• ...
0
 13
 680

Chapter 2: Friendship is Magic

The screen lit up and opened with a lone book in a grassy field. The book itself was worn and brown, as if some of the paint was chipping off, while the spine of it was wrapped in golden bindings. Set into its center was a golden unicorn head with one turquoise eye, and on each corner of the book was a golden symbol.

Twilight felt a chill go up her spine upon seeing that old book again. The day she found that old book in the library, she had just thought it looked intriguing. At the time, all she wanted was to read some Equestrian history. And also to keep her library book record up. According to the old librarian, Dusty Pages, when she had asked her what the best history book was, she had pointed Twilight to this one. And it was exactly the kind of thing Twilight was looking for.
This particular book had a more extensive history than what ponies usually had back in those days.

But then she read a story, a story that would change her entire life. The Legend of the Mare of the Moon. Of course, Twilight knew all about the Mare of the Moon. Her parents would often tell both her and her big brother about it on Nightmare Night nights, and of course, that's all it was. A story meant to frighten children into behaving. Nopony thought it was real.

Until she read this version of the story. When she found out that if the Elements of Harmony was real, then the villain herself was as well. Twilight also remembered why it was a legend. Ponies always just assumed the legend was created because of the strange crater on the moon. With it being a thousand years since Princess Luna’s banishment, it made a lot of sense. Even the fact that the name Luna had never even existed before her return.

The others looked at it in wonder. Her friends who were there when they first heard about the Elements of Harmony, felt some familiarity, but they couldn’t place it. Especially Starlight and Sunset. What could this mysterious book mean?

Suddenly, the book opened to reveal a beautiful illustration of a megestic dark castle in a forest accompanied by a gentle, almost motherly voice. “Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria.”

While everypony smiled at their princess’s voice, Sunset Shimmer glared at the screen. As soon as she returned to the human world, she would use the Element of Harmony she stole to control the entire student body back at Canterlot High, and finally get her vengeance on her former teacher and earn her place as Equestria’s rightful princess. Celestia thought she could control her, well she had another thing coming!

Starlight couldn’t help it as once again she felt that disturbing feeling in her chest at the look on Sunset's face. ‘What are you thinking about?’ Starlight thought. ‘And why is your name so darn familiar?’ It was either a name she heard from Twilight, or before that. Whatever the reason was, Starlight's gut was sending all kind of alarm bells.

Sunset suddenly turned her attention to Starlight right as she caught her staring. Starlight could swear she saw a brief glimpse of a smirk on the golden mare's face. A shiver of cold shot through her spine and she gulped.

The narrater continued as the book showed an image of two ponies who stood on clouds, that had horns and wings. “...there were two regal sisters who ruled together... and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn... the younger brought out the moon to begin the night." The book then showed the unicorns doing just that, as it transitioned to a yin and yang image, with the princesses side by side. "Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects: all the different types of ponies."

Starlight narrowed her eyes at the screen. “Hold on, I thought this was going to be about you girls? I mean, I love hearing more about the royal sisters, but still.”

“I think it will,” Twilight began. “If my future self has talked to you about my past, this is when I first got sent to Ponyville.”

Starlight smiled. “Really? That should be interesting, I’ve always wanted to learn more about your origins.” Of course, she knew how Twilight and her friends got their Cutie Marks, but that was pretty much it.

Rainbow Dash grinned from ear to ear, rubbing her hooves together like a mad pony. “Ah yeah, can’t wait to see us kick Nightmare Moon’s sorry flank again.”

Twilight glared at her rainbow-haired friend. “Technically we helped heal her Rainbow.”

Rainbow shrugged nonchalantly. “Hey, say whatever you want Twilight, we still defeated her.”

“I can’t wait too. Especially since I was asleep the whole time,” Spike said with an embarrassed blush. He had been asleep for their entire adventure, and he wished he could have joined them. At least now, he sort of would.

“To be fair Spike, when Nightmare- I mean Princess Luna appeared, it was pretty terrifying. Not to mention you’re still young, and you needed your rest, especially since we stayed up so late during that day.”

Despite feeling embarrassed, he gave Twilight a small smile for her support.

“Where I was at the time, well, the night really did feel longer than usual, so I’m curious too,” Starlight added. Even though she was still in her hometown, Sire’s Hollow, when Nightmare Moon returned, it was then that she was plotting her plan that would ultimately lead her to brain-washing pony’s minds that Cutie Marks were evil. She still felt uncomfortable lying to Twilight and the others about her past, but she didn’t feel brave enough to tell them this.

Because for once, Starlight was in a place where nopony knew her past. But if this video was going to show them everything, past, present, and future for all nine of their lives, Starlight knew she’d have to come clean at some point, because if she didn't, the video would show it, and then everypony would hate her even more. Or worse, the mysterious being would tell them about it.

“Where were you, if you don’t mind me asking?” Twilight asked. Everypony looked at her expectantly, except Sunset.

“I was in my hometown, as a teenager,” the lilac mare explained.

Sunset Shimmer narrowed her eyes, but not at the conversation with Starlight. Nightmare Moon was real? And Nightmare Moon was Princess Luna? Princess Twilight, that blowhard, and her stupid friends took down the princess of nightmares? She was really curious about this little encounter.

The book then showed a picture of the younger unicorn appearing lonely and angry as she watched the ponies down below, sitting on the same cloud she and her sister had stood upon. “But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night." The picture moved upward to the younger unicorn looking defiant, with a pale blue moon over her head. "One fateful day, the younger unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one’s heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Moon.” The illustration changed to a more ominous and sinister picture as thunder clashed alongside the terrible creature the unicorn had turned into.

Twilight closed her eyes in thought. At the time of reading that book, just like everypony else, she had no idea that the sister in this story was real. Now that she did know, her heart broke for her mentor. How much pain and heartache did Celestia have to go through while watching her sister turn to darkness? It was something Twilight knew she wouldn’t wish on anypony. Even her worst enemy.

Fluttershy looked away and whimpered, especially after that terrifying Nightmare Night moment before they were all carried over, which added to her fear factor. Thankfully, Rainbow Dash put her forehooves and wings out and hugged her childhood friend, which Fluttershy appreciated.

"She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night. Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponydom: the Elements of Harmony! Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister and banished her permanently in the moon. The elder sister took on responsibility for both...sun and moon…” The narrator switched from Princess Celestia to Twilight Sparkle, who was in the Canterlot gardens, concentrating on the open book in front of her.

Despite the bitter memories Sunset remembered while looking at her former home, she also couldn’t help feeling a twinge of nostalgia at seeing Canterlot.

"And harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since." Twilight put a hoof to her chin, and then looked up from the story she was reading, and glanced at the blue sky in thought. “Hmm... Elements of Harmony. I know I’ve heard of those before... But where?”

The screen faded to black, before the screen showed a smiling Twilight trotting over a street of road, the history book in a pair of saddlebags hanging from her side. Suddenly, 2 pairs of legs blocked her path, and by their stature, it told the viewers they were in fact female.

”There you are, Twilight!” One of the ponies called out. She had a white coat, curly pink mane and tail, bright blue eyes, and a cutie mark of three blue stars. “Moondancer is having a little get-together in the West Castle Courtyard. You wanna come?” Alongside her were two unicorns. One with a medium blue coat, two-tone blue mane, and tail, and deep blue eyes. As well as a yellow coat and blue mane. They both looked eagerly at the 17 year old pony, hoping she'd say yes to come to this party.

But the violet unicorn recoiled a bit from them, as if the ponies were snakes. ”Oh, sorry, girls... I’ve got a lot of studying to catch up on,” Twilight said, eying her bags while giving a forced smile and then galloped away.

Twilight looked down at the floor as shame filled her heart. She remembered when Twinkleshine and Min something, (was that even their names?) and the yellow mare had asked her out to that party. She wished she could go back in time and fix things, to say “yes, I do want to join you!” Then she remembered what the voice had said earlier, that they were here to rectify their mistakes. As soon as they all returned to Equestria, she would immediately book a trip to Canterlot to apologize to them. Especially to Moondancer. But would they forgive her?

Twinkleshine gave an exasperated sigh. ”Does that pony do anything except study?” She thought about it, then answered her question. “I think she’s more interested in books than friends.”

Twinkleshine's friends nodded in agreement as they started trotting in the direction of Moondancer's party.

Twilight flinched at those words, especially since she knew more about friendship now.

“Hey, that’s my friend you’re talking about!” said Rainbow Dash defensively.

“It’s okay, Rainbow, I deserve it. Before coming to Ponyville and meeting you girls, I really did like books more than friends. Sure, nothing’s wrong with a little studying, I just wasn’t as good at balancing those two things as I am now. In fact, before you five, I never even gave friendship a chance.”

"But you had me, and Princess Celestia," Spike pointed out.

Twilight smiled, although it didn't reach her eyes. "True, but I also didn't exactly take it seriously back then."

”I know I’ve heard about the Elements of Harmony…” The violet unicorn said with a look of determination as she raced past two other ponies.

One was a unicorn mare who had a similar colored coat as Twilight, with purple eyes, and three blue amethyst gems as a cutie mark as well as a dark purple mane and tail with a lighter tone of purple in the mix, who carried a blue bucket with a white heart on it in her mouth.

Next to her, was another unicorn mare who was turquoise in coat color, had a light blue mane, with a white swirl, a yellow lyre for a Cutie Mark, and similar colored eyes. The turquoise unicorn attempted to wave hello, but Twilight just ignored her as she continued to gallop leaving her a little rejected.

Twilight sighed, her heart brimming with guilt. Yet another pony she had completely ignored and even hurt. And, if Twilight looked closely at this pony's face, it seemed like this unicorn knew her somehow. Twilight imagined she was going to be handing out a lot of apologies when she got back home.

Twilight ran up the few flights of steps and into a tall tower. Inside the tower, a small, light violet tiny dragon who was smiling happily. He had green spiny plates running from head to tail, a yellow and green underbelly, and darker yellow and green ears shaped like tiny bat wings on the sides of his head. The reason he was happy , was because in his two claws he carried a red box with golden wrapping. However, before he could reach the doors, they burst open, throwing him backward as Twilight emerged from the doorframe.

Everypony in the room flinched, even Sunset. Twilight looked to her right at the tiny drake. “Sorry,” she whispered.

“It’s ok, Twi, It didn’t hurt that much,” Spike replied honestly.

”Spike! Spi-ike!” she called before looking surprised at the fact he didn’t seem to be around. “Spike?” The dragon was flat on his back for a moment before sitting up with his eyes spinning. The violet unicorn finally took notice of him. “There you are.” Twilight galloped past as he cleared his head.

A library was shown filled with various scientific instruments (including a large hourglass) and shelves filled with books. The woozy dragon walked up the stairs, with the present now impaled on his tail.

”Quick, find me that old copy of Predictions and Prophecies,” said Twilight before looking at the gift with a puzzled expression. “What’s that for?”

Spike was a little surprised that it was on his tail. ”Well, it was a gift for Moondancer,” answered Spike pulling the box loose. " But...” The bottom fell out, dumping a damaged teddy bear that squeaked when it hit the floor.

”Oh, Spike...” said the young unicorn sternly, knocking books off a stack with her head “...you know we don’t have time for that sort of thing.”

“Wow Twilight, you were a REALLY big party pooper,” said Pinkie, still in her ridiculous chicken costume. Twilight could only nod softly. Pinkie took out a bag of Nightmare Night candy from her mane and began to munch on it.

“Uh, Pinkie, ya do know we don’t have to eat anything, right?” Applejack asked, looking to her right at the pink earth pony.

“Well duh. I know that you silly filly. But since this is a watch it fanfic, I will use this time to eat all my hard earned Nightmare Night candy, thank you very much.”

Applejack was about to reply, but then thought better about it, and bit her tongue. It was better for her sanity if she didn't question Pinkie.

”But we’re on a break!” The dragon protested.

“No, no, no... No, no, no!” Twilight groaned as she used her magic to summon several books before her, but none of them was the one she wanted. She stomped her hoof in frustration for her assistant/friend. “Spike!”

The dragon answered from a ladder at another high shelf, holding a book. ”It’s over here!” Spike called before being dragged alongside the book by the unicorn’s magic.

”Ah!” Twilight exclaimed happily while the other books hit the floor, released by her telekinesis. She then trotted off, levitating the chosen book with her, while Spike reluctantly began to pick up the remaining books. ”Elements, Elements, E, E, E... Aha!” Twilight used her magic to flip the pages until she found the one she needed. “Elements of Harmony, see: Mare in the Moon?”

Mare in the Moon? But that’s just an old ponies’ tale,” said Spike in disbelief from a ladder, putting the books away.

Twilight flipped through more pages before stopping at one. ”Mare, Mare...aha!” She called as the page showed Nightmare Moon’s silhouette framed by a crescent moon, surrounded by four stars one at each corner of the picture. “The Mare in the Moon. Myth from olden pony times,” Twilight read. “A powerful pony who wanted to rule Equestria. Defeated by the Elements of Harmony and imprisoned in the moon.” Meanwhile, Spike was re-shelving books, slowly losing his balance on the ladder. “Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape.

The stars will aid in her escape? This was the first time Sunset had ever heard of that part of the story. Back when she was still Celestia’s student, the princess had never mentioned it. Sunset wasn’t even aware that Celestia had a sister until of course she was met with the shock of her life in the alternate human world.

“And she will bring about nighttime eternal!” Twilight straightened with a gasp. “Spike! Do you know what this means?”

“No— whoa!” The dragon answered before gravity took him and the tomes down with a yell. Fortunately, he landed on Twilight’s back, who presented the dragon with a scroll and quill pen that he quickly took.

“Take a note please-” Twilight said with a professional tone, snapping her tail straight. “-to the Princess.”

“Okey-dokey,” said Spike bouncing off to the floor from her back.

My dearest teacher, my continuing studies of pony magic have led me to discover that we are on the precipice of disaster!” Twilight said as Spike wrote what she said but stopped.

“Hold on. Preci... Preci…” He gave her a lost look. Being so young, he was not familiar with the word. The unicorn thought for a second.

Threshold,” Twilight tried.

”Threh...” No good.

”Uh...brink?” He looked confused making her groan. “Ugh, that something really bad is about to happen!” He wrote this down quickly and she resumed her pacing while continuing her dictation. For you see, the mythical Mare in the Moon is in fact Nightmare Moon, and she’s about to return to Equestria, and bring with her eternal night! Something must be done to make sure this terrible prophecy does not come true. I await your quick response. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.

”Twi... Light Spar... Kle. Got it!”

”Great! Send it,” Twilight ordered.

”Now?” Spike asked both confused and surprised.

”Of course!” The mare answered, clearly in a hurry.

”Uh...I don’t know, Twilight. Princess Celestia’s a little busy getting ready for the Summer Sun Celebration, and it’s, like, the day after tomorrow,” he said but then the unicorn got in his face.

Spike glanced at Twilight. “Sorry for not believing in you, Twilight.”

Twilight smiled. “Oh, Spike you don’t have to say sorry. For the past one thousand years, ponies thought that the crater in the moon didn’t mean anything. I can understand why you or anypony wouldn’t have believed me, unless you put a lot of research into it.”

”That’s just it, Spike,” Twilight said straightening up. “The day after tomorrow is the thousandth year of the Summer Sun Celebration. It’s imperative that the Princess is told right away!”

” Impera...impera...” Spike tried to write.

”Important!” Twilight yelled strong enough to throw him off his feet and against a set of bookshelves.

“Sorry Spike,” Twilight said softly.

Spike smiled. “Hey, it’s okay. I was just clumsy with my words.”

“Thank you, Spike, but I still shouldn’t have lost my patience with you. You’re still young and you’re still learning. I still shouldn’t have yelled at you, like I did that day. Even if I was so obsessed with Nightmare Moon’s legend, that’s no excuse.”

Sunset groaned at the sappy scene. ‘Why am I even here?’ she thought.

”Okay, okay!” the dragon said standing up and taking a deep breath holding the rolled parchment in front of his mouth. He blew a burst of green fire over the parchment, making the message burn away, leaving only a tendril of sparkling pink smoke that snaked out a high window.

”There! It’s on its way,” said Spike not looking too convinced of what his friend was saying. “But I wouldn’t hold your breath.”

”Oh, I’m not worried, Spike. The Princess trusts me completely,” Twilight said in a smug tone. “In all the years she’s been my mentor, she’s never once doubted me.”

“Maybe she does behind your back,” Sunset muttered darkly.

At that moment Spike’s cheeks bulged as if he was about to vomit; instead, he belched up a burst of green fire that formed into a sealed scroll.

”See, I knew she would want to take immediate action,” Twilight said with pride while Spike opened the scroll and cleared his throat.

My dearest, most faithful student Twilight... You know that I value your diligence, and that I trust you completely.” The unicorn hummed with a satisfied face. “But you simply must stop reading those dusty old books!” She gasped as that sentence hit her.

Above the Equestrian landscape, a pegasus-drawn, flying gold chariot carried Twilight and Spike over the clouds.

Twilight sighed. She remembered that day. That was the last day she and her brother Shining Armor had last spoke. She hoped he was doing well. Yes, they were writing to each other, but with his duty as captain of the royal guard, they were writing less and less.

“Wow,” Starlight began.

“Wow, what?” Twilight asked, broken from her thoughts.

“It’s just watching this, It’s almost like you’re a whole other pony.”

Rarity nodded. “Oh, I quite agree Darling. You really have come a long way Twilight.”

Twilight blushed. “Thanks, but it’s mostly thanks to you six, Spike too.”

My dear Twilight,” read Spike to a not enthused Twilight. “There is more to a young pony’s life than studying.” The two Pegasi pulling the vehicle were white stallions in gold livery and shoes. They had two-tone blue tails and matching crests on their helmets. “So I’m sending you to supervise the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration in this year’s location, Ponyville.” As Spike read the letter the clouds parted to reveal a pleasant-looking small town with wood-framed and thatched roof buildings bordered by a stream and mountain. On one side a fenced fruit orchard could be noticed. “And, I have an even more essential task for you to complete: make some friends!” Spike finished as Twilight hung her head over the side with a soft moan.

“Look on the bright side, Twilight. The Princess arranged for you to stay in a library. Doesn’t that make you happy?” Spike asked, trying to cheer his friend up.

“Yes, yes it does. You know why?” Twilight asked brightening suddenly. “Because I’m right! I’ll check on the preparations as fast as I can, then get to the library to find some proof of Nightmare Moon’s return,” she declared as they approached the town.

“Then... When will you make friends, like the Princess said?” asked the dragon as they made their final descent.

“She said to check on preparations.”

“Yeah, I think I’m with Spike on this Twi,” Rainbow Dash said. The rest of their friends nodded.

“I am her student, and I’ll do my royal duty, but the fate of Equestria does not rest on me making friends,.” The unicorn said confidently as the Pegasi touched the ground whinnying.

“Well that line definitely aged well,” Twilight muttered sarcastically.

“Thank you, sirs,” Twilight said to the stallions after climbing out of the chariot, making them smile and huff proudly in response, before turning to Spike, who was now also out.

“Maybe the ponies in Ponyville have interesting things to talk about,” Spike said as a bright pink earth pony with a fluffy, curly magenta mane and tail approached from the other end of the street. The mare, who had a cutie mark consisting of three balloons (two blue and one yellow), stopped in front of the pair and regarded them with happy, blue eyes. “Come on, Twilight, just try!” The unicorn looked uncertain before trying to greet the young mare.

“Uh... Hello?” The pink mare gave a prolonged gasp, then promptly galloped off. “Well that was interesting all right,” said Twilight unamused.

Pinkie Pie squeed. “Oh, oh, oh, I remember this! I’m so excited!”

Summer Sun Celebration official overseer’s checklist,” Spike read aloud. “Number one, banquet preparations: Sweet Apple Acres.”

”Heehaw!” shouted an orange earth pony with blonde hair that had both her mane and tail tied into ponytails. She also had a brown stetson hat on her head and was knocking apples down a tree by bucking it with her back legs.

“And that’s how you apple buck,” Applejack exclaimed proudly.

”Let’s get this over with,” said Twilight with a sigh as they made their way towards the orange pony. “Good afternoon. My name is Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight was soon caught off guard as the orange pony began to shake her hoof.

”Well, howdy-doo, Miss Twilight,” said the orange pony with a thick country accent. “A pleasure makin’ your acquaintance. I’m Applejack. We here at Sweet Apple Acres sure do like making new friends!”

”Friends?” Twilight replied anxiously. “Actually, I-“

“So, what can I do you for?” Applejack asked, not missing a beat or the nervousness in Twilight’s tone.

Rainbow turned to the farm pony. “Y’know A.J, you probably could’ve been a bit less intense?”

Applejack smirked. “Says the pegasus, who rammed straight into Twilight during one of your training sessions.”

Rainbow’s eyes widened. “Wait, how do you know that?”

Applejack glanced at Twilight, her smirk remaining.

Rainbow sighed. “Touché.”

Poor Twilight’s hoof was still shaking about, so Spike had to grab it to make it stop. Spike just snickered until Twilight glared at him and cleared her throat.

“Well, I am in fact here to supervise preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration. And you’re in charge of the food?” Twilight asked.

”We sure as sugar are!” said Applejack proudly. “Would you care to sample some?”

”As long as it doesn’t take too long,” Twilight added, before hearing a triangle start to ring.

”Soup’s on, everypony!” Applejack called out and then a loud thumping was heard. Twilight was whisked away by what felt like a huge mass of ponies and brought before a round table with a green checkered colored cloth. The unicorn and dragon felt rather frazzled until Applejack sat nearby. “Now why don’t I introduce y’all to the Apple Family?” Applejack proposed.

”Thanks, but I really need to hurry-“

”This here is Apple Fritter,” Applejack began, cutting off Twilight as one by one, each introduced family member brought an apple treat to the table.
”Apple Bumpkin
Red Gala
Red Delicious
Golden Delicious
Caramel Apple
Apple Strudel
Apple Tart
Baked Apples
Apple Brioche
Apple Cinnamon Crisp...” Applejack took a deep breath to regain some air. “...Big Macintosh, Apple Bloom, and Granny Smith. Up’n’attem, Granny Smith, we got guests.” An elderly pony soon woke from her slumber with a loud snort.

”Wha...? Soup’s on?” she retorted, “I’m up, ah’m comin’...”

Applejack smiled, she really enjoyed that Apple Family Reunion that day. Granny Smith had once again planned it, making it just as great as the last ones, and it was when Applejack met Twilight for the first time. She hoped Granny would let her plan the next one.

Applejack looked about the family as they surrounded Twilight and Spike. During the intros, Applejack had shoved a green apple into Twilight’s mouth. ”Why, I’d say they’re already part of the family!” said Applejack happily. Twilight spat out the chewed-up apple from her mouth and gave a nervous laugh.

”Okay, well,” she replied slowly, before adding, “I can see the food situation is handled. So we’ll be on our way...” She had turned to leave when a small yellow filly with a red mane and big pink bow, Apple Bloom, trotted up to the unicorn.

”Aren’t you gonna stay for brunch?” Apple Bloom asked quietly as the filly gave Twilight a puppy dog look.

”Sorry, but we have an awful lot to do...” Everyone gave a long disappointed sigh. “Fine,” Twilight conceded and the Apple family cheered. A couple hours later they finally left back to Ponyville proper.

”Food’s all taken care of,” said Spike. “Next is weather.”

”Ugh...” Twilight groaned, her belly slightly bulging. “I ate too much pie…”

Twilight blushed, looking at her onscreen bloated stomach. Rarity glanced at her violet friend. “Twilight darling, how fast were you eating?”

Twilight laughed sheepishly. “Well, truth be told, ever since I found that book at the Canterlot library that day, I didn’t exactly have time to eat anything, if I remember correctly.”

Spike laughed. “That’s so true. Actually, when she was a filly, she studied so long, that she didn’t eat for days, and me, still in diapers had to pull her out of her room, just so she could eat something.” Realizing that he just described himself as a toddler he blushed in embarrassment.

“Oh Twilight, I would love to see a photo of him as a toddler,” Fluttershy cooed. “I actually remember him telling me that story when we first met.”

Rarity nodded. “Oh yes, I would absolutely love to see baby Spiky-Wikey.” Spike blushed even harder as he looked at the mare he had a crush on. He wondered about that, if this time video would show that. He really hoped not, that’d be embarrassing.

”Hmm, there’s supposed to be a Pegasus pony named Rainbow Dash clearing the clouds,” Spike pointed out as a few clouds hung around the sky.

”Well, she’s not doing a very good job, is she?” Twilight pointed out flatly. Suddenly, a blue Pegasus pony with a rainbow mane and tail came crashing down on Twilight. The impact sent both her and the Pegasus into a giant patch of mud.

The cyan pony laughed sheepishly. ”Uh, ‘scuse me?” she replied with more sheepish laughter as she hovered over Twilight. The blue pony laughed again as she flew up into the sky and grabbed a nearby rain cloud. “Lemme help you,” she said, as she began to jump on it, leaving Twilight soaked. She laughed sheepishly once more. “Oops, I guess I overdid it,” she remarked from above the cloud. “Um, uh, how about this? My very own patented Rain-Blow Dry!” She created a large rainbow wind tunnel around the unicorn to dry her off, but it worked a little too well. While she was now dry, both her mane and tail now looked frizzy and poofy.

“Ugh, I thought I’d never see that mess again,” Rarity muttered.

”Don’t thank me,” the blue pony replied before looking at the violet mare. ”You’re quite welcome.” But after seeing Twilight’s hair, both she and Spike burst out laughing onto their backs.

Twilight glared at her. ”Let me guess. You’re Rainbow Dash.”

”The one and only,” she replied with cockiness as she got up, knocking Spike away. “Why, you heard of me?”

”I heard you were supposed to be keeping the sky clear,” Twilight remarked with a sigh. “I’m Twilight Sparkle and the Princess sent me to check on the weather.”

”Yeah, yeah, that’ll be a snap,” said Rainbow Dash, waving her off as she got comfortable on a cloud above them. “I’ll do it in a jiffy. Just as soon as I’m done practicing.”

”Practicing for what?” Twilight asked.

”The Wonderbolts,” said Rainbow Dash excitedly as she pointed towards a nearby poster. “They’re gonna perform at the Celebration tomorrow, and I’m gonna show ‘em my stuff!”

The...Wonderbolts?” Twilight asked with a smirk.

”Yep!” Rainbow Dash replied.

”The most talented flyers in all of Equestria?” Twilight added.

”That’s them!”

Twilight scoffed. “Pfft! Please! They’d never accept a Pegasus who can’t even keep the sky clear for one measly day!”

”Hey, I could clear this sky in ten seconds flat!” Rainbow shot back.

”Prove it!” Twilight challenged. Rainbow then zoomed high into the sky, taking care of the remaining clouds in rapid session. Twilight was agape as Rainbow returned with a whoosh.

“Honestly, Rainbow, I think these Wonderbolts would love to have you,” Starlight said with a smile. Even though she wasn’t familiar with the flight team, they seemed to make Rainbow happy.

Rainbow gave an even wider smile, as her eyes shined with excitement. “You really think so?” Starlight nodded although Rainbow couldn’t see it, Starlight felt a little unsure.

”Loop-de-loop around, and wham!” said Rainbow Dash as she finished up. “What’d I say? Ten. Seconds. Flat. I’d never leave Ponyville hanging.” Twilight and Spike just stared with their jaws dropped. ”You should see the look on your face.” She laughed as flew around them. “Ha! You’re a laugh, Twilight Sparkle. I can’t wait to hang out some more.” Rainbow Dash zoomed away.

“She really is a laugh Dashie. Actually, I like your new look, Twilight,” Pinkie Pie commented.

“Oh please Miss Pie, that goofy mane and tail is absolutely horrendous. Why, it completely clashes with Twilight's physiche!” Rarity critiqued.

“I actually agree with Pinkie, the poofy look is interesting,” Starlight replied honestly.

”Wow, she’s amazing!” said Spike still in awe as Rainbow flew away.

“Thank‘s Spike. That’s why they call me Rainbow ‘Danger’ Dash!”

Starlight narrowed her eyes. “I‘ve never heard anypony call you that.” Rainbow Dash just ignored her.

Spike turned his attention to Twilight and started playing with Twilight’s still poofy mane, chuckling a little. Twilight groaned when she realized her mane was still a mess. “Wait!” Spike called out as he went after her. “It’s kinda pretty once you get used to it!”

“See, Spike agrees!” Pinkie said. “What do you think Twilight?”

Twilight put a hoof to her chin in thought. “I suppose I could get used to it, but I like my old mane style better,” she said as she touched the hair in question. “It just feels like me.”

Twilight said nothing as they headed into a large building with a round dome. It was supposed to be where the main ceremony would take place. “Decorations. Beautiful...” said Spike in awe.

“Why thank you Spike, as I believe this was the first Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville I wanted to make it the absolute best,” Rarity said with a gleam in her eye.

Spike cringed, any second now Rarity was going to figure out he had a crush on her.

”Yes, the decor is coming along nicely,” Twilight put in. “This ought’a be quick. I’ll be at the library in no time. Beautiful indeed.”

“Thank you Twilight,” Rarity said with a smile.

”Not the decor,” said Spike, clearly the little dragon was dazed.

“Wait, Spike, if you’re not complimenting the decor, then what-“ Rarity said before she was cut off by what onscreen Spike was going to say next.

”Her!” Twilight looked ahead and there before them was a white-colored unicorn with a beautifully curled dark purple mane and tail. She was deep in thought as she shuffled through some ribbons with her magic.

”No, no, no, oh!” she exclaimed, “Goodness no,” the unicorn said critically to the ribbons she was holding.

”How are my spines?” Spike asked worriedly, as he was lovestruck with the beautiful unicorn. “Are they straight?”

Rarity sat there with a shocked expression on her face, as Spike ran over to where she was sitting and looked at her in fear, and his face was deep red in embarrassment. “Please Rarity don’t be mad. Ever since I saw you I’ve had a crush on you, but please don’t be mad.” Spike was shivering now, both from the fact that his secret was out and by what Rarity would say. Rarity stayed quiet for a few moments as everypony looked at her in anticipation.

Rarity turned her attention to Twilight. “I-is this true?”

Twilight nodded. “Yes, he’s had a crush on you since we first moved to Ponyville.”

Rarity collected herself and then turned to Spike who was holding his face in his claws in embarrassment. “Spike, darling, do you think we could talk in private?” Spike nodded as they both walked off. As they walked away from the others, the walls shimmered and they ended up in a hallway, with the same walls on either side, with a long red carpet. Rarity grinned. “Ohh! This carpet looks absolutely divine, I would have to ask the voice who brought us here if I could borrow this for a design!” Rarity said in excitement.

“S-so what do you want to tell me?” Spike asked, the tension he felt was unbearable.

“Oh, I’m sorry Spikey-Wikey I got distracted. So what was I going to say again… Oh yes! Listen Spike I’m super flattered, and It’s not because you’re a dragon but... I’m too old for you. I mean, you know that, right?”

Spike nodded. “I know…”

Rarity went up to him and put her forehooves around him in an embrace. “Spike I’m always going to love you, just like how I love the rest of our friends.” Spike nodded, as Rarity let go. “Can I tell you something? Well… ever since I was your age I had a massive crush on Princess Celestia’s nephew. You remember right?”

Spike nodded. “Yeah, you did. Wasn’t he awful to you though at the Gala?”

“Yes, and that’s my point, I spent my whole fillyhood and marehood fawning over a stallion I didn’t even know, only to be heartbroken by how much of a pompous brat he was. But I don’t want the same for you Spike. You’re too young for romance. Live your life, continue to learn, and you’ll be fine.”

“So things aren’t going to be awkward between us?” he asked, his voice on edge.

“Of course not my dear Spike. You’re my friend, and I’ll always care for you, even if it isn’t romantic. Do you think you’re ready to go back?” Spike nodded, feeling his heart more lighter than before. As they walked back, the wall of the hallway shimmered back into a movie theater.

Everypony stared at them, especially Twilight, whose eyes were narrowed. “You didn’t break his heart, did you?”

“Rest assured, he’s quite alright Twilight.” And with that, Rarity and Spike walked back to their seats as the time video began to continue.

Twilight just rolled her eyes, and smiled a little at Spike’s fascination by the white unicorn. Twilight stepped forward to say hello. ”Good afternoon-” Twilight tried to address the other unicorn, but she seemed to be more focused on the critique of her decorations.

”Just a moment, please!” the unicorn replied as she continued working on the decorations. ”I’m in the zone, as it were. Oh yes! Sparkle always does the trick, does it not? Why, Rarity, you are a talent. Now, um, how can I help yo-AAAH! Oh my stars, darling! Whatever happened to your coiffure?!”

Twilight looked puzzled until she realized what the other mare meant. ”Oh, you mean my mane?” Twilight clarified. “Well, it’s a long story. I’m just here to check on the decorations, and then I’ll be out of your hair!”

”Out of my hair?” Rarity exclaimed. “What about your hair?” Rarity then began pushing Twilight out of the building from behind.

”Wait! Where are we going?! Help!” Twilight called out. Spike was too mesmerized to be of any help. The screen changed to Carousel Boutique as Rarity tried outfits on her.

”No, no, uh-huh,” Rarity said to herself, “Too green. Too yellow. Too poofy. Not poofy enough. Too frilly. Too…shiny…” It was just then Twilight was put into some sort of cyan-colored dress that had a large emerald on the front. “Now go on, my dear,” she continued. “You were telling me where you’re from.”

“Honestly I really had no idea where my mind was to use emeralds…” Rarity muttered.

Rarity began to tie the back straps by roughly pulling them against Twilight’s chest. “I’ve... Been sent...” Twilight strained since the dress was a little tight on her from the white mare’s tugging, “...from Canterlot…to-“

”Huh?” Rarity exclaimed as she let go of the straps and Twilight tumbled forward. “Canterlot!? Oh, I am so envious! The glamour, the sophistication! I have always dreamed of living there! I can’t wait to hear all about it! We are gonna be the best of friends, you and I...” Rarity held her close, making Twilight uncomfortable when she noticed the broach on the dress, “Emeralds?! What was I thinking? Let me get you some rubies!” Rarity dashed away. Twilight used this as a distraction, and used a nearby screen to remove the dress, and made her escape.

”Quick! Before she decides to dye my coat a new color!” Twilight called out. The screen transitioned to Spike riding on Twilight’s back.

”Wasn’t she wonderful?” Spike asked out of the blue, clearly the purple dragon was still love-struck.

”Focus Casanova,” Twilight said sarcastically. “What’s next on the list?” Spike quickly recomposed himself and checked the list.

”Oh, uh, music!” he answered, “It’s the last one!” It was then they heard a multitude of birds singing as they were all gathered into a large tree nearby. They were being conducted by a yellow Pegasus mare with a soft pink mane and tail. Something then caught her attention.

”Oh my,” she said in a very soft tone, her attention on a blue jay. “Um, stop please, everyone, umm. Excuse me, sir? I mean no offense, but your rhythm is just a teeny-tiny bit off. Now, follow me, please. A-one, a-two, a-one-two-three-“

”Hello!” Twilight called out with the worst timing possible. All the birds were startled and flew away. Even the yellow Pegasus gave a frightened yelp as well. Twilight soon realized her mistake.

”Oh my, I’m so sorry,” Twilight apologized, “I didn’t mean to frighten your birds. I’m just here to check up on the music and it’s sounding beautiful.” The yellow Pegasus said nothing and looked away shyly.

”I’m Twilight Sparkle,” she introduced. Still, nothing was said but the yellow Pegasus seemed to become even more shy.

”What’s your name?” Twilight asked, trying to be friendly.

“Um…I’m...” the Pegasus replied in a barely audible voice.

”I’m sorry, what was that?” Twilight asked, unable to hear it.

”Um...My name is…” she replied again, but she was even softer.

”Didn’t quite catch that,” Twilight added, feeling more awkward, as the mare’s birds returned. “Well, um, it looks like your birds are back,” Twilight remarked. ”So I guess everything’s in order. Keep up the good work.” The yellow mare only squeaked in reply. “Oookay...” Twilight replied uneasily as she turned to Spike. “Well, that was easy.” However, as soon as Spike appeared, the mare instantly turned around with an excited look on her face.

”A baby dragon!” The mare exclaimed in a tone that, while still soft, was now clearly audible, as she knocked Twilight out of the way. “Oh, I’ve never seen a baby dragon before. He’s sooo cute!”

”Well, well, well...!” Spike replied with a smug smile as Twilight had a dazed look on her face at being pushed.

”Oh my, he talks!” The yellow Pegasus exclaimed. “I didn’t know dragons could talk. That’s just so incredibly wonderful, I, I just don’t even know what to say!” That was when Twilight used her magic to scoop up Spike onto her back and started walking.

”Well, in that case, we’d better be going,” said Twilight and started walking back to town to find the library.

”Wait, wait! What’s his name?” she asked.

”I’m Spike,” he replied.

”Hi Spike, I’m Fluttershy,” she replied. “Wow, a talking dragon! And what do dragons talk about?”

”Well, what do you wanna know?” he asked.

”Absolutely everything,” Fluttershy replied. This reply caused Twilight to groan as they continued their way towards the library.

“Well...I started out as a cute little purple and polka doted egg...” Spike began. A little later the sun was about to set and the two were still in conversation, making Twilight’s mood even more sour. “...And that’s the story of my whole entire life!” Spike concluded as they arrived in front of a grand oak tree that marked the town’s library.

Starlight’s eyes widened. So that was the library Twilight had told her so much about. She smiled. The tree house library looked quite beautiful. No wonder her friend had such fond memories of it after it got destroyed.

“Do you wanna hear about today?”

Starlight blinked. “You told her your whole life in just five hours?” Spike simply nodded.

”Oh, yes, please!” Fluttershy replied happily, but then Spike was startled when Twilight did a fast one-eighty.

”I’m so sorry, how did we get here so fast?” Twilight said plainly. “This is where I’m staying while in Ponyville and my poor baby dragon needs his sleep.”

”No I don’t...whoa!” Spike was taken aback again as Twilight sent him flying off her back and onto the ground.

”Aww, wook at dat,” Twilight said in baby talk. “He’s so sweepy, he can’t even keep his widdle bawance!” Spike glared, but Fluttershy believed it and scooped the young drake in her forearms.

”Poor thing, you simply must get into bed...” Fluttershy opened the door to tuck him in but Twilight interrupted her and shoved Fluttershy out.

”Yes, yes,” Twilight replied quickly. “We’ll get right on that. Well, g-night!” Twilight said before slamming the door in Fluttershy’s face.

Twilight cringed, as she looked at the yellow mare. “Sorry for being rude.”

Fluttershy smiled. “I’ts ok.”

”Huh. Rude much?” Spike pointed out with a death glare, although it was concealed by the darkness of the room.

”Sorry Spike, but I have to convince the Princess that Nightmare Moon is coming, and we’re running out of time!” Twilight replied. “I just need to be alone so I can study without a bunch of crazy ponies trying to make friends all the time. Now, where’s the light?” Twilight instantly regretted those words when the lights turned on and they found themselves surrounded by numerous ponies. The place had also been decorated. They all jumped as a party horn went off.

”SURPRISE!” the ponies all shouted and someone blew a kazoo. Twilight groaned in annoyance.

Surprise!” shouted the pink pony that had seen take off earlier that day. “Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie, and I threw this party just for you! Were you surprised? Were ya? Were ya! Huh-huh-huh?”

”Very surprised,” said Twilight. “Libraries are supposed to be quiet.”

”Well that’s silly!” Pinkie Pie answered. “What kind of welcome party would this be if it were quiet? I mean, duh, bo-ring! Y’see, I saw you when you first got here, remember? You were all “hello” and I was all”, she stopped for a moment, sucking a deep breath, “remember? Y’see I’ve never saw you before and if I’ve never saw you before that meant that you’re new, ‘cause I know everypony, and I mean everypony in Ponyville!” Twilight groaned again and headed towards a table that had some cups and sodas on it for a drink.

”And if you’re new. That meant you haven’t met anyone yet, and if you haven’t met anyone yet, you must not have any friends, and if you don’t have any friends then you must be lonely, and that made me so sad, then I had an idea, and that’s why I went,” she stopped doing the deep gasp again. “I must throw you a great big ginormous super-duper spectacular welcome party and invite everyone in Ponyville! See? And now you have lots and lots of friends!” Twilight seemed to have tuned the pink mare out and was sipping her drink when suddenly she lifted her head and turned around, her cheeks were puffed out as her face went deep red.

”Are you all right, sugarcube?” Applejack asked. Twilight said nothing and flame erupted out of both her mane, tail and her mouth before she rushed upstairs.

”Aww, she’s so happy, she’s crying!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed. Spike examined the soda bottle Twilight had drank from.

”Hot sauce,” Spike read on the label from the bottle Twilight drank from. Just then Pinkie Pie dumped a large dollop of it on top of a cupcake and gobbled it up.

”Ooh...” Pinkie Pie remarked as she ate it. “What? It’s good!”

Starlight narrowed her eyes. “Are you sure?”

Pinkie Pie smiled. “Hey, try it before you deny it!”

It was well into the night when Spike finally decided to see Twilight. Twilight just groaned from all the noise and music downstairs as she buried her head underneath a large pillow as she sat on her bed.

”Hey Twilight!” Spike called out, wearing a nightshade on his head, “Pinkie Pie’s starting “Pin the Tail on the Pony”! Wanna Play?”

”NO!” Twilight barked. “All the ponies in this town are crazy! Do you know what time it is?!”

”It’s the eve of the Summer Sun Celebration,” Spike answered. “Everypony has to stay up, or they’ll miss the Princess raise the sun! You should lighten up, Twilight. It’s a party!”

Twilight began to mockingly imitate Spike after she heard him walk away. Twilight just continued to stare at the ceiling hugging her pillow close. “Ugh, here I thought I’d have time to learn about the Elements of Harmony but, silly me, all this ridiculous friend-making has kept me from it!”

Twilight then turned on her side of the bed and found herself looking out the window at the nighttime sky as she remembered Nightmare Moon’s prophecy from earlier. Twilight walked up to the bedroom mirror and glanced at the moon. ”’Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring about everlasting night.’ I hope the Princess was right...I hope it really is just an old pony tale...” Twilight said worried, as fear gripped her.

Everypony in the time theater shuddered in fear at what the unicorn said. Even though in their timeline, Nightmare Moon was defeated, none of them could admit that Nightmare Moon still terrified them. Quite possibly the worst villain Equestria had ever seen, and if Twilight and her friends hadn’t succeeded, Equestria would’ve suffered from the night eternal. Sunset and Starlight also felt afraid.

It wasn’t much longer before Spike came back. ”C’mon, Twilight, it’s time to watch the sunrise!” Spike called out.

The scene then transitioned to a building. The building itself wasn’t particularly large, yet it fit everyone who wanted to see the sunrise with room to spare. Twilight was still worried as she stood in the crowd with Spike on her back. That was when Pinkie Pie stood nearby. ”Isn’t this exciting?” she asked out of the blue. “Are you excited, ‘cause I’m excited, I’ve never been so excited-well, except for the time that I saw you walking into town and I went,” she did the deep gasp again. “But I mean really, who can top that?”

Flttershy’s birds did a fanfare as a cream-colored mare with a whitish mane and tail who wore half-moon spectacles on her nose suddenly appeared. “Fillies and gentlecolts, as Mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!”

“I know her name is Mayer Mare, but isn’t her real name Ivory Scrolls?” Fluttershy asked.

“I believe so darling, but I’ve never asked,” Rarity replied.

”In just a few moments,” the mayor announced proudly, “our town will witness the magic of the sunrise, and celebrate this, the longest day of the year! And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria…”

”Ready?” Fluttershy asked her birds, who nodded in preparation.

”...Princess Celestia!” Ivory Scroll announced as a spotlight appeared where the princess was supposed to appear and Rarity opened the curtains. But she wasn’t there.

”Huh?” Rarity said in shock. The rest of the ponies chattered quietly and nervously in the background.

”This can’t be good,” said Twilight.

”Remain calm, everypony, there must be a reasonable explanation!” Ivory Scrolls replied, trying to settle everypony down.

”Ooh, ooh, I love guessing games!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed. “Is she hiding?”

”She’s gone!” Rarity cried out and everyone gasped in terror.

”Ooh, she’s good!” Pinkie Pie remarked, but soon she yelped and everyone gasped once more as a dark clouded mist entered the hall. Everyone watched in fear as an indigo mist slowly morphed into the shape of a large black Alicorn.

”Oh no...” said Twilight quietly in panic. ”Nightmare Moon!” Twilight said, horrified. Spike was in so much shock he fainted, falling off his seat on Twilight’s back. Nightmare Moon laughed menacingly at the ponies around her.

Sunset’s eyes widened. She had heard the stories of the Mare in the Moon. She’d even seen artwork of what the evil Alicorn may have looked like. She even saw it today at the beginning of the video! But never before in her life would she have seen it with her own two eyes.

Twilight and her friends narrowed their eyes as the scene continued.

”Oh, my beloved subjects,” she said in a bold deep voice. “It’s been so long since I’ve seen your precious little sun-loving faces.” All the ponies looked at her in fear, just the way she liked it.

”What did you do with our princess?!” Rainbow Dash demanded angrily and tried to approach.

Starlight turned her attention to her former mentor. “What did happen to her? Celestia I mean?”

“Well, after Pinkie Pie’s celebration party for Princess Luna’s return to us, Princess Celestia told me that Nightmare Moon had surprised her and banished her to the sun. Princess Celestia didn’t even have time to react.”

“But I’m confused,” Applejack said. “How was the Princess freed after Nightmare Moon was defeated?” Twilight thought about it for a while. But then a lightbulb flicked in her brain.

“Do you all remember after Princess Luna was healed, there were blue papery shreds around her?” Twilight asked.

Her friends scrunched up in confusion before Pinkie’s face lit up. “Oh yeah, I remember!”

“Well, since we destroyed her power, I believe that Nightmare Moon‘s banishment spell was weakened thus returning the Princess to us,” Twilight explained.

”Whoa there, Nelly...” said Applejack, her voice muffled as she held Rainbow Dash back by the tail. Nightmare Moon just chuckled.

”Why, am I not royal enough for you?” she asked angrily. “Don’t you know who I am?” The dreadful silence and the terrified look on everyone’s faces showed that they didn’t.

”Ooh, ooh, more guessing games!” Pinkie remarked excitedly. “Um, Hokey Smokes! How about...Queen Meanie! No! Black Snooty, Black Snooty...” Pinkie Pie was soon shushed as an apple cupcake was shoved down her throat by Applejack. Nightmare Moon was furious.

“You know you two,” Starlight began. “Maybe the best thing wouldn’t be to antagonize her. Y’know just a thought.” Pinkie and Rainbow blushed.

”Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years?” she demanded as she glared at Fluttershy and then turned to Rarity. “Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?”

”I did,” said Twilight confidently, stepping forward. “And I know who you are, you’re the Mare on the Moon - Nightmare Moon!” All the other ponies gasped.

”Well, well, well,” said Nightmare Moon. “Somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I’m here.”

”You’re here to...to...” Twilight gulped. She knew exactly why she was here. But the words died in her mouth. She couldn’t finish it. Nightmare Moon just chuckled in triumph.

”Remember this day, little ponies,” Nightmare Moon declared. “For it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!” She laughed as she saw the pathetic pony's reaction to her decree. Thunder clashed alongside her. Everyone, including Twilight, just watched her in pure horror. Nightmare Moon continued her insane laughter.

It was true. All of it. Nightmare Moon was real. Sunset Shimmer didn’t want to appear weak, but the sight of the infamous Mare in the Moon still made her feel afraid. Spike narrowed his eyes at the screen, not about to faint again.

”Seize her!” Ivory Scroll shouted. “Only she knows where the Princess is!” Three Pegasi royal guards flew up to try and prevent Nightmare Moon from escaping, unfortunately for them, she anticipated it.

”Stand back, you foals!” She laughed as she brought down three perfectly placed thunderbolts from her mane that set them flying. Then, with the guards defeated, Nightmare Moon turned into a dark indigo cloud and slipped out of the building and into the night.

Applejack groaned as she tried to hold Rainbow back, but the blue pegasus had finally broken free, sending Applejack to her flank. Rainbow tried to pursue Nightmare Moon, but the villain was far too fast for her. “Come back here!” Rainbow panted. “Nighttime? Forever?” It was just then that Twilight dashed out of the building as fast as her hooves could carry her, with a delirious Spike still on her back. “Where’s she going?”

Meanwhile, Twilight had just arrived back at the library and immediately put Spike to bed. “Uh...we gotta stop Nightmare!...” Spike said before he conked out again and was fast asleep. Twilight just smiled as she tucked Spike into his basket for the night.

”You’ve been up all night Spike,” she said in a caring tone as he continued to sleep. “You are a baby dragon after all.”

Spike blushed. Even though he did appreciate it when Twilight acted motherly, he still loved her more as an older nurturing sister than a mom.

Once the light upstairs was off. She quickly started to search the library, tossing books around. “Elements, Elements, Elements...” Twilight said frantically. “Ugh! How can I stop Nightmare Moon without the Elements of Harmony?”

”And just what are the Elements of Harmony?” Rainbow demanded, pushing her face right into Twilight’s and causing the unicorn to back up nervously. “And how did you know about Nightmare Moon, huh? Are you a spy? Whoa!” Applejack appeared and tugged the cyan Pegasus away by the tail. She let go of Rainbow’s tail and began to speak.

”Simmer down, Sally,” she remarked. “She ain’t no spy. But she sure knows what’s going on. Don’t you, Twilight?” Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity had arrived close behind and had the same train of thought on their faces. Twilight closed her eyes as she relayed everything she knew.

”I read all about the prediction of Nightmare Moon,” Twilight explained. “Some mysterious objects called the Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop her.” Twilight opened her eyes as she looked out an open window. “But I don’t know what they are, where to find them; I don’t even know what they do!”

Even though Sunset hated the violet unicorn, she did bring up a good point. What do the Elements do?

Pinkie trotted over to a nearby shelf. “The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide,” she read aloud from the spine as Twilight zipped over and pushed her out of the way.

”How did you find that?!” she asked in astonishment.

”It was under “E”!” Pinkie said in a sing-song voice, as she bounced behind her.

“How did you miss such an obvious thing?” Sunset asked haughtily.

“I mean, we were under a lot of stress,” said Twilight, as her friends nodded. Starlight looked over at Sunset. After the video was over, she would need to confront her. Her gut was telling her not to trust the red-gold-haired unicorn, and usually, her gut was right. Yes, not all the time, but still.

”Oh,” Twilight said stupidly. She recomposed herself before levitating the book from the shelf with her magic and began to read it. “There are six Elements of Harmony, but only five are known: Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty, and Loyalty. The sixth is a complete mystery. It is said, the last known location of the five elements was in the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters.” It was during this time that a mysterious indigo cloud appeared and was watching the six ponies outside a window before zipping away.

“Woah, woah, woah, time out, you mean to tell me that Nightmare Moon was spying on us?!” Rainbow said incredulously.

“She was a spyertern mixspy,” added Pinkie.

Twilight put a hoof to her chin in thought. Now that she realized it, why had she never questioned how Nightmare Moon was able to put so many dangers in their way if Nightmare Moon hadn’t been made aware of their mission to find the elements? Twilight began to speak. “I mean, it makes sense, all of those horrible challenges she threw at us, she’d have to have spied on us.”

”It is located in what is now-“ The scene transitioned to all of them standing in front of a spooky forest.

“The Everfree Forest!” they all said together with dread.

”Whee! Let’s go!” Pinkie Pie said eagerly and bounced forward.

”Not so fast,” Twilight said, stopping the pink mare. “Look, I appreciate the offer, but I’d really rather do this on my own.”

”No can do, sugarcube,” said Applejack firmly. “We sure ain’t lettin’ any friend of ours go into that creepy place alone. We’re sticking to you like caramel on a candy apple.” The rest of the girls gave an agreed “hmph” as they ventured forward minus Pinkie Pie and Twilight.

Twilight smiled. She was so happy that Applejack had said that. Now that she realized what the elements could do, she doubted if she could’ve survived at all if she had gone into the forest alone. Falling off the cliff, the manticore, the broken bridge, and even the turbulent river the sorrowful serpent was making also could have harmed her if she wasn’t careful. If her friends weren’t there with her, she surely would have died.

”Especially if there’s candy apples in there,” said Pinkie Pie, earning a look by Twilight. “What? Those things are good.” Twilight just sighed as she followed her inside.

”So, none of you have been in here before?” Twilight asked.

”Ugh, heavens no!” Rarity answered. “Just look at it - it’s dreadful!” Although none of them noticed, a dark mist appeared and crept into the cracks of the ground beneath them.

“Wow,” Starlight said. “Nightmare Moon was really adamant to stop you girls.”

“It was really scary,” Fluttershy remarked, then added. “I’m just glad nopony was hurt.”

”And it ain’t natural,” Applejack added. “Folks say it don’t work the same as Equestria.”

”What’s that supposed to mean?” Twilight asked, her voice laced with worry.

”Nopony knows,” said Rainbow, lowering her voice to make it sound like she was telling a ghost story. “You know why?” Pinkie, Rarity, and Fluttershy began to shiver nervously.

”Rainbow, quit it,” Applejack scolded, knowing exactly what the cyan Pegasus was trying to do.

”’cause everypony who’s ever come in, has, never, come… out!” Just as she said those words, there was a loud crash and the ground beneath them gave way and everyone screamed. Only Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were able to avoid sliding down the steep slope.

”Oh my goodness, oh my goodness,” Fluttershy panicked before joining Rainbow. Both Twilight and Rarity screamed as they tried to slow their fall down the slope, which led towards a large drop.

Twilight gulped as she remembered how she felt, or how many other close calls they all had other than this moment. Nightmare Moon was truly evil, she was so glad they were able to heal Luna.

Applejack managed to use her teeth to stop her sliding. Rainbow scooped up Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy grabbed Rarity’s tail to slow her down. Twilight was losing ground fast and was soon dangling over the edge of the cliff. Twilight cried out as she found her grip slipping.

”Hold on! I’m a-comin’!” Applejack let go of her branch and gently made her way towards Twilight and grabbed her front legs to keep her from falling.

”Applejack, what do I do?” Twilight asked as she held on tight to the orange mare’s hooves.

Applejack looked up and saw something and then looked back down at Twilight. ”Let go.”

Sunset did a double take upon hearing that. Why in the wide, wide world of Equestria would she do that?

”Are you crazy?” Twilight retorted.

”No I ain’t,” Applejack said assuredly. “I promise you’ll be safe.”

”That’s not true!”

”Now listen here,” Applejack said firmly. “What I’m sayin’ to you is the honest truth. Let go, and you’ll be safe.” Twilight hesitated before she did let go.

”YAAAAAAAAAAH!” Twilight screamed before she was caught by both Rainbow and Fluttershy.

”Phew! WAH!” Suddenly they dropped her all of a sudden but soon stabilized their flight again and slowly brought Twilight to the floor. Rarity and Pinkie Pie were there as well.

”Sorry girls,” Fluttershy replied apologetically. “I’m not used to holding anything more than a bunny or two.”

Twilight watched Applejack hop her way down the cliff and smiled, grateful that she had trusted the farm pony.

Sunset gave a relieved sigh, although she wasn’t exactly sure why.

It was then the purple mist swooped about the forest and caused a creature to roar.

How could those fools possibly survive a manticore?’ Sunset thought.

Starlight mirrored the orange unicorn’s thoughts. “How did you survive a manticore? Aren’t those things like impossible to beat?”

Twilight grinned and glanced at Fluttershy. “Oh, you’ll see.”

As they ventured forward, Rainbow just couldn’t stop bragging. “And once Pinkie and Rarity were saved, whoosh...me and Fluttershy loop-de-loop around and WHAM! Caught you right in the nick of time.” Twilight glanced at the rainbow-haired pegasus with an annoyed look.

“Yes Rainbow, I was there,” Twilight replied simply before smiling. “And I’m very grateful, but we gotta-“ Before she could finish, a creature that was a hybrid between a lion and a scorpion appeared before them.

”A manticore!” Twilight cried out as it roared at them. “We’ve gotta get past him!” The creature tried to attack, but Rarity gave him a good buck in the face to make him jump back.

”Take that, you ruffian!” she called out confidently. The manticore gave a loud growl, messing up Rarity’s mane and making it become a poofy mess. “My hair!” Rarity cried before noticing the manticore glaring at her, and she quickly galloped away.

”Wait,” said Fluttershy quietly.

Twilight grinned. “I’m glad we finally listened to you Fluttershy.”

The manticore roared again as Applejack landed on top of it. “YEE-HAW! Git along, little dogie,” she called out trying to ride the manticore like a wild bull.

”Wait,” Fluttershy repeated, more firmly, but her voice was still too soft. Applejack was tossed off.

”Whoa!” she called out and saw Rainbow Dash above her as she was still in the air. “All yours, partner.”

”I’m on it,” said Rainbow as she tried to dive at the manticore.

”Wait!” Fluttershy called out a little louder. Rainbow was already at the offense and couldn’t hear her. Rainbow attempted to make a rainbow tornado around the creature to try and make it dizzy. But she didn’t notice the creature’s scorpion tail which hit her, sending her flying to the floor.

”Rainbow!” Twilight yelled as the manticore grunted at them. The rest of the ponies minus Fluttershy began to dig their hooves into the dirt. Twilight snorted with determination before the five girls began to charge. Well, four charged and Pinkie bounced toward it. The manticore prepared its charge. They were within attacking range when Fluttershy ran in between them.

”WAIT!” Fluttershy called out bringing every creature to a stop as they looked at her in confusion. Fluttershy approached the manticore. The manticore raised his paw, ready to attack. The others flinched nervously. “It’s okay,” Fluttershy said kindly as she pulled the other front paw, revealing that he had a very thick thorn in his paw.

”Oh, you poor, poor little baby.”

Sunset’s jaw dropped. How could the idiot possibly know about the thorn?

”Little?” Rainbow replied stunned as the others watched with interest, the manticore gave a rather sad look at the yellow pegasus.

”Now this might hurt just a second,” she told him gently and quickly used her mouth to pull the thorn out. The manticore roared and scooped Fluttershy towards his mouth.

”Fluttershy!” everypony cried, hoping Fluttershy would still be alive. But it turned out that the manticore was not going to eat her. He was just licking her, clearly grateful for her removing the thorn from his paw, and began to purr. Everyone smiled.

”Aw, you’re just a little ol’ baby kitty, aren’t you?” Fluttershy cooed as he continued to lick her mane and then sat her down and went on his way. Everyone gave her a cheer. Twilight was the most impressed.

”How did you know about the thorn?” she asked.

Exactly! Even though Sunset hated to admit it, the violet unicorn was right.

”I didn’t,” said Fluttershy as she walked by, her pink mane still sticking upward from the licking. “Sometimes we all just need to be shown a little kindness.” Twilight smiled as she mulled that over in her head.

Kindness? That was the answer? For some reason, Sunset’s heart felt… warm. A feeling she hadn’t felt in a while, and suddenly she remembered how somepony had shown her kindness even though she didn’t appreciate it.

Although no pony noticed, the thorn transformed into a cloud of indigo and flew away.

Nopony in the time theater reacted to that, it wasn’t really surprising. They knew Nightmare Moon was following their past selves.

”No, my eyes need a rest from all this icky muck,” said Rarity, and then all their vision went black. “Well, I didn’t mean that literally,” Rarity added.

”That ancient ruin could be right in front of our faces and we wouldn’t even know it,” Twilight pointed out.

Rarity bumped into Twilight. “I didn’t see you there, my apologies,” she remarked.

”Right here...guh...” Rainbow remarked but bumped into somepony else.

”Oh wait, I think I stepped in somethin’,” Applejack said. Fluttershy screamed.

”It’s just mud,” Applejack reassured. Applejack then glanced at what Fluttershy was looking at and gasped. The trees seemed to have open mouths in silent growls, but to the ponies, it sounded like real growls. Then there was an ominous growl from another one of the trees. Even worse the branches looked like claws trying to reach at them. Then another, then another, and soon they were all surrounded. They all screamed. The trees growled again and they screamed once more...except for Pinkie. Who was…laughing?!

Sunset was confused, if it were her she’d be running away as fast as possible. But why would Pinkie be laughing? It’s not like it’d do anything, would it?

”Huh?” Everyone said in surprise. Pinkie was too busy just laughing and making goofy faces at the scary tree.

”Pinkie, what are you doing?!” Twilight asked fearfully. “Run!”

”Oh girls, don’t you see?” said Pinkie Pie. And then she...started to sing.

The real Pinkie Pie looked like she was ready to burst into excitement. “Oh, oh, I remember this! Oh, this is so cool!” Then proceeded to sing right alongside her onscreen self.

When I was a little filly and the sun was going down…

When I was a little filly and the sun was going down…

”Tell me she’s not...” Twilight said before Pinkie popped up from above them and then again upside down.

The darkness and the shadows, they would always make me frown…

“The darkness and the shadows, they would always make me frown…”

”She is,” Rarity replied. Pinkie continued to sing as she bounced around the group.

I’d hide under my pillow
From what I thought I saw
But Granny Pie said that wasn’t the way
To deal with fears as all.

I’d hide under my pillow
From what I thought I saw
But Granny Pie said that wasn’t the way
To deal with fears as all.

”Then what is?” Rainbow asked as Pinkie got into her face.

”She said, “Pinkie, you gotta stand up tall
Learn to face your fears
You’ll see that they can’t hurt you
Just laugh and make them disappear. Ha! Ha! Ha!”

Although she couldn’t explain it, that warm feeling in Sunset’s heart grew, as a sincere smile graced her lips. The first honest smile she had worn since they were all brought to this place.

“She said, “Pinkie, you gotta stand up tall
Learn to face your fears
You’ll see that they can’t hurt you
Just laugh and make them disappear. Ha! Ha! Ha!”

As if by magic, the once scary trees turned into normal trees with no faces on them. Even the darkness around it had dissipated. The ponies gasped.

Sunset and Starlight gasped as well.

Pinkie continued her song as the others laughed the scary trees away.
So, giggle at the ghostly
Guffaw at the grossly
Crack up at the creepy
Chortle at the kooky
Snortle at the spooky
And tell that big dumb scary face to take a hike and leave you alone and if he thinks he can scare you then he’s got another thing coming and the very idea of such a thing just makes you wanna...hahahaha...heh...
Laugh!”

“So giggle at the ghostly
Guffaw at the grossly
Crack up at the creepy
Chortle at the kooky
Snortle at the spooky
And tell that big dumb scary face to take a hike and leave you alone and if he thinks he can scare you then he’s got another thing coming and the very idea of such a thing just makes you wanna...hahahaha...heh...
Laugh!”

Soon all the scary trees had disappeared, as if the positive energy from the ponies chased away the demonic power. The ponies fell on their backs, laughing themselves silly. Twilight took a moment to breathe as she glanced at a still giggling Pinkie and silently thanked her for singing that laughter song.

The future main 6, Spike, Starlight, and Sunset couldn’t help but laugh as well.

They continued to laugh and hop happily until Pinkie came to a sudden stop and they all collided with each other. That was when they noticed before them a wide stream dividing the forest. While it appeared to be rather shallow, the water was raging violently.

”How are we gonna cross this?” Pinkie Pie asked. Before anyone could answer, they suddenly heard the sound of someone crying hysterically in the distance. “Huh?” Pinkie remarked as they all turned to see a rather large but lanky sea serpent weeping to himself in the middle of the water.

”What a world, what a world,” he sobbed dramatically.

”Excuse me, sir,” Twilight called out, trying to be polite. “Why are you crying?”

”Well I don’t know,” he replied as he faced the six ponies. “I was just sitting here, minding my own business, when this tacky little cloud of purple smoke just whisked past me and tore half of my beloved mustache clean off, and now I look simply horrid!”

“Well, I bet we all know who did that!” Rainbow commented.

He wailed as he slammed back into the water, creating a massive wave of water that was coming at the ponies. They were all promptly drenched in river water.

”Oh, give me a break,” Rainbow muttered with an annoyed tone.

”That’s what all the fuss is about?” Applejack asked in disbelief. Rarity felt indignant.

”Why of course it is,” she replied as she stepped forward. “How can you be so insensitive? Oh, just look at him. Such lovely luminescent scales.”

”I know,” the sea serpent sniffled.

”And you’re expertly coiffed mane,” Rarity added.

”Oh I know, I know,” the sea serpent replied as he ran his fingers through it.

”You’re fabulous manicure,” Rarity pressed on.

”It’s so true!” The sea serpent answered as he looked at his fingers.

”All ruined without your beautiful mustache,” Rarity finished with sympathy in her tone.

”It’s true, I’m hideous!”

”I simply cannot let such a crime against fabulosity go uncorrected!” she said with determination, her eyes narrowed. Before the sea serpent could say anything further, Rarity pulled off one of his scales, making him yelp.

”What did you do that for?” he asked. Rarity said nothing as she held the rounded part of his scale in her mouth. The sharper end gleaned in the moonlight as she raised it into the air. The rest of the ponies were stunned, unsure of what she was about to do.

”Rarity, what are you-“ Twilight began before she was cut off by a slicing sound.

Sunset’s jaw dropped, surely the white mare wasn’t that dark!

Everypony’s eyes shrunk with shock and the sea serpent fainted, but fortunately, he didn’t hit them with water again. Rarity’s now long beautiful tail had been cut, leaving just a short remain of purple hair.

Sunset gave a small chuckle, that makes a lot more sense.

Using her magic, she picked up the cut-up part and carefully tied it to the remains of the sea serpent’s cut mustache. He woke up and saw that his mustache had been restored...for the most part.

”Oh-hohohoho!” the sea serpent exclaimed with glee. “My mustache. How wonderful.”

”You look smashing,” said Rarity before returning to the group.

”Oh, Rarity, your beautiful tail...” said Twilight sadly.

Rarity just looked at her now short tail with a sad look before smiling. “Oh it’s fine dear,” said Rarity bravely, making the best of it. “Short tails are in this season. Besides...it’ll grow back.”

”So would the mustache,” Rainbow muttered to Twilight from the side. Twilight then gasped as she realized something.

”We can cross now,” she told everyone as she trotted through the now shallow water, “Let’s go. Ah!” Twilight was startled as she found herself on a hump in the sea serpent’s long body.

”Allow me,” said the sea serpent as he created a set of hump platforms for them all to use to cross.

“Well that was nice of him,” Starlight commented.

It wasn’t much longer before Twilight recognized what they were looking for. “There it is, the ruins that hold The Elements of Harmony. We made it!” Twilight said excitedly as she took off.

”Twilight, wait for us!” Applejack called out as the rest of the girls followed in pursuit.

”We’re almost there,” Twilight called out and then nearly tumbled down a large gap, but managed to dig her front hooves against the side of the cliff to keep herself from tumbling over. Rainbow Dash grabbed Twilight’s tail to keep her from slipping forward.

”What’s with you and falling off cliffs today?” she joked, but Twilight just looked shell-shocked and breathed a sigh of relief.

”Now what?” Pinkie asked with a sigh.

”Duh,” Rainbow remarked, as she flapped her wings to get herself up in the air.

”Oh yeah,” Pinkie chuckled as Rainbow searched for the rope that held the boards to the bridge in place and flew back up to the opposite side.

”Rainbow...” said a mysterious voice, causing the cyan Pegasus to drop the rope before she could tie it.

“Oh, not these jerks again,” Rainbow remarked in an annoyed tone.

”Who’s there?” said Rainbow, standing upright on her hooves and using her wings to stay balanced.

”Rainbow...” said the voice again.

”I ain’t scared of you!” Rainbow said bravely, pushing her front hooves in front of herself, preparing to fight. ”Show yourself!”

”We’ve been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the best flyer in Equestria,” said the voice in a tone that was deviously persuasive.

”Who?” Rainbow asked curiously.

”Why, you, of course,” the voice answered.

”Really?! I mean...oh yeah, me,” Rainbow stuttered. “Hey, uh, you wouldn’t mind telling the Wonderbolts that would ya? ‘cause I’ve been trying to get into that group for like, ever.”

”No Rainbow Dash,” said the voice, and before her, appeared three Pegasi wearing some darker blue and black flight suits and goggles. “We want you to join us, The Shadowbolts. We’re the greatest aerial team in the Everfree Forest, and soon we will be the greatest in all Equestria, but first, we need a captain.” Their leader began to fly around Rainbow Dash, stroking her ego more and more. “The most magnificent-“

Shadowbolts? Starlight knew she wasn’t aware of The Wonderbolts, but surely Rainbow would have mentioned this group too.

”Yep,” Rainbow agreed.

“Swiftest-”

“Yes”

”Bravest flyer in all the land.”

”Yes,” Rainbow chuckled. “It’s all true.”

”We need...you,” said the leader.

”WOOHOO!” Rainbow shouted excitedly. “Sign me up. Just let me tie this bridge real quick and then we have a deal.” Rainbow grabbed the rope in her mouth and began to tie it when the leader charged next to her, making her drop the rope from her mouth.

”No!” she barked. “It’s them or us!” Rainbow suddenly felt like she was in a tight spot.

For some reason, with everything she saw of the cyan Pegasus, from both onscreen and in real life, Sunset was confident in what Rainbow’s answer would be.

”Rainbow, what’s taking so long?” Twilight called out. That was when she saw the Shadowbolts and gasped. She knew exactly who they were. “Oh no, Rainbow!” The Shadowbolt leader’s eyes glowed yellow, creating a thick magical fog that drowned Twilight out.

”Don’t listen to them!” Twilight called out but was soon muted by the fog. Rainbow was unsure of what to do.

Of course! That was Nightmare Moon, how could Starlight miss that?

”Well?” the leader asked.

Rainbow hesitated another second before saying softly, ”you...” The three Pegasi, especially the leader looked triumphant, raising her wings in the air.

”Thank you,” Rainbow clarified as she secured the bridge. “For the offer, I mean, but I’m afraid I have to say no.” Rainbow zipped away. The leader and her two companions gritted their teeth before turning into an indigo cloud and floated away. The rest of the ponies cheered as Rainbow arrived back at the other side as they began to cross.

”See?” she told Twilight. “I’d never leave my friends hangin’.” Twilight smiled, grateful that Rainbow didn’t listen to Nightmare Moon’s words.

Sunset pumped her hoof into the air, smiling. She knew Rainbow wouldn’t have listened to what'd they said.

As they approached the ruins, they soon stopped before a large stone structure that held some orbs around it that looked similar to a planetarium.

”Whoa!” said Applejack, “Come on Twilight! Isn’t this what you’ve been waiting for?” Twilight looked at the statue and gasped.

“The Elements of Harmony! We’ve found them!” Twilight Sparkle cheered as the others moved forward.

Sunset cocked an eyebrow, if those were the Elements, what did she steal? Was that crown even the real Element of Harmony?

Twilight Sparkle cheered as the others moved forward. The elements were grey stones that sat on a pedestal. “Careful, careful,” she said in a cautioned voice as they were set before her.

Pinkie Pie began to point and count the stones.”One, two, three, four...there’s only five!”

Pinkie Pie squeed, trying to keep her voice down but finding it difficult. “I said that… I said that! This is so cool! They got everything just right.

Applejack narrowed her eyes.”They? What are you talking about? Pinkie, y’know we already lived through this, right?” Pinkie just ignored her.

”Where’s the sixth?” Rainbow asked.

”The book said,” Twilight explained. “When the five are present, a spark will cause the sixth element to be revealed.”

”What the hay is that supposed to mean?” Applejack asked curiously.

”I’m not sure,” said Twilight. “But I have an idea. Stand back. I don’t know what will happen.”

”Come on now, y’all,” said Applejack as she guided everyone out of the room. “She needs to concentrate.” As Twilight continued to concentrate, Nightmare Moon in her indigo cloud arrived and began to circle the elements as Twilight tried to create a magical spark. Twilight opened her eyes to see a huge blue cyclone before her. Twilight gasped.

”Aah!” she shouted as she saw the cyclone.

“Twilight!” everypony else shouted.

Spike’s claw went for Twilight’s leg. He had already seen her have enough close calls throughout this adventure.

”The Elements!” Twilight shouted as she dove into the funnel of the cyclone and it magically disappeared, taking her with it. The other five ponies began to talk over each other.

”Twilight?” Fluttershy called out.

”What?” Applejack exclaimed.

”Where did she go?” Rarity asked.

”What happened?” Pinkie Pie asked.

”What’s going on?!” Rainbow Dash finished. All of them minus Applejack began to dash about, wondering where their friend was.

For some reason, Sunset also couldn’t help but worry about the violent unicorn. But… didn’t Sunset hate Twilight?

”Twilight, where are you?” Applejack asked worriedly.

”Look!” Rarity called out, as she pointed out a nearby run-down ruin where there were some glowing lights nearby in the decaying windows.

”Come on!” Applejack called out as they all rushed out as fast as they could.

Meanwhile, the indigo cloud poofed Twilight into a new location, where she was coughing and spluttering from all the dust. There before her was Nightmare Moon, her turquoise armor sparkling in the moonlight. Twilight gasped before she gave her a stern glare and prepared to charge.

”You’re kidding, you’re kidding right?” Nightmare Moon asked. Twilight glared before she charged at her. Nightmare Moon came right at her. Then at the last moment, Twilight used her magic to disappear, reappearing in the middle of the Elements.

Starlight and Spike smiled. “Good thinking Twilight!” Spike commented.

Twilight was a little woozy as this was her second attempt at a teleportation spell, but shook it off she began to prepare her horn once more.

”Just one spark,” she groaned. “Come on, come on!” Nightmare Moon turned back into a cloud, and reappeared where Twilight was, sending an electrical blast. Twilight screamed as the blast sent her flying backward and landing painfully on her back.

“Twilight!” Spike yelled.

However, it seemed like the Elements were indeed sparkling, as energy coursed through them.

”No, no!” Nightmare Moon cried out. Twilight smiled.

Starlight and Sunset both raised an eyebrow as the same thought went through their heads. Was that it, was Nightmare Moon defeated?

It unfortunately was not over as the charge fizzled out. Nightmare Moon laughed triumphantly as she lifted her front hooves and stomped down around the orbs, causing them to shatter into pieces.

If Sunset had a mirror, she was sure she had a similar look as the Twilight onscreen did. How could the Elements be destroyed that easily?

Starlight was also shocked. If the Elements were destroyed, how did they beat her?

Twilight was in shock, as Nightmare Moon sneered at her. “You little foal! Thinking you could defeat me? Now you will never see your princess or your sun! The night will last forever!” She laughed insanely, creating a great dark blue storm above her.

Twilight felt like all hope was lost until she heard some familiar voices behind her, talking over to each other. “Don’t worry Twilight, we’re here!” Pinkie called out.

”Don’t worry we’ll be there!” Applejack added. It was then that something clicked in the unicorn’s heart and a small smirk formed on her face. She turned around to face Nightmare Moon, with newfound confidence.

”You think you can destroy The Elements of Harmony just like that?” Twilight challenged.Well, you’re wrong, because the spirits of The Elements of Harmony are right here!” As if they had rehearsed it, the five mares all stood around her.

”What?” Nightmare Moon exclaimed.

Sunset Shimmer’s mouth was agape, mirroring Nightmare Moon’s expression. The Elements were broken. How could they still use them!?

As Twilight spoke of each pony, several shards suddenly rose from the broken Elements and surrounded them.

“Applejack, who reassured me when I was in doubt, represents the spirit of…honesty!”

“Fluttershy, who tamed the manticore with her compassion, represents the spirit of…kindness!”

“Pinkie Pie, who banished fear by giggling in the face of danger, represents the spirit of…laughter!”

“Rarity, who calmed a sorrowful serpent with a meaningful gift, represents the spirit of…generosity!”

“Yeah! Go Rarity!” Spike cheered.

“And Rainbow Dash, who could not abandon her friends for her own heart’s desire, represents the spirit of…loyalty!”

”These five ponies got us through every challenge you threw at us!” said Twilight.

”But you still don’t have the sixth Element!” Nightmare Moon protested. “The spark didn’t work!”

”But it did!” said Twilight and faced the other five ponies. No! Her friends. “A different kind of spark. I felt it the very moment I realized how happy I was to hear you, to see you, how much I cared about you.” Twilight smiled as tears escaped her eyes.

The real Twilight also had tears in her eyes. These ponies were one of the best friends she ever had.

Sunset also had tears in her eyes and was confused as to why she felt so emotional. But she realized suddenly, that she had been changing just as much as Twilight had. When she was Princess Celestia’s student, all she ever cared about was power and fame, and that mindset carried itself right into the alternate human world. The only thing she knew was how to use people’s emotions like Flash Sentry or tear real relationships apart like Twilight’s friend’s human counterparts. Well, now things would change. She was going to change, and there was nothing anypony or anybody could do about it.

”The spark ignited inside me when I realized that you all...were my friends,” said Twilight proudly. “You see Nightmare Moon, when those Elements are ignited by the...the spark, that resides in the heart of us all. It creates the sixth element: the Element of...Magic!” It was just then the sixth orb appeared, revealing the sixth element as it descended above Twilight. This was when the shards of the other elements began to restore themselves, creating special gold necklaces with each element residing in the center. Twilight’s element was more special. It created a special tiara with the element of magic shining triumphantly on her head. With that, a bright light surrounded the entire group of ponies as all six elements converged with Twilight in the center of what was raw power. Suddenly a large and powerful rainbow engulfed Nightmare Moon in a multicolored cyclone.

”Nooo! Nooo!” Nightmare Moon screamed as the rainbow power consumed her. The power of the elements continued to become brighter until Twilight opened her eyes, her own eyes were now glowing white as well before the brightness consumed them all.

Starlight wiped her tears away. “That was amazing! Yeah, the magic of friendship is really something else.”

“Yeah, it is,” Sunset replied, quietly wiping her own.

Once the bright light had faded, everyone was now lying on the ground, clearly spent from being exposed to all that power. “Ugh, my head,” Rainbow groaned as she sat up.

”Everypony okay?” Applejack asked as the rest got back on their hooves.

”Oh, thank goodness!” said Rarity as she looked behind herself. The magic of the elements had restored her tail.

”Why Rarity, it’s so lovely,” Fluttershy pointed out.

”I know!” said Rarity, trying to cuddle her tail. “I’ll never part with it again.”

”No, your necklace,” Fluttershy corrected. “It looks just like your cutie mark.”

Rarity looked at the gold necklace. “What?” she exclaimed as she saw the purple diamond in the middle of it and then looked at her cutie mark. “Ooh. So does yours!” Fluttershy looked at her necklace and smiled.

”Look at mine! Look at mine!” Pinkie said excitedly as the others looked at theirs.

”Aw, yeah,” said Rainbow proudly as she looked at her own. Twilight looked at her own with a smile on her face.

”Gee Twilight,” said Applejack. “I thought you were just spoutin’ a lot of hooey, but I reckon we really do represent the elements of friendship.”

Starlight’s eyes widened. So this is why Twilight’s friends were so important to Equestria. If it weren’t for them, Nightmare Moon would’ve cast the world into an eternal night. Even though Twilight in her timeline forgave her, she felt like such a fool.

”Indeed you do,” said a majestic voice. Everyone felt a warm light enter the ruins of the castle. As the sun finally filled the once-dark sky. Another light made its way before them and there appeared before them all was Princess Celestia herself. All but Twilight bowed before her. Mainly because she was so happy to see her.

”Princess Celestia!” Twilight gasped as she rushed towards her and shared a warm embrace.

”Twilight Sparkle, my faithful student,” she said proudly. “I knew you could do it.”

”But...you told me it was all an old pony tale,” said Twilight.

”I told you to make some friends, nothing more.” Celestia corrected as the other ponies stood up, minus Fluttershy but that was because of her shy nature. “I saw the signs of Nightmare Moon’s return and I knew that it was you who had the magic inside to defeat her, but you could not unleash it until you let true friendship into your heart.” She said gently. Twilight turned to the other ponies, giving them a grateful smile.

Celestia was right. That much was clear. But now, Sunset felt uneasy, now that she truly understood the magic of friendship, would Celestia forgive her? Would Twilight and her friends forgive her if they knew what she had done in the human world? Even if they didn’t, Sunset knew that she’d want to change her ways anyway.

”Now if only another will as well,” said Princess Celestia, calling the attention of the six ponies as she made her way towards what was left of Nightmare Moon, or rather her true form. “Princess Luna!” Sitting in the remains of the now useless shreds of Nightmare Moon’s armor was a lighter blue alicorn with an even lighter mane and tail. The paleness of her coat and mane was a clear sign that she had been drained of her magical power and was much smaller in size compared to Princess Celestia. She gasped when she heard her name and looked up at Princess Celestia fearfully.

”It has been a thousand years since I have seen you like this,” said Princess Celestia. “It is time we put our differences behind us. We were meant to rule together, little sister.” Everyone’s jaw dropped.

”Sister?” Twilight and Rainbow asked in unison.

”Will you accept my friendship?” Celestia offered, raising a hoof towards her. The other ponies leaned forward with interest and anxiousness, waiting to see what Luna would do. Pinkie, however, leaned too far forward.

Well this felt familiar’ Starlight thought. Maybe once they all got back to Equestria, they could talk, since it seemed that Luna and her shared something in common.

”Whoa!” she called as she lost her balance and fell.

”I’m so sorry!” Luna sobbed as she burst into tears and hugged Celestia. “I missed you so much, big sister!”

”I’ve missed you, too,” said Princess Celestia as her tears formed on the bottoms of her eyes and she held Luna close.

Sunset’s smile grew. If Luna could be forgiven for her sins, maybe she could too.

Everyone was touched but was interrupted when Pinkie burst into tears and sobbed... Then stopped immediately.

”Hey do you know what this calls for?” she said and the scene returned to just outside of Ponyville. “A party!” Several ponies cheered and the celebration for the return of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had begun. Spike was there to give Twilight a warm welcome. Luna seemed unsure about being there until two young pegasus foals presented her with a beautiful necklace of roses. Everyone was happy. That is until Celestia noticed that Twilight looked a little forlorn.

”Why so glum, my faithful student?” Princess Celestia asked gently. “Are you not happy that your quest is complete and you can return to your studies in Canterlot?”

”That’s just it,” said Twilight. “Just when I learned how wonderful it is to have friends. I have to leave them.” Princess Celestia smiled.

”Spike, take a note please,” she commanded. “I, Princess Celestia, hereby decree that the unicorn, Twilight Sparkle, shall take on a new mission for Equestria. She must continue to study the magic of friendship. She must report to me her findings from her new home in Ponyville.” Twilight smiled excitedly as the rest of the ponies cheered and her friends all gathered around her for a group hug.

”Oh thank you Princess Celestia!” said Twilight happily. “I’ll study harder than ever before!”

“Isn’t this exciting! Oh, I’ve never been more excited!” said Pinkie, smiling from ear to ear, her mouth still munching on her Nightmare Night candy in her chicken costume.

Author's Note:

As per usual with these watch it fics, one chapter will be one episode, and will use the episode titles as well. The reason I combined part one & two together is because I thought it would flow better, and this is actually something I’ll do for all the 'future' over 44 minute stuff.

Again, as I’m not used to writing these kinds of stories, if you see a character act OOC or their reactions aren’t authentic to how the real character would react, or a scene that they should comment on, please tell me in the comment section so I can fix it.

FYI, if you believe Sunset had a change of heart to quickly, watch this https://youtu.be/f8GRnyhgfLA?si=SNVNZZglxXxswYoH. Trust me, I thought Sunset was crying in that movie for a totally different reason to, until I watched this. Such a crime Hasbro didn’t include this into The Friendship Games film officially.

Comments ( 1 )

“Uh, Pinkie, ya do know we don’t have to eat anything, right?” Applejack asked, looking to her right.

Doesn’t mean you can’t eat.

“Thank you Spike, but I still shouldn’t have lost my patience with you. Your young and your still learning, and I shouldn’t have yelled at you.” Sunset groaned softly at the sappy scene. ‘ Why am I even here?’ she thought.

Someone smack sunset.

“I know her name is Mayer Mare, but isn’t her real name Ivory Scrolls?” Fluttershy asked.

Really?

“Well, after Pinkie Pie’s celebration party, she told me that Nightmare Moon had surprised her and banished her to the sun. Princess Celestia didn’t even have time to react.”

Cool

Login or register to comment