• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 12,241 Views, 762 Comments

Becoming Rainbow Dash: A Tale of Two Worlds - Freescript the Bard



Markus wakes up in Rainbow Dash's body in his bed on Earth

  • ...
40
 762
 12,241

What Did I Ever Do to You, Chance?

~+~+~+~

<> Day 9 <>

I decided that I hate waking up. Waking up has statistically never done me any good, especially in these last few weeks. Let us count shall we? One, becoming a cartoon pony; two, becoming a girl cartoon pony; three, several bumps on my head; four, pillow in the mouth; and five, being blasted with the Royal Canterlot voice. At this point, I should probably give up even trying to climb out of consciousness.

When I first opened my eyes, I became slightly disoriented at the lack of change in lighting. It was pitch black wherever I was. Shifting around and moving my appendages, I once again found myself in the body of a certain cerulean pegasus. As if I expected anything else, I grumbled inwardly. My migraine started up again, but it was more dulled.

Dash...? I tried, seeing if my experience with John de Lancie had somehow drawn her out of wherever she was in my head. But there was no answer: only silence. It was worth a try, anyway. Now, where the hell am I?

If darkness could blind, then I would have needed to use braille for the next year. Feeling around, the floor appeared to be made of some kind of composite plastic. I rose to my hooves, only to hit my head against a ceiling of the same material. Wincing in pain, I sat back and cradled my head as the impact made my headache even worse. My wings brushed against some kind of metal. Curious, I felt my way over to it and explored it with my hooves. It was some kind of metal grating, almost like a cage of some sort...

I nearly screamed. I’m in a motherbucking dog carriage!

Trapped in the dark. Closeness like death.

It became hard to breathe. I panicked, frantically searching for a way to get out of this cramped space. But all I found were walls and the grating. In a desperate move, I fiddled with the lock, but I couldn’t get at it through the metal bars. Even if I did, there was no way I could work it with hooves. “Schist... c’mon... c’mon...” I pleaded desperately as the lock rattled on the latch. “Buck.” Slumping against the wall, I groaned and planted my face in my hooves. How the hell did I get into this mess?

“...hello...?”

My ears perked up, swivelling toward the cage door. A small voice, not too far away by the sound of it, whispered in the darkness outside the cage. “Hello?” I answered, also keeping my voice low. “Is someone there?”

“Pipe down,” a low male voice grumbled. It definitely wasn’t the voice I had heard earlier. “Can’t a guy suffer captivity in peace?”

“Lay off and have a heart, Daz,” a soft female voice berated from somewhere else in the dark, still not the voice I first heard. “It’s not their fault that they’re stuck here like the rest of us. Heck, the new gal’s probably as scared stiff as the little one is.”

Suddenly, a bone-chilling chuckle rang through the space outside, sending a shiver down my spine. It was quiet, as if whoever was doing it made a joke to himself and was laughing about it. “Darkness and slience... cloaked in it he is,” the falsetto voice giggled. “The loudest quiet you ever heard.”

“Oh great,” groaned Daz. “Your noise woke up the loon. Now I’ll never sleep.”

“Dazzle! For shame!” the soft voice yelled. “Zach is our friend.”

Was our friend,” Dazzle asserted. “Now listen to him! He’s gone absolutely mad!”

“She’s in our midst, she is!” Zach exclaimed. “Undying, her spirit is! She won’t abandon us here! She has come to liberate us from the dark!”

“HEY!” I shouted into the black, banging on the cage for emphasis. Everything went silent outside. “Can someone tell me where the hell I am and who the hell put me in a motherbucking cage!?”

A few moments of further silence passed. “I don’t think the poor gal knows,” the unidentified soft voice whispered.

“No shit, Deedee,” Daz grumbled. “I told you: I saw them drag somepony in here, and she wasn’t putting up much of a fight. Probably went and got herself jumped, the fool.”

As you probably understand, my patience was growing incredibly thin. “Then cut the bucking suspense already, jeeze!” I shouted at them. From the way they spoke, I gathered that everyone present was a pony of some kind, and that they had also been taken here against their will. I still hadn’t worked out who the owner of the first voice was, as they didn’t say anything else. “Where the hell am I!?”

“So much passion...” Zach giggled quietly. “...passion to burn away the shadows...”

Daz’s sigh was heard throughout the space.

“We don’t know where we are, miss,” Deedee replied. “Whoever took us, they took us by surprise. They threw bags over our heads and knocked us out. Next thing we know, we’re in dog cages in a dark room and, well, you know the rest. We’ve been here for nearly two days. I think. It’s hard to keep track of time here.”

“Feels more like three or four...” mumbled Dazzle.

So I’ve been kidnapped. It hit me like a heavy iron weight. Backing away from the cage door, I slumped against the back wall, my wings drooping. Part of me didn’t believe it: one moment, I’m flying as fast as I can, blind with pain; the next, I’m talking with John de Lancie about a deal with Discord himself; then right after that, I’m stuck in a cage. I must have fainted from the pain... they must have got me when I crashed...

With a long sigh, I rubbed my face into my hooves. What did I do to deserve any of this? I peered accusingly at where my hooves would be if it wasn’t too dark to see them. If this is some bullschist about me being fated to this, I will have many words for the guy in charge. This is just too unfair to be rotten luck.

Sometimes, Chance is the only god you can pray to. Be wary... for Chance is a deceitful bitch.

“Hey, miss?” Deedee called out after a few minutes. “Miss, are you alright?”

“Markus,” I muttered back. “My name is Markus.”

“...Markus?” My ears perked up again. It was first voice, the one that I had heard before. This time, it was louder, enough that I could tell that the owner was quite young. Maybe a filly, barely in her teens at the oldest. But there was something else about the voice that made my brow furrow. It was very familiar, I just couldn’t name who. “Excuse me?”

“Yes?” I answered.

“Markus...?” the voice repeated. “As in... Markus Knight?”

...What the schist...? I blinked, then sprang up to the door of the cage. “Who is that?” I called out. “How did you know my name?”

“Markus, it’s me!” I could hear a loud clanging noise as the filly pressed herself against her own cage. “It’s me! Anna! Your sister!”

“Circles and circles and circles...” Zach muttered with a giggle.