• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 5,818 Views, 2,083 Comments

Looking Glass - Hiver



Nocturnis is growing, things are peaceful and Princess Luna is coming to visit. Things are looking good for Page!

  • ...
19
 2,083
 5,818

Chapter 31

I felt a lot better after getting almost a full day of sleep.

The sun was just about setting at the horizon and the changelings were all gathered in one part of the castle. Everypony else in the rest of it, most of the royal guard had fucked off where they came from and the rest had set up camp next to the castle, fires lighting up their campsite.

Absolutely none of the above was my problem right now.

Instead, I was on the hunt. I didn't often get drunk, but tonight seemed like an excellent night to make a point to do so. Because last night had been a bitch and a half.

However, that posed a problem.

I couldn't just pop into Ponyville to buy some. For one thing, it was closed. For the other, I would need to disguise myself or ponies would be running around in fear.

Also, I had no bits.

Midnight being Midnight, I didn't exactly expect a big stash in the castle, but there had to be some around here somewhere.

If nothing else, she was friends with Applejack.

There had to be cider or something like it somewhere around here.

So I moved through the castle on silent hooves and wings. The kitchen had been a bust(well, they had mango, so not completely), and I had moved on from there.

...Of course I could just ask somepony, but where was the fun in that.

I spotted a glimmer of light through a slightly open door and peered inside only to see Shining Armor standing and looking out the window towards the guard camp, the room lit mostly by the firelight outside.

I hesitated for a second before I deliberately pulled the magic from my hooves to cause hoofsteps as I pushed the root open, "Sorry, I saw light," I said as Shining Armor startled, "Am I disturbing you?"

Shining shook his head, "No, it's fine," he said and turned back to the window.

Crossing the room, I stood next to him, looking out at the camp, "Miss it?" I asked after a moment.

"The guard?" he asked and at my nod he shrugged, "Sometimes," he admitted, "I'm still technically in the guard and I am in charge of the crystal guard."

"But it's not the same."

"It's not the same," he agreed before he sighed, "...Sorry about what I said before, I know now what you were trying to do."

"Don't worry about it. Was actually pretty helpful," I said with a small shrug, "And I know you don't like changelings."

He snorted and flicked his ears, "You can say that. I'm still not happy about any of this but... at least nopony got hurt."

"Sometimes that's the best we can hope for."

He made a small sound of agreement.

"So what are you doing here?" I asked, "I would have thought you'd be spending time with your parents and Midnight?"

Shining smiled slightly, "Our parents are asleep and Cadance banished me while she talked to my sister."

I raised an eyebrow, "Banished?"

"Apparently it was not for my ears," he said and shrugged, "So what are you up to?"

"Looking for something to get drunk with," I admitted, "Yesterday was that sort of.. oh, buck, it was still earlier today."

That got a grin, "I'm with you there," before he shook his head, "Not sure it's a good idea though, we still have a bunch of changelings."

"Oh, it's definitely not. Wanna join?"

Shining laughed and nodded, "If I thought Twily had anything home, I'd be way ahead of you already. Check the kitchen?"

"Yeah, most I found was a small bottle of cooking wine," I admitted, "Any plans now?"

"Going to tour the guard camp I think," he said and smirked, "I may not be an active guard, but I still have my rank and can't have them get too comfortable. Wanna come?"

I considered it for a second before I shook my head, "I think I'll take a flight, stretch my wings a bit. Some fresh air would be nice right about now."


######


I rested on my wings before slowly banking around, looking down towards Fluttershy's cottage. The windows still shone through with light, somepony down there was still awake.

Banking around again, I considered things for a moment before mentaly shrugging. As good of a time as possible.

Silently coming in for landing, my hooves touched ground at the edge of Fluttershy's garden before I walked over to the door.

I listened hard. No voices so no company over. Fairly certain it was safe, I raised my hoof and knocked on the door.

There were no sound for a second inside before I heard quiet hoofsteps approaching the door before it opened a small crack to reveal a yellow coat and a bit of pink mane, "P-Prince Page?"

"Lady Fluttershy," I said, giving her a small bow, "My apologies for disrupting you this late, but there is something I need to talk to you about. Would you have a moment?"

She was silent for a moment before she nodded, "...O-okay..." she said and backed away, opening the door, "Come on. C-could I offer a cup of tea?"

"That would be very nice, thank you," I admitted with a smile as I entered.

A white bunny jumped up to sit before me, looking up at me before looking back at Fluttershy, making a clicking sound.

Fluttershy went beet red from the tips of her ears, "Angel Bunny!" she gasped and scooped him up before rushing to the kitchen.

I blinked after them in slight confusion and then gave the door a small kick with my hoof, causing it to swing closed behind me.

Then I looked around. Fluttershy's cottage was fairly small, all seemingly centered around the living room with a couch, a fireplace where a small fire crackled away and a few bookshelves. the room lit up by the fire and candles. And a crapload of animals.

A skunk peered at me from a box at the other side of the room and I lifted my hoof to avoid stepping on a family of mice crossing the room.

I knew she liked animals, but I knew she didn't keep as many in Nocturnis. Was it for company or something else. The Fluttershy I knew wasn't exactly a social butterfly, but I did know she was friendly with a lot of ponies in Nocturnis.

Moving over to the couch, I carefully checked that I wouldn't sit on anything before I jumped onto it and settled down to wait.

It didn't take long before Fluttershy returned, balancing a tray in one wing. Like that first time I saw it, I saw her true self through her illusion almost like double vision. I saw her fluffy ears, cute fangs and bat wings. But I also saw the pegasus everypony thought she was.

She set the tray on the table, glancing at me nervously as she poured me a cup before offering it.

"Thank you," I said and took it by hoof. It was impolite to take food by magic if offered by hoof. Part of the things Sunshines lessons have taught me, "Again, sorry for bothering you this late," I said.

"I-it's alright."

Seeing her this anxious, this... shy... once more...

It tore my heart out. I knew she could be much more, feel much better about herself and the ponies around her. She deserved so much more than to constantly be worried and afraid.

I took in the scent of the green tea to give her a second to collect herself before I spoke, "I'm sure Midnight, that is to say, your Twilight, has told you about Nocturnis?" I asked and looked at her.

Fluttershy nodded and hid slightly behind her mane, "It sounds...nice."

I nodded, "I can't make anything like it here," I said with a small sigh, "But Princess Luna has expressed an interest in doing what she can for any bat ponies in Equestria. I found all bats with the help of dream magic, but if I teach her how to find thestrals..."

Fluttershy went very, very still. If I couldn't hear her heart thumping hard, I would have sworn she had turned into a statue.

I didn't say anything, I just sipped my tea and looked towards the fireplace. It took several long moments before her ears slowly drooped slightly and she looked down at her cup of tea.

"...It would help a lot of ponies..." she said and I could barely make it out, she was so quiet.

"It would," I confirmed gently, "But I wanted to ask you what you wanted me to do. You deserve better than to just have your secret yanked out into the open. If you tell me not to teach her, I won't. But if I do... she will find you."

Fluttershy took a slow breath before she looked at me and for a split second, I saw who she was. Who she could be. The beautiful and strong thestral that stood in my throne room, facing down half a dozen ponies about the best way to expand the village because doing it in that tree would disrupt a family of monkeys.

The pony that I had not heard a stutter from in over a year. The pony that no longer hid behind her mane.

"I-I want you to do it," she said quietly but in the firmest voice I heard from her here, "I... there are colts and fillies that..."

She broke off and looked down at her tea again, "...Don't want them to..."

"Didn't know about any other bats than your mother until I arrived, did you?" I asked gently.

She shook her head and swallowed, "Twilight told me. So many. I... I have my friends. I have my home. Many... many don't even have that," she said, her voice growing more steady as she spoke before she met my eyes for the first time and her illusion flashed away, leaving her fully in her real form, "And I won't be the pony that say they can't have better!"

Fluttershy was a good pony.

A good strong pony with strong ethics and morals and I had taken advantage of all of that several times to get Nocturnis built. And here I was doing it again. Except this time I would leave and drop even more onto her shoulders.

Fluttershy was a good pony.

I was not.

I nodded and put my half finished cup down on the table, "I will teach her before I leave," I said and then looked at her, "Maybe tell your friends before that. Midnight will be with you the entire way, know that."

Fluttershy visibly swallowed, her eyes shining in sudden fear but she still nodded firmly.

I gave her a small bow, "Good Night, Lady Fluttershy," I said before I turned to leave, feeling like a monster.