• Published 29th Apr 2023
  • 186 Views, 2 Comments

Scarf Bros - TheEighthDayofNight



Two friends do a photoshoot in scarves

  • ...
2
 2
 186

The bat, the bug, and the scarves

Night Reader laughed as he left the train, with a frowning changeling close behind.

“That was not a joke,” Trex said, his yellow eyes flicking to the crowds of ponies flowing all around them.

Night Reader bumped rumps with the changeling and threw a hoof over his withers, pulling him close.

“Bug, it’s always a joke. You say you don’t like snuggles, we snuggle up on the train, and then I tease you until the next time we snuggle up. We met at a hug convention. What exactly did you expect our friendship to be filled with?”

“I was only there to collect love,” Trex grumbled. “Stupid pony and his stupid cheating pony fluff. I should put you in a pod and drain you dry just to prove a point.”

Night Reader rolled his eyes and chuckled at the familiar threat, happy to have the changeling’s attention focused elsewhere. He wasn’t a sociable creature, but then again, what changelings were? They had met at the annual Canterlot Cuddle Convention, with both being there for “other” reasons, which were of course just excuses to go to the best gathering of fluffy ponies on the entire planet. Night Reader was there for “research”, while Trex, disguised as a tan unicorn with his usual yellow eyes, had slipped into the convention to gather love.

Night Reader looked back on the memory fondly as he wove them through the congested train station.

Night Reader watched the presenter with care, his pencil flying across his notepad. Two days he’d spent at the festival, and somehow he hadn’t gotten a single hug. He was part bat pony for Celestia’s sake, he should’ve been rolling in snuggles!

The pony to his right was working similarly, a pen in his yellow magic, taking down a laundry list of notes as the pink mare stage paced past.

“Now that we’ve covered the basics of the perfect hug, it’s time to try it out!” An excited chatter filled the packed concert-hall turned speaking stage, and Night Reader leaned forward eagerly in his seat. Finally, some proper cuddling. “Now, there are an even number of seats, and I don’t see anything empty, so everypony should have a partner!” She giggled and waved her hooves. “Now cuddle up ponies. Take the lesson you’ve just learned and give your new friends a hug!”

Night Reader, having nearly been late to the seminar, was on the end of an aisle, and as such, had nobody to his left. Looking right, he found the yellow-eyed unicorn watching the ponies to his right hug, and his head turned slowly to Night Reader. The pair stared at each other for a long moment, their notepads simply floating in place.

The yellow-eyed unicorn twitched, his hooves shifting just slightly before he drooped and looked away, apparently unwilling to initiate. Night Reader smiled and opened his hooves wide, letting his notepad fall to the floor as his magic seized the unicorn. With a squeak, the unicorn slid over and into his arms. Night Reader hugged the pony tight, rubbing and patting his back to increase comfort as his bat pony fluff did the rest. Purrs of joy tickled his ears, and Night Reader closed his eyes, smiling and waiting for hooves to wrap around his back so they could get a proper, textbook hug rolling.

He was shocked when instead he felt a flash of heat and heard a crowd full of gasps. He cracked open his eyes to find a lot of ponies looking his way, or more importantly, at the “unicorn” in his embrace. In place of the tan unicorn with yellow eyes was a gray changeling with… still yellow eyes. At least he assumed they were yellow. They were closed in apparent delight. The little bug continued to purr in his grasp, apparently unknowing that his disguise was gone. Night Reader noticed a small pink mist leaving his body and entering the bug’s mouth, but found that he didn’t mind it all that much, or rather he wouldn’t have minded, had he been getting a hug in equal return.

One hoof abandoned its cuddly mission to poke the changeling in the forehead. The bug opened his eyes and blinked at the blue unicorn hugging him. Night Reader frowned down at him.

“Look, I don’t mind you taking a little snack, but the least you could do is hug me back, yeah snuggle bug?”

“B-bug? But I am…” The changeling looked down, then squealed in panic. “I’m out of disguise! I’ve gotta… I mean…” His yellow eyes looked back up to Night Reader with visible confusion. “You… You do not mind me eating your love?”

Night Reader cocked an eyebrow.

“Are you going to actually hug me? Cause I came here for hugs, and right now, I’m lacking in such.”

The bug blushed.

“S-sorry. I am just… You should be freaking out right now.” He looked around, noticing hundreds of eyes on his back. “Like them.”

“Tell you what, you actually hug me, and not only will I not freak out, but you can keep eating my love. Gonna have to hug me for a while though.”

The bug turned back to Night Reader and chuckled.

“I don’t really like hugs…” He cooed as Night Reader leaned forward, touching his cheek with his fluffiest chest fur. “But you are really soft.”

Night Reader hummed in satisfaction as a pair of hooves finally closed around his back and the bug hugged him. A collective ‘daww’ filled the air, and the ponies went back to their business, that business being hugging. Soft, warm, fluffy hug-

“Night!”

Night Reader was drawn from his fluffy memory to the present, where Trex was glaring at him with visible impatience. They were standing in the middle of one of Canterlot’s many squares, about half way between the train station and the castle. They’d evidently walked that far while he was busy daydreaming. It was a good thing he’d booked the king sized bed. Trex was definitely going to be a snuggle bug this time.

“Where are we going?” Trex asked, again drawing his attention back to the here and now. “You have been playing mysterious since you invited me back here.”

Night Reader scoffed.

“As if I need a reason to see my best bug friend.”

I have to fill out a permit every time I come to this blasted city,” Trex deadpanned. “We already agreed, if you want a social call, you visit me. Besides, you know Petra likes practicing her pony cooking, and I have gotten the crop big enough that I can prepare your favorite dish, only needing to buy the noodles!”

Night Reader licked his lips at the thought of changeling cooked spaghetti. Trex was a fantastic cook, knew how to prepare dishes the blue unicorn had never even heard of and knew how to prepare them to perfection. Petra, Trex’s marefriend and a guardling, had started learning from her snuggle bug how to cook as well, leaving the yellow-eyed bug more time to devote to his slowly expanding garden. When he’d last visited their home in the hive, it had been a few cobbled together plots of dirt with different herbs and simple vegetables growing, but if Trex was talking about whole dishes now…

“So those tomato seeds I sent you worked out?”

Trex’s fangs shined as he grinned.

“I did not believe you, but you were right. They grow as big as my hoof, and that is without even following all the instructions!” The changeling’s hoof started to extend, but he hesitated, prompting Night Reader to roll his eyes and drag the changeling into another hug, resting his chin on the bug’s head.

Trex had decidedly not learned his lesson from the hugging convention, despite over a year of friendship and hugging. He still struggled to initiate physical contact, either snarling about how changelings didn’t hug (they did) or whining about he didn’t like hugs even if other changelings did (he lied). That left Night Reader to carry the physical side of their friendship, snuggling his bug at every opportunity, relishing in the small grins, smiles, and happy tail flicks Trex tried, and failed, to hide.

Night Reader rubbed the bug’s head with a hoof.

“Well now I’m definitely coming by. The library find anything new?”

Trex chittered softly, his hole-filled tail slapping the ground.

“Just a few ‘borrowed’ scrolls from a dig site near Zebrica. Tomb thieves, completely legal to harvest.”

“You don’t have to justify yourself,” Night Reader snorted.

Trex matched his snort, leaning into the head pats and opening his mouth, a light pink mist flowing away from the blue unicorn’s chest fluff.

“Unless ponies are weaker than I thought, you are receiving the same interrogation I am every time we meet. You are a scribe for the princess. I would not be surprised if a guard was watching us right now.”

“You mean like Petra when I come to visit?” Night Reader looked around, scanning the crowds for anypony that looked abnormally normal… there. Teal hat, dark pink mane, red sunglasses, and plush pink fur. Night Reader waved at the earth pony and called out to her.

“Hi Clover!”

The mare’s groan cut through the crowded square and she slammed down the newspaper she’d been “reading”, quickly storming through the crowd and stopping in front of him with an open scowl.

“Stop doing that!” she snapped. “Captain Storm Wind is already making me take extra disguise classes because of you.”

Trex finally peeled away from the hug and smiled at the guardspony.

“If it’s any comfort, I wouldn’t have noticed you if it weren’t for the glasses. I would go with a light color to match your hat. It is less conspicuous.”

“I don’t need your advice!” Clover snapped at the bug.

“You don’t want disguise advice… from a changeling?”

Night Reader’s ears immediately pinned to the side of his head as the mare snarled at him.

“I didn’t ask you!” She paused and huffed for a few seconds, then looked back to Trex.

“What shade?” she snarled.

Trex shied away, his voice at a squeak.

“Azure.”

Night Reader also shrank as the mare’s gaze snapped in his direction.

“We’re still seeing Maresplosion, tonight! I’m getting extra popcorn, what candy do you want?”

The words were less a question and more a bellowed order. Night Reader gulped.

“Sour fillies and gummi bugs please.”

The mare’s demeanor immediately shifted as she gave a smile that could melt snow with its warmth and giggled.

“Mixed together, right? A perfect balance of sweet and sour.” She darted forward and kissed his cheek, causing him to flush red. “Is the eight o’clock start time okay?”

Night Reader bobbed his head, completely speechless, his brain-misfiring in confusion. Clover giggled again and gave him a wink.

“See you then cutie. Don’t be late.”

Then she was gone, taking off at a jog, curving off toward the shopping district of Canterlot. Night Reader watched her go with a slack jaw, as did Trex. The bug was first to recover, and he prodded Night Reader’s side.

“Hey, you didn’t tell me you had a marefriend! I would have gotten you a love containment ring.”

“Ponies don’t need those Trex,” Night Reader mumbled. “And I didn’t know I had one either. She just asked me to the movies yesterday…” He blushed and held a hoof to his cheek. A goofy smile spread across his muzzle as he looked to his changeling friend. “You think she likes me?”

Trex rolled his eyes.

“I have told you before I am not your personal love detector, but yes. She was one of four mares from your lengthy personal retelling that the love calculator said would produce maximum results-”

“So you did put my auto-biography through that stupid machine!”

Trex raised his muzzle indignantly.

“We are friends, I am trying to make sure we can stay that way, and that means love profits. Besides, Petra and I feed you, don’t we?”

“Does that mean you set this up?” Night Reader slumped slightly. “Aw, does Clover not actually like me? It has been awhile since guard camp…”

His skull made a thunk sound as a chitinous hoof smacked against it. He winced and rubbed the spot as Trex scowled at him.

“What did I say about self-deprecation?” Trex growled. “I told you I do not like it!” He drew a newspaper from his saddlebags and rolled it up, brandishing it at the tall unicorn. “Now you quit that, or I am going to keep smacking you until you have a wonderful date with your ideal love partner.”

Night Reader stared at him for a long moment, and Trex stared back, the newspaper hanging threateningly in the air.

“… so is that a yes?”

The newspaper immediately bapped his head.

“No! No personal interference rule!” Bap bap bap “Now quit stalling and tell me why we are here or I will start giving you dating advice, starting with the proper forms to contain love waste while br-”

Night Reader stole the newspaper and smacked the bug with it, sending him sprawling.

“No!”

Trex rolled to a stop on his belly and glared up at Night Reader.

“What? I was just going to talk about bringing your mare to meet your parents. Is that not a significant part of pony culture too?”

Night Reader’s cheeks flushed with embarrassment, but with no urge to dwell on what he thought the bug had been hinting at, he instead tossed the newspaper away and looked toward their destination.

“Right, so, to business! Why I brought you here-”

“That does not answer my question-”

“-was to join me for this!” Night Reader thundered on, pulling a flier from his crimson scarf. With a flick of his magic, the flier unrolled in Trex’s face. The changeling recoiled, his eyes flicking across the page.

“Models wanted for Fantastic Fashion Finale of Fall Season,” he read aloud. “And then there is a silly picture of a mare in a dress and a sunhat.” His eyes narrowed. “What a waste of cloth. Too much flowing, not enough pockets.”

The newspaper smacked the back of his head.

“Not the point buggo,” Night said cheerfully. He tapped a hoof on the bottom of the flyer. “Look here, it says no couples!”

Trex raised an eyebrow.

“And?”

“And, that means we won’t have competition you silly bug.” Night Reader turned the flyer around, his muzzle shining with a smile. “Apparently it’s the “power of friendship” lineup or something, but what’s important is that not only are they paying five-hundred bits per pony for a successful shoot, but we get to keep the scarves!”

His brilliant smile shifted to the changeling and he bounced slightly in place.

“Isn’t that exciting?”

Trex looked at him with a deadpan look on his muzzle.

“Truly, I have not wasted a weekend of leave.”

He turned around, as if to go to the train station, but Night Reader grabbed his tail in his magic and dragged him along through the streets.

“Come on buggo, I already booked an appointment!”

Trex hissed, trying to pull the opposite way, and failing spectacularly.

“I did not come here to be dressed up like a doll! I came to feast on love and sit with an acquaintance!” He tripped as he was dragged backward over an uneven set of flagstones. Hitting the dirt, he rolled over and flailed, hissing at the unicorn happily dragging him along. “Let me go you pony wretch! I’ll rip out all of that stupid pony fluff and use it to make a coat!”

Night Reader continued to ignore the familiar threats and pulled Trex toward their destination, more than happy to ignore the multitude of stares falling on the ranting changeling. If anything, he was glad for the changeling’s outburst. Anything to separate him from the prudes of Canterlot’s “nobility”. Really, if he didn’t love the city’s filled-to-the-seams libraries and his friendship with a certain solar princess, he would imagine he’d have tried to sneak into a changeling hive to hang out with Trex more. The bat and the gryphon always visited the bug anyway…

Trex let out a particularly loud huff that caused Night Reader to pause, and the blue unicorn glanced back at the yellow-eyed bug.

“Yes?”

Trex crossed his forelegs.

“To begin, you are being rude, stop it. Second, stop feeling sad, it tastes awful. Third, why are we doing this? Neither you nor I are hurting for bits.”

Night Reader felt a touch more wilted as he shrugged.

“I dunno. Thought it would be fun to go with my best bug?” He sighed and looked forward. “But if you really don’t want to…”

The groan was loud as Trex rolled to his hooves.

“Again with the guilt-tripping and sad pony face, stop it!” He stomped up to Night Reader, his muzzle scrunched and his brows furrowed. He jabbed a hoof at Night Reader’s nose. “No more of that frowning out of you! You know well that I like when you make me do things out of my comfort zone, silly they often are, so stop that pouting and show me this ridiculous event of yours before I change my mind.” He emphasized the last three words by booping Night Reader’s muzzle each time.

Night Reader’s muzzle scrunched, but his smile returned and he met Trex’s irritated gaze.

“You know in some cultures, booping is considered a marriage-”

He squeaked as the newspaper smacked his head.

“I do know, because you already told me that same silly joke, now march!”

Night Reader happily complied, waving his hoof at the shop they had stopped in front of.

“We’re already here!”

Trex looked to the shop front, then back to Night Reader, then to the shop front again. He snorted and stomped a hoof at Night Reader.

“Then what was all that pouting? Why the sadness if we are already here?”

Night Reader stuck his tongue out.

“Cause I like seeing my best buggo friend at work, and you make an adorable face when you’re being a good friend.”

He nodded toward the shop’s door.

“Now in your own words; “march”.”

Trex scowled at him, then turned toward the door, grumbling under his breath.

“Stupid unterart pony. Degenerate, over-fluffy, silly pony with silly pony fluff, that I can ignore and will not let the stupid pony talk me into…”

He paused, glancing back to find Night Reader right behind him and smiling knowingly. As blush filled his black, buggy cheeks, and he swatted a hoof at the blue unicorn.

“Would you stop that and get us introduced? Everything with you is a scene, I swear I don’t know why I keep coming here.”

Night Reader winked and strode past the changeling.

“Love you too snuggle bug.”

Trex continued to grumble as they entered the shop. A small bell rang overhead as the door opened, then shut, and the pair looked around. The boutique was the standard for Canterlot, which was to say it was filled with suits and dresses befitting the city’s noble class. Trex’s muzzle immediately curled in a disgusted snarl, and he turned around, only stopping as Night Reader yanked his tail again with his magic, pulling him toward the front desk.

His hoof fell on the desk’s bell, and a short ring seemed to echo through the quiet store. Trex continued to grumble under his breath as they waited.

“Stupid pony coming to a deserted store. Be lucky to get one bit out of this cheap, tacky place, let alone five-hundred.”

Night Reader glanced back.

“And scarves.”

“I don’t want a scarf!” Trex snarled.

An amber unicorn poked her head out from a set of curtains leading deeper into the store, and she smiled warmly.

“I thought I heard somepony! Are you Mr. Ivory’s one o’clock? Mr. Night Reader, and ah…” She paused and looked to a small notepad in her hoof. She squinted at the second name. “Mr. T-rex?”

“It’s Trex!”

“We are!” Night Reader said cheerfully, overpowering the changeling’s snarling. “My friend and I think we are perfect for Mr. Ivory’s friendship lineup.” He wrapped a hoof around Trex’s withers and pulled the bug close. The changeling’s snarl disappeared, replaced by external discomfort on his muzzle. He leaned away from Night Reader’s chest fluff, but in his eyes, the bug was clearly enjoying once more being pressed against the half-bat unicorn.

The amber unicorn smiled and chuckled, her gaze flicking to Trex.

“Well, you’re certainly a unique pair.” She eyed Night Reader up and down, and her smile brightened just slightly. “And you seem to have a some sense of style, that is a very handsome shade of red.” Night Reader puffed up with pride as the mare looked toward Trex. “I don’t know about you though Mr. Trex. I mean, gray?”

“It’s a cost effective uniform color that doesn’t stand out on the battlefield! This is a royal gr-”

“Ms. Needle!” a voice cried from behind the curtain. “Why am I hearing idle chatter, when I am supposed to be creating art?”

A spindly, silver-maned unicorn strutted from behind the curtain, wriggling his nose to keep his lightly-tinted glasses in their proper place. He scowled at the amber unicorn, his tail flicking back and forth in visible irritation.

“Ms. Sewing Needle, I have told you time and again that art does not wait on pleasantries. What is the time?”

She glanced at a clock on the wall.

“It’s twelve forty-eight in the afternoon Mr. Ivory. I was greeting your one o’clock.”

He huffed, but nodded.

“Then I apologize. You are early, and I appreciate your drive to beginning the art as soon as possible.” He turned, his eyes matching the silver in his mane. “Gentlecolts, I assume you know why you are here?”

Night Reader opened his mouth to respond, but the gray unicorn waved a hoof, his eyes focusing on Trex.

“Shush assistant, the big colts are talking.”

Night Reader blinked in bewilderment, looked toward Sewing Needle.

“I don’t know if I should be offended or happy that he’s being nice to Trex.”

“Mr. Ivory has that effect on ponies,” the mare giggled.

“Cease your prattling chatter!” Ivory snapped. His horn lit up, but failed to grasp anything, and he stomped his hoof, his muzzle turning to the ceiling as he let out a frustrated cry. “Ms. Needle, where is my newspaper?”

“You threw it at the last set of models because they turned out to be married.”

“Brutes and thieves, I was right to throw them out!” Ivory ranted. “My lineup is the Fall Friendship collection, not the “Loving and Caring Three Year and Going Strong Marriage” collection!” He stomped his hoof again, his head snapping this way and that. “How am I supposed to discipline you without my newspaper?”

Trex had a look of awe on his muzzle as he drew out his newspaper with his magic.

“You can have mine, sir.”

Ivory immediately smiled and waved a hoof at the changeling.

“See? A true professional, always prepared!” He bowed his head as he took the newspaper. “Thank you, good Master Trex. We shall make great things, I think.”

The newspaper immediately curled, then smacked Night Reader and Sewing Needle, the former on the muzzle, and the latter on the top of her head. Night Reader let out a snort of discomfort as his muzzle scrunched up, then flinched back as the newspaper waved in his face.

“No more out of you! Let your fashionable friend do the talking!” Ivory’s muzzle curled in distaste as he eyed the blue unicorn up and down. “Bright red, so bland, so standard. I suppose it works with your dark coat, but it could be better!”

“Actually, I like the red,” Trex said, taking back his newspaper and tucking it away in his saddlebags. “It makes this big soft goober easier to pick out in a crowd so I can strike him for his frequent insolence.”

Ivory hummed thoughtfully and re-scanned Night Reader.

“Indeed… Sewing Needle, take down a note to find you a scarf in bright colors. Your insolence too often slips away…” He smiled as the mare wrote his words down on her notepad. “But regardless of that, we are here for purpose! Come my new models, let’s get you fitted!”

Trex yelped as the unicorn’s magic dragged him away from Night Reader’s side. He quickly found himself pressed against the side of the far thinner and less fluffy Ivory as the gray unicorn walked him behind the curtain. Night Reader made to follow, but Sewing Needle stopped him with a hoof.

“Sorry Mr. Reader, but we’ll need to fill out all the paperwork required for being models of the ever stylish Mr. Ivory.”

Night Reader let out a light sigh, but nodded.

“Of course. You said he was like this often? I can’t imagine this is a fun job.”

“It has its moments,” Sewing Needle said, leading him back toward the desk, where she drew out a stack of papers and a quill. “He’s a good boss though, and he does good work. Most of the cheapskates in this town pay in college credit. Mr. Ivory pays that, salary, and full medical, and he offered the loft bedroom in case I didn’t want to travel to work.”

“Sounds like my old library gig,” Night Reader said, looking over the first sheet before signing his name, followed swiftly by forging Trex’s. It was amazing what one could learn by stealing a few unimportant reports, and it was so useful whenever he needed to renew his hive visitation pass. He turned over the page and grunted as he combed through it. “What’s the questionnaire?”

“Oh!” Sewing Needle squeaked. She dipped below the desk, then popped back up, letting another stack of papers flop onto the flattop. She smiled as he continued dutifully filling out the forms. “Alrighty, we’ve got quite a few to get through, especially with the new edition.”

“New edition?” He waved her on. “Go ahead, I can multi-task.”

Sewing Needle hummed and nodded.

“Just a few new questions due to the last models.” She dragged over a stool and sat down, straightening as she readied her quill. “Question one; Are you and Mr. Trex married?”

Night Reader’s muzzle spread in a slow, mischievous grin and he glanced toward the curtain.

“Well…”

“We are most certainly not!” Trex bellowed, sticking his head through the curtains. He fixed Night Reader with a glare as something seized his tail and slowly dragged him backward. The blue unicorn chuckled and looked back toward the paperwork.

“No, just friends.”

Sewing Needle recorded the answer, then continued.

“Question two, have you or are you considering getting married…

Half an hour later, Night Reader had to admit, the shopkeepers were very thorough about their vetting. More than likely as a result of the last models that attempted to participate in the promotion. Still, he could tell the paperwork was coming to its end as Sewing Needle turned over the last page and rattled off the last question.

“And finally, have you or your friend ever plotted, schemed, or participated in actions against the Equestrian crown?”

“I haven’t, but Trex has done plenty of plotting,” Night Reader answered honestly. “He’s a royal secretary to Queen Chrysalis.”

He bit his lip, briefly wondering if he should have lied as Sewing Needle scribbled down his answer, but a smile decorated her muzzle and she popped from her seat, collecting all of the paperwork as she nodded him toward the curtain.

“Believe it or not, that’s probably going to work in your favor. Mr. Ivory doesn’t like the princesses because they don’t like wearing scarves.” The pair passed through the curtain and into a spacious workshop, with mannequins wearing all sorts of fancy, brilliant colored scarfs and other neckwear.

“I mean, they have the big neck things.” Night Reader mimed with his hoof. “Those are pretty, and I’m sure they’re significant emotionally to the princesses. Aren’t those things hundreds of years old?”

“It is garish, yoke-styled, peytral from an uncivilized time!” Ivory hissed, storming up to Sewing Needle and snatching away the paperwork, pressing his glasses up as he combed through the survey. “Such beautiful princesses and they are wearing disgusting, centuries out of date regalia! They do it to intentionally shame and belittle me!”

“I’m sure it’s not personal…”

Ivory suddenly appeared in the blue unicorn’s face, waving the papers around in the air.

“It is! I’ve tried to get them to change, for even one season to a more fashionable royal attire, but did they agree? Did they wear a taste of my art? No! They insisted that they wear those hideous things to “remember their roots”, and “keep in touch with the common ponies” as if the common ponies don’t wear scarves and bandannas!”

Night Reader leaned back as spittle from the ranting gray unicorn threatened to hit his eyes. He looked toward Sewing Needle for help, only to find the amber mare nodding along, a goofy smile plastered on her muzzle, almost as if she was glad she wasn’t on the receiving end of the rant this time around, or perhaps she agreed with the rant. Trex simply looked relieved from his place on a pedestal, likely on the receiving of end of the same flavor of rant. A golden scarf drew Night Reader’s eyes down, however, and it was the perfect excuse he needed to halt the gray unicorn’s ranting.

“Gold? Why gold?” Night Reader asked, intentionally speaking loud enough to over power the fashion designer still bellowing in his face.

His distraction worked perfectly and a bored, mildly irritated calm re-consumed Ivory. He let out a huff and rubbed a hoof down his shirt, straightening out a few wrinkles.

“Gold is a symbol of royalty, grace, and power, and Mr. Vyrax has all three in spades, more than some plebeian like yourself.”

Night Reader blinked.

“Ouch. So much for unicorns standing together.”

Ivory rolled his eyes.

“Please, half-unicorn. Don’t think those tufts are hidden, and while your people are known for being stalwart guardians, and magnificent huggers,” he mumbled under his breath “you are not so unique that Canterlot won’t spit you out in the dirt. I’m being kind by bracing you for it.”

Night Reader was torn between defending himself and puffing up with pride. He elected to do both. Glancing toward Trex, he said;

“Hear that? I’m a magnificent hugger.”

While the changeling rolled his eyes, Night Reader immediately scowled and jabbed a hoof at Ivory.

“And hey! I’m the one who saw this little ad of yours, cause I’m the Canterlot local. I work for Princess Celestia!”

Ivory rolled his eyes.

“I’m sure. And where were you born?”

“Canterl-”

“Raised here as well?”

Night Reader’s scowl deepened slightly.

“Mostly in Ponyville.”

Ivory huffed lightly, but he didn’t seem all that irritated with the answer.

“It shows. Fret not, I will not throw you into the streets, especially not with a star like Mr. Vyrax here.”

“I am a changeling,” Trex said. “How am I more welcome than one of your own?”

Ivory’s muzzle curled into a smile and he trotted up to the stage, his hooves suddenly making grand, sweeping motions.

“Because you are a star! I can feel the power, the ego of a professional model flowing off of you! You are a member of a queen’s court! That’s better than some backstabber working for the sun princess and her plow-horse attire.”

Night Reader immediately let out a string of chittered curses in thestral that caused Trex’s eyebrows to raise.

“KeEEEekKEEEkKeeeEekKeeEEekKkKekKEEEkKeeeeekKEEEEkKeeEEekKEeeeekKeeEEekKEEEekKEEEEkKkKekKeeEEekKeeEeekKEEEkKeeeeekKEEeEkKeeEEekKEEEekKEeEkKeeeeekKEEkKeeEEekKEekKkKEkKeEkKeeEEekKeeEkKEEekKeeEEekKEEEEkKeeekKeEkKeeEEekKEekKEEeEkKEEEkKEEekKEEEEk,kKeeEEekKEEEEkKeeekKeEkKEEekKeeEEekKeeeeekKEEEekKeEkKeeEEekKEeEkKeeEeekKeeEEekKEeEkKkKEEekKEEkKEEEkKeeEEekKkKEeekKEeekKEEEkKeeeEekKkKEEekKEkKeEkKeeEEekKEekKEEEkKEEeEkKeeEEekKEEEEkKeeekKeEkKeeEEekKEeEkKEEEkKEEekKEEEEkKeeekKeeEEekKEEEEkKEEEkKeeEEekKEEEkKEEekKEeekKeeEeekKeeEEekKEkKEEEkKEeEkKEeEkKeeEkKEEEekKeeEkKEEEkKEEekKeeEEekKeeEeekKEEEkKeEEkKeEkKEEEekKeeEEekKEekKEEeEkKEEEkKEeEkKeeEEekKeeEeekKEEEkKeeeeek,kKeeEEekKeeEeekKEEEkKeeeeekKeeEEekKEEEekKeEEkKeeEkKEEekKEEekKeeEeek,kKeeEEekKeeeeekKeeeEkKEEEEkKeeEkKEEkKeeekKEEEEk,kKeeEEekKEEkKEeekKkKEEEekKEEEekKeEkKEEEekKeeEEekKeeeEekKeEkKkKEEeEkKeeEkKEEekKEEk,kKeeEEekKEEekKEEEk-kKEekKkKEEEekKeeekKeeEkKEEEkKEEekKeeEEekKeeekKkKeeeeEkKeeEkKEEekKEEk,kKeeEEekKeeeEekKeeEkKEEekKEEkKEeekKeEkKEEEekKEEEek,kKeeEEekKEkKkKeeeeEkKeEk-kKEekKEeekKEEEkKEEEkKEEeEkKeeEEekKEEEekKEkKEEeEkKeeeeekKekKekKeeEkKEEekKEEk,kKeeEEekKEEeEkKEEEkKEEEEkKEEEEkKeEkKEEekKeeEEekKEekKEEeEkKeeeeekKeeEkKEEEEkKeeEEekKEkKkKEEeEkKEkKkKEEEekKEEEek!”

Ivory, for his part looked completely un-phased by the ranting half-bat, still smiling at Trex.

“Now, we just need to get you a fashionable pair of glasses, and then you shall strike the pose to spread my name across Equestria!

As he spun away and started rifling through a stack of boxes labeled “Shades”, Sewing Needle laid a hoof over Night Reader’s withers and nudged him toward the pedestal.

“Sorry about that,” she whispered. “I’ve been working at him, but… well, you live here. You know how the nobles are.”

“Oughta ship him back with Trex, that’ll teach em,” Night Reader grumbled. He shook himself, trying to recover his happy attitude. The cloth around Trex’s neck served as an excellent distraction, and he offered a smile that slowly became genuine. “That gold does really look good on you buggo. Matches your eyes.”

Trex huffed and looked away, an embarrassed blush touching his cheeks.

“Hush you. I look silly, and feel sillier. What does Mr. Ivory mean by pose?”

Night Reader looked toward the ceiling in thought, sticking his tongue out while thinking on how best to describe posing to the paperwork minded changeling.

“It’s… a pose!” he shrugged. He looked toward changeling, grinning at his deadpan expression. “You’ve posed for photos before, its just that, but add a little energy instead of a straight face.” He spread his hooves slightly, then held one under his chin and smiled. “Something like this, just whatever feels natural.”

“Pose!” the gray unicorn cried as he danced back over. In his magic sat a pair of golden tinted sunglasses, which he set on Trex’s nose. The changeling wriggled his muzzle in discomfort, trying to get used to the feel of the new addition while Ivory turned to Night Reader with a second set of glasses. His smile faded only slightly this time as he eyes the tall unicorn up and down.

“That is actually a fairly common pose amongst my typical models. Have you done training before?”

“Nope!” Night Reader chirped with a shake of his head. “Just see them a lot. I’m a journalist, I get around.”

Ivory’s muzzle curled slightly.

“And have you ever reviewed my wears?”

Night Reader scoffed.

“I’m a royal journalist Mr. Ivory. I go to battlefields and ballrooms, and of the two, I’d rather be shot at. Still, I’ve met many models in ballrooms, they’re usually nicer to talk to. Less of a chip on their shoulders.” He tilted his head and rolled his eyes. “Mostly.”

Ivory nodded slowly, his grimace fading as he again eyed Night Reader up and down.

“You are less than half unicorn,” he said aloud. “Draft horse on your father’s side?”

Night Reader blinked.

“That’s right, my grandfather. How’d you know?”

This time, Ivory scoffed and he nodded at Sewing Needle, who gently took away Night Reader’s scarf and folded it.

“I am a professional, it’s my job to know. You are clearly more bat than unicorn, so one parent was full-blooded thestral. You’re rather large for a unicorn, so clearly earth pony somewhere in the line, and a rather large one for it to show prominently.”

He paced a circle around the blue unicorn, then clicked his tongue.

“It is a complicated series of features that might clash with my designs.” He let out another scoff and ran a hoof through his mane. “Still, I shall make it work. At least you already know a color that matches your coat. Ms. Needle! Autumn leaf red, if you will.”

The mare quickly darted into a maze of boxes, and after the sound of a loud crash, through which Ivory remained perfectly undisturbed, the mare trotted back out with a brilliant red scarf in her magic. She smiled at Night Reader, silently asking for permission. Night Reader matched her smile and gave a slight nod, and she unfurled the scarf, setting it around his neck. It was a touch longer than his normal scarf, and it was plush with newness, where his normal one was starting to become thin with age.

Ivory let out a snort of satisfaction as Night Reader happily felt his new scarf.

“I take it my wears are to your liking?”

Night Reader nodded, meeting the gray unicorn’s eyes with a bright grin.

“This is definitely a scarf I could wear to court, maybe formal functions-”

He yelped as the newspaper smacked his head.

“No! This is a fall scarf for outdoor occasions! It is made of the plushest wool-cotton mixture to achieve maximum warmth, durability, and fashion-ability!” He swatted Night Reader’s hoof away from the scarf, then placed the glasses on his nose. “Now up with you Mr. Reader, and don’t insult my scarf again! This is brilliant outdoor wear, not for those snooty goblins with their balls and dresses!”

Night Reader chuckled and bowed.

“Of course, apologies. I shall reserve this scarf specifically for picnics with my friends.”

The newspaper again smacked his mane and magic pushed on his rump, forcing him forward.

“Don’t patronize me! Up!”

Night Reader continued to chuckle as the gray unicorn nudged him onto the pedestal. Hopping up beside Trex, Night Reader flashed him a fanged grin and patted his withers.

“Relax buggo, you look tense, and this is supposed to be fun!”

“How?” Trex hissed. “I look ridiculous, and you expect me to put on some “pose”,” he spat the word with scathing venom, as if it was the worst thing to happen in changeling history, “for a picture. Can I not simply look stoic?”

Night Reader scoffed.

“Don’t be silly buggo, just relax, try to smile, and put a hoof up to frame you face!” Night Reader grinned and crossed his foreleg across his chest. “Like so!”

“Incorrect!” Ivory said. “Do not listen to Mr. Reader, Mr. Vyrax. Your pose must come from your heart, from your very soul!”

Night Reader wilted slightly.

“Aw, I thought my pose was pretty good.”

Ivory glanced at him.

“It is passable, and it will serve to highlight my scarves, but Mr. Vyrax must come up with his own pose. It will look unnatural otherwise.”

Trex let out a whine.

“But I don’t know how to pose! Changeling society doesn’t have these expectations! We are very open with one another, to ensure no love is lost in silly interactions! Stoic is the changeling’s natural state.”

“Then use that stoicism to pose!” Ivory called, waving his hoof in the air. “Ms. Needle, the camera. Let’s begin.”

Trex let out another light whine and he looked to Night Reader.

“How do you think I should look?”

The blue unicorn smiled and gave him a nudge.

“Just relax and do what makes you feel comfortable buggo. Just keep it simple.”

“Eyes here gentlecolts!” Ivory said.

Trex and Night Reader looked toward the spindly gray unicorn. Sewing Needle stood behind a tall camera and removed the lens cap, ready to take the picture. Ivory moved forward a step, motioning with his fore-hooves.

“Now, I think standing back to back will be best, as it will spread the colors of the scarves out.” Night Reader turned around and stepped back until he was rump to rump with Trex. Ivory gave a nod. “Excellent. Now, Mr. Reader, I liked your previous pose, it was extremely casual, just the kind of behavior I need to promote my fall line.”

Night Reader grinned and crossed one hoof across his foreleg. Ivory looked him up and down, then nodded again.

“Sufficient. Mr. Vyrax?”

Trex shuffled in place, a frown on his muzzle.

“I don’t know what a pose is, and I don’t smile! Smiling is unbecoming a changeling.”

Night Reader snorted.

“Please, you smile all the time when we snuggle. Just imagine you’re wrapped in a big, fluffy bat hug-”

The newspaper drifted over and began repeatedly smacking the blue unicorn’s head while Trex stared at a point on the ceiling, a blush definitely not filling his cheeks.

“Stupid pony with his stupid fluff, stupid bringing it up with other ponies nearby. I ought to drain you dry and leave you in the street.”

As Trex grumbled, Ivory frowned and tapped his chin.

“Take a few shots Ms. Needle, but I don’t think friends embarrassing friends is what will truly show the friendship my scarves bring, although I will say, I think Canterlot could benefit seeing a ridiculous pony getting properly disciplined.”

Night Reader glanced back at Trex and waggled his eyebrows.

“Hear that Trex? You’re disciplining me. Should we set a safe word?”

The next swipe of the newspaper slapped his nose.

“I will eat you!” Trex barked, slapping Night Reader’s head over and over again with the newspaper.

Night Reader winked and stuck out his tongue as he weathered the flurry of blows.

“Sticks and stones buggo, I know we’ll hug and make up.”

A frustrated hiss left the changeling’s muzzle and he continued to smack Night Reader with the newspaper. The camera clicked as Sewing Needle took more shots and Ivory continued to think. As Night Reader continued to show no regret for his words, Trex let out a huff and turned away.

“You are utterly ridiculous and I don’t know why I tolerate you.”

“That’s it!” Ivory cried. Trex flinched back in alarm as the gray unicorn suddenly jumped into his face. “That’s the attitude you must channel to let your true stardom shine through! This is below you, below your station! Here you are paired with some lowly-half breed bat pony-”

“Hey!”

“-doing a photo shoot for something as silly as an Equestrian fashion line! Use that thought, show your disdain, show your apathy!”

“Um, Mr. Ivory, how does that show off friendship?” Sewing Needle asked.

Ivory waved a hoof in her direction.

“Because everyone knows that friends come best in pairs! There is always an assistant and a master-”

“Master Trex, now there’s a title I could get used to using,” Night Reader said.

“I will eat your tongue!” Trex snapped, jabbing a hoof at the unicorn.

“Unf, Master Trex is gonna put my tongue in his mouth? Dreams really do come true,” Night Reader teased.

“I will shave you bald and make a coat! Then I won’t need your filthy pony snuggles!”

Night Reader frowned.

“Aw, but you lose some of the warmth that way.”

“And Night Owl can provide, so cease or I refuse to hug you for a month!”

Night Reader crossed his hooves and pouted.

“Spoilsport.”

Ivory took over the newspaper and smacked them both.

“As I was saying, there is always an assistant and a master, one who is all smiley, and happy, and gay, and the other who is stoic, serious, and level-headed.”

“Gay does seem to fit you, Night,” Trex chortled.

Night Reader didn’t say anything, just looked back and grinned. Trex’s smile immediately fell and he looked away.

“Nevermind, you’re right, too far. That gives you far too many avenues of attack.”

“Mhm,” Night Reader agreed. “Let’s leave it there, or I make a call to the red-head.”

“It’s not like I wouldn’t like seeing him, its just that, the two of you…” He shivered. “I can’t walk for days. Too much love. Too much hugging.”

“Well, I’ve tried to invite Petra as well, but she’s still getting used to the whole “ponies in a hive that aren’t hive spies” deal. Maybe this time we can try snuggling with the three of us, then-”

Ahem.”

Night Reader glanced back at a glowering Ivory, and he chuckled.

“Sorry.”

“You are not,” Ivory deadpanned. “Now, you are the happy one, Mr. Trex is the stoic one. Remain happy. Mr. Trex, pose. Remember, this is beneath you. Channel that.” He hopped off the pedestal and stood beside Sewing Needle. “Now, pose gentlecolts!”

Night Reader again fell easily into his pose. Trex stood frozen still, his mind racing with what he should do. He felt ridiculous, Night Reader was being the usual pest, and for some reason he was hot! He tugged at the scarf and glanced back toward his unicorn friend. Was this really the reason he’d been dragged away from the hive? A silly photo for a silly pony magazine for silly pony clothes? He was sure Ivory was just talking him up for show, but frankly, this was beneath him. He couldn’t believe he’d been tricked into something so ludicrous.

Night Reader waited patiently, easily able to keep his smile up. He had plenty of practice at ceremonies and dances… so many dances. He didn’t like suits. A scarf was simple. Functional and fashionable, and his had pockets. He certainly enjoyed that now his best bug friend was going to have a scarf to match. Changeling hives were intentionally dull clothing wise, so a nice splash of color was going to be perfect!

He stood up straighter as the room seemed to glow. A wind blew his tail across his body, and were it not for the sunglasses on his muzzle, he imagined that he would have needed to squint. He faintly heard the click of the camera shutter, and he took that as an all clear to look back. As he turned, Night Reader felt his jaw drop as he beheld Trex in all his dramatic glory. A faint sneer touch his muzzle, and the yellow-tinted glasses on his face had fallen slightly to rest on the tip of his nose, as if he was looking down on all before him. His aura blew his tail in the opposite direction, and the slight tug on his golden scarf completed the magnificent pose. Night Reader could only stare as waves of power rolled over him, threatening to blow him off the pedestal. The stacks of boxes and half-completed mannequins weren’t so lucky, and they were easily shoved away by the power, the majesty of the changeling’s mighty posing.

It was the sound of a falling body that jarred everyone free of the magnificent pose. Trex watched as Ivory collapsed, fainting onto his side without a word. He winced, and the spell was broken. He rubbed the back of his head and glanced at Night Reader, who continued to stare at him, slack jawed.

“Did I do that poorly?”

He let out a squeak of panic as the blue unicorn pounced on him, scooping him up and hugging him tight into his chest fluff. Trex squirmed in his grasp.

“Let go of me degenerate filth! I am not your snuggle buddy!”

Night Reader hugged him tighter and rested his chin on the changeling’s head, taking care not to get near his sharp, curved horn.

“You’re still no good at lying buggo.”

Trex squealed and his newspaper repeatedly smacked into the back of Night Reader’s head.

“I will put you in a pod you insolent fluff ball! I will shave you bald!” When Night Reader failed to react, he let out a scree of anger. “Let me go!”

Night Reader chuckled and weathered the flurry of blows. “I guess you were right Mr. Ivory, Trex is a natural model!”

He glanced down toward the pair of unicorns only to find the gray designer completely passed out on the floor, his jaw slack and his leg twitching. Beside him, Sewing Needle was frozen with her mane and tail standing on end. Her eyes were wide, and the camera looked like it was moments away from falling to pieces. Night Reader giggled and waved at the mare, trying to stop her thousand yard stare.

“Did you get it? Was Trex too much?”

Ivory sprang to life, shoving Sewing Needle aside. The mare let out a yelp and fell into a stack of fallen sweaters. The manic gray unicorn snatched up the camera and sprinted for the door.

“I must have this developed before it spoils!” he cried, tearing through the curtain without a care in the world other than the camera and the single image hidden within.

The sound of a bell tinkling notified them that he was gone, and Night Reader looked to Sewing Needle.

“I assume that means we get to keep the scarves?”

The mare’s head poked out from the sweater pile, and she looked around the destroyed boutique. Letting out a sigh, she nodded and flopped back.

“We’ll be in contact with the rest of your pay. Feel free to keep the sunglasses too. I’m… I’m just gonna lay here for a few minutes.”

Night Reader chuckled and looked toward the glowering changeling in his hooves.

“See? That wasn’t so bad, and you were a natural! Modeling might even be your special talent!”

Trex’s scowl deepened and he crossed his hooves.

“I am not some frail little pony, so I do not have a special talent. Even if I did, I would not be a model! What a silly profession if I am naturally so adept at it.”

“First, you’re smaller than the average mare, so I don’t think “little pony” is gonna work buggo.”

“I-”

“And second, want to go get some ice cream? I really did enjoy doing this with you buggo. Thanks for bearing it and coming along!”

Trex’s muzzle flapped and he looked up at the fluffy blue half-bat. A genuinely bright smile was his reply, often present, and always earnest, and always oozing with the silly pony’s love. As per usual, the silly pony and his silly pony things were spilling love into the air, and he took a drink, sighing in satisfaction. The pony was ridiculous, his ideas embarrassing, but… He glanced down at his shimmering gold scarf, enjoyed the sensation as he rubbed it with his hoof. It would be useful for visiting his friends in gryphonia…

He sighed and nodded, making Night Reader’s smile widen.

“It is no problem, as per usual my batty friend. Ice cream sounds wonderful, but no hug-”

The last of his words were lost as Night Reader let out an excited scree and snatched him up in a hug, to which he offered no protest. He then tossed Trex on his back and sprinted from the boutique and toward the nearest ice cream shop.

Author's Note:

Another extraordinarily late birthday gift for best buggo. Love you Trex!

Comments ( 2 )

Ah,....Finally. The perfect story.

Login or register to comment