• Published 24th Jan 2023
  • 329 Views, 2 Comments

What's wrong, Twilight? - Sleepy_meep_92



Being an alicorn ruler of Equestria is hard, especially with the downsides of immortality

  • ...
 2
 329

Remorse

Author's Note:

1/?
Hey y’all!
This is a one-shot chapter, although other chapters are planned, I just wanted to post this one to see how this will turn out for critic-wise ^^

Feedback is recommended!
Thank you to the people whom gave story-written feedback upon my previous work, it helps me figure out what I need to change, so, much appreciated!

“Thank you, your highness!” Luster Dawn shouted while running off to attend some errands.

“Anytime, Luster Dawn!” Twilight Sparkle retorted from her position on the throne, which after she grabbed a scroll from her side and checked off ‘Help Luster Dawn with friendship lessons.’

After she simply sighs and stays on her throne, slumped and just about done with today. Spike comes from around the corner of the room, a platter with two tea cups, a tea kettle and a haycake on top of it. He leans on the throne next to her and pours her some tea in her cup for her to simply waver her magic to slowly grab it out of his claws, and give him a small smile.
“Thanks Spike.”
“Anytime.”
The two are there for a minute, drinking tea and Twilight casually taking bites out of her haycake. It wasn’t until Twilight was pouring herself a third cup of tea that Spike noticed how exhausted she looked. Which made him very concerned, even though it isn’t new that she’d overwork herself from time to time, he notices that she seems to look more tired each passing day. The more he sees her nowadays, the ore it looks like she’s slipping further away from him.
He placed his teacup down on the platter again, and looked at Twilight in concern.
“Twilight, when was the last time you slept?”
Twilight seemed to freeze at that comment, only after a few seconds did she absentmindedly take a couple sips of her tea. “That isn’t important, what really needs attending is the meeting coming about news at the Council Of Friendship-”
Spike placed his claw on her shoulder, and she tensed up as if ready for battle, at Spike let out a sigh.

“Twilight.”
“What? Did I say something wrong?” Twilight was pretty confused, but Spike could tell that she was also nervous, and waiting for a reply from him.
“The council was abandoned, Twilight. They’re...”
He couldn’t finish his sentence. He didn’t want to. For he knew if he did, the mare next to him wouldn’t let him hear the last of it.
But instead of getting an agitated response for ‘bringing it up after she’d forgotten again’, she just simply set her teacup back on the tray, and slowly walked out of the room, and towards her own. Leaving Spike sitting there, unknowing what actions to take next.


Twilight thrusted her door open with a wave of magic so forceful, that it caused a small rumble from the doors colliding with the wall.
She didn’t really care at this moment though.
”Did Spike really need to spit out the obvious?”
She felt Deja Vu rush in. The screams. The Yells. The panicked speeches and the cold. She could feel herself collapse on the floor, covering her face with her front hooves and shaking uncontrollably. Gasps and sobs and tears escaped from her throat, and she just wanted to stay there for the rest of her days.

That was, until she felt a cold sensation on her shoulder.
She lifted her head to the side, only to find a familiar face’s warm smile, her fuchsia mane swaying from the side of her head.
“Hey Pinkie.”
“Don’t ‘Hey Pinkie’ me, I can tell something’s wrong.”
Twilight sat up and smiled, obviously prepared to tell one of her new ways of making sure nobody gets worried for Twilight.
White lies.
“Nothing really, I just haven’t got much sleep like should.”
Seems like that didn’t work like she thought it would, because Pinkie Pie just gives her an agitated and a concerned look.
Twilight doesn’t know how she combined those two.
Pinkie Pie then sighs and sits next to Twilight, wiping remanence of her leftover tears, and, placing one of her hooves around her, giving her a small hug.
“You know, the others would be pretty upset at you putting yourself down like this.”
Twilight chuckled, also wrapping one of her hooves around Pinkie Pie, giving back the cold hug.
“Well they’re not here, are they?”
A creaking sound of a door opening caught both of the mare’s attention, as they turned to see a small group of multicolored mares into the room, and they all look upon the situation.
“Say no more,” Applejack spoke with sincerity in her tone. “move over, we’re joining.” She ordered, trotting over to them to join, as the others followed.

The six friends stayed there for a bit, embracing each other's presence. For the joy of seeing their beloved princess-friend once again, and checking how she’s recovering.
“It’s been so long you guys!” Twilight says after the long stretch of silence, lifting the heads of the others whom we’re subsequently stuck in the moment
There was no response, just a small smile from Fluttershy, as she maneuvered herself from the group up to stand on her hooves, moving her mane to behind her ear. Then with a small voice, she spoke. “Twilight, you still blame yourself...for what happened...don’t you?” such harsh words to such a sweet tone, that even the others could tell that it was fake sympathy.
“W-what are you talking about, n-nothing happened girls!” She said, folding her ears back and clenching her teeth to hold back tears that wouldn’t fall. Rainbow Dash slipped from the grasp of the hug as well, giving Twilight a ‘really?’ look that seemed so serious that it looked like she’d done it multiple times today.

“You know exactly what’s she’s talking about.” Rainbow said right after, making Twilight’s smile fade, and she stared at the floor, eyes shimmering from the corners. Rarity leaned to the side to catch a glimpse of her face, and immediately grabbed a couple of tissues on her dresser with her horn, and brought the tissues to the princess, in which she held with her own magic, wiping tears that fell. Once Rarity wiped a tear from her own, she rubbed her hoof back and forth on Twilight’s back. Although this was comforting, it still didn’t help the cries that escaped the immortal ruler.

“Darling...it’s not your fault...” Rarity sniffed as she wiped tears that kept coming from her eyes, making her mascara bleed into her snow white fur.

The others all shouted in agreement, also starting to weep along with Rarity, when Applejack slowly caressed Twilight’s hoof in her two own, letting tears drip from her eyes as well.
“W-who’s even gotcha thinkin’ like that, sucarcube?” Applejack worriedly spoke, her voice cracking , but she didn’t care.
“No-one is Applejack!” Twilight frantically spat, sighing as she flattened her wings on the floor off her back, solemnly staring upon her dearly missed friends.
“It’s been hard these past months.”
Everypony stared at Twilight, their expressions solemn, before Pinkie Pie walked forward one last time, a frown that’d ache the strongest heart, and gave Twilight a hug once again.
“It’s not your fault.”
Twilight, giving back another hug once more, closing her eyes to just feel the warmth of the lost friendship.

“I know, I just can’t let go yet.”

All Twilight could hear was a small giggle, as she felt coldness from where she was being hugged, and the voice and many other’s presence fading.

Twilight moved her hooves back to her side before opening her eyes again. She was hugging nothing but a fading memory, and her friends she longed and missed were nowhere to be seen.

She wiped new tears, forming in her eyes, letting her thoughts take over.

Right, alone again.

I need to face reality and stop having hope.




Twilight said nothing when she left out of her room, and through the halls to end, until she heard it.




“TWILY!”