• Published 6th Jul 2023
  • 6,167 Views, 19 Comments

Standards of Beauty - RunicTreetops



Rarity puts a lot of work into maintaining her appearance. Unfortunately, as a human, you're not quite sure what makes a pony "beautiful."

  • ...
16
 19
 6,167

Standards of Beauty

"Do you think chartreuse would work, or does it clash too much with the trim?"

"Uhh... yes?"

"Yes what, darling?"

"Erm... it... works?"

"...Hm. I will simply mark it down as a 'maybe' for now."

Rarity turns from you to look at a sketch she's been working on. You let out a silent, exasperated sigh. This isn't really how you saw today going.

It was about two years ago that you wound up in Equestria. Yada yada yada, something something isekai. Long story short, you've adjusted to this new home of yours fairly well, and your successful transition was due in no small part to the friends you've made here. These ponies may be extremely different when compared to humans, but in your eyes, that's not a bad thing. They're incredibly friendly, and they have been more than willing to accommodate for your "alien oddities." Of these ponies, one in particular has stood out to you.

Ms. Rarity, the unicorn mare you currently find yourself in the presence of, is essentially your best friend. Out of everypony you've met, she, more than anyone else, jumped at the chance to get to know you and help you adjust to your life in Equestria. As you would later come to find out, she apparently embodies the "element of generosity" or something, and that most likely had something to do with it. Still, you appreciate having her around, and as far as you can tell, she likes you just as much.

You smile as you watch her work. The purple-maned fashion designer has a habit of getting really into it. You chuckle to yourself. It must be nice being able to have such a successful career doing something you love so much. You watch as she adjusts her reading glasses without ever looking up from her sketch. She is in the process of designing a new dress for her spring line. In the middle of fall.

Yeah, you don't really get fashion.

On top of that, you don't really get a lot of what Rarity does. It isn't even necessarily a problem with you being an alien, because you didn't know a darn thing about fashion BEFORE you ended up here. So, when Rarity asks for your opinion on one of her designs, you just kind of have to hope you aren't saying something stupid.

Maybe you should read a book on color theory, or something.

"Anon!"

You suddenly look up at Rarity who, judging by her posture and tone of voice, has been trying to get your attention for a little while now. That's why you shouldn't get lost in your own thoughts, bud.

"Y-yes?"

"Could you be a dear and fetch the roll of coral-colored fabric from downstairs? I think I left it on the table next to the front door."

"Oh, sure! Be right back."

"Thank you~!"

You quickly head out the door of Rarity's... workshop? Studio? What would you call that room? Eh, oh well. You make your way downstairs into the main lobby of the Carousel Boutique. A quick glance out the window reminds you that it's pretty late at night, and the boutique has been closed for some time. Approaching the table she spoke of, you notice several, completely identical rolls of fabric. Er... does it matter which one you bring?

With a shrug, you grab the roll on your left and head back upstairs, announcing your presence when you enter the room.

"Ah, thank you so... Anon, I said the coral fabric."

"Is... that not what this is?"

"That's SALMON, darling."

"...Right. I'll just, uh, head back down."

"No no, don't bother. I was working with a few different color choices yesterday, and if you cannot tell the difference between coral and salmon, I'm afraid you will most likely repeat this mistake again. I will fetch it myself in a bit, do not fret."

"S-sorry, Rarity."

She sighs.

"It's quite alright. I probably shouldn't be making you my errand boy, anyway. I was the one that invited you here, after all. I apologize, Anon. I just... can't help myself when inspiration strikes!"

You laugh.

"You're passionate about what you do. That's nothing to be ashamed of."

"Still, I've left you awkwardly sitting in a corner all evening, haven't I? Would you care for a cup of tea?"

"Tea? Er, well, yes actually, that sounds lovely."

"Very well! I will be right back."

Rarity happily trots out of the room in that dignified manner of hers. You smile at her as she passes by and take a seat at the only table in the room not covered in materials. Is it just you, or did she seem... nervous?

After a couple of minutes she returns with two glasses of tea and takes a seat across from you, happily levitating one of the glasses towards you.

"I hope you don't mind that I'm not using any fine teacups. Sweetie Belle did a number on my old set." She mumbles that last part under her breath with a certain amount of vitriol. Yeesh, you're thankful you don't have any siblings in Equestria. "Anyway, how have you been holding up, Anon? Job giving you trouble? Any... mares that have caught your attention?"

She bats her eyes at you with interest, prepared to hang on your every word. Ah, Rarity. Ever the gossip.

"I've been doing pretty well, all things considered. Work has been fine, there haven't been any villains trying to kill us lately... yeah, I'd say I'm good."

"That's wonderful to hear, darling. Buuuuuuut, I'm afraid you dodged the most interesting of my questions."

"Well, I'm sorry, but I don't really know what to say. Haven't really thought about romance since coming to Equestria, I've had enough going on as-is."

"Are you sure? There haven't been any..." Rarity turns slightly and flips her mane around stylishly. "Gorgeous mares that you just couldn't look away from?"

"Not really."

She immediately drops her smile and looks at you with bewilderment.

"R-really? None?"

"None. To be honest, I'm, uh, not really sure what a 'gorgeous mare' looks like."

Rarity suddenly looks surprisingly angry. You feel the hairs on the back of your neck begin to stand up.

Yeah, you definitely said something wrong.

"Excuse me?!"

You put your hands out in front of you defensively.

"I-I-I'm just saying! I'm a human! I have no standard from which to judge if a pony is 'beautiful!'"

"Hmph! And here I was, thinking you had taste!"

"What would you have me do, Rarity? Lie to you?"

"Considering all the compliments you've paid me over the last two years, that appears to be exactly what you've been doing!"

Oh. That's what this is about.

"Rarity, I-"

"That's enough! I do not want to hear it! This conversation is over!"

"W-wait, I-"

"Enough!" She looks away from you, trace amounts of mascara beginning to run from the corners of her eyes. Yeah, you really screwed up there. Rarity has always been particularly sensitive when it comes to this sort of thing, and she wears her heart on her sleeve. It's going to be really hard to defuse this situation. She takes a deep breath, yet appears no less upset after doing so. "I'm sorry Anon, but I am going to have to cut our meeting short. I... I am no longer in the proper mood!"

"..."

You silently look at the back of her head, knowing full well that you wouldn't be able to get a word out if you tried anyway. With a sigh, you get up from your seat and slowly begin to walk around the table. From Rarity's perspective, it probably looks like you're about to head out the door, but as you're about to walk past her, you get this feeling in your chest. It's like a sudden urge, and it's an urge you've had while hanging out with Rarity before. Should you really be having this feeling?

Eh, oh well. This situation can't get much worse.

She gasps in surprise as you hug her from behind and lift her out of her chair, squeezing her tightly against your chest as you do.

"A-Anon?! What are you doing?!"

"Something words can't."

You tilt your head down and give Rarity a gentle kiss on the top her head. It's meant to be a cute gesture, but you understand that she is more than likely just going to yell at you for messing up her mane. Still... you're just doing what your heart is telling you to do.

"P-put me down, you brute! I am still angry with you!"

"No, I don't think I will."

After hesitating for a moment, Rarity swings an elbow behind her, directly into your rib. You expect it to hurt, but you're surprised when it barely even makes contact. Rarity is more than capable of breaking out of your grasp, but she pulled her punch. Huh.

"...What are you trying to say, Anon?"

You sigh as you clutch the mare close to your chest. This probably isn't the time, but you can't help but smile at how soft she is.

"Rarity, I never lied to you."

"Hah! Not even a week ago you said I was beautiful. Now you're saying that you don't know when a pony is beautiful. One of those has to be a complete lie."

"I'm sorry Rarity, I misspoke earlier. When I said that I don't know how to judge when a pony is beautiful, I was referring to their appearance. That is still completely true, and if you still want to be angry at me for that, you have every right to. I know how much appearances matter to you."

"Th-then what about-"

"When I called YOU beautiful, I wasn't talking about your looks. I was talking about all of you."

"What?"

"The way you're always trying to look out for me. The way you stay headstrong in the face of opposition, even if you really, really don't want to. And even if I can't appreciate the 'finer things,' as you call them, in the same ways you do, I still love how you put everything you have into those passions. To me, THAT is what makes you beautiful."

As you spoke, Rarity's face grew redder and redder. She stopped struggling and eventually began to simply accept your bear hug. She stopped crying, though the dried mascara is still staining her cheeks. When she speaks, her voice is hardly a whisper.

"Why didn't you say all that to begin with?"

You chuckle nervously as you realize that you're probably blushing even more than she is right now.

"It's, uh, embarrassing to say that stuff out loud."

Reluctantly, you slowly lower Rarity back down to the ground. When her hooves are back on the floor, she turns around to look at you again, an amalgamation of many emotions evident on her face.

"...V-very well, then. I supposed I jumped the gun, so to speak. I'm sorry, Anon."

"H-hey, no need to apologize! I'm the one that was being insensitive."

"I can forgive your wavering use of the word 'beautiful,' buuuuuut~" She gives you an ominous grin as she bats her eyes at you. "I don't really like it when you lie, Anon."

"B-but I didn't lie! I just explained that!"

"You certainly saved your hide with that little move of yours, but in doing so, you revealed a completely separate lie."

"Oh? And what is that?"

"I don't know about your world, Anon, but head smooches are a very big deal here in Equestria."

"Th-they are?"

You feel a cold sweat begin to form on your brow.

"And you said there aren't any mares you're interested in. Hmhm! I'm flattered, Anon. I didn't know you felt that way about me."

Her voice is low and... seductive, you guess? Oh dear, what have you gotten yourself into?

You briefly clear your throat.

"W-well then. Ahem. Would... would you like to join me for dinner this Friday?"

"I think that would be lovely, Anon. I'll see you at seven?"

"Y-yeah, that works."

Your voice is an embarrassing, squeaky mess.

"Wonderful. I shall see you then, darling. For now, though, I have a dress to work on. Just you wait, I'll have you thinking I'm beautiful by ALL definitions before you know it!"

The tension finally seems to be broken as you let out a laugh while making your way to the door.

"I'm looking forward to it. Goodnight, Rarity!"

"Goodnight, dear."

Once you're out the door, your confident stride is replaced by an awkward hobble. Once you've finally made it all the way out of the boutique, it feels like your legs are made of jelly. That could have gone HORRIBLY. And yet, somehow, you ended up pouring out your feelings to Rarity and getting a date out of it. You let out one more anxious sigh as you make your way back home. What a whirlwind of an evening.

And all because you were too nervous to tell her that you think she's pretty.

Author's Note:

As always, I appreciate any and all feedback!

Comments ( 19 )
JD1
JD1 #1 · Jul 6th, 2023 · · 1 ·

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The story was very cute, but honestly I was laughing before I even read it. I can't explain why, but the cover art is just hilarious.

I also wonder if Rarity was fucking with Anon with the 'head smooches' thing. I kind of hope so.:raritywink:

I love how Runic makes so many stories like this, they just gave up and “something something isekai” LMAO:rainbowlaugh:

Also aww, cute Rarity fic!

very cute

Hye
Hye #5 · Jul 7th, 2023 · · ·

11631066
Tbh, I'm now thinking that all slice-of-life stories should go like that.

Wish women would stop asking me if they look good or fat in certain outfits.

Okay, now I wanna se me a sequel to this. This is too good to just leave as is. :pinkiehappy:

This was a cute read, the dynamic between Rarity and Anon was well done and sweet, good job.

Very cute. Much adorb. Wow.

Well, that was very cute story.

Also, pretty convenient that what Anon considers pretty and what ponies consider pretty are the same things. I wonder how would that story unfold if, for example, Anon would like the specific eye shape that ponies consider ugly? And Rarity has this eye shape but masterfully conceals it with masacra and glitter, but Anon sees right through that and compliments her real eye shape. Or something else, shape of ears, mane color, amount of fat, length of legs, horn, wings, neck, anything.

11631206 The BEST response, "I dunno... was 'Jabba the Hut' the look you were going for?" :trollestia:

Given how often the ponies of Equestria had reused faces and body types, this is a legit question :unsuresweetie:

:duck: Ready are we? Anon this is Spike and he will teach you fabric colors swaths of texture and how to assist me,
:moustache: Here read these...
:raritystarry: What? How dare you, Anon apologize at once! We are NOT going to the Hay Burger...Spike is not a lizard,
:moustache: Dose this furless ape know anything? Gosh it's like he's never worked his whole life!
:raritycry: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:twilightoops: What do you mean he's Celestias problem?
:trollestia: So you have issues with ponies? Don't we all?
:facehoof: Anon's her pet? How? No , No never ask...

11631546
11632351
It'll at least ensure they stop asking in pretty short order. :rainbowlaugh:

Dan

Sweetie is prettier. So there!

11631546
Just remembered a quip that I've thought about but am not mean enough to actually use: "pretty sure it's not the dress" :pinkiecrazy:

You quickly head out the door of Rarity's... workshop? Studio? What would you call that room? Eh, oh well. You make your way downstairs into the main lobby of the Carousel Boutique. A quick glance out the window reminds you that it's pretty late at night, and the boutique has been closed for some time. Approaching the table she spoke of, you notice several, completely identical rolls of fabric. Er... does it matter which one you bring?

bring them all.

Login or register to comment