• Published 22nd Mar 2022
  • 10,233 Views, 2,537 Comments

Don't Bug Me - Starscribe



Amie was prepared for a difficult season as a camp counselor. She wasn't prepared for her entire summer camp vanishing from Earth, and reappearing in a strange new world. Now they're bugs, in a world that seems to hate them. Survival not guaranteed.

  • ...
27
 2,537
 10,233

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 41

Amie could not fly back to the city, even ignoring the boat she had to return. When she was sure nopony was watching—besides the little group of “pegasi” gathering by her campfire—Amie changed again. This time it was the bat self that seemed the more natural.

In some ways, she'd used this body more in one night than any other since the Transit. Maybe she should try to talk Pachu'a into letting her bring a pony with her to the Elders?

But that wouldn't be safe for him, a juicy steak surrounded by hungry carnivores. Whatever was waiting for her and her brother with the other changeling tribe, the last thing Amie was going to do was invite someone else into danger. It would already be difficult enough to protect her brother.

If only she could take to the air and fly back into town. Maybe she should see if Rick or Beth could use the same power she did to control her body instead. Could they teach her to fly the way she'd helped them transform for the first time?

Arranging everything for her departure was a complex endeavor, made more so by the risks to all those staying behind. First she met up with her campers, who were both laying low in her quarters.

She explained the new supply of food, and what the bugs would be expecting from them in exchange. "So Wes and I have to go meet with their leaders. Except... if we leave, we'll lose the Rent-a-Friend."

"Is that a problem?" Wes asked. While Amie spoke, he'd been packing again—this time carefully, instead of just throwing various things into a sack and hoping for the best. They had an entire day, after all. "We were saving money to travel to Canterlot. Your friend is doing that for us."

"It's a problem because... have you seen the building? We have all this space, and my boss wants to hire more help. Changelings who can play any kind of creature they have to. It's not about the money. I'm not even sure what we'll do with that. Maybe buy some farm animals or... not sure yet. But it doesn't matter. We have a job that wants us to be friends with ponies. Being friends gives us food."

She circled around them, tapping up against the door with her hoof. "If we can stay hidden here, I could start bringing other campers over—the oldest ones to work, and the youngest ones to keep safe from Albrecht. They could share some of the food they gather befriending ponies with the younger ones, who hide in these rooms. As of now, the boss has to keep all this floor empty, since we're dangerous and no one else can know we exist. See where I'm going?"

Rick shook his head once. "But you have to leave. Think your boss will let you come back?”

"No. I think you two are about to be us." Amie shed her bat body, striding between them. "You need a way to get fed anyway. Bud has been around me so few times that he probably wouldn't recognize one changeling from another. And he knows I have a brother here. Beth, you get to be a hippogriff. Rick, you could visit the city's libraries as long as you keep your head down and don't lead anyone back here. As a pony, obviously. Beth would have to share some food with you in a few days, when you get hungry again."

"How?" Beth prompted. "That's possible? Of course it is, you're saying it. You can do all kinds of things no one figured out before you."

Amie levitated Pachu'a's gift canteen off a hook, then held it out in front of her. She smoothed the wax so it covered the whole opening, then bit down with her fangs. What happened after was... almost automatic. Not venom, as she would've expected from a snake or similar creature in her place. The bottle shook in her grip for a moment, and she felt her magical reserves emptying. The amount was significant, though given how much more she could hold, it barely drained the level on her growing reserve.

Only when she had filled the canteen did she cap it, then pass it to Rick. "That won't work if you ate meat, only if you fed on emotions. Speaking of which..."

She flicked the fridge open, and tossed everything they hadn't eaten yet into her saddlebag for the trip, along with everything else edible in the apartment. Shame there wasn't more time to cook. "Don't let Rick starve, Beth. I already spoke with Albrecht about transferring over my bugs, but I won't try to orchestrate that while I'm away. For now, don't get caught, and keep the job going with my boss."

They had a little more to explain, little details she'd picked up, helping Beth copy the hippogriff form she'd already designed for the job, and reviewing some details about ponies that she ought to know. Whatever Beth got wrong could probably be brushed off as cultural differences between hippogriffs and ponies. It was a perfect first assignment.

There was only one more task Amie absolutely had to accomplish before she was done—saying goodbye to Ivy. Her friend had just decided to uproot her entire life, even earlier than her father demanded. There was no way she could let the pony just walk away.

She galloped across town to the base, flashed her usual badge, then made her way inside. She found Ivy in her quarters, surrounded by folding boxes half-packed with her stuff.

"Hey," Amie said gently. "Need some help with all that?"

"A—" Ivy took a second to consider, then corrected herself. "Rain Fly. Wasn't sure I'd see you again. My dad was so eager to get rid of me, he organized an entire troop transport just to put me on it. We're leaving first thing tomorrow."

Amie glanced nervously to either side, in case anypony had overheard. But she could see no signs of anyone listening. Even if there were, what would they have heard? Not enough. "That's... rough. I'll have to give you a raincheck on everything else we planned." But I was going to do that anyway since I'm leaving tonight.

They talked for a while about climbing and hiking and rafting and all the exciting things that would now have to wait for another lifetime. Eventually Amie packed up one of the last boxes, and removed one of the few objects in her satchel, holding it in her magic. "I brought you this. It's not much, but... I wanted to give you something to remember me."

It was a photograph, one of the collages she had once used to decorate her staff cabin. It was one of the few that didn't include her family—those were too precious for Amie to part with. Ivy took it, holding it close. "What is it?"

"The city I grew up in," Amie said. "I took that photo myself, during a hike. That's the place I'm trying to get back to. On the back, I copied what we know about traveling worlds. It's not a lot to go on, but... it's something. And now you're holding a genuine artifact of another universe."

Ivy's magic faltered, and her eyes watered. "Y-you shouldn't. You can't get more, once they're gone..."

"Thanks to you, I will," Amie said. "We hope. Though I admit, I don't know how we'll pass that information back and forth." I can't give you my address without telling you where I worked.

The other unicorn tucked her gift away. "That's easy. You can visit! It might take a while—two weeks, maybe three. Then you can find me at my family's estate. It'll be really lonely, I'd love the company."

If only she had another phone to offer her. But carrying something that obvious would definitely be a dangerous risk to take. They were already hanging so much of their hope on one girl going where she didn't belong. The fewer of those risks they left exposed, the better.

"I wish I had something to give you in return," Ivy finished, when they'd sealed the last of her boxes. "I haven't known you that long, but it feels like... feels like it's been months."

Amie shook her head once. "You've already given me more than you know. If you can find that magic, you might even give me back my home. And if not, at least I'll know there are some great ponies in this one. It's nice to know they don't all hate me."

They parted with one last tearful hug. In that moment, Amie learned that some negative emotions could be a feast for her too, under the right circumstances.

Commander Path was just outside the barracks as she made her way out, alone. He gestured for her, keeping his voice a low whisper. "When my daughter leaves this base tomorrow, that's it. Your duty is well done, and now it is finished. Don't let me catch you using base resources anymore."

"I won't, sir." She nodded politely, but didn't salute. "Have a good evening."

She made to leave, but he stopped her with one leg, blocking her escape. "One last piece of friendly advice. A little pony like you shouldn't be adventuring around Agate anymore. We're on the border of an extremely dangerous preserve filled with murderous changelings. They have killed, and they will kill again if they get the chance. It's much harder for my brave ponies to do their job if civilians are putting themselves in harm's way. Don't let them catch you near the border."

He was barely even looking at her. To Path, Amie was hardly a distraction—a soldier whose duty was done and would now fade silently into the background. But if he was more attentive, he might've caught me by now. I should be grateful. "You won't," she promised. "I'll find something less dangerous to do, sir, promise."

That last part was definitely a lie. But the base commander didn't seem to notice. He lifted his hoof, then finally let her leave. Amie turned her back on Agate Base, probably for the last time. May you continue to ignore the changelings moving freely in your own city.

Amie had less time to spend with Tailslide when the final whistle blew, and he left his work. Enough time for her to drag him to the same buffet from their first night together. Only this time, she paid for herself as well, and filled the plate with everything that smelled edible.

To her shock, that was almost everything. Anything based on straw and lettuce still smelled off to her. But to her bat pony nose, the fruit smelled absolutely wonderful, and many of the steamed veggies weren't bad either.

"I didn't think you had much of an appetite," Tailslide said. "That's... a lot. You know they make you pay for anything you don't finish."

Amie answered by devouring an entire mango in a few bites. "And here I am finishing it."

He sat back in his seat, watching her empty half the plate while barely touching his. "That's... how are you doing this?"

"Maybe I'm cured. Finally getting over my illness, thanks to some good friends. Wes has always been able to eat just fine. I could be finding the secret."

There were plenty of other patrons nearby. Tailslide looked around the restaurant, then sighed. "I hope so. I'd like to see every... sick pony from your home get well again." He reached across the table, resting one hoof on hers. "You think last night had something to do with it? I'd love to experiment a little more and find out."

She grinned back at him. "I would too, more than anything. But... Tailslide, I have to go for a bit. I don't know how long—I'm told the trip is a day by rail in each direction."

He jerked his hoof back. "You could've mentioned that last night!"

Several nearby patrons looked up, giving him dirty looks. Even the raucous buffet had its limits. "Might've changed my mind about some things!"

"I'm not leaving!" She hissed under her breath. "The mountain is too important to me. And I've already warned the... you can still stay at my place. Just don't mistake anypony for me."

He ate in silence for a few minutes, attacking his plate like one of Equestria's sworn enemies. "Is there a reason this is happening now?"

How much could she say in mixed company? "I'm saving lives," she said. "Getting food for ponies in need. If I didn't go, they wouldn't eat. I'll be back. But if you don't want to wait... I wouldn't blame you. I have enough bits to cover a ticket back to Cloudsdale, if you want one."

He picked at what was left of his plate. "Is there any reason I can't come with you?"

"Yes," she said flatly. "But I'll be back! So far as I'm concerned, you're still my... coltfriend? That's the word. I'm sure by the time I get back here, I'll be desperate for company. Don't get into trouble while I'm gone."

Tailslide rolled his eyes. "I'm not the one who has to worry."

PreviousChapters Next