• Published 22nd Mar 2022
  • 10,256 Views, 2,538 Comments

Don't Bug Me - Starscribe



Amie was prepared for a difficult season as a camp counselor. She wasn't prepared for her entire summer camp vanishing from Earth, and reappearing in a strange new world. Now they're bugs, in a world that seems to hate them. Survival not guaranteed.

  • ...
27
 2,538
 10,256

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 62

"I've never captured a pony," Amie said flatly. "I've never attacked one, and I've never hurt one. I don't want to start now."

As she said it, dark shapes emerged from the fog all around them—three orange changelings, fully revealed. They'd ditched the saddlebags somewhere too, so their fins stood high and alert on their backs. Otherwise, their stance was much the same—aggressive, ready to break into deadly combat in an instant.

"Queen—I told you; she was too dangerous. She was going to see through your illusion in time. Now we have to deal with her."

Amie spread both wings, yelling in frustration. "You won't touch her! Back off!" She moved forward, putting herself between the changelings and this new mare. "No one is hurting anyone!"

The truth of that statement was disproven so fast Amie barely even realized what was happening. Something smacked into her from the side, tackling her to the ground and pressing up against her neck. Her heavy saddlebags protected her from some of the impact, but there was no protection around her neck.

A hoof pressed down there, hard as iron. "No one moves, or your queen dies!" the mare yelled, she was on top of Amie now, holding her with both forelegs. The force was irresistible.

Amie could barely see anything—the cloudy sky above, and her other eye pressed into the dirt.

"I should do it anyway," the mare whispered. "We never caught the other queen—those changelings will be back. But if you die, then the mountain can't threaten Equestria for long. It won't matter if your warriors kill me."

Amie struggled to speak. The mare pressed so hard against her throat that she could barely manage words. "Could..." Amie said. "I don't... think you will."

"Won't I?" Sweetie’s voice rose to a yell. "I mean it, all of you stay back!" Then she leaned down, pressing close to Amie. "How many ponies are dead because of you? How many murders?"

"None," she said. "You said... knew we hadn't escaped... because no one was vanishing. I've been... months. We weren't trapped."

The grip on her neck eased—not a lot, but enough for her to breathe again. "Order them to back off," the mare said.

"Do what she says!" Amie yelled; her voice hoarse. "Back away. Don't do anything unless she tries to kill me." Amie couldn't see what they were doing, she couldn't even use her powers to look. These bugs belonged to another queen; their eyes were forever closed to her.

But something must've changed, because Sweetie Drops lifted her leg completely. "Sit up. If you make any sudden moves, I might kill you. I might anyway."

Amie did, moving as slow as she dared. The orange bugs were about fifty feet away now. Pachu'a had a weapon on one of his forelegs, a bit of metal tied with cloth. The other hunter had a bow, though it now sat on the ground in front of her, undrawn. Natane was unarmed, and more relaxed than the other two. Her eyes were calculating, fear replaced by curiosity.

"When a poisonous snake bites a pony, it's not the snake's fault that it bites," Sweetie Drops said, voice low. "We still have to cut off its head, so no more innocent foals will die. How is this different?"

Amie kept her wings folded. She thought about changing back—Sweetie Drops's inherent disgust was not making negotiation easy. But if she did, the mare would probably interpret that as another attack, and respond with lethal violence. She couldn't risk it.

"A snake is ruled by instincts. If put in a similar situation, it will bite again. It will kill again."

The other mare still had her teeth bared. "You have killed before. A royal gaurdsmare was attacked, another received deadly injuries. He was so psychologically damaged he was discharged from the Royal Guard. That's just the attack we know about."

Amie met her eyes. "Equestria didn't send us diplomats—they didn't even post warning signs of where you decided we weren't allowed to go. When the guards attacked, they didn't land and ask us to leave. They killed two of us without provocation. Was it wrong to defend ourselves?"

The mare scoffed. "They would never do that! Ponies don't attack and kill without warning, we're not like you."

Amie puffed out her chest, meeting the mare's anger. "I was there! I cowered for my life while they murdered two people. When the fight was over, there were two dead bugs, one dead guardsmare, and one pegasus bleeding to death. I stitched Tailslide back together. I carried him to Motherlode to get medical treatment. If you don't believe me, ask him yourself. He works at Irongate Foundry in Agate."

A little of Sweetie's confidence faltered. There was still anger, enough to kill Amie if something provoked it. But a little of that mountain of hostility was wearing down. "What are you trying to accomplish, changeling queen? This deception is pointless. I should drag you back to Canterlot in irons, let you face royal judgment."

"My name isn't 'changeling queen'. It's Amie Blythe. I'm from Florence, Oregon, United States of America, Earth. My parents were Louise and Greg Blythe. I'm not supposed to be a monster. The bugs up on that mountain aren't supposed to be monsters either."

Sweetie's eyes kept flicking back to the changelings around them, then down at her. "You sure about that?"

She nodded. "You attacked me. Wouldn't you defend your friends if somepony attacked them? I never touched you. We were alone in that dining car for hours. We were alone on the walk up here, far from the sight or listening ears of Agate's guards. There was never an ambush. I just wanted to talk to you."

She dared to stand, moving slow enough that she could freeze if the mare showed any signs of aggression. But nothing happened, and Sweetie Drops let her do it. "There are two possible futures ahead of us, Sweetie Drops. Equestria can peacefully accept us, or they can attack like Path wants to do."

"We'll win," the mare said, without hesitation. "I'm sure he has attack plans drafted already, waiting for royal approval."

"Probably," Amie agreed. "And you could kill me right now. But if you do that, you'll show the bugs on that mountain that ponies aren't reasonable creatures. You'll show them that you don't understand negotiation, compromise, or friendship. When you want to take the mountain, ponies will die who could've gone home to their families. When you take the mountain, you'll kill hundreds and hundreds of helpless foals who just wanted to go home to their parents. Is that what you want?"

The mare backed away from her—not towards the mountain, but back the way they'd come. She took a few tentative steps, eyes wide. "If that's true, order them not to follow. Swear I can leave in peace."

"Don't follow her," Amie ordered, loudly. "This mare will not be harmed. I will react to any evil done to her as evil done to me." She glowered at the three strange bugs, teeth bared.

Then she turned back. "Someone has to stop this, Sweetie Drops. When words fail, violence is the only option left. I don't want that to happen. Please, help me."

"Stay on your mountain!" the mare shouted, exasperated. "We aren't the ones forcing this."

Amie shook her head once. "Lock yourself in your house and starve to death? That's not possible. But no ponies need to suffer for my mountain not to die. We can all live."

But the mare wasn't listening anymore. She turned on her heels and galloped off into the mist, leaving Amie bruised and beaten in the dirt.


"What a spectacular failure," Natane said, the first to break the long silence. She advanced slowly, followed by the other two hunters. "I've seen incredible bravery from queens in my time, but rare indeed is it joined by such incredible foolhardiness. Are you honestly trying to negotiate with ponies? Look where it got you."

Natane gestured at Amie's bruised neck. The shell there had cracked, and blue blood seeped out from inside. It already ached, and it would be worse tomorrow.

"Ponies are uncivilized barbarians," Pachu'a agreed. "When their society is homogeneous and they control all aspects of their own lives, they seem enlightened and friendly. Present even the slightest difference to them, and they stampede, trampling any threat down into the dirt. You can't reason with them, Queen Amie."

Amie stared back into the mist. She couldn't see Sweetie Drops anymore, but she could still hear her galloping hooves, echoing off the mountains. "I don't think I failed. She could've killed me, and she didn't. She listened to me. She saw what my kids really look like."

Natane laughed. "You informed her that her security methods had failed. I can tell you what that pony is thinking—she is plotting a way to detect your hunters in their population. You will not achieve peace; you will only make your swarm hungrier. Every new piece of information you share will only be used against you. You should abandon this path before it destroys you, Amie. The next pony you confront may be less cowardly. They may decide to simply kill you and be done."

Amie kept her mouth shut after that. The queen was probably right—Sweetie Drops now knew that her kind were loose. Instead of using the overconfident metric of murders to judge a city's safety, she would poke around. Maybe she would find the Rent-a-Friend.

Or maybe she would listen to what Amie had to say, and realize she was telling the truth. Ponies aren't barbarians. They're just afraid. We can make this work.

"That's my problem to solve," Amie said. "It's one you don't have to, Natane. Your home is safe, mine is exposed. If I don't make peace with Equestria, they will wipe us out. We can't win a war with a whole country."

"I am no queen," Pachu'a said. "But if I were you, I would be organizing my bugs to go to ground and separate. Spread out, then reconvene somewhere safe. You will give up the resources in your camp, but not be here when the invasion comes."

And leave the place empty for you and your hunters to loot, I'm sure, Amie thought. She resisted the urge to spit that into his face. He had still come with her on a humanitarian mission, risking his life to bring food to the hungry.

"That isn't the problem to solve today," she said, gesturing ahead. "We need to get into cover. That agent might run to the army and tell them the queen is in the open. Let's not be."

She changed again. Still a unicorn, since she might need the magic, though this one had a green coat and a lighter green mane, hopefully harder to see from above. Biological camouflage was better than nothing, if the fog ever broke.

It took only a moment for the changelings to recover their saddlebags. Each one changed, into a random smattering of other creatures. Pachu'a chose a griffon this time, while his apprentice was an earth pony, and Natane also made herself a unicorn.

So much for the fake identity. All the time investing into making True Silver seem real was wasted—one of the most dangerous ponies in Equestria now knew she was a fake.

Entirely my own fault. Maybe the bugs are right. I was stupid to trust her.

They reached the fork in the path, then passed the sign warning of extreme danger and death by changeling if they went the wrong way. "No rescue will be attempted." Had ponies tried climbing the mountain? They wouldn't like what they found if they did.

It wasn't much further to the highway. The asphalt was hard and uncomfortable on pony hooves, so Amie walked in the dirt alongside, imagining the roar of cars passing her up the I-5. Only in her mind, unfortunately. There were no vehicles rushing to her rescue.

No one would save Camp Stella Lacus, except her.

PreviousChapters Next