• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 12,240 Views, 762 Comments

Becoming Rainbow Dash: A Tale of Two Worlds - Freescript the Bard



Markus wakes up in Rainbow Dash's body in his bed on Earth

  • ...
40
 762
 12,240

Silas Nemitas: Disciple of Order, Hand of Chaos (Slightly Revised)

’You’re staring at her again,’ Rainbow chuckled.

I tore my gaze away from Gloria, growling inwardly at my *yäwe. I was not. I was just... browsing some of the merchandise. Looking back to the mirror, I straightened the jacket and plain white tee I had purchased from Gloria at a reasonable price. It felt good to be wearing something familiar. The surplus cotton was like the smoothest silk on my coat, and the wing-slits were cut perfectly. Almost as if it was made for me.

’Oh yeah, some ‘merchandise.’ Can I get that plot in a size Dash?’

For the love of sanity, shut up! I yell back. I had just about had it with the prismatic pegasus’ constant jeers. For the record, I was just looking at a bandana and Gloria had just happened to move in front of it. Just a victim of circumstance. I’m merging with your perverted mind, Dash. If I’m looking at a mare for just her ass, then that’s all your half.

’...so you admit you were looking, AND that you think she has a hot flank?’

I hate you so much right now.

“Um... darling?” I turned to see Gloria, Taylor, and Airheart looking at me with concerned expressions. Well, actually... Taylor’s was more of a look of curiosity than worry. “You were glaring at your reflection,” Gloria continued. “Is something wrong with the jacket?”

“Not at all!” I said quickly. “I mean, the jacket is perfect. I love it. Fits better than the one I had when I was human.” I emphasized by straightening the collar again. “I was just wondering if it would hurt my flying any with the extra drag or weight.”

“Not at all, darling,” Gloria flicked a hoof, as if casting aside a worrisome bug. “It’s been crafted with lighter material, but is still insulated very well.”

“As if that would be a problem for someone who can carry four ponies while traveling at ten times the speed of sound,” Airheart commented.

I gaped at this revelation, my jaw going a similar speed to the one described. Rainbow Dash could go Mach Ten!? ’Technically, I can hit Mach Five, but that’s when I do a Sonic Rainboom. The blast propels me twice that,’ Dash remarked casually as I continued to hold my look of surprise. ’Yes. I know. I am awesome.’

I stayed silent for a few moments. You’re so OP, Dash.

~+~+~+~

Silas peered out of his Piper Cub at the scenery passing by below him. While he could direct a larger portion of his attention to flying and keeping the plane level, his remarkable ability to multitask allowed him to appreciate the rolling hills of Indiana at the same time. This knack of his, to devote his mind to multiple tasks at one time and keep every thought organized and efficient, was the key to his success as an international expert on technology and sociology.

...and on the side, becoming a multimillionaire through multiple profiles on several major stock markets.

A notification alert drew some of his attention to the display docked on the dash of the cockpit. The display was cluttered with several windows, including chatrooms, stock numbers, and a search program that was plugging all levels of the web for certain keywords and phrases in dozens of news sites and social networks.

Dow Jones average down one-point-three-seven in the last hour, consider revision of current holdings within industrial field, one portion of his thoughts reported. Another was drawn to the search program display. Facebook post by Markus Knight, currently occupying the form of Rainbow Dash, using an overweb server address based in Columbus, Ohio. Previous post made in District of Columbus. He’s moving away from New York. Next destination most plausibly Chicago, travelling by direct route.

Silas reached over with his free hand to a number pad and quickly punched in an American phone number. A second later, the sound of a ringing phone played in his headset, interrupted when the call was answered by a neutral male voice. “Thank you for calling the Primatech Paper headquarters in Chicago, Illinois. My name is Dan. How may I help you today?”

“Subject Zero is inbound on your location, and will arrive roughly half an hour before me,” he replied, unfazed by the cover. “Make sure she is greeted properly.”

“Yes, Mr. Silence,” Dan said, his cheery voice gone. “Will you be needing anything else, sir?”

Instead of answering, Silas simply hung up. No mistakes. No taking chances. He repeated the mantra several times before glancing back at the screens. Dow Jones average up point-eight points since last check. Allocate stocks to match unusual fluctuation...

~+~+~+~

“Did you ever get the feeling you’re being watched?” Chloe asked me.

I gave her a glance, then looked around at the empty sky, then at the ground far below. From what I could tell, we were well over Indiana, with Columbus far behind us.

We left Taylor’s Tailors promptly after lunch, anxious to get on our way again. Chloe had picked out a brown fleece vest and scarf, which, in my opinion made her look like Amelia ‘Airheart.’ We paid for our clothes, which came at half-price at Gloria’s insistence and Taylor’s rolling eyes, and said our goodbyes. There was a lot of hugging and thanking and well wishing and laughing and...

’I think you enjoyed that hug a little too much.’

SHUT! UP! DASH!

“We’re in the bodies of cartoon ponies, a thousand feet above the ground, with the world in possible mortal peril, and we’re sharing our heads with other beings,” I pointed out a little harshly, still fuming at Dash. “Frankly, anyone that isn’t paranoid is either stupid or lives under a rock in Antarctica.”

“Not paranoid, just…” Airheart glanced around. “Watched.”

“It’s probably nothing,” I assured. Personally, I thought it may have just been her imagination, so I turned back to watching the sky ahead, trying to keep my bearings and ignore the voice in my head. But after a few moments, there was a light brushing feeling in the back of my mind that I couldn’t. ’You feel it too,’ Dash remarked.

Huh?

’You feel like you’re being watched. You’re just too focused on flying to realize it or in total denial of it.’

I rolled my eyes at her. Anything else while I’m being psychoanalyzed by a pony in my head? I snapped back, on the edge of my nerve.

’Hey, if you wanna be a featherbrained plothead, that’s no hide off my flank!’ she chastised, making my head hurt a bit. ’But for Celestia’s sake, at least listen to me instead of blowing me off! Focus on the problem.’

YOU are my problem!

Author's Note:

*yäwe: A bond of trust, an elvish word from the Inheritance Cycle.

This chapter feels weird. Does it feel weird? I think it feels weird.

EDIT: There really isn't much difference in this chapter. I just added a little more to the strain between Dash and Markus.