• Published 22nd Mar 2022
  • 10,253 Views, 2,538 Comments

Don't Bug Me - Starscribe



Amie was prepared for a difficult season as a camp counselor. She wasn't prepared for her entire summer camp vanishing from Earth, and reappearing in a strange new world. Now they're bugs, in a world that seems to hate them. Survival not guaranteed.

  • ...
27
 2,538
 10,253

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9

“Wesley?” Amie asked, confused. They were alone in his office. Mr. Albrecht still dressed, though he was one of the few staff members to bother wearing so much. Amie herself had modified a rain-coat for the wettest days, but that was all. Within the first few days, “wearing clothes” had solidified as something the “camp” people did. Those who went out into the wild—hiking through mud and dirt and sometimes camping for a few days—wore only practical things.

“I know Wes, he wouldn’t cause trouble. He’s still pulling his weight with the other hunters.”

It was still a little intimidating to be around someone like Mr. Albrecht, who retained so much humanity despite all he had been through. At least a little inspiring, too.

Mr. Albrecht clicked his tongue once, disapproving. “I have heard otherwise. But that isn’t why I called you here. How much any one person can reinforce our food supplies is not the only concern. The issue is that we’re leaving untapped resources. I’ve spoken with Mrs. Sobol about this more than once. Your brother has some… unique mutations. His ability to overcome our limitations in diet might suggest… all kinds of things I don’t understand.

“I’ve called you here to make a request. Persuade him to volunteer with the nurse for ongoing study. He’ll be well-treated, and we’ll be able to get the information that might save all of camp from starvation. You know as well as anyone how likely we are to raise enough chicken eggs to feed this many people through winter.”

She kept her expression neutral. She could only hope that would translate to her emotions as well, because she had no way of stopping those from leaking out. Deep breaths. Stay calm. “So you’re saying he would… check into the clinic, and not help with hunting anymore?”

He nodded. “I know this might sound harsh, or unfair. He’s done nothing wrong. You have carried the weight of a dozen campers on your shoulders and more, with that hunting team you lead. But what are we supposed to do when faced with starvation in an alpine winter? We have to see what he has that we don’t. That means more intensive study.”

“I’ll talk to him about it,” she lied. “It feels like it should be his decision to make. I can’t force him to do anything.”

She couldn’t force anyone. There were at least a dozen campers missing now, along with a few staff. All had wandered down the mountain and never returned.

“That’s a good place to start,” he said. “You can tell him that. Persuade him to volunteer. But understand that if he doesn’t… it will get unpleasant for all involved. When it comes to the survival of the thousand campers and hundreds of staff, I am not gambling with lives.”

“I… yeah.” She shivered, rising from her seat. “I’ll go tell him. You want him to report tomorrow morning?”

He nodded once. “I’m sorry to ask this of you, Amie. You’ve been a tremendous service to Stella Lacus Adventure Camp since the Transit. I don’t know where we would be without you.”

She hurried out of his office, before she could reveal more than she already did. As soon as she was out onto the gravel road, she broke into a run, darting up the hill for the Pioneering building as fast as her footless stump-legs could carry her.

Her wings buzzed as she ran, and sometimes it even felt like they might lift her right off the ground and carry her through the air. But that was probably her imagination, dropping her back down almost as swiftly as she flew.

He must know I don’t like the idea. How much could he feel?

They couldn’t read minds, she had learned that much over the last month. But even basic feelings were a lot of information. Her dissatisfaction and rebellion couldn’t be invisible to him, right? He had to know what they meant.

But she heard nothing on the radio as she ran. She eventually grew breathless, slowing as she reached the building. The act of running was enough to draw attention from other campers, when stability was the chief good Stella Lacus provided.

Her hunting team would not be asleep, despite the hour. They had all abandoned even the pretense of sleeping, and used the time for relaxation or other social activities. With one exception.

She waved at her students as she passed, but ignored their obvious gestures to converse. She had something more important in mind.

She’d converted the building’s custodial closet to a bedroom for herself and her brother—which really just meant Wes, since she never slept more than twenty minutes a night. Mostly it was somewhere to keep her notes, and have some time to herself if the pressure got to her.

Wes was already asleep inside, curled in his hammock. She clicked the door shut behind her, before reaching up to nudge his shoulder. “Wes. Wes, don’t freak out. But I need you to wake up.”

He twitched, then sat up abruptly. At least he was a light enough sleeper that he didn’t completely freak out. “Amie? What’s up?”

“Still keep that bag of camping gear packed?” she whispered.

It took him a second to reply. While she waited, she flicked the light on, making him hiss and recoil in pain. At least those still worked, with the same power that kept the buildings warm. When winter came and they had nothing to eat, they would be warm behind comfortable windows.

“Didn’t have to do that!” His annoyance grew into anger. He was still groggy enough that confusion dominated over all. “What is this about?”

She hopped up onto the stool beside his hammock, speaking directly over him. “I just got out of a meeting with Albrecht. He wants me to ask you to volunteer for the nurse’s office.”

He groaned, but finally sat up. “That’s… bad? I don’t mind helping with sick campers. I know there’s some gross stuff in there too.”

She swore under her breath. “I don’t mean like that. I mean they’d be studying you.”

“Oh.” He sighed. “What more do they want? I already let them poke me and take samples and x-rays and everything.”

“Exactly! Whatever it is… Albrecht thinks you’re the key to saving camp. He got all ‘greater good’ with me. I don’t want to believe he would do anything to hurt you, but it sounds like he’s willing to do anything to learn what makes you different.”

Wes’s annoyance and anger were gone by now, replaced with raw, powerful fear. Now he understood why she’d forced him awake in the middle of the night. How could he argue? “I’m screwed.”

“No.” She nudged his shoulder with her nose. “If he wants you, he’ll have to get through my dead body first. Get up, get your jacket, and any camping supplies you have. We have to get out of here.”

He was still sluggish and sleepy, but Wes obeyed. He stumbled out of bed, then over to the dresser. His bag was already packed. Hers always was, since she left on frequent hunting trips that sometimes took her overnight. She shrugged it on, then took a few extra moments to pack away things she usually left behind. A few books brought from home, a picture of her parents, her phone charger… all went in along with the camping supplies.

Wes stopped in place, watching her. Tears welled from his eyes, and he stammered a few seconds before finally managing to speak. “Y-you… you’re coming with me?”

She felt something overwhelming next. It was the greatest, most filling meal she’d ever had. She felt his love, gratitude, and loyalty, flowing so freely that they were almost solid in the air. These were feelings as deep as any human could experience, coming from someone who thought they were doomed. “You don’t have to do that. Everyone loves you here. You have campers depending on you. You’re—”

She wouldn’t have changed course even without the strange feeling. Amie put one hoof on his shoulder, meeting his eyes. “You’re my brother, Wes. And you’re only at Adventure Camp because I pressured you. No matter what happens, I’m bringing you home.”

She tossed his modified jacket off the hook for him. Then she bent down, tightening the straps around his shoulders with her mouth

“You think th-that… we can really get away? There are so many people in Stella Lacus. They know the mountain, they have the jeeps! And there’s the helicopter…”

“He’s not taking all that fuel just to look for you,” she said, patting his shoulder. “I’ve watched Albrecht work. He explores every option. Investigating you isn’t our last hope, it’s one of many different things. He’ll find another way to help Camp Stella Lacus.” And he won’t have either of us along.

The incredible energy emanating from Wes wasn’t dimming as the seconds passed. She soaked it in, washing away her tiredness, and replacing fear with anticipation. Her wings tried to open, but the saddlebags kept them closed.

Then her brother noticed. Wes tilted his head to the side, and discomfort soured whatever energy he was producing. “Is something wrong, Amie? You’re looking at me funny.”

She shook her head vigorously, clearing it. “Something just happened, but we’ll figure it out later. Escape first, yeah?”

She opened the door, and came face to face with half a dozen hunters. They weren’t dressed for war—some of them were in their pajamas. Most wore nothing at all. Every single one of them had their mouth hanging open, looking like they’d been standing outside a feast-hall at the world’s best holiday meal.

They seemed to stare through her to Wes, fangs out and drooling. And why shouldn’t they be? One meal a day just wasn’t enough for any of Stella Lacus’s residents. Hers were a little better off than some, since they “accidentally” lost (then cooked and ate) meat that went above their expected quota.

“Hey everybody,” she said, a forced friendliness in her voice. “Don’t mind us. I’m just going out for a night hike with my brother.” She moved to step between them, and they parted easily. But they were closing in around him, just as quickly.

Shit.

“He can’t hunt,” said Marcus, from across the room. He was one of the few who hadn’t risen from his seat. There were several makeshift traps on the table in front of him, along with her spare radio. It glowed faintly red, and hissed with the occasional burst of static. “You should tell us the truth, Amie. It’s about that order the camp director just put out.”

Order? Her own radio had been off that entire time, tucked away in her bag. Of course she should’ve been listening! Mr. Albrecht had been dumb enough to ask for her to get involved. But once he felt her rebellion—

She pushed Wes back, keeping herself between him and the other boys. The longer they waited, the more his feelings of gratitude were transformed to fear, and the more aware the hunters looked. This wasn’t a pool of ravenous piranhas. Like those fish, the fierceness of her hunters was greatly exaggerated.

“Did he say something about arresting me?”

That did it. Several hunters looked up, seeming confused that they were even standing up. They backed away from her, while others near the open doorway made their way in.

“Just him. They want Wes brought to medical. Said he’s… infected with a deadly, contagious disease.”

“And because they lied over the radio, no one can tell he’s full of shit,” she finished. “Nothing like that.” She looked urgently between them, clearing the way for her brother. There was only a single doorway, but at least it was open now. “Listen. They want to study him, maybe dissect him… I don’t know. But I’m getting him out of camp. Are you going to stop me?”

The hunters shared a look. Nerdy Rick, on his laptop, confident Marcus, and several others. She knew them each by name, just as she trusted them to go hunting with her up into the mountains.

As one, they cleared the path to the exit.

“I don’t want you complicit in this,” she said. “So I’m ordering you to get out of our way. Let us go! If my brother had a disease, then…” Yes, she could use that stupid lie. “It makes sense I want to take him away, to quarantine out in the woods. You were so used to listening to me, that you obeyed.”

Marcus reached out, switching off the radio with one hoof. Then he stood. “You sure you don’t want us to come with you? If this is what’s happening in camp, maybe we should run away too. We could feed ourselves easy.”

He wasn’t just thinking about food, though. She was only a year older than Marcus, she could sense how he felt. And if she wasn’t so busy trying to survive, she might’ve reciprocated. Would he feel that too?

“No,” she hissed, hurrying across the room. “I know you could. You’re all twice as good as the other campers, maybe three times. That’s why you need to stay. Without you, they might starve. I need you to keep this camp going while I’m gone. Find ways to bring in more meat, keep everyone alive until I can… bring back some help.”

“If there is anyone,” someone muttered. But they were quickly drowned out by acknowledgements and agreements from the rest of the group.

Rick gestured to her backpack. “You have your phone in there?”

She nodded. “And my brother has a solar battery. It’s not great, but we’ll be able to stay in touch on the intranet if we’re close.”

He hurried past them to the wall, removing a carefully folded piece of metal and some wires, all stuffed into a plastic bag. “Take this too! Wes knows how to use it—it should seriously boost your range. It’s dependent on weather conditions and transmission power, so you’ll have to experiment. But better to have it than not.”

“Right.” She unzipped her bag, letting him shove it in. They might’ve said something else, except that she heard a distant engine. The jeep was coming—probably with a show of force from Albrecht’s security team aboard. “Marcus, keep everyone safe until I get back. Everyone else, listen to him. He was already in charge half the time anyway. I’ll… try to find a way to help, once my brother is safe.”

Before she could second-guess herself, Amie wrapped one hoof around her brother’s, then dragged him out into the night.

She cried as she ran—bugs could still do that.

PreviousChapters Next