• Published 22nd Feb 2023
  • 682 Views, 12 Comments

Too Cool - D-20



Spike shares his favorite passtime with Smolder.

  • ...
3
 12
 682

For School

The sun basked all of Equestria in a warm glow of lustrous light. Clouds drifted lazily upon the horizon while the pale blue sky welcomed all into the promise of a new day. Twilight's schoolyard crowded with eager minds as a faint rumble echoed off in the distance.

A roaring fire was ablaze within the cozy confines of Twilight's illustrious library. Sat upon plush bean bag chairs were two dragons, one purple and the other orange. They let the peaceful silence fill the air, as each clutched a book tightly in their claws. Lost in alternate worlds of adventure and intrigue.

Spike moved his claw to the side, scooping up various gems from a bucket before tossing them into his mouth with a satisfied crunch. Smolder pouted in dismay flipping across multiple pages without even the faintest of glances.

"This is dumb." She allowed a snort of flames to erupt from her nostrils.

Spike simply lowered his book distracted by the overdramatic dragoness. "You say that now, two hours into a reading session? " He chuckled softly with a fanged grin of amusement.

The dragoness scooped the muddy bucket up with her tail, quick to hug it close to her breastplate. "I didn't say the snacks sucked, I said books are dumb." Smolder plunged a claw into the bucket fishing out a succulent red ruby covered in moss.

"What's dumb about visiting new worlds of magic and adventure!?" Spike hugged the novel of his choice closely, clearly excited by his sentiment.

"Hello, we live in a world of magic!" She pointed her claw outside the nearby window as Twilight and her friends fought an outraged group of chimera.

Spike felt his face droop a little before he plucked up a yellow book off the floor."How about a book with a reindeer learning to fly?" A dorky snort escaped his snout with untold glee.

"I flew here, it wasn't great." Smolder rolled her eyes before her head flung back out of pure boredom.

Spike shrugged defeated as he knew this hangout session was dying quickly. "I'm sorry for choosing such a dumb thing to share!" He felt his cheeks burn red in embarrassment for showing his intellectual side.

"Nopony wants to read about Magic, Adventure, or Dragon Princesses!"

Smolder felt her eyes perk up in interest as those words escaped his lips."Dragon Princesses!?" She felt herself nearly squeal girlishly in excitement.

"Ahem, I mean absolutely. " She poked around the many books which littered her surroundings for such a novel.

"What was I thinking seriously!?"

Smolder shifted through a few muddy buckets left on the side of her beanbag."You weren't thinking…" She murmured half-heartedly picking up a wet book on gardening from inside the trash.

"We should've just found a lava pit to relax in."

"Lava's hawt." Smolder stood up to grab a book off the top of the fireplace, sparkling eyes looking disappointed as it turned out to be a potion manual.

"I try to play it cool, but deep down inside I'm just not." Spike frowned as he slumped into his seat deflated.

"Who can in this crazy world?" Smolder spotted a pink book stacked at Spike's side in the middle of a Jenga tower of reading material.

"I just wanted to seem cool, to maybe be like you."

"Yeah, I'm a real ice cube." Smolder let her tongue push out the side of her mouth, claws digging into the book as the tower trembled.

"I just need to remind myself I'm a total loser."

"Abso-arggghhh!" She screamed pulling the book free only to be covered in an avalanche of words and punctuation.

"Smolder, what are you doing!?" Spike tilted his head confused as he watched his friend poke her head out of the gigantic mess of books she imprisoned herself in.

"You got me, I wanted to read…" She flipped the pink book over in her claws.

"Pony Sutra? Ewwwww!" The orange dragoness tossed away the book withholding a small gag of disgust.

Spike felt a smile spread across his snout as a new flame erupted from within his heart."Whoa, you mean you want to read something!?" He chuckled as the dragoness slowly lifted to her feet, blushing.

"Don't rub it in!" She pouted as if ashamed before slinking back towards her seat with a loud plop.

"I'm not making fun of you, I think it's awesome! " Spike felt his voice lift into a joyous uproar.

"Really? " Smolder squeaked out in barely a whisper.

"Yeah, whatcha into? Warriors, Fire Dancing, Warcraft!?" He chuckled at labeling off a series of various cool ideas.

"Dragon Princesses. " Smolder pressed her claws together as both eyes shot to the floor full of anxiety.

Spike smirked at such a wholesome reply from one of the coolest dragons he knew in Equestria. "So am I." He handed over the book he was reading to his older sister welcomingly.

Smolder gasped in absolute excitement as she eagerly flipped open the hardback to a story she felt connected towards. Her eyes would dart to the drake as a warm smile crossed her lips, he never judged or joked about the fact she loved such a girly premise.

Instead, he was simply happy about the fact they had something new to share. That his interest could intertwine and share part of his world with somebody he cared about and looked up to.

She giggled to herself, surprised that such a small dragon was way more mature than she gave him credit for. Perhaps by hanging out with him, she could learn a thing or two about giving unknown experiences a fair chance.

Both would soon relax back into their seats as the warmth from the fireplace engulfed them cozily. A peaceful silence filled the air around them, each allowing themselves to get transported to another world not their own.

Smolder lifted blue eyes from the page momentarily to grab the drake's attention.

"Spike?" She teased.

"Yeah?" He replied politely.

"You're cool in my book."

Comments ( 12 )

lol Spike sure got Smolder good there regarding books! :rainbowlaugh:

Thanks again for another sweet tale with these 2!:moustache::heart:

That was adorable 🌻💗

“Pass time” should be “pastime”. Otherwise, this was cute.

11513190
Thank you for the heads up, downright decent of you.

11513109

11513050
Thank you both for the smiles!

11513480
No problem! Keep on writing!

Smolder felt her eyes perk up in interest as those words escaped his lips."Dragon Princesses!?" She felt herself nearly squeal girlishly in excitement.

Ohh it looks like you found something that she likes lol

"You're cool in my book."

Lol clever but sweet 😊

Okay this was actually a pretty nice story of these two again so Spike wanted to read a book but smolder things it's uncool thinking why should they read books sounds like how Rainbow Dash things until Spike found another way to get her interested and he did found something something she enjoys about a story of a princess Dragon which that's pretty interesting too so basically they just sit there in silence together again I really like it keep up the good work

11514303
Thank you, yeah I love how Smolder has her girly side.

I used to be the same way, act tough and tombiyish, but when I got around flowers and arrangements, I just fell in love with it! :heart:

Login or register to comment