• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 5,835 Views, 2,083 Comments

Looking Glass - Hiver



Nocturnis is growing, things are peaceful and Princess Luna is coming to visit. Things are looking good for Page!

  • ...
19
 2,083
 5,835

Chapter 55

I relaxed on the bench, a sandwich sitting in a small bag next to me along with a bottle of cider. The sun was bright above so I kept those goggles Midnight made for me, but it was nice and warm against my wings.

I was wrapped in an illusion, but only to hide my horn and cutiemark and change my features slightly.

Might make me tall for a unicorn, yet alone a thestral, but size was a lot less easy to hide than a horn without outright transformation magic.

Luna and Celestia may be able to pull them off, me, not so much. Not yet anyway, but it’s something I should work towards with time.

The experience so far had been interesting.

Not bad exactly, nopony had called the guard on me this time around and nopony had been hesitant to sell me anything.

The earth pony I bought the meal of had smiled at me and everything, she seemed glad to have a customer at her stand.

I was still getting stares, but nopony said anything I could hear and several guard patrols had passed by without saying anything or even giving me overly long glances either.

Which was not perfect but was better at least. I suppose having gotten used to changelings across Canterlot, thestrals weren't so strange anymore.

Unpacking the sandwich, I unwrapped it and sniffed. Tomatoes, daffodils and apple slices. Yum.

“Excuse me?”

I paused mid bite and glanced up to see a unicorn mare watching me, a pair of saddle bags across her back. She had a blonde mane, blue eyes and a white coat, her cutiemark was of a… notebook?

“Yes?” I said and put the sandwich down, “How can I help you?”

“Sorry to bother you, “ she said, “I’m Quiet Scoop, a reporter for the Canterlot Chronicle. May I ask if you are from Nocturnis?”

I nodded, “Yes actually. I’m Dark Star.”

She nodded, “Would you mind if I asked you for an interview?”

Regarding her for a second I then nodded, “Sure, why not. Have a seat.”

She jumped onto the bench and pulled out a pen and a notebook from her saddlebags, “Dark Star, so you are from Nocturnis?”

“Yes, but not originally. Moved there when the town formed.”

Scoop nodded and scribbled something down, “Is it true Nocturnis is built in the trees?”

“It is,” I said, “Too dangerous to build on the ground until now. A month or so ago a magical barrier was brought up to make it secure. They plan to set up farms along the river now.”

She nodded, “I see. And what do you do in Nocturnis?”

“I work in the castle. Mostly paperwork. Not the most exciting, but important I think.”

Scoop scribbled on her notebook, “Why move to Nocturnis? It’s in the middle of the jungle and you said it was dangerous.”

“Hope,” I said and smiled faintly at her, “Same reason as for most ponies that’s moved there. You’re not wrong in that it's a dangerous area, but that was only on the ground. We moved into the trees and built the village there. Up there, it’s a lot safer. I wouldn’t say it’s more dangerous than… say any village set up next to the Everfree forest like, for example, Ponyville.”

She wrote it down and then looked at me, “And what about Prince Page?”

I sighed softly, “He’s a very busy pony. I work in the castle so if he does a good job or not, you have to ask somepony else, I’m a bit biased I think. But the village is growing, there are at least some immigrants every month and things seems to be going well.”

“I understand,” Scoop said and nodded, “That’s a fair opinion. What about non-thestrals? Any live in Nocturnis?”

“Oh yes,” I said and smiled, “I don’t have the exact numbers in my head, but I think there is about a twenty percent non-thestral population. About half of which don’t have wings, so while we may be set up in the trees, there are a lot of bridges. Only one lift though close to the river,” I said before I grinned, “Nopony really want to go down to the ground. Or wanted to until the barrier was brought up anyway.”

She nodded, “So what are you doing in Canterlot if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Vacation. It’s been a long couple of years so I’m taking a moment to just clear my head for a bit. But if you really want to know about Nocturnis, why not visit? It’s only a week away.”

Scoop hesitated, “I’m not sure my editor would agree,” she said and then smiled a bit nervously, “I’m new, just got to the job a week ago. Doesn't exactly have a lot of leeway yet.”

“Ah, fair,” I said and nodded, “Well, if you were to, now would be a good time. Prince Page is visiting Canterlot right now and is leaving for Nocturnis on an airship tomorrow. I’m sure they would be willing to bring you along if you asked.”

“I see,” she said thoughtfully before she nodded before she smiled at me, “Last question and one we ask on every interview. Who’s best princess?”

I grinned, “Now that's a dangerous question. I think each princess has good and bad points.”

“But if you had to pick?”

“...Princess Luna.”

Scoop nodded, “Makes sense. Princess of the Night and all that,” she said and scribbled it down.

Yes. Absolutely that. Not at all because I was married to her and her flanks looked amazing when she… well, did anything. Or the way she squeaked when I-

“Well,” I said and picked up my bottle of cider for a sip, “If there was ever a time to visit Nocturnis, it would be now. You could interview a lot more ponies.”

Scoop nodded and closed her notebook, “if I can get permission, that would be nice,” she admitted, “And I suppose it never hurts to ask. Thanks for the chat, I better get going.”

“Good luck.”