• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 5,889 Views, 2,086 Comments

Looking Glass - Hiver



Nocturnis is growing, things are peaceful and Princess Luna is coming to visit. Things are looking good for Page!

  • ...
19
 2,086
 5,889

Chapter 36

"What are you up to?"

I blinked, trying to force the sleep from my eyes as I slowly swung from my tail, rotating towards the voice, "Huh?" I asked smartly.

Midnight stood a couple of hooves width from my muzzle, "What are you up to?"

I was going to answer, but instead I yawned and rubbed my eyes with a pastern,"...What time is it?" I grumbled, squeezing my eyes closed against the bright lights.

"It's noon. And answer the question, bat. Why do I have a pegasus here to see you and why did Princess Celestia come back this morning to tell me that I had her blessing if I wanted to leave?"

"Noon?" I didn't quite whine and squeezed my eyes closed, wrapping myself tighter in my wings.

"Gah!" was the next sound from me as a violet and somewhat violent aura surrounded me and pulled me down from the perch, shaking me in place, "Iiiii caaaaaannnnnt aaaaannnnswwweeerr wwwwhhiiiilllleeee yyyyooouuu sssssshhhhhaaaaakeeeee mmeeeee!"

Midnight turned me around and plopped me down on my hooves, "Well?"

Yep, that's her 'I'm not kidding' face. Sparks had one too, and when she did that you best be good.

I took a breath and tried to get my head to stop spinning, "I simply talked with Celestia. And the pegas-"

"I'm not blind, I recognize Spicy Pepper even in her disguise," Midnight said firmly, "Why and how is she here?"

Robbing my eyes again, I suppressed a yawn, "She's here to talk to me," I told her.

"You're up to something."

"What?"

"You're being evasive," Midnight said and poked my chest with her hoof, "And I don't believe for a moment Twilight would put up with it and you’re sleeping with her so, so why do you think I will? Spill."

I glowered sleepily at her, "Any reason we couldn't do this at a reasonable hour?"

Midnight glowered at me, "Be glad I didn't teleport us outside. Now stop evading, I'm not playing."

"...I went to her dream and told her she should seek out your castle," I said with only a slight grumbling, "I needed to talk to her because when we leave and when the great bat decursing start, the thestrals will need a strong central figure they trust that can help lead them."

Midnight paused slightly with a small frown, "...And you think that pony is Spicy Pepper?"

"You met her," I said and shrugged my wings, "She has a strong will and a strong personality with charisma. She cares about ponies and is a natural leader. If she can be convinced to assist Princess Luna in this, it will greatly increase the chance that things go smoothly."

"Why didn't you just say that?"

"Because somepony woke me in the middle of the day to yell at me."

Midnight rubbed her forehead next to her horn, "No, I mean why not send a letter like a normal pony?"

I blinked at her.

She stared at me, "...Letters didn't occur to you?"

"I have a lot on my mind, alright," I protested and shifted my ears in annoyance.

Midnight shook her head before she looked to me again, "And Celestia?"

I shrugged, "Nothing," I said before I smiled slightly, "I just told her of Tempest."

“Oh.”

“See, nothing nefarious.”

Midnight shook her head again and then frowned, “So why are you being so sneaky about it?”

“Because if I wasn’t,” I said and suppressed another yawn, “Celestia could have suspected that I was trying to convince her to let you leave instead of it being her idea. So I just told her what she wanted to know, when she wanted to know it.”

Midnight raised an eyebrow, “And you think she didn’t catch on?”

I smiled, “Oh, I’m sure she did, she’s too smart and experienced not to be at least suspicious. But she’s the one that asked the question and I told her nothing but the truth so she can’t be certain enough about it to not take me at my word. Besides, guess who taught me how to do that?”

“Celestia,” Midnight said and groaned softly as she looked at me, “I guess you took to those lessons more than I did,” she admitted and rubbed her forehead again before she crossed over and hugged me, “...Thank you…”

I hugged back, “I still think it’s a mistake,” I said quietly, “But I said I would support you and I will.”