• Published 22nd Mar 2022
  • 10,255 Views, 2,538 Comments

Don't Bug Me - Starscribe



Amie was prepared for a difficult season as a camp counselor. She wasn't prepared for her entire summer camp vanishing from Earth, and reappearing in a strange new world. Now they're bugs, in a world that seems to hate them. Survival not guaranteed.

  • ...
27
 2,538
 10,255

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 79

The fire burned low, devouring the wick with rapid speed. "Help! Anypony, please!" Amie screamed, lifting her voice as loud as she could manage. But no answer came—no sound came through the wall at all, in fact.

The magister's bubble of silence is still up. No one can hear me. She was alone, other than the background panic bubbling in her mind from poor Beth. She was still here it seemed, returning now that the threat of torture was gone. It was replaced with something much worse—a threat of agonizing death by fire.

The guards outside radiated their satisfaction and pride at the depth of their achievement. They probably thought Amie was being interrogated right then, spilling all the secrets that would kill her swarm.

She could feel them again. Her would-be killer had removed her restraints, so the “queen” could listen to his message. Would that mean—

Amie focused on the candle, to lift it as she would've done to so many other small objects. Instead, the barrier in front of her sparked and flashed, glowing bright for an instant.

I don't want to die, Amie! It isn't fair... none of this is fair!

Not her thoughts. The bug's own desperation, so overpowering that she almost lost control completely. Beth hopped down off the bed, splashing into ankle-deep oil. Before Amie realized what was happening, she was up against the barrier, pressing towards the candle.

It might not even take until that little flame burned down. Exposed to the air, oil would emit a pungent, flammable gas, ready to leap up and ignite. Down by the ground, the odor was so intense that Amie started coughing. It burned where it touched the holes in her legs, weakening the chitin there. That pain would seem like a very small thing once the fire started.

Don't let me die! Please, counselor... Amie. You have to save me! She struggled forward, touching up against the barrier. It lit up bright purple, forming a shimmering wall that extended exactly as high as her hoof. She expected it to burn, yet—there was no pain.

"If we put that out, someone might come for us. Maybe we could... throw..." Amie levitated one bottle up into the air, holding it ready. There was still a danger the impact might ignite the flame, but if she was careful...

She shoved, lobbing it with as much speed as Beth's magic could muster.

It struck against the barrier, shattering into broken pottery around her.

"It's too smart!" She wasn't sure who said it first—maybe Beth, or maybe her. They shared the same despair. Amie had been so close to peace with Equestria. She made it all the way to their castle, where she could meet the princess and finally negotiate.

"Screw this whole planet!" Beth smacked one hoof into the barrier, as hard as her little body could. The barrier smacked them back with all the force of a solid wall. Except for Amie. She couldn't see it, but she could feel it. While Beth stopped, she kept going. She looked down, staring at the apparent contradiction.

She saw nothing, just a changeling hoof stopping short of the barricade. Curiosity overpowered her terror, and she kept pushing. Her leg pulled free of Beth, extending into the open air on the other side.

"Don't leave me!" Beth screamed, desperate and terrified. She backed away from the barrier, forcing her hoof down. Amie snapped back into place, like an out-of-focus projector adjusted back onto the wall. "I need you here! Whatever happens... at least I won't be alone!"

Amie fought her. Not to let go, she could've done that easily. Rather, she fought for Beth's body, pressing up towards the barrier again. "You don't understand! I think... the princess used magic like this on me before!" She didn't strike the barrier with a hoof this time, but used her face. "The unicorn... said it traps the guilty, remember?"

"Don't leave me here! Amie, please! They already killed Rick! You can't..."

But she could. Through her tears, through the screams and protests of a terrified child, Amie threw herself against the barrier. In an instant she was through, fully severed from the shivering bug behind her.

It felt like tearing through her own flesh, ripping out a little piece of her heart with every new inch. But Amie had felt something like it before, when she used her farcasting to heal a starving bug. But none of those past attempts left her overwhelmed with guilt and betrayal. There was no mind in the worker bugs she wanted to revive, not like this.

Beth let out one last, agonized wail, betrayal as sharp and real as anything Ivy had felt—then Amie was free.

Her hooves splashed down in oil, sharp and acidic. Amie didn't think, didn't stop to try and understand what was happening—she reacted, levitated the candle up into the air, then smashing it up against the stone ceiling. The last embers went out, turning to molten wax against the rock there.

For a few terrible seconds Amie remained there, catching her breath. It wasn't easy, not with harsh chemicals in her lungs.

"You... didn't leave," squeaked a little voice from behind her. An impossible voice—how could Beth still be standing there if Amie pulled them through! "You... saved me. Just like you said."

She spun, splashing through the oil as she did so. Amie loomed over her, much taller than the other bug. Because she was a queen, and Beth wasn't. I'm here! I teleported, just like the fake unicorn did!

She didn't have long to process that impossibility, or the terrible danger she was now in. Beth's body ignited before her eyes, filling the prison with light.

It wasn't oil that burned here—but magic. Amie had seen this before, right before someone stabbed one of her campers with a spear. She turned aside, shielding herself.

It did little good. Magic exploded from the bug, an overwhelming burst of light. The barrier contained it for a second, filling the room with opaque purple energy. Then it broke, sending bits and pieces flying in all directions. Glass bottles shattered, tools toppled to the ground, and the door ripped right off its hinges, bursting outward.

All that power tore the interrogation chamber apart, splashing oil up on every surface, ripping apart the cabinets—but only the debris touched Amie.

Silence ended in an instant, breaking into distant screams and panicked shouts from the guards outside.

Amie wasn't going to get caught flat-footed a second time, not after Ivy had. Her body flashed, changing back into the first form she could think of, the pony that felt most naturally a part of her. Tailslide's girlfriend, the bat.

Bits of broken wood smacked into her, along with waves of oil, coating everything. A little got into her mouth, and she started hacking and spitting, her eyes burning with pain.

Beth landed a second later, splashing down into the oil. She wasn't black now either, but pastel pink, with purple fins and a shiny purple shell. "I don't... I..." She held up her leg, soaked with harsh oil. "The holes are gone."

Soldiers poured in through the opening a second later. Many of them were only half-armored, or carried no weapons. They stumbled and splashed their way into the oil, which was now seeping slowly out into the hall. "Stop where you are!" A few pointed crossbows at Beth or spears, or whatever else they had brought. "What in Celestia's name is going on here?"

They hadn't even noticed Amie at first. She stood up, shaking away bits of oil and slime. None of the guardsponies pointed their weapons at her. "The... magister..." she said, coughing out every word. "He's a changeling. We've been infiltrated. He's headed to the hospital now, to make sure the other prisoner dies. You have to stop him!"

A few soldiers moved towards the door, as though her authoritative command alone was enough to compel them.

But then someone else spoke, someone familiar. The officer who arrested her. He wasn't armored anymore, but wore a light jacket and had his mane slicked back with soap. He still had his spear, levitating in the space beside him. "And who the buck are you, exactly?"

"I'm... Amino Black, Agent of SMILE. Princess Luna teleported me here as soon as she realized what was happening. Send somepony for her right now, she'll want to see this. And... for buck's sake, the hospital! Arrest the magister, or he'll just change into somepony else and disappear. Go!"

Amie wasn't aware of any magic she used on these ponies, no matter what they thought about changeling mind control. But with her energetic shouts, the crowd of disorganized royal guards finally sprang into action. Several broke and galloped away. Whether they left for the hospital or the princess, either way they were doing what she needed.

"That... does not explain anything," the officer finally said, gesturing at the oily floor beneath them, then the not-quite changeling at its center. "It felt like a cannon went off in here. And the prisoner looks... like the other one. Something is very wrong here."

"I share your sentiment, guardsman. And other concerns as well." A dark figure appeared in the doorway, so large she would barely fit through the opening. Amie had seen this creature before, though there was something more subdued in her appearance now. Instead of endless, ever shifting stars, her mane was mostly just hair, with only the occasional suggestion of motion from the tips.

She might be an Alicorn, but the exhaustion, confusion, and guilt boiling in her were no different from the emotions of any other creature Amie had encountered in Equestria.

As she appeared, the guards wearing their uniforms saluted, while those without armor dropped into low bows. Amie did the latter, though her imitation was just a little slower than the rest. Beth alone did not, watching the display with unbroken confusion. Her eyes kept flicking to Amie, watching for her lead. But if she still knew how to transform, at least the bug had the good sense not to do it.

Luna’s horn glowed, and light washed over the room. When it faded, Amie's hooves settled securely onto the stone floor. The fumes choking her lungs faded, and the oil vanished. "It appears somepony wished to silence this prisoner before she could be questioned. I would ordinarily not believe one of my ponies capable of such... brutality."

She gestured, and the guardsponies all straightened. Amie did too, though she had a harder time meeting the princess's eyes. Tired or not, there was a power here that Amie could never equal. This was why Kaya called them overwhelming and irresistible. Except now instead of using a drone for this visit, Amie was here in person—somehow. She could die right here, and doom the whole camp.

"It was not one of your ponies," Amie said quickly, before the others could speak up. "The magister was a changeling. He wished the captives to die before they could speak, to prevent useful information from being known. He's on the way to the hospital now, if he isn't already there. I... don't know if the other bug is still alive. But he won't be if he gets his way."

Luna straightened, banishing the weariness from her face. "Soldiers, let none past these doors. This... bat, and the prisoner, will remain. Allow only my sister or myself to enter. I will return shortly." She vanished again, leaving a shimmering contrail of light in her wake.

The officer recovered first. "You heard the princess. To the door, ponies. Those in full uniform... you four. Hold this position. I will reinforce it shortly. None enter the interrogation room." His eyes fell on Amie, suspicion plainly visible there. "And none leave. Move!"

They moved.

PreviousChapters Next