• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 5,870 Views, 2,084 Comments

Looking Glass - Hiver



Nocturnis is growing, things are peaceful and Princess Luna is coming to visit. Things are looking good for Page!

  • ...
19
 2,084
 5,870

Chapter 61

It had taken a while, but we had finally managed to escape. The sun was filtering in from the outside, visible even through the bubble of darkness over the bed.

Sparks and Sunny were asleep, she and Sunset were curled up together on one side of the bed. Sparks really needed it and I’d make sure she got plenty of rest.

I didn’t want to sleep yet. Luna was next to me, my head against the side of her neck and her head resting against my mane, her strong wing across my back.

“What are you thinking of, My Page?” Luna murmured quietly into my ear.

I sighed softly, “...Tonight.”

“Ponies missed you,” she said quietly, “We missed you.”

“I know,” I whispered and then sighed again, “But… am I selfish?”

Luna shifted to frown at me, “How do you mean?”

“During that speech, during the journey here,” I said and then looked up into her eyes, “All I could think of was you three. I just wanted everypony else to buck off and they were just glad to see me.”

Luna sighed softly and bumped her nose softly against mine, “Page, you’re an idiot.”

“You and your sister are in agreement on that,” I said and shifted a bit closer, “Nothing new there.”

“Of course you were looking forward to seeing us,” Luna said and pressed her nose against my ear, “Silly Page. Nothing wrong with that.”

“It’s not just that,” I said quietly, “I wanted to leave again. While I was away I didn’t have any responsibility, I just… it was like when you and I were becoming friends. I was worried about getting back home, but…”

“Nopony was expecting anything of you,” Luna said and brushed her wing across my back.

I nodded against her neck, “Yes. I just… and now…”

Luna sighed softly and gave my ear a small kiss, “I know,” she said and hugged me with her wing, “You deserve better.”

I shook my head and looked up at her, “No, that’s not… “ I said and rolled onto my back, looking up at her, “It’s so many things. I just feel stuck sometimes,” I told her, keeping my voice down not to wake Sunny and Sparks, “This is what I will be doing tomorrow. This is what I will be doing in a thousand years. I never wanted to be a prince, I never wanted to rule. Now ponies rely on me, rely on me making decisions and if I get it wrong ponies may lose their livelihoods, get hurt or even die.”

Luna shifted down to rest her head against my chest, not saying anything as I put my forelegs around her,

“What’s even worse,” I told her quietly, “If I for some reason managed to avoid that responsibility, all it would do would be to heap all of it onto somepony else, likely somepony I love. I even feel bad complaining about it considering how long you and Sunshine have done it.”

Shifting up, Luna nuzzled in beneath my chin the same way as Sparks usually likes to do, “We have not been very nice to you, My Page,” she said quietly after a long moment.

I shook my head, stroking her mane, “It’s not your fault, My Sky. Not yours, not Sunshine’s,” I said before I chuckled softly, “The worst thing? Every single thing about it is my own bucking fault. I fell for you, I fought that fucking centaur, I made the deal with Discord, I chose to involve myself with my bats, I… did this to myself and I have nopony but myself to blame.”

“Falling for me started it?” Luna said softly, “What would you have done if not?”

“...Likely still working in a bookstore, trying to get a book printed,” I admitted before I smiled and sighed, “No, you know what, I blame Sunshine for all of it. She introduced us after all.”

Luna chuckled softly and shifted up to look down into my eyes, “Well, if we’re doing that, shouldn’t it be my fault? After all, she introduced me because I just came back after my failed rebellion and exile.”

I stuck my tongue out at her, “That’s silly.”

“You’re silly,” Luna said and brushed her lips against mine, “I can stay in Nocturnis,” she said softly.

I kissed back and then shook my head and brushed her star filled mane, “No,” I said with a small sigh, “You can’t. That would leave Sunshine alone in Canterlot… and I know you, my beautiful moon. You would never do that to her.”

“Again,” Luna sighed, “Never do that to her again,” she answered quietly before she put her head back down against my chest.

“You’re as trapped as I am,” I whispered and ran my hoof along her soft feathered wing, “Funny that. Ponies assume alicorns have so much power.”

Luna shook her head, “We don’t. Not really,” she said quietly before she sighed and cuddled closer, “Try to get some sleep, My Page. It’s been a long night for everypony.”

Nodding, I closed my eyes with a small sigh.

I should just stop complaining. I have three mares that love me and that I love. I led a growing village full of ponies whose lives are becoming better by the week. They deserved for me to be the pony they needed me to be.

Drifting off to the dream realm, I found my Luna waiting for me.

“Thank you, My Sky,” I said and moved up to her, “I-”

Luna stepped up and pulled me close, “We’ll figure something out,” she said, interrupting me, “I promise you we will.”

“Luna, I-” I started to say before she touched her nose to mine,

“You deserve to be happy,” she said, looking into my eyes, “Same as everypony else. You may have responsibilities, same as everypony else. But nopony expects you to do them in a way that makes you unhappy.”

I shook my head, “Luna, let’s not exaggerate, I didn’t mean it like that, it’s not as bad as it sounded.”

Luna sighed softly and smiled gently at me as she shifted to brush her wing across my back, “Let’s get some sleep.”

“Okay,” I agreed and leaned against her soft side.

That did sound nice.