• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 12,239 Views, 762 Comments

Becoming Rainbow Dash: A Tale of Two Worlds - Freescript the Bard



Markus wakes up in Rainbow Dash's body in his bed on Earth

  • ...
40
 762
 12,239

I Suppose I Was Always a Role Model...

<> Day 8, Anna <>

I remember having this dream.

My footsteps made no sound on the cobblestone road. It was like walking on clouds; no sound or feeling of terra firma beneath my feet. All around me, there were disorganized rows of small houses. The whole village’s color scheme was a little too bright for me, with thatched hay roofs and pink wooden trimming. Then all the heart-shaped architecture. It all seemed like something out of a little girl’s imagination.

Well... some other little girl’s imagination, I grimaced to myself. I certainly wouldn’t have thought up this tacky place. Ew.

When I thought about it more, I realized that there was something familiar about this place. For some reason, I suspected it had to do with my oldest brother. What did Markus have to do with this place?

“Hello?”

I paused. With a quick look around, I observed that the town was still as empty as it had been since I had arrived here. “Is someone there?” I called out. The only answer I received. “Anyone? Hello? My name is Anna.”

Silence.

“Markus?” I called again. “Markus, is that you? Where are we?”

“Who...?”

Great. Even the disembodied voice in my head doesn’t know anything. “Who are you?” I asked to the air. “Could you... show yourself or something?”

“I... I don’t...” the voice answered, sounding confused and a little frightened. I could make out enough of it that I could identify the voice of a young girl, maybe a little younger than I. “Where am I? Who are you? What’s going on?”

Suddenly I was whisked off my feet and sent hurtling through the air. Higher and higher I went, past towers of cumulus and wisps of cirrus. Up and up, past more and more clouds. At first, I thought I was going to go right into space, but instead, I seemed to be travelling through an endless sky, forever ascending. Below me, the town was lost in the fog of hundreds of clouds.

“What’s happening!?” the voice screamed, sounding panicked and afraid. Somewhere, I could hear a heartbeat, beating fast and frantically. “Why can’t I see!? Why is everything dark!?” A piercing scream slammed into my ears. “Help me!”

~+~+~+~

I remember waking up.

Yesterday, I felt a little out of place in our house, what with Mom and Dad worrying about Markus constantly and spending all day on their computers, scouring the internet trying to find out where he was or if he’s okay. I didn’t really see what the big deal was. I mean, sure, he turned into a magical flying girl pony that makes rainbows when she flies, but from what I heard and researched online, Markus had some kind of power attached to him that can gank gods (and apparently leave burn marks on our yard in the shape of a lightning bolt). He’s probably the safest he has ever been.

Anyway, with my parents on the fritz, I asked a friend of mine, Kenzie, if I could sleep over at her place, if only to get away from the anxiety hanging over my head. That night, I felt more relaxed and carefree than I had all week. Kenzie and I played on her brother’s Xbox until the small hours of the morning and fell asleep playing Halo Reach, controllers still in our hands. Who knew round after round of fighting an alien menace could be so tiring?

As the last echoes of the dream faded in my ears, consciousness slipped back to me. What hit me first was how sleepy I still was. Ugh... I grumbled inwardly. Maybe we should have listened to Mrs. Dalton when she told us to turn the games off at eleven...

Within the sleeping bag, I shifted groggily. The lining was warm and comfy, and I was tempted to stay in it for another hour or so. But there was something about it that made me change my mind. It felt too close, too tight. Like something was constricting me. Weird, I thought to myself. I don’t get claustrophobic. But why... ugh... I shook my head, trying to clear it, but as the tight space of the sleeping bag grew ever closer, there was no way I could think at maximum capacity. I need to get out...

I started crawling forward toward the opening. Immediately, I noticed something was off: there was no way I had wriggled this deep into the bag. Sure, I did a little, but the top was much farther than it should have been, like it had grown considerably bigger than me. Or I had shrunk. Whichever.

When I finally broke free of the enclosed area, I took a dramatic breath and laughed at myself, a little out of groggy deliria. “Whew...” I breathed, rolling over to look at the ceiling of the room, which was illuminated by the first rays of sunrise. “That was just crazy...”

What the..? I scrunched up my nose and peered ahead as my ears picked up the sound of my voice. I didn’t sound like myself for some odd reason. The words that came out of my mouth sounded the same pitch, but it was more scratchy and tomboyish. It was eerily familiar... as if I had just heard it a minute ago.

Just then it hit me. The voice from the dream sounded exactly like this! I got up quickly, but just as fast found myself tumbling head-over-heels into the wall. “Ow...” I grumbled, sitting up and rubbing the spot on my shoulder where the impact happened.

That’s when I saw my body. Now, I know I’m only twelve, but I was never that small. Nor did I have a full coat of orange hair, a tail, or hooves.

Needless to say, I screamed. Then the next several hours disappeared from recollection.

~+~+~+~

I remember waking up again.

With a groan, I sat up and rubbed my head. I nearly jumped when I discovered that my hands were still replaced by hooves. Even more startling was the wetness on the hoof that came from my head. Bleeding... Shaking the last of the unconsciousness from my head, I tried to recall what had happened. All I could remember was screaming, and then... then...

Nothing.

Concussions are horribly nerve-racking.

Glancing around, I was shocked to find myself in some kind of pet carrier. What the heck!? I scrambled over to the bars, trying to peer out and get my bearings. Much to my further dismay, the cage had been placed with the opening facing the wall, with only a small amount of light filtering in. Where... how did I...?

I looked down at the things on the end of my arms (forelegs?), and stared. For an indeterminable amount of time, I peered at the empty space that once held my hands. the orange stubs remained, mocking me with their existence. I’m a pony... As the thought hit me, I reeled back and fell against the walls of the cage. No... not me too...

“This can’t be happening...” I told myself. But, however much I wanted to deny it, there was really no question in my mind that what I was experiencing was reality.

I was a pony.

~+~+~+~

Like brother, like sister...

Author's Note:

Before anyone rants at me that a twelve-year-old couldn't possibly have this big a vocabulary, you should know one thing: my sister is the brain-child of the family. She makes my brother and I look like idiots. Constantly.

On another note, I did get her to read this chapter. All she had to say was, "Weirdo."