• Published 28th Sep 2023
  • 395 Views, 9 Comments

First Friend - Dragon-In-Black



When Sunset Shimmer first came to the human world, she became friends with Trixie Lulamoon, her first friend.

  • ...
 9
 395

Chapter 2: The Mall

After Sunset had finished her final class, she had been worried about going to the library because she didn’t know where it was. That is, of course, not the reason she was afraid, what she was fearful of was asking someone for directions.

She wasn’t known for being sociable which may to an outsider look contradictory considering she spoke to Trixie in the cafeteria, but that was because Sunset didn’t want the other teen to feel saddened or disappointed that the new filly—girl, didn’t want to speak with her.

However, her antisocial behaviour proved to be difficult after twenty minutes of walking through the corridors, giving her only ten minutes to do her homework before Trixie showed her around the city.

Sunset became lucky, however, when she noticed a large sign by the end of the corridor that read; Library. There were two large double doors with small, narrow windows showing the inside of the library.

Quickening her phase, she made it to the doors and walked inside, she felt her heart do a loop when her eyes met two floors filled with books. In the middle was a circular table with... something she had never seen before. It was a large box with a cable leading towards an alphabet and something else to the side she couldn’t name.

Curious, she made her way up to it and studied it.

It sort of resembled a typewriter that journalists in Equestria used. Perhaps it was something similar?

Satisfied with her findings, she made her way over to an empty table and pulled out her notebook and books she had been given by teachers to study for the term. She had been given a pencil that was similar to a quill but this... pencil didn’t need ink, all she needed to do was sharpen it every once in a while and the eraser could ‘erase’ words she had misspelled or written the wrong thing.

That had pleasantly surprised the former student of Princess Celestia.

With that, Sunset began to fill her homework with all the knowledge she had and remembered what the teachers had said in her classes while looking at her notes for references.

Occasionally, she would look for words she didn’t understand or know while looking at the large double doors for her... for Trixie.

Luckily for Sunset, the blue-skinned teen didn’t come through the doors until she had managed to finish the last of her homework which was chemistry which took some time to finish due to some words being different due to their Equestrian counterparts.

Sunset placed her homework inside a folder when the double doors opened with a slam, causing the fire-haired girl to jump and see Trixie walk inside with a smug look on her face which quickly disappeared when the librarian, Miss Cheerilee shushed the girl and chastised her for slamming the doors.

The sheepish magician made her way to Sunset who tried her best not to laugh at the situation.

“Is there a reason for you slamming the doors to a library?” Sunset whispered with a raised brow while holding her hoof—hand to her mouth to stifle her giggling.

“Trixie is not used to being quiet unless it’s inside a classroom,” She whispered back while trying to contain her blush. Sunset raised a brow.

“Then just imagine this as a classroom,”

She watched the confusion on the magician's face until there was a slight look of understanding. The fire-haired girl grabbed her bag and got up from the chair. “So, what do you want to show me?” At this, the blue-skinned teenager forgot all about the last few seconds as she squealed loudly causing Miss Cheerilee to shush the teen and usher them out of the library.

~~~

In the city of Canterlot, Sunset couldn’t help but be amazed by how big and tall the buildings were. They were also beautiful which showed due to the amount of people walking by and gazing at the tall structures. Many of them must either have been similar to Sunset; new to the city or tourists visiting.

In the city centre was a large mall with four floors filled with multiple different food places, clothing stores, electronics and even a car dealership. It was all interesting to Sunset.

They had something called electricity which seemed to function as some form of magic but humans didn’t have magic so they must have gotten that resource from some other place on this earth. The car dealership amazed Sunset mostly because of the fact it looked like a wagon but this wagon didn’t have humans pulling it, instead; it relied on a battery made for cars and oil—the same thing she read had started multiple wars which confused her.

If they had the resource why was there a need for fighting? She shook her head. Humans were a weird species.

The outside of the mall had hundreds of cars lined up in something called a “parking lot” specifically for vehicles for cars and something called a “motorcycle” that resembled a bicycle but had an engine and also relied on oil and a battery similar to a car but for motorcycles. There was a third place for something called a “truck” which is a very large vehicle that contained hundreds of different things for the shops in the mall or things the mall needed.

When Sunset and Trixie stood outside, the magician threw her hands in the air and had a small dance which ended with her standing on one leg on the tip of her toes.

“A voila!” Trixie said in her best posh accent that sounded similar to Canterlot nobility in Equestria. “Here is the mall where most if not all of Canterlot High School goes to after school and on the weekends.”

Trixie motioned with her hand to follow her. The magician led the former student of Princess Celestia to the entrance and the former unicorn was amazed by the screens that showcased multiple different products that companies wanted to sell to their customers as well as different food advertisements.

It was like the magic shows she had seen in Canterlot during the Summer Sun Celebration but the difference here was that there was no source of magic, just “electricity,” some kind of moving pictures and creativity on the humans' part.

Looking around, Sunset’s eyes landed on the multitude of teenagers she recognised from school. Many of them were chatting with people they knew or hung out with friends. There were also older people walking around essentially doing the same as the high schoolers but were more... refined? She couldn’t put the right words but she would leave it at that.

“So this is the mall,” Sunset stated with a surprised look. She turned to Trixie who had turned to face her when she heard the fire-haired girl speak. “I gotta say; it’s impressive.”

Trixie had a small smile. “Trixie is pleased. But she knows that it probably is nothing compared to the ones in New York, but I hope this can suffice for your needs,”

“Don’t worry, Trixie, it most certainly will,” Sunset reassured. As she had said those words, however, she felt a lump in her throat. It was... weird, it was as if her body couldn’t handle the lie she had created. She shook off the feeling to the side, she could deal with the emotions later that had started to infect her mind.

The girls walked to multiple clothing stores and tried a few dresses. Trixie had surprisingly good taste in colours and dresses. She had picked up a neon light blue dress that reached the calves and left the breathing room while giving her curves justice. Sunset had found a wine-red Bardot pleat dress that she had fallen for. In the end, Sunset didn’t buy it because she was still waiting for orders from the bank. All she had were bits from Equestria which was the currency there.

Despite this knowledge, Sunset promised herself that she would buy the dress at a different time. Now, however, she needed to save everything she had.

After looking at the clothes, they made their way to a food court and ordered burgers on Trixie’s dime because she was adamant about paying. Trixie had ordered a double bacon cheeseburger and a large soda to go with it.

Sunset had been unsure of what to order. In Equestria, they didn’t eat any form of meat apart from fish which was mostly excluded for the pegasi but other ponies could eat it as well. However, now she wasn’t in Equestria, she was in the mirror world where she was transformed into a human who was predominantly omnivores and did have meat in their diet. To be on the safe side, she decided to order the same thing Trixie did but felt nervous about eating the meat.

That changed when she took her first bite, it felt like heaven. Before she knew it she had finished her meal in a matter of seconds, leaving a wide-eyed Trixie who blinked before shrugging and finishing her lunch.

After that, they made their way towards a place called “cinema” or “theatre” depending on the dialect of the language she spoke in this world. There were multiple different “movies” as she learned they were called, that were on display either on what they were showing or old classics that they had once played.

“Do you want to watch a movie with Trixie?” The magician asked, glancing over to her friend. “I’ll pay!”

Sunset rolled her eyes and chuckled. “Sure, what do you feel in the mood for?”

The blue-skinned teenager beamed and practically dragged Sunset towards a display which showed a man and woman looking into each other's eyes with small smiles gracing their lips.

“A romance story?” Sunset questioned, surprised by her... Trixie’s taste in genre.

The magician though, nodded furiously. “Trixie’s favourite actor is in this one. Pipsqueak is such a good actor, the first movie I saw of him was when he welcomed the return of a queen who ruled the night. He played the role of a soldier who hated the day but adored the night. The queen returns and he joins her when a war starts between the ‘daylighters’ as their called in the movie Nightlighters. Ever since I have watched every movie and TV show he’s been in.”

Sunset smiled at the other teenagers’ enthusiasm. “Well, now I’m curious as to why he’s so good in your books. Shall we watch?”

The teenager jumped and Sunset swore she heard her entire back crack at the bone-crushing hug before she was released and essentially forced to pick snacks and drinks.

Sunset grinned to herself. ‘Why was Princess Celestia hesitant to allow me into this world? Probably because of some selfish reason.’

Without realising it, she was squeezing her drink a little too hard so small drops of soda ran down to her hand which was noticed by Trixie, particularly her strong hands.

“Are you okay?” Trixie asked with concern. Sunset looked down at her hand and felt the unnecessary strength in her hand.

“Yeah, sorry, a lot on my mind right now,” she smiled a convincing smile before making her way over to the counter, Trixie following with concerned eyes.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone, Dragon-In-Black here back with another chapter, I hope you enjoyed it!

I will write to you guys next time.

Comments ( 5 )

Quickening her phase, she made it to the doors

Quickening her pace, she made it to the doors

this... pencil didn’t need ink, all she needed to do was sharpen it every once in a while and the eraser could ‘erase’ words she had misspelled or written the wrong thing.

What is this sorcery! Sunset must have thought.

Occasionally, she would look for words she didn’t understand

The use of some examples would have been nice, whether for world-building or comedy purposes.

last of her homework which was chemistry which took some time to finish due to some words being different due to their Equestrian counterparts.

last of her homework, which was chemistry, took some time to finish due to some words being different to their Equestrian counterparts.

Also, once again, some examples would have been nice here, to.

This is a really cute story so far. I'm excited to see how it progresses :trixieshiftright:

Amazing story keep up the great work

Added to read list. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment