy of the photo, which they sent me gladly through e-mail. Chuckling at my own antics, I posted it on my Facebook page, putting in the caption, 'Having breakfast and chilling with the Toronto Bronies on my way to New York! Canada has the Rainbow Dash stamp of approval!'.

That was about nine hours ago. I breathed in the cool late-autumn air, opening my wings to catch the breeze in my feathers. After the event with the Element of Loyalty, while I was flying over Lake Michigan, I realized that I was making minute adjustments with my wings for stability and knew exactly when to initiate a power flap by instinct. But the issue was that I had to learn how to do everything else, like walking and gliding, by myself. When I was in the air, my body seemed to know how everything worked perfectly. The closest theory I had that could be acknowledged was that the Element had given me the natural instincts of a pegasus.

Which meant I had the irresistible urge to fly. All the time.

I smiled at this. Well, I have been sitting here wasting time, might as well submit I threw myself off the cloud, performing a forward backflip and plummeting twenty yards before flaring my wings, locking into a glide. Having checked the updates on the feed website, I circled the island city for half an hour before spotting my destination. The pier looked like it was run down before the sixties. Of all the places to rally ponyfied Bronies, why an abandoned shoe maker's factory?

Don't get me wrong, I saw the logic behind it. There would be plenty of space and all that, but what about rats and other pests? And wouldn't this place be subject to gang activity? I shrugged midair beside myself. Lauren Faust probably had a good reason for setting up a sanctuary there, and I wasn't one to argue.

Angling my wings to increase the rate of my descent, I began to circle the factory to survey the area. Four good-sized moving vans were parked outside, with a team of eight human movers hauling various pieces of furniture and other articles inside. I nearly lost my in-flight balance as on my third lap around, a familiar white figure exited, her mane a flowing rainbow.

This startled me. Wow, I can see each color in her mane from way up here! Indeed, everything was as clear as it would be if I was only a few feet away. Now, this coming from someone with twenty-seventy vision normally, you think I would have noticed this earlier. Stupid ADHD… in any case, I still have better sight than every human on the planet.

I frowned at my own thought. It bothered me that I had begun to think of myself as a separate entity from the human race, as if I wasn't one of them. One look at my hoof reminded me that it was partially correct. For a general look at the entirety of what I once was, I glanced at the walls of concrete and glass.

Our actions and values make us who we are, not what we look like or view ourselves as.

What's so good about being human that I want to be one again? The human race was one of ingenuity and innovation. They are industrious and creative. Apex predator, dominant race, master engineers. What they couldn't do by themselves, they turned to technology for the answer. All because of two things, the fact that they harnessed fire before anything else, and their anatomy. Most significantly, their fingers and thumbs.

Yet, for everything they were, humans are driven by their nature for dominance. When they discover how to generate massive amounts of electricity by breaking down atoms, what do they do? They use it to create the most powerful weapon known to man. Granted, the creator of said weapon received a Nobel prize, but only for movements against the thing he made. Throughout history, it was simple fact that many human advancements were made in wartime. But why? Why did there have to be death and destruction to keep moving their race forward.

Why would I want to return to being one of them?

A sharp whistle drew my attention earthward, out of my philosophical journey. One of the human movers had noticed my circling and was waving me down. Even from a few hundred feet in the air, I could see his excited expression. Smiling, I decided to show off a little.

Instead of gliding to a landing, I began an unpowered climb, causing me to pause and stall. The air rushed past me as I tumbled uncontrollably, a smug grin on my face. Putting trust in my newfound instincts, I metered my descent and, at the last possible moment, flared my wings and caught the air beneath them. Still going at an extremely high velocity, I pulled up into a loop, increasing my pitch until I was directly above a sofa being carried by two movers, then flopped onto the cushions, landing in a reclined position.

"That's how we get it done in Wisconsin, mo' buckers," I stated, a smirk crossing my face. Everyone's jaws were now swinging on their hinges. "So, we gonna get this couch moving or am I gonna have to walk inside?"

"Now aren't we humble?" chided a regal voice, causing me to startle and fall off the sofa. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

Holy schist! It's Princess Cel– no, wait –Lauren Faust! "L-Lauren Faust! Oh my gosh, it's really you!" I pressed my hooves to my cheeks and gave a fanboy squeal. "So awesome!" Immediately, I scrambled upright, going into a bow. "I am not worthy of your presence, great Fausticorn."

Pseudo-Celestia facehoofed. "Please don't do that, it makes me feel like royal… oh, right…" she said. Complying, I picked myself up from the floor, giving a nervous apology. Lauren, however continued to stare at the object hanging from my neck. "You… have the Element?"

Nodding, I glanced down at the ruby. Even in the daylight, it glowed slightly. "It just kinda appeared," I told her. "Good thing it did. If not, I'd be stuck flightless at home still."

She raised an eyebrow at this. "Why?"

"Well, I still have no idea how the hell magic works, but the way I figured was that it gave me the instincts of a pegasus to fulfill my role as Loyalty and come here." I sighed inwardly. "I can't tell you how tired my wings are. The only stop I've gotten was in Toronto, and that was hours ago."

"Wait, so that photo wasn't faked?" asked Lauren. "It seems I owe my 'dear sister' fifteen dollars…"

I blinked at her answer. "You saw the picture? It hasn't been that long since then." It was then that the weight of my nonstop flying hit me, and my wings began to ache fiercely. "Ah…" I hissed in pain. "You wouldn't happen to have any place I can crash, would you?"

The white alicorn raised an eyebrow. "You don't want to meet Isaac? He showed up earlier with a stunning resemblance to Twilight Sparkle. Or his friend, Saw Blade?"

Turning toward her I slumped. "Not right now. I don't think I can take much more pony today. I had enough yesterday to last my whole life, and now I faced it again. With all due respect, Mrs. Faust, I just want to nap."

Just for a second, I swear she just glanced at me with fear.

~+~+~+~

Lauren looked on as the Brony-turned-Rainbow-Dash entered the room set up for his use and flopped onto the bed. She sighed, imagining her magic closing the door. Her mind flashed back to what Discord had told them. If what Markus said was true, that he became a pony yesterday… that would mean… She glanced back at the now closed door. Then he is the chronicler…

A/N: The last few pieces of this chapter kinda made me cringe whilst writing. In any case, if you all have read the Twilight standpoint, I wonder how I'm going to react to a week being a year, among other things I have planned for our poor protagonist.