• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 5,879 Views, 2,084 Comments

Looking Glass - Hiver



Nocturnis is growing, things are peaceful and Princess Luna is coming to visit. Things are looking good for Page!

  • ...
19
 2,084
 5,879

Chapter 63

The throne room was lit by the moon outside and softly glowing crystals, enough to let a daypony read but diffuse enough to not bother a thestral coming in from outside.

The sides were opened tonight and there was a slight breeze, not a rain cloud in sight. The sky stretching out towards the horizon, filled by glimmering stars.

Sunset was talking quietly to Moon Glow to one side, something about the guard schedule. Meanwhile Midnight and Twilight were discussing something out on the left balcony.

My Luna was laying on the throne right next to me.

I shifted slightly on my throne, resting my head on my forelegs as Flower looked at me expectantly, having just finished giving me a summarized report for the last month or so I had been away.

One rexasaurus sighting by a hunting team outside the barrier.

One train arrived with supplies and four more immigrants. A family.

The ground along the river was being surveyed for farming land and tree clearing were planned to start sometime next week assuming they got the go ahead.

Six foals had been born. Five of which were thestrals.

We really are going to need to start expanding the school. What we had now were plenty for the foals currently in Nocturnis, but since things had stabilized a bit there after the train had been repaired there might be turning into something of a population boom.

I raised my head after a second's thought and nodded, "Sounds good to me," I said with a nod, "We best be sure we don't over cut the trees, but we do need farmland. Do they know which crop they want to test first?"

Flower like I expected, didn't even check her clipboard, "They are discussing starting with rice, your majesty."

"Well, if they think that's our best bet," I said, nodding, "You can do a lot with rice."

Sushi for example.

Rice alone could prop up civilizations. Very useful crop.

Flower nodded and then glanced at the clipboard, "There has also been a suggestion from Gregar and Slipwing. Now when the ground is safe to inhabit, they want to start to raise animals for meat?" Flower said with a small frown, "Instead of just hunting for it."

She then looked at me, "Would that work?"

"Most likely," I said and nodded, "And might be a good idea, especially as our population grows. Did they say which beasts they had in mind?"

"They were impressed by those large turtles. About trying those?"

Which made a lot of sense. A lot of meat on one of those and there was a fuckton of other materials too.

Hell, I bet you could turn one of those shells into a house with a bit of work!

I nodded, "Don't see why we wouldn't let them try. Not sure how fast those things grow compared to how much they would have to eat, but worth a try I guess."

Turtle burgers for everypony? If not, masssssive eggs.

With some hope it will work out. I mean, not like we could use cows. Cows around here were people. Kinda anyway. Smart enough to talk which made it a big no.

Luna shifted a bit next to me and I smiled, glancing at her as she stuck her tongue out,

"Don't want a big piece of fire cooked meat?" I asked with a smile.

"Don't want any more kisses ever?" she countered with a smile of her own.

Flower hid her own smile behind her clipboard and waited a second before she spoke up again, "Also, a couple of the citizens have asked about Princess Skitter and if we are going to get more changelings."

"Hesitantly or curious?" I asked, raising one eyebrow.

Flower flicked one ear, "Mostly curious I think. Most ponies in nocturnis have nothing against changelings, they are really helpful when it comes to scouting in the forest."

I nodded and looked over to Skitter, "What do you think so far, Skitter?" I asked her.

Skitter turned away from where she had been looking out over the jungle, "About the village, sir?"

"Yeah," I said and smiled at her, "I know it's a bit too humid for most ‘lings to be very comfortable most of the year. I know Amber especially dislikes the rain period."

"A bit," Skitter admitted and turned fully towards us, "But the temperature is pleasant and the ponies are nice."

Nice equals tasty I think. She clearly remembered her lessons with Celestia.

"Not that many ponies though," I said.

"...No," she admitted, "Could maybe support thirty to sixty or so drones without ponies feeling any sort of drain. We don't want to hurt anypony."

I smiled at her, "Don't worry, the village will grow."

Skitter smiled back, "Nocturnis is a good hive."

"WHAT THE BUCK DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T SOLVE IT!?"

I looked along with everypony else in surprise at Twilight where she was staring aghast at Midnight who looked defiant.