• Published 10th Oct 2012
  • 5,157 Views, 190 Comments

Vinyl and Octavia: Roommates Are Magic - Jam Rocker



Vinyl and Tavi have an apartment together? Nothing but regular roommate stuff happens. Heh heh.

  • ...
10
 190
 5,157

An Afternoon Train to Ponyville (Vinyl's Family Part 1)

Now, after Pinkie's crude visiting, and finding all the first aid kits at Vinyl's studio building (I don't, I don't even), life went pretty slow for a few days.

I will admit, the few days of my life which you have been reading has been the most exciting in months.

My life isn't that exciting. Out of everything, Vinyl is the only thing in my life which is exciting. That's why moving into an apartment with her has caused a story to rise.

Okay, I know that sounds sad that Vinyl is the only thing in my life that's exciting... But I have other things too! I go to balls and galas time by time! One time, my cello's tuning pegs turned crazy minutes before a performance, and I had to fix them at the last second!... One time I accidentally bought brown cinnamon poptarts instead of smores poptarts.

Somepony please tell me they've had that same problem... They're almost the exact same design!

Anyways, about three days have passed since Pinkie's visiting. I'm not saying that nothing interesting happened the past mid-week, but I only write the things I want to remember, and the out-of-the-ordinary situations only happened momentarily.

And in a way, I don't want to remember them.

...


Tuesday

As I was going to the table to eat my breakfast this morning, something particular strange happened... Vinyl must have worked very hard to get this all together.

"VINYL!" I screamed, staring a real, live octopus slithering and squirming upon the kitchen table. Vinyl popped out from behind the counter.

"TA-DA! It's an octopus! Octavia, octopus... Get it?"


Wednesday

Actually... Nothing interesting happened today. Wednesdays are very boring.


Thursday

"Hey, Octavia!" Vinyl said, holding something in a white paper with her magic.

"Hello, Vinyl. What are you holding?"

"Oh, nothing, just got a fish from the super-" She then dropped what was a fish onto the floor. She was already trying to hold her giggles. "Oops, it looks like I dropped the-"

"Enough, I get it... And that's a salmon."


Yeah, that's all the things that happened the past three days that are worth telling. Other than that, I had work, read a book or two, ate a leftover pie, then worked some more... Yeah.

Did I make any progress on the Vinyl situation? No... For now, I keep this secret until I find something plausible to do. I'm not going to risk any stupid things! I still have the drinks Pinkie gave us though... I'm worried to drink them. For now, I've just stored them in the cabinet and hoped that I won't have to see it for some time...

I've seen Pinkie at parties. I've seen the things she can handle to drink. And I'm not exactly the best when it comes to drinking, no matter what Vinyl says.

At this particular Friday, there were no concerts or meetings I had to attend to, and there was also no practice, so I simply stayed home and watched more of The Trotting Dead.

What a scintillating idea... Zombie ponies. Am I the only who thinks that it wouldn't be that bad?

I mean, seriously. They're dead ponies who could trot. If there were to be real zombie ponies, I bet they'd be too dead to even walk up stairs... They're dead!

Okay, maybe this day would end up like my whole week, and I'd just spend these words blabbering on about what I'm going to eat or how I'd last in a zombie apocalypse.

Or so I thought.

Vinyl slammed through the door and said something inaudible with her huffs of breathing.

Vinyl was supposed to be at the studio at the time she came, dropping bass beats and remixing songs. Why would she come in the middle of work?

"What happened?! Vinyl, speak clearly." I said, pausing the exciting television show.

Vinyl huffed through her words. "Dad... Accident... Ponyville... Now..." She fell on the floor and continued to breathe deeply. She apparently ran the whole way back to the apartment.

"Your father got in an accident? How!?"

"Hit... By a moving cart. I need to visit... Next train in twenty minutes. I need to get my monthly pass... Whew! Man. Can you get it for me? First desk drawer..."

"Okay!" I ran to her room, found it, and she magically grasped it and set it down on the table when I came back.

"Thanks... Now let me catch my breathe for a second." After a minute, she jumped back on her feet. "Okay! I'll be back tomorrow, I'll probably spend the night there."

"Wait!"

"What?"

I had a weekend of boredom and I wanted to meet Vinyl's family.... And I didn't want her to be alone. It had to be done.

"...I want to come."

"Really now? You sure? I'm kinda in a hurry, and Ponyville isn't exactly the classiest place around..."

"No, I insist! I don't want you to be alone on the ride. And I have nothing to do the whole weekend, I might as well help you."

"...You got a train pass already?"

I ran back to my room, then came back with it in my mouth.

It's a hard life for an earth pony.

I spit it out. "Of course."

Out of the whole conversation we've had since she barged in, she finally smiled. "Well then. Let's go, Tavi."


Vinyl and I rode a cart (ironically) to the train station, showed our passes, and took our seats on the train. For some reason, the whole train was crowded with ponies going to Ponyville and the towns near it, and Vinyl and I had to sit pressed up to each other on a window seat.

I know it wasn't a good time to think about, but man... Vinyl is so soft.

How can a pony who's so irresponsible and active all the time be so soft?

I was the one between Vinyl and the window, and I didn't have that much space, so I slowly relaxed myself by Vinyl's body. She was looking off somewhere, but I felt that she started relaxing too.

As surprising as it sounds (knowing that I have been friends with Vinyl for quite a long time), I've never heard Vinyl talk about her family... Or at least specifically talk about them.

Of course there's the usual "I'm going to visit since it's my sister's birthday" or "my mom made the best pumpkin pies", but she had never gone into the topic of actually talking about them.

I know that Vinyl's family is a general musical family. What do they play? Are they DJs like Vinyl?

And her sister. I barely even know her name! I know it was something about a note...

I looked at her, and she seemed to be deep in thought. As weird as it sounds, I studied the facial features I could see (due to her shades), and noticed the small bead of sweat running down her cheek, and the small frown stapled to her face. She noticed me staring, unfortunately.

"What?" She asked.

"Oops! Sorry. You just seem really worried about your dad. Are you okay?"

"Oh. Yeah, I'm fine. It's just that, you know... I'm worried if he's okay."

"Ahhh. Well, I know it's not the best time, but can you tell me about your family? I mean, I've known you for so long and I don't know a thing about them."

"I've never told you anything about my fam?"

I looked at her with an "are you serious" face. "You never told me anything other than you have a father, mother, and sister, and your sister has a really soft mane."

"Well she does!"

"Well, can I have more information please?"

She giggled for the first time since she got on the train.

"Okay, let's see... My dad's name is Record Spinner. My mom's name is Mezzo-Forte. Ponies call her Mez. And my sister's name is Crescendo. I call her C-Note for short. Um, my whole family are Ponyville ponies... My dad was a DJ. He thought me the whole thing. That's why I really care about him."

"Wow, see? Why didn't I know these things before? And what do your sister and mother play?"

She slyly smiled. "Well, I didn't want to tell you because I was sure you'd freak. My sister is a violinist and my mother is a cellist like you."

You should've seen my jaw drop.

"WHAT?" I said loudly. Half of the ponies in the train looked at me, and I squee'd.

One day, ponykind will have explanations to this occurence of squee's. One day, we will know.

I lowered my voice. "What?!"

She laughed. "Well, I was going to tell you, but then I was sure you'd all go 'I can't believe more than half your family plays my instruments dead Celestia' on me! That's why I decided to just leave the topic alone."

I just sighed and leaned on her shoulder. I decided to not answer that because I knew it was true.

She even had the accent right.

"Well, is that why you first learned how to play the viola?" I grinned. "Wow! So your mother tried to get you into the orchestra business, but your father turned you around to become a disk jockey! Your family is basically in half, correct?"

"Pretty much! But it's not something they all fight about. It's actually what makes my family kinda cool, heh. My mom and pops are very different from each other."

"Wow..." I was still leaning on her shoulder, and I was starting to get tired.

Darn her and her surprisingly soft fur!

The conversation died out and it was oddly a very long ride from Manehattan to Ponyville, so my eyelids slowly started to get heavy and sleep slowly went around me.

After what felt like just a minute of sleep, Vinyl shook me.

"Yo, Tavi, we're here."

Ponyville. What a quaint town it always was.

Author's Note:

Greetings, guys and gals!

Well, it's been a long time since I updated. I made a promise to myself that I would finish this story, no matter what, but I knew that I wasn't going to get time to update so I switched it to hiatus.

Now, I'm going to guess that at least some of you want an explanation to why I've been gone for so long.

Well, as overly-cliche and cheesy as it is, I have to be honest.

I was with this girl... And I put everything I had to making sure she was happy. I even lost my best friend in the process.

But it didn't work out.

So as any boy would do, I went into some sort of depression, and in that, I guess I just didn't feel like I had the creativity to find where this story was going, heh.

Well, now I feel better than ever. And I know this chapter sounds more like a filler, but the laughs and storylines and awkward moments will get to you in heartbeat! Just stay tuned!

Also, reference to one of my favorite pony comics :)

Comments ( 21 )

It's back. Amazing. :twilightsmile:

Another Vinyl and Octavia fic! I'VE READ SO MANY BUT I CAN'T RESIST. ONTO THE READ LIST WITH YOU

its gotta be Journey by (crhist that might be the band i dont remember)

Just a city boy.... born and raised in south detrooit! (something something) He took the midnight train goin ANNYYYYYWHEEERE

I know dem feel man :pinkiesad2:. Glad you feeling better :twilightsmile:

I saw this was updated and many tears were cried!:fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry:

love it so far setting the stage for the next advertence :rainbowkiss:, sorry to hear about that but were glad to have ya back

I NEED MOAR!!! Seriously though this is a great story and I can't wait for future updates.

Ps-sorry to hear about what happened irl

Oh and if the title is a reference to Don't Stop Beleivin I think A Midnight Train to Ponyville would havebeen a more appropriate title. Just my opinion though.

Ah!! This is great! More! :) :raritydespair: :heart:

GIVE... ME... MORE!!! I been waiting for half a year now! I demand a new chapter soon or I will lie to Pinkie Pie and say that you broke a Pinkie.promise. You have been warned...

Seriously though, this is one of the funniest stories online and I hate the idea of not getting finished. :pinkiesad2:

You need to add a new chapter! I need it!!
http://i.imgur.com/TND7UGU.gif

New chapter soon? Plzzzzzzzzzz :pinkiesad2:

Must Read More!!

............Please?

Please post the next chapter soon it's been4 ever please!!!!!!!!! Oh and great work by the way

Comment posted by Jay_Baker deleted May 30th, 2014

Hey I want to apoligize for trying to rush
You,you have life and sorry I just real like
This book and I was wondering if you
Could post the new chapter soon this book
Is on my favorites and I check every day to
See if there was a new chapter so please
There are very few things left in life that I
Still enjoy and these books are one of them
So please soon and thank you keep up the
New work

Whoa, this is so rushed! D:
I understand why, though. Although it would be nice if you could detail more and slow down the pace :P
Good story.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT I MUST FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS. :pinkiecrazy::fluttercry::pinkiecrazy:

Stop with the fucking gay ships of Vinyl Scratch please!! Stop being fucking retarded perverts! You don't half to like gays to be a bring my fucking he'll!

Login or register to comment