• Published 24th Jan 2023
  • 329 Views, 2 Comments

What's wrong, Twilight? - Sleepy_meep_92



Being an alicorn ruler of Equestria is hard, especially with the downsides of immortality

  • ...
 2
 329

Memories

Author's Note:

{2/5}
Yesss some backstory
[So sorry this took so long!]
[TW; Mentions of death/gore!]-[teen-rate added for this chapter and incoming ones]
[intrusive thoughts!] [other tag added for incoming characters this chapter!]
So this chapter explains some backstory, so be prepared for some sadness! :>
:fluttercry::pinkiesad2::raritydespair::applecry:
Honestly, I wanted this to be one chapter thing to explain most of it, but I was busy this week, and my birthday’s Wendsday! 🎉

So this had to be split T^T
Til’ next time !

-Sleepy_meep_92

It was a beautiful crimson morning, the birds were chirping and the Autumn breeze kicking in, bringing a cold chill to the warm setting. As well as the Twilight was outside with a violet, fluffy knitted sweater, curiosity of Rarity, giving a soft smile at the world as her hair blew in the wind.

“Whatcha doin’?”




The voice startled her, as much as she hated to admit at the moment. She whipped around, only taking a second to move her hair from her preview, as she stared at the anonymous figure with a small smile.

“Hey Pinkie.”

“Hiya!”

The cheerful mare stood upright, her magenta scarf flying in her face, making her spit the cloth out of her mouth, Twilight snorted a little, and Pinkie Pie pointed her hoof at her in a playful ‘offended’ way. Now, both of the mares were enjoying the view of the sunrise, from the comfort of Twilight’s castle, of course, the positive company making Twilight feel warm inside.

After a bit of silence, Twilight decided to break it.

“How’s the bakery?” she asked, turning to pinkie, who looked back and smiled.

“It’s been all good! The baby cake's 5th birthday just finished a few hours ago, I told Mrs. Cake I was gonna go pay you a visit, so she told me to tell you hi!” She retorted, digging into her mane now, grabbing out a medium-serving of Red Velvet cake in a package.

“I was able to snag a piece of cake for you before the twins smashed it,” She let out a dry chuckle, placing the cake in front of Twilight, in which she gratefully lifted with her magic.

After she opened it, Twilight took a few bites, happily giving a satisfied expression each bite, and with a small smirk, nudged Pinkie Pie playfully in the shoulder.

“Your treats never fail to amaze me, y’know?”

The party pony smiled at that. “Just be glad you weren’t Celestia on her birthday all those moons ago, for Equestria’s sake!” She joked, putting herself in a demanding pose and stiffening her hair in a way of the former princess.

“ ‘Please make sure it’s not fondant! And add a bunch of white icing to the top! A bunch of cherries on that cake! I don’t want cheesecake anymore, I want the double-decker cake I always have!.....Oh, and don’t forget the sprinkles!”

Twilight couldn’t help laughing at her silly impressions, which made Pinkie sort-of embarrassed.

“She really did that on her birthday?” She spat, still holding back tears from her laugh attack.

“When she ruled? Most certainly!” Pinkie Pie retreated from her pose by now, still amused by Twilight’s reaction

Twilight recovered from her laughs to give Pinkie Pie a small smile, in which Pinkie gave her own. As the party pony sat back down with the princess, Twilight leaned herself on her dear friend, tearing up as the other placed her own head above hers.

“What’s this for?” Pinkie joked, concern plastered across her face.

“A hug,” the princess whimpered “It’s been so long I've seen you since the princesses..”

“Retired?...I know this whole ‘princess duty’ is tough, but remember that we’re here for you. No matter what Twi.”

The immortal princess kept quiet, she didn’t want to hear it that way, but it was quite obviously true. It’s not like they’d live all eternity, dealing with the hardships of rule anyway, and their duties was her homecoming gift from them.

“Why…can’t I live up to her expectations?...” Twilight whined as she let tears fall from her cheeks, Pinkie frowned, not knowing what to say for a minute, she placed her hoof over hers, sighing as she looked up at the morning light.

“Sometimes…It’s hard dealing with some things, it’s not always easy for everybody Twi.” Pinkie rubbed her back, holding back tears of her own


Rain poured down on the Apple Farm, soiling the crops and wetting the coats and manes of the ponies who stood outside, all covered in black from head to toe, none uttering a word as the Princess lowered her horn, levitating a large bouquet of Lavender and White Poppy flowers over a wooden casket.

In the somber energy, out came a elderly pegasus, sharing the same color scheme with the others, slowly but surely flying her way to the front holding a small book in her hand, turned to the family and the friends, flipping the book open and staring sadly at the crowd.

“Today, "She began, a helpless look plastered on her face. “we mourn the loss of our friend, our grandmother, our companion, my sister…Granny Smith.”

The crowd remained quiet, so she continued.

“She lived a long, happy life, although it ended so quickly, we still cherished the moments that we got to spend with her while we could, and now she’s watching from above.”

Twilight held her head down in shame. She really messed up this time. She never wanted this to happen, none of them did, but now here she is, standing in the midst of ponies who despise her now, and Applejack-
Oh Applejack...

Twilight couldn’t bring herself to look in the face of her right now, but she knew that she was holding back her tears, only getting a glimpse of her sister Applebloom wrapping her hooves around her big sisters neck, soft crying continuously into her sister’s chest.

Stupid! She thought to herself. You’re supposed to be the princess of friendship yet you can’t save anypony you defend! What kind of ruler are you! That should’ve been you!
Why isn’t that you?!
Why isn’t that me?

Twilight jolted at that last one. no, don’t think that-don’t be selfish.
“Twi?”

Twilight looked up from her stare at the ground, to see Applejack next to her, bloodshot eyes and a concerned look on her face.
“You alright?”
Twilight fluffed out her wings and looked at Applejack with worn-down expression.
“I should be asking you that.”
Applejack let out a forced scoff, one that she’s been needing to.
“Don’t make me laugh. You haven’t slept at all since last week.”
Twilight turned her head Infront of her.
“Well how can I? It hasn’t been a good week.”
“I get it, but it’ll get better.”
Twilight stared at Applejack that gave a ‘I don’t believe that one bit’ face. Applejack sighed, and sat next to Twilight, staring at the midnight sky.
“See that right there?” She had pointed to a strange star in the sky to the dusk princess, in which tilted her head in bewilderment.
Catching her gaze, Applejack stopped pointing and instead held back a tear. “Granny told me when she passes, she’ll be the brightest star,” She turned her head Twilight, tears falling down from her cheeks as she gave a shaky smile.

“-so each time the sun leaves, we’d always see ’er with us.”
“AJ...” Twilight was at a loss for words, but all she heard was the tear-wrenched laughs of her dear friend.
“I know...it’s unbelievable,...but I'd like to think of her as that star...the bright ‘est one I’ve seen all night..”


Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment