• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 5,881 Views, 2,084 Comments

Looking Glass - Hiver



Nocturnis is growing, things are peaceful and Princess Luna is coming to visit. Things are looking good for Page!

  • ...
19
 2,084
 5,881

Chapter 49

The party was in full swing.

Okay, party might be a bit understating it, it was closer to a full on carnival or full on town market. I’m not sure who(Pinkie) had set it up, but the entire town of ponyville and half of Canterlot seemed to have showed up.

There were food stalls. Games.

Merchants!

Somepony(Pinkie) had set up and organized this in… what, a week? This power is beyond that of an alicorn.

When I get back home, I’m going to see if I can hire her as a general organizer. Because anypony that good at herding cats(ponies), is wasted on just parties.

I had not planned to get involved, it was their goodbye party and a thestral alicorn in the middle of it would attract too much attention from Midnight and Talon. I didn’t want that.

I didn’t hide, but I kept to the outskirts, relaxing on the grass next to one of the trees. Besides, I wasn’t a big fan of crowds in the best of times.

But Pepper… Pepper and Fluttershy was in the middle of it all, keeping close to the Princesses. Letting Ponies see them, see that they were accepted.

I knew how Fluttershy felt about it, she was terrified. But she did it anyway.

Bravest pony I knew, indeed.

The sound of hooves on grass approached and I looked over in the light of the setting sun and to my surprise I saw Applejack approaching.

She carried a pair of bottles in one hoof, stopping a couple of steps away, giving me a small bow, “Your Highness.”

“Applejack,” I said and gave her a nod back, “But you don’t need to bow to me. What can I help you with?”

She approached and laid down on the grass next to me, pulling the corks out of them with her teeth before passing one over.

I took it and took a sip, “Apple family cider,” I said, “It’s good, I can’t afford this very often.”

Applejack looked at me, raising an eyebrow, “Can’t afford it? Yer a Prince.”

I smiled faintly and took a sip, “Nocturnis isn’t a rich village, Applejack. I have donated most of my own bits to it as well. The bits it would cost to import a cask or bottles all the way to Nocturnis would buy a family of unicorns, earth ponies or pegasi hay, rice or grain for a week or two. Importing luxuries are low on my list of priorities.”

“I see.”


“Thestrals may be good on fruit and other local food,” I said, “But almost twenty percent of Nocturnis isn’t thestrals and need imported food to be healthy.”

Applejack nodded, “Can’t live on nothing but apples,” she admitted, “Need hay or grain to stay healthy.”

I nodded and took another sip before glancing down at it, “but this is definitely on the import list as soon as we can afford it,” I said before I looked at her, ”You want to talk about Midnight.”

Applejack shook her head, “Nah, she knows what she wants to do. Ah get it, she has a mare back in Nocturnis. Friends. Family. Ah wanted to ask ye about Fluttershy.”

“What about?” I asked and flicked one ear.

“Anything special she needs now?” Applejack asked, “Ah’m not sure anypony else has asked.”

Nodding, I looked down towards the rest of the party, “Well,” I said, “They will need more fruit in the mix than grains, but mostly they can eat like any other tribe. With one difference.”

“The… fish,” Applejack said, shifting a bit uncomfortable, “Ah remember the dinner. Pepper did not look like a fan.”

“Takes some getting used to for some ponies,” I agreed, “But we really do need it to be at our best. Not a lot, but we need some. That or some special kinds of beans works as well.”

I sipped the cider again with a small smile. It really was nice… it wasn’t quite as difficult to get in Nocturnis as I had implied. Nopony would raise an eyebrow if I imported a cask of it from time to time, in fact I was strangely certain my ponies would insist if I mentioned I liked it, but it still felt wrong.

Maybe now with the barrier up, when things had stabilized a bit. Or maybe we could make our own, we did have plenty of fruit.

But most of the local stuff tended to be more towards either wine or hard liquor, not cider. Wonder if Applejack has a cousin or not that wouldn’t mind moving?

“Many earth ponies in Nocturnis?” Applejack asked after a moment.

I raised an eyebrow at her, “Uhm,” I said and then frowned, thinking for a moment, “...Sev-no, six families. Two of them merged a month ago. Well, two months now. Twenty three in total, counting foals. Most ponies in Nocturnis have wings, but we do have a small but growing population of earth ponies and unicorns. With the barrier up, it will get easier for them when we can move some construction to the ground level.”

“Ah’m not sure I could live in trees,” Applejack agreed and poked at the grass with her hoof, “I prefer to keep my hooves on the ground.”

“As do most ponies without wings,” I said before I smiled, “Admittedly for very understandable reasons.”

Applejack laughed softly and nodded, “As ye say,” she said and slowly got onto her hooves, “Come, Twilight would like ye down there with them.”

“I think that would be a bit too distracting for everypony else.”

Applejack frowned at me before she raised an eyebrow.

I sighed and climbed to my hooves, “...That and I’m worried about something going wrong on the way back. I don’t need hundreds of ponis staring at me, I don’t like the attention.”

She nodded, “Ah understand. But it would mean a lot for them.”

“I’ll come,” I said with a small sigh, joining her and walking down the small hill towards the party.

Applejack smiled as she led the way, “There’s more cider down there,” she teased.

I couldn’t help but grin, “There is that.”