• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 12,241 Views, 762 Comments

Becoming Rainbow Dash: A Tale of Two Worlds - Freescript the Bard



Markus wakes up in Rainbow Dash's body in his bed on Earth

  • ...
40
 762
 12,241

Promptly, Promptly, Promptly!

“I’ve been waiting... for a boy like you; to come into my life... I’ve been waiting...” I sang to myself as I leaned up against the composite plastic wall of the dog carrier. I couldn’t remember how long it was since I had woken up in here, but it seemed like ages. I dared not to try to sleep for fear of my brain being damaged by whatever head trauma I may have experienced. My brain was the one thing I had left, after all.

Even my own voice was gone. Sure, my singing ability had improved a ton, but it wasn’t my voice. It was that of this small pony I had become. This orange and purple filly whose name I didn’t even know, yet whose body I now inhabited.

“...for someone new; to make me feel-- Ah, screw it,” I growled, giving in. The sound of the voice was getting on my nerves, anyhow. Slamming a frustrated hoof into the carrier, I sighed and slid to the bottom, my tiny wings brushing against the sides. All I want is to know how I got here, and what it has to do with my becoming a pony.

Suddenly, I heard a loud clanging noise, like someone opening up a latch on a large door. Instantly, I jumped over to the grating to call out for help. But something stopped me just as I began to form the words in my mouth: I didn’t know if the intruder was the same person who put me here in the first place. So I kept quiet and listened, my ears swivelling on my head.

“...still need to discuss payment,” a voice continued from a conversation unknown to me. I had to keep myself from gasping in shock as I recognized the speaker as Mr. Dalton, Kenzie’s dad. Mr. Dalton did this to me!? I wondered in fright. Why!? What did I ever do to him!?

That even those you think you know may be the devil himself.

“Yeah, man. You’ll get your cut as soon as you deliver these things,” someone else affirmed with an uncaring tone. “The Boss down in Chicago can sort ya out good.”

“Good,” Dalton’s voice said curtly. “Help me get the rest of them in here.”

“That’s why I’m here, dude.”

Without warning, something slammed into the side of the dog carrier, turning the door away from the wall. As light flooded in, I finally got a good look at the world outside the carrier. To my surprise, I found that the carrier was in the bed of a moving van. Dalton and the other guy- a scrawny blonde man that was maybe nineteen or twenty -were standing just outside and leaning over to pick something up.

“Mr. Dalton!” I called, pleading loudly. “Please, for mercy’s sake! It’s me, Anna! Let me go!”

“Shut up!” Dalton snapped at me over his shoulder, then got up to face me. The glare on his face was full of hatred. “How dare you use her name, you monster! Anna was the girl that you killed coming into this world! Don’t you dare disrespect her memory!”

What!? I was dumbstruck as his words hit me like an iron weight. For several seconds, I looked at Dalton with a confused look, trying to decipher what he meant. Does he really think that’s what happened? That I died? “But--!”

“Oh shut it, the both of you!” the other guy barked at us, then turned his attention to Dalton. “You gonna help me or not, mate?”

“Yeah, sorry,” Dalton replied, bending over again to help the guy lift something else up.

Together, they hefted up another dog carrier, similar to my own. To my further horror, I made out the limp form of an adult pony within, their light-blue coat showing through the grating. With a great heave, they slid the carrier into the van. It hit the back wall with a loud, resonating thud. I realized that what had turned my carrier earlier was another such carrier colliding with mine.

After they had five carriers loaded- my own included -Dalton and the guy started closing the loading doors of the van. “Dalton!” I cried out desperately as the doors swung closed. “Dalton, please! Don’t leave me!”

But it was too late. Darkness slammed down on me as the doors closed, sealing the bed of the van. After a moment, the roar of an engine started up, causing the whole vehicle to shudder. As the van began to move, I could only sit in the dark and wonder where I was being taken. ...and pray. Pray for something... anything... to save me.

~+~+~+~

“Little lost one, floating with the lost...”

My sleepy eyes snapped open at the voice in the dark. It had been several hours since we had started this drive, but I hadn’t heard a peep from the other ponies with me. At first, I thought I was imagining the voice, but it continued.

“Shh... to hear the Who you must be quiet. Very, very quiet.”

“Uh... hello?” I asked to the dark. “Is someone there?”

“Here, there, everywhere... and nowhere, too... hehehehe...”

Oooookaaaay... that isn’t creepy at all. The voice had a very crazed tone to it; to the point where I wouldn’t give it a grain of credibility beyond mad ramblings of someone who had clearly lost their marbles. But, for some odd reason, I heard a very... well, to say it was comforting would have been a lie, but it somehow made me feel a little better. “Who’s there?”

“One for whom Hell’s bells have tolled in Heaven, to sound the coming of dawn from the precipice of dusk.”

I sighed. Yep. Batshit insane. “Could you at least tell me your name?”

“To none I am God. To all I am none. To some I am Zigzag.”

“Your name is Zigzag?” I replied, riddling his name from the speech patterns. “Interesting name. You doing okay, Zig?”

“Promptly, promptly, promptly!”

In an odd way, I began to find his meaningless rambles a little entertaining and, if a tad unnerving, a little funny. “That so?” I humored with a giggle. “So where do you think we’re headed?”

“Look at it play in the sky! Watch it dance and swirl! Spires and spires!”

“Indeed,” I answered, laying down on the floor of the carrier, staring up at the dark. Maybe I was trapped with a nutcase pony in a van going who-knows-where, but that didn’t mean I couldn’t enjoy his company a little.

Author's Note:

Kudos to anyone that can find the method behind Zigzag's madness!