• Published 22nd Mar 2022
  • 10,223 Views, 2,537 Comments

Don't Bug Me - Starscribe



Amie was prepared for a difficult season as a camp counselor. She wasn't prepared for her entire summer camp vanishing from Earth, and reappearing in a strange new world. Now they're bugs, in a world that seems to hate them. Survival not guaranteed.

  • ...
27
 2,537
 10,223

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23

Amie ascended a set of rickety wooden steps, wrapping strangely through the frame of the building. It felt more like they’d been added long after the initial construction, making her duck between the walls of rooms in a way no rational engineer would design. The boss might want his own space, but he wasn’t claiming somewhere that the Rent-a-Friend facility could use in some other way.

There were no lights, only the occasional window to light her way. It would be more than enough if she still looked like herself—wearing a pony’s skin, she still had to squint and stumble as she walked. When she finally reached the end, she found an open doorway leading to a large space. Smoke wafted out and down the steps, but not the almost-familiar tobacco that filled the lobby downstairs.

It reminded her far less of a sleazy bar on the far end of town and more of a hippie’s crystal shop, or maybe a canvas tent at a renaissance fair. “Excuse me? I’m here to apply.” She stopped just outside, rapping one hoof against the doorframe. Probably wouldn’t make a good impression by just letting herself in.

“I felt your vibrations,” said a voice. Male, older, with a different accent than many of the miners she’d met so far. “Come inside. Let me see you.”

Amie put on her brightest, most cheerful expression, then walked straight into the office. Its strangeness only grew—there was a fountain off to one side, with shelves covered in strange books and even stranger incense-burners. Every inch of wall space was covered in another painting, portrait, or scroll, depicting the same group of several ponies over and over.

Behind the desk of distressed wood sat an older pony, with a smattering of wrinkles showing from around his eyes. His coat came in salt and pepper gray, with a mane and tail gone almost white. Whether that was a product of age or just his natural color, Amie couldn’t guess. He wore no clothing, but that wasn’t strange. Just another aspect of local life she would have to adjust to if she ever hoped to fit in around here.

“My name is Amie,” she said, extending one hoof towards him across the desk. It was mostly empty anyway, aside from various knickknacks. A little growing tree, a bowl full of colored sand, and more sticks of burning incense. How could he even breathe in all this stuff? “The sign said you were hiring great friends? I’m here to apply!”

The pony remained utterly motionless for so long that she wondered if something had snapped in his brain. Then he sat up, scratching at his chin. The unicorn actually had a slight goatee, one of the few ponies she’d met so far with facial hair. “Amie. Has a nice sound to it, very exotic. My name is Bud Bonzer. The proprietor, director, chief entertainer, councilor, energy healer, and much more. Everypony in Equestria has friends, but few would serve the needs of my customers. Do you have any idea what ‘Rent-a-Friend’ is about?”

She bit her lip, resisting the urge to repeat the name back to him. From the way he spoke, Bud wasn’t expecting another 9-5 employee to punch a clock. He wanted passion, so she would have to give it to him. “Being a friend to ponies who can’t get one?” she suggested. “Or maybe therapy for social anxiety? Honestly, I’m not sure. I just know that I’ve worked as a counselor for years now. Mostly for younger… ponies, but I’ve got plenty of experience with those with social trouble. It’s just part of the job for me.”

“A counselor for years…” he repeated, leaning to one side. “With a medical cutie mark? To be frank, I’m a little surprised you would bother applying here. There are hospitals and clinics all across the valley with a desperate need for ponies. Maybe you should put your talents to use there, instead of here.”

She settled herself down in front of his desk, sitting on her haunches. There were no chairs here—so either he didn’t expect visitors to stay long, or wanted them to be a little uncomfortable. “Sometimes passion and talent don’t overlap, Mr. Bonzer.” And maybe I spent a whole day trying but they wouldn’t take me. “I’m interested in being a friend. Will you take me?”

He frowned, levitating something off the nearby shelf. It was one of at least a dozen identical books, each one with the same leather-looking cover. He set it down in front of himself, then cracked it open, filling the air with that crisp smell of new paper and whatever was written inside. This wasn’t a book that Bud read often, then.

“When customers visit us, we never know which Element of Harmony they’ll need most. Can you tell me about a time you’ve exemplified each one?” He set the book down, then rose to his hooves, backing away from the desk. A heavy board sat tucked up against the wall. It was divided in sixths, with headshots of various creatures in each one.

Below each were names, with little notes scribbled beneath them too small to read from across the room. “Most clients need something in particular from the friends they hire. They’re traveling workers, mostly, who leave their connections behind in whatever towns they came from. Their vibrations are out of alignment. Our friends supply them.”

She walked around the desk, moving a little closer to the board. Close enough to see the headings at least. “Kindness, Loyalty, Generosity, Laughter, Honesty, and… Magic?” Some sections of the board had far more names than others, particularly Kindness and Laughter. Those who visited the rental had simple needs. But how could she give a visitor magic? Apparently that was what some wanted, judging by the handful of names scattered there.

She thought the Meyers-Briggs was complicated.

“If you joined our team, which Element of Harmony could you demonstrate?” he continued. “I want to know how you learned about it, what you think about the lessons taught in the Friendship Dialogs.”

“I can…” she trailed off, eyes darting across the diagram. “Why should someone be limited to just one? These aren’t mutually exclusive. Sometimes I guess they interfere—it can be hard to be kind and honest about some things. I’m not even sure what generosity would mean towards a client. They’re paying you for my time, right?”

He clicked his tongue, thoughtful. “You have a strange vibration, Amie. Every virtue at once, you say? Why don’t you start by telling me which of the Elements inspired you most? To make it a little harder, don’t pick Twilight Sparkle. The princess is too easy, and many unicorns who apply mistakenly assume they can demonstrate it all alone. They don’t realize that friendship is Magic.”

Was she talking to a cult leader? Amie tilted her head to the side. She could try to BS an answer, maybe reading off one of the other names from the board. But lying would only make it worse. She needed to be honest about her abilities, even if that meant starting lower. Better not to get a job than to be quickly fired because she didn’t know what she was doing.

“I don’t know what you mean,” she admitted. “Elements of Harmony? Are those not these… virtues up here, on the board? I don’t see one called Twilight.”

His mouth hung open. Bud walked slowly past her, back to the desk. She followed, returning to the other side. He flipped through the book’s pages in glowing magic, looking frustrated. “You don’t even know the Elements of Harmony? Amie—you seem like a lovely young mare. Maybe with enough training, you could add your positive energy to our workplace. But being just good enough isn’t good enough for Rent-a-Friend. That’s why ponies always come back to us—every pony here has something unique. They need that spark, something to remind them of their real friends back in whatever town they came from.”

He snapped the cover closed, settling back in his seat. “I’m not feeling that spark from you, Amie. I don’t think you’d fit in here.”

Another failure. She’d be going back to that warehouse, back to their dwindling food supplies, back to a brother who shouldn’t even be in this situation in the first place. She’d kept him alive, but for how long? They wouldn’t last until Pachu'a returned with his expedition of friendly changelings. Without their help, Stella Lacus was probably doomed too.

I can’t let that happen.

Amie stood, taking one dramatic step back from the desk. “I’ll admit, Mr. Bonzer—I’m not well trained. I’m new to Equestria, I don’t know your culture yet, your traditions. I could study it—but you’re right, that wouldn’t be something unique. But I think you might be overlooking something. You want a spark? Maybe I have one, something no one working at Rent-a-Friend can do.”

He folded his hooves across the desk, watching her seriously. “What’s that, miss? If there’s anything I missed, please. I wouldn’t want to pass judgment without feeling every angle of the energy you bring here. If there’s some other resonance you have, please show me. What makes you different?”

This is a very bad idea. Amie closed her eyes, inhaled sharply—then changed. In a flash of green magic, Healing Touch was replaced by a totally different pony, the Pegasus she’d come up with while copying Tailslide. She spread her wings dramatically, walking right up to the desk.

Bud sat utterly frozen in place. His emotional mask finally broke, and now she sensed something real from him. Shock mostly, with ample fear twinged inside. Something else too, one she couldn’t place. Amie was committed to the act now. “You have staff for each of those virtues, staff who are better at being one kind of friend than another. But I know there are clients who need specific care.”

She concentrated again—this time, the change came quicker. She wasn’t inventing something new, just copying a young pony she’d seen as part of a school group this morning. She was too young to be one of Amie’s own students, not at an adventure camp. Her powers didn’t seem to care. “Do parents bring their kids for a friend? I bet they would get along better with someone their own age. But you couldn’t have a real kid working here, could you?”

She took a breath, then changed again. She was already feeling winded, burning through magic faster than she’d ever done since discovering she had it. Wes had left her with a significant reserve of power, but it wouldn’t last forever. Not if she transformed every few seconds like this.

This time, she picked an earth pony, one of the prospecting types she’d seen making their way across town with heavy bags of tools and worn-looking faces. “Maybe a miner doesn’t trust ponies with wings and horns to know what it’s like to do hard labor? Lucky you, you have someone who can look exactly the way they expect.”

Her mind raced with another option, but she stopped short, settling onto her haunches. The exhaustion of so many changes was too much to sustain, she had to catch her breath. “M-maybe not so fast. It would… probably be better if they didn’t know I could do it. Some secrets are best left behind the curtain. Since I’m a—“

“Changeling,” Bud whispered, breathless. “You’re a changeling.” He vanished from his seat in a flash of light, reappearing beside her. “I thought you were all… insane with hunger. You could barely hold a conversation with a pony without trying to feed on their love.” He stopped, tilting his head to the side. “You know we don’t sell love here, right? Not in Agate, but there’s a place just south where ponies sometimes go for that kind of thing. Not here. Can’t do it with a Royal Guard base.”

Amie shuddered all over. “I’m not working at a brothel, and I’m not mad with hunger.” She turned, meeting his eyes. “You won’t believe me, but… I’m not the same tribe of changelings as the one who invaded. I’m from far away—from another civilization like Equestria. I don’t want to harvest love, but I do want a paycheck.”

He was silent for a long time, his emotions such a confused mess that Amie couldn’t tell what he was thinking. Finally she felt a hoof on her shoulder, pulling her in close. “Now that is exactly what I meant by a spark, Amie. Let’s see if we can bring your vibrations into alignment.”

PreviousChapters Next