• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 5,870 Views, 2,084 Comments

Looking Glass - Hiver



Nocturnis is growing, things are peaceful and Princess Luna is coming to visit. Things are looking good for Page!

  • ...
19
 2,084
 5,870

Chapter 33

The dream realm stretched out in all directions and I peered at the portal before me. It was dark and stormy, rippling with silver.

“Prince Page.”

“Princess Luna,” I said and looked back to her as she joined me.

She stepped up next to me, “There is a Nightmare in there,” she said and then looked to me, “You’re not helping her?”

I sighed, “...This is not my world. I would like to, but not without asking you for permission. On this world, this is your realm.”

Luna frowned slightly and then nodded, “You would leave a pony in danger?”

“Hardly danger,” I said and looked up at her, “Nightmares are scary, yes, but ponies managed without anypony to guard their dreams for a millenium. They are scary, yes, but not really dangerous.”

Luna sighed softly, “They can be,” she said quietly, “They can still kill a weak pony, an elderly or sick pony may die of fright.”

“And this is a healthy baker in his twenties,” I told her as I got up, “Not in danger. Would you like me to join you in the hunt?”

Nodding, Luna stepped forward, “If you would like,” she said, moving into the portal.

I got up and touched my horn to the portal, following her into the dream. The dream formed around us, leaving us in a larger than life kitchen. The counters stretching up like mountains above our heads.

A earth pony with blonde mane and grey coat and with a bread cutiemark were running for his life on the floor, being chased by a massive rat the size of a dozen ponies.

I raised my eyebrow and walked up next to Luna as I watched the scene as he scrambled, just barely able to avoid the rat chasing him, “Remind me not to buy anything from his bakery,” I commented.

Luna glanced at me, “Indeed,” she commented and turned back, “Would you like to battle the Nightmare?”

“I would,” I agreed and spread my wings, taking to the sky before I twisted through the air. It liked playing cat and mouse, huh?

I can play that too.

Wrapping the fabric of the dream around myself, forging it into a different shape before I pounced in the form of a tabby cat.

I slammed down on the Nightmare, smashing the rat to the floor, claws extended as I went for the back of the neck with my fangs.

The Nightmare let out a very rat like squeak before dissolving into sparkles and I drank them in, feeling the usual rush of energy from it.

I met the baker's eyes as he looked back at me before I tapped my paw, changing the dream around us. Everything shuddered and shifted in a ripple from my paw.

Suddenly the baker was at the right size compared to his kitchen, a different pony faced him across the counter, the unicorn holding a paper in her magic as she talked to him about health violations.

I returned to my actual form but kept the small size as I took wing and flew over to Luna, landing before her.

“An interesting change of dream,” Luna said and looked up towards the two ponies, “And I can’t help but notice that you made sure he will remember this part.”

“Maybe it will do him good,” I said and sighed, “Not the calming dream I usually leave behind, but if he really has a rat problem bad enough for a Nightmare to latch onto as a subject, this may save some ponies from getting sick in the future.”

Luna turned to regard me again, “Your mastery of dream magic is quite remarkable.”

I smiled at her, “I had a very good teacher,” I told her and then shrugged, “Your realm is the night, the moon, the stars. Mine is… imagination. Stories. Much tighter bound to dreams than even yours are. It makes it easy for me.”

“Even so,” Luna said, “It’s not an easy subject even for a pony skilled in it. I have known two other ponies able to use the most rudimentary dream magic from their special talents. I have never known a pony able to do it like you. Not even myself.”

I shook my head, “I’m not as good as you are,” I said and then smiled at her, “Not yet.”

“Not yet,” she agreed before she smiled, “But I do have an advantage in practice. Before I was as good as you are now it took me… hundreds of years. How long have you been practicing it?”

“Not anywhere near as long,” I admitted, “My wife started to teach me before I got my wings, but even so…”

Luna nodded, “As I thought,” she said before she smiled slightly, “...I wonder where the you of this world is.”

I shook my head, “I’m not. I’m from a different world entirely,” I told her, “I’m not sure if Midnight told you of that…”

“She did,” Luna said and frowned, “And you have no idea how you ended up there?”

“No,” I admitted and then shrugged my wings, “But it seems to be the split of the timeline from this one as far as we’d been able to determine.”

Luna nodded, “So when we met, it really was a version of me you met.”

I smiled and sighed, “This must be almost as strange to you as it is to me.”

“Not so strange as for you,” Luna admitted, “Just… thinking. Would you be willing to bring a message to your wife from me?”

“Of course, but at this rate you may have to loan me a postal satchel.”