• Published 27th Jul 2023
  • 1,302 Views, 14 Comments

Under The Apple Tree - Lunar Hymn



Summer is a time of fun in the sun, but for these two it's the start of something new.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,302

Summer of Honesty

Summer in Ponyville was already off to a great start. The skies were cloud free and the temperature was perfect for any outdoor activity anypony could think of. School let out and the joyful laughter of foals playing in Ponyville Lake filled the small village.

Atop a small hill in Sweet Apple Acres was a large apple tree that looked down upon the rest. At first glance it looked like just a regular tree but to a certain human it was paradise itself.

The large tree branches provided a vast area of shade keeping the blazing summer sun from causing a nasty sunburn. The gentle summer breeze drifted up both sides of the hill intersected at its trunk making it the optimal place for relaxation and keeping cool.

Anon knew that Ponyville wasn’t the most peaceful of places, but this tree provided all he needed to keep him sane.

Which lasted all but five minutes when a certain country mare trotted up beside him smelling like sweat and apples.

Applejack was his best friend but he knew she was a hard working mare. Always trying to drag him along to buck apples. She knew well that a human wasn't built for it but insisted he come along no matter what. Something about needing a spotter or whatever. But not once has he seen another pony watching her as she worked.

“I know yah like your peace and quiet and all that but since we are on my farm I decided to come check out this place you love nappin’ at. So mind if I join yah?”

Anon signaled her over patting the ground right next to him. “Can’t say no to you. Getting into a fight with you would be signing my own death certificate and I'm not quite ready for it yet.”

Applejack let out a small giggle. “And here I thought you liked em young. Yah do spend a lotta time with the youngins after school for a moment ah thought you was a foal fiddler.”

“Happy you don't see me in that light. But kids always gravitated towards me and it seems like it carried over here. It’s probably because I hear them out and give them someone older to talk to when no one else will listen. Hell, a few of them even call me ‘Big Bro’ when we meet up.”

“Always found it sweet when little Applebloom comes home talking about how yah tell em all bout the world you came from. Couldn’t keep her quiet at all once she learned about those car things. All she could think about is having one of her own.”

He chuckled. “Wouldn’t blame her. Humanity spent years creating and improving things to make life a bit easier for everyone. Cars are just one of the few simple things that we enjoy. Driving sure beats walking around any day of the week.”

Applejack’s boisterous country mare laugh filled the air. “Sure it would make things easier but nothing beats hard work. That feeling of knowing that you put in 100% of your effort to gettin a task done always feels satisfying.”

“Speaking of satisfaction, today is possibly the most perfect day anyone or anypony could ask for. Temperatures just right to laze about and do nothing.”

“Might be a perfect day for yah but there's still one thing that could make it a tad bit better.”

“Now I'm interested. What makes you say that?” Anon said, raising an eyebrow.

“Yah Mind if I ask you a question that’s been bugging me.”

Anon nodded in agreement.

Applejacks rose from her seated spot and turned to face Anon. Her emerald eyes shined in the summer sun as she was determined to say something important.

“Have yah ever just felt like there's something missing in yah heart and you know what it is but are too scared to just reach out and take it? Like it's right in front of your hooves and you're constantly thinking about what would happen if it were to reject you.”

“You know I'm not good with this cryptic mumbo jumbo, let's just skip to what you have to say.”

“Ever since I met yah. Yah always spent time at the farm and even with me. It warmed my heart and I appreciate it, you're the only stallion that has treated me more than just a farmer but as a friend. I always thought I’d be a grumpy old mare like Granny but yah came around and changed it. So all I wanted to say is that I love yah Anon.”

Her blush gradually brightened her face while she hid her eyes under her stetson.

“Yeah I already knew.” Anon chuckled.

“B-but how. I’ve kept it a secret the best ah could. Anyone who did know Pinkie Promised they wouldn’t say a thing.”

“I kind of sort of maybe overheard you and Rarity a few months back. You both are quite loud talkers when left alone.”

“And why didn't yah say anything?” She had turned as red as the apples hanging from the tree above them.

“Cause I was waiting on you to make the first move. If I remember right this Equestria is more of a Mare dominant society so I thought I’d let you come to me.”

“Either way, what's your answer to my confession Anon. Yah still haven’t given me a real answer.”

“We both already know the answer, my little pony. Yes I will go out with you Ms. Rough and Tough. Somebody’s got to keep you company and it would be my pleasure to be that someone.

“Thank yah. I think yah made me the happiest mare alive. Anon I've got another question but this is very important now that we are together.”

“Alright let's hear it. You’ve never told a lie and since you say it's important it must be.”

“Wanna go applebucking with me tomorrow?”

Facepalming as hard as he could, Anon responded.

“You have got to be kidding me.”

Author's Note:

Sequel is on its way. When who knows...

I'd say im about 80-90% Done

Comments ( 14 )

11650311
Who knows... Depending on how things go with other things I'm working on it just might get one.

11650547
Thank you for letting me know about this. This really made my day.

Man, what a cute and fun short story! Gotta appreciate our farm girl!:twilightsmile::ajsmug:

11650844
But of course. I love Luna but Applejack holds a precious space in my heart.

This was amazing ! I'd definitely be happy if this was ongoing ! Keep it up!

11651027
I actually decided to make a sequel to it. It's was nice to see so many people like it so I shall give the people what they want.

11651054
Bet!, guess I will be waiting until then . Have fun writing it and I can't wait to see how it will turn out!

Just logged back in to see my little story under the Most Popular tab. Thank you everyone for reading so far I greatly appreciate it. :heart:

Very cute and straight forward.

The large tree branches provided a vast area of shade keeping the blazing summer sun from preventing a nasty sunburn.

aww but the ponies canonically have sunscreen!

Which lasted all but five minutes when a certain country mare trotted up beside him smelling like sweat and apples.

the best combination of smells

Applejack let out a small giggle. “And here I thought you liked em young. Yah do spend a lotta time with the youngins after school for a moment ah thought you was a foal fiddler.”

well a strange place for that convo to go!

Oh, this is nice.

… but to a certain human…

Oh no.

Yeah, a shipfic involving He Who Will Not Be Named was going to be a hard sell for me in the best of times. Tense inconsistency and all of the relationship buildup happening offscreen didn’t help. (Yes, you didn’t have a choice with the second part, but you also could’ve made the human literally anyone. Not anyone else, anyone. The whole point of Anon is that he is explicitly a nonentity through which the audience can project themselves.)

Sorry, but this was not the contest for HiE, certainly not for trying justify an Anon ship. Still, thank you for the entry.

11698541
Appreciate the comment. Really made me think about deeper into how I should go about things in the future. Trying to fit things into 1000 words was quite a challenge for someone who has started to take up writing but it was fun giving it a shot. It was a great learning experience in the end.

Login or register to comment