• Published 22nd Mar 2022
  • 10,257 Views, 2,538 Comments

Don't Bug Me - Starscribe



Amie was prepared for a difficult season as a camp counselor. She wasn't prepared for her entire summer camp vanishing from Earth, and reappearing in a strange new world. Now they're bugs, in a world that seems to hate them. Survival not guaranteed.

  • ...
27
 2,538
 10,257

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 75

Amie woke underground, surrounded by terrified faces. She sat up violently, alertness returning instantly. More like the spell itself was an attack, suppressed only by her pregnancy until that moment.

She saw Tailslide first, then Mrs. Sobol, and at least a dozen of the “workers.” Despite their concern, no one got within ten feet of her, watching from well outside her ability to reach out and touch them.

But it was the pony who spoke first. "She's awake!" He reached for her, then stopped short, eyes snapping back to the stone beneath her. Amie followed his gaze, and soon found what frightened so many of her bugs.

The ground around her nest was covered in burning, glowing marks, the same she recognized from her casual study of unicorn magic. As she watched, they faded away, leaving lines scored a few centimeters into the ground. Where the pillows and sleeping bags crossed over, the spell melted right through.

But now the light faded, until it was dimmer than the propane spotlight Mrs. Sobol had brought.

"Impossible. That spell would kill her. No changeling could survive it." That was Kaya of course, watching through Natane as usual. Someone must've called her when the attack began. Not a bad idea, though it clearly hadn't gone anywhere. The queen had done nothing, until the spell ran its course.

Amie didn't feel bloated anymore. She wasn't stretched, swollen with eggs, or even in the post-birth recovery of a human mother. When she stood, her legs felt a little longer, the room a little smaller, but that was all. "She tried," Amie said, shaking out her mane. She smelled every bit as bad as an all-day birth suggested, though. Trapped in a spell, there was nothing her bugs could do for her.

"The princess... tried. Too bad for her, the spell she used wasn't just an assassination. They only wanted to judge the guilty. Turns out I don't qualify."

She stepped out, crossing over the fading spell diagram cut into the rock. As soon as she did, the remaining trapped light went out, without visible effect. Relief passed through the crowd, even her watching workers. Were they reflecting her own feelings back at her, or was this more? There were still campers and staff in there, deep down.

Tailslide embraced her, heedless of all the watching bugs. The depth of his relief went a long way towards restoring her strength, in a way that awful nightmare never could. "Thought it was the end. What the SMILE agent said... She was wrong."

She met his eyes, tears streaming down her face. "She wasn't wrong, Tailslide. Princess Luna... tried to execute me. There was this whole... judgment. Used my own memories. Failure, sorrow, and guilt. It hurt, being reminded of all the worst things that happened to me. But it wasn't the kind of pain that kills someone. Just..." She wiped her tears against his coat. It did little to help—he was just as covered in sweat and grime as she was.

"This does not match with... any of my experience on this matter. All who have been struck by similar spells before have fallen. But if Luna had your True Name, if she could find you with her dagger... I must speak to the Elders. This changes much."

Natane twitched, then her expression turned to confusion. "I am... oh. You've delivered, honored queen. I am happy to see it went well. Perhaps I should... return to the upper levels for the time being."

Amie nodded her permission. "Do that. I think my hunters in training still have questions for you."

The guest bug departed, leaving Amie surrounded by her own swarm. And Tailslide. But if any pony could cross that boundary, it was him.

She wanted time to be alone with him, and finally she had a chance to get it. After satisfying Mrs. Sobol that there were no leftover complications from her delivery, and one long tour through the hive. Rumors of her suffering some crippling illness or even death were already flowing, and she had to stop those before they could fester.

With her renewed health came a new flood of confidence to her bugs. She didn't explain what had really happened—no reason to fill them with fear over unknown enemies who could kill them from afar. Despite all that Amie had suffered in the process, Luna's attempt on her life was probably a good thing. She had denied Amie before, refused to believe what she said. But Amie still remembered her face, saw the despair mixed with certainty.

One of Equestria's diarch's knew about Amie's bugs. The princess had seen her world—seen the humanity of her campers before the Transit cursed them to be parasites. If anything could facilitate diplomacy between Stella Lacus and Equestria, this was it.

It was early morning by the time she was finally out of the mine. She'd rinsed off the worst of the dirt, but still felt disgusting in a way only hot water and caustic soap could cure. There was a place she could go for that, and a pony to go with her.

She resisted the temptation to be a bat again, if only because Tailslide's flying experience was useless on featherless wings. "Explain it again," she asked. "Half the kids can fly, and I can't. It's embarrassing!"

One lesson was hardly enough to learn such a complex skill. But Amie's determination was powerful now. With Tailslide's advice, she got off the ground more than once, fluttering up the freeway towards camp in short spurts. At least she had a wide, clear area to practice on, with plenty of space to correct mistakes.

Tailslide had never entered the camp's borders before. He landed as they approached, moving closer to her on the gravel road. Part of that was exhaustion—the pony had slept even less than she had, and needed it much more. But she felt his fear, even so.

"We watched this place from above... wondered what terrible things you were doing. Saw you kill things. You took animals into your kitchen and ate them. Sure they won't do that to me?"

Amie rolled her eyes. "If you really thought that you would've stayed in Agate. We... we did have to hunt to survive. Rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, badgers, fish, birds..." She trailed off, looking away from him. "It's not what we're made for. It tasted awful, like all the terror and pain was frozen there in the seconds before they died. If I get my way, none of us will ever have to eat that again."

She rested up against him, slowing her pace. "Most campers have already moved into the mine. Now that they know how much Equestria hates us... it's mostly deserted up here. They make trips to carry things down, but that's it. The kids were already living in tents—a roof over their head is an improvement, even if it's made of rock."

The camp itself showed signs of this hasty evacuation. Many tents had blown over, or been dismantled completely, leaving naked wooden platforms where they once stood. Old human clothing, blankets, and other trash littered the gravel road, lost by campers making a hasty retreat.

There were still lights on in the multipurpose building, and the staff offices. Not the counselor’s cabin, which was the important thing. They reached the door, and Amie eased it open, flicking the lights on with her nose.

"Why is it all so... big?" Tailslide lingered in the doorway, sniffing. But for the intervening months since Amie's departure, the staff cabin had changed little. The downstairs was a huge breakroom/living room, where councilors could relax and recover from their difficult childcare responsibilities. Someone had left the TV on, playing through endless reruns of Nate's Stargate DVD collection. At least they didn't have a copy of Alien.

"Doesn't feel big when you look like we did." She gestured at the largest photograph framed on the wall, a huge “all staff” gathering taken at the beginning of the season. They were all smiling then, oblivious of the horrors waiting for them. "Felt pretty cramped in here. Shower's upstairs, come on."

He followed, glancing furtively to either side as they moved. "Aren't you worried..."

"What, that someone's hiding here?" She giggled. "Right. You can't... I can feel them." She tapped her head with one hoof. "There are no other changelings in this building. I'm not sure how long we have. But it has its own hot water, and that's the important thing."

All of Amie's problems weren't gone just because Equestria didn't kill her. But at least for a few hours, she could put them aside, and focus on something a little more familiar.

She stayed with Tailslide while he recovered, resting on one of many abandoned beds. With bugs who could go for days on a brief nap, they just didn't occupy the same position of significance to the campers.

While he rested, Amie could still visit the mine, watching through the eyes of workers as construction continued and supplies flowed inside. Her real fear—that Equestria was only waiting for Luna's spell to begin an all-out attack—didn't come true that day, or the next.

They returned to the mine before evening. Amie spent most of the trip in the air, albeit only gliding. But Tailslide was a good teacher, and she was a determined student. All she really needed was time, and she could rectify that missing skill.

She said her goodbyes to Tailslide the next morning. Amie hardly wanted him to leave—but his plan just made too much sense to ignore.

"The SMILE agent needs to know I'm okay. And if she doesn't know what happened with Princess Luna's spell, I'll tell her that too. It feels like we're so close! Equestria... might not understand you any better than before, but some of its leaders do. That's enough to start!"

"I hope so. Check in on the hunters while you're there, too. Just... be careful with Marcus."

The pegasus spread both wings, lifting off into the parking lot. "Why?"

"Pretty sure he... has a thing for me," she finished lamely. "And he's a changeling, he can sense your feelings for me."

Tailslide shrugged his wings. "Sure. But you should talk to him too. He should know that we're together." He took off, flying low over the road. Just because Amie couldn't see any watching pony patrol in the sky didn't mean there wasn't one. Tailslide would have to fly as carefully as any of her ponies, if he didn't want to end up captured and imprisoned by Commander Path.

Amie had more pressing concerns than one hunter with feelings for her, anyway. Wes's team had definitely reached Canterlot by then, and was probably waiting for her to step in and visit Ivy. Amie had put that off long enough.

So long as everyone still had enough to eat, she didn't have to worry about the camp decomposing into violent rebellion at any second. She had ponies she trusted to guard her quarters, while she strained her powers beyond anything she had used before. It was time to visit Canterlot.

She expected the transition to be difficult, and Amie wasn't disappointed. Even with her body healed and the privacy of her upstairs office, it took her considerable time and effort.

But Amie knew it was possible. If Kaya could reach Natane, then Amie could extend her influence to Canterlot. In the end, her success didn't come from endless focus and concentration, or even magical power expended. But when she reached, she found someone reaching back. Beth wanted to be found in that moment, strong enough for Amie to find her at last.

Beth wasn't in a good position, but boiling over with stress and anxiety. It took more of her will to push her mind through all that. She had to confront those feelings, accept them for herself, and give Beth a chance to rest.

There was no conversation between them—but Beth recognized her presence, and didn't fight her the way many of the bugs she healed had fought. She was used to this by now.

"Amie's going to be furious with us, Beth. Letting Wes leave on his own... we should've gone after him."

She was in a tiny, dirty room, with a single narrow bed off to one side. A naked bulb in the ceiling filled the room with yellow light.

"Beth? We could still catch the express, try to follow him."

Amie changed, leaving the simple pegasus form Beth had used, and retaking one she hadn't used in weeks—Rain Fly, the pony who first made friends with Ivy. "Hello, Rick. Sorry I took so long." She stretched, but the gesture just wasn't as satisfying without wings. "What did you say about my brother?"

PreviousChapters Next