• Published 22nd Mar 2022
  • 10,255 Views, 2,538 Comments

Don't Bug Me - Starscribe



Amie was prepared for a difficult season as a camp counselor. She wasn't prepared for her entire summer camp vanishing from Earth, and reappearing in a strange new world. Now they're bugs, in a world that seems to hate them. Survival not guaranteed.

  • ...
27
 2,538
 10,255

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 74

Amie woke in an infinite, featureless wasteland.

Unbroken gray stone extended as far as she could see in all directions, covered only with a thin layer of swirling mist. She stood awkwardly, barely stable on four legs. "Hello? Is anyone... there?"

The nest was gone, along with Tailslide, Mrs. Sobol and the mine. Where am I?

"The end," said a voice. Amie recognized it, though she had only heard it once before. She turned and found a towering figure looming over her. The Alicorn was even more frightening the second time—her mane filled the sky, with stars and swirling nebulae drawn along in invisible currents. "The evil you brought to Equestria ends tonight. Justice will be done."

Scale was meaningless in this place. Amie was less than a child compared to this being, dwarfed by the irresistible might of her magic. She didn't avert her eyes, didn't bow or submit herself to the mighty being. If the princess had already decided to kill her, she would die on her feet.

"There's no justice in murder. You can't end an evil that never happened."

The princess's eyes cut sharper than any knife. Her horn glowed brighter, a heat that could boil her away, or scorch her from the earth. "So many wicked creatures profess before the hammer of judgment falls. But Equestria is not a domain of chaos—here harmony is sovereign.

"Meaning... you?" she asked, defiant. "You're perfect and impartial and you've already decided I should die."

The Alicorn stiffened. Her mane blazed, stars burning as bright as noon sunlight. "I judge you not, queen of evil. As you say, there is no executor that can be trusted with the power of life and death. But spellcraft is no judge—it is naked mathematics. Your guilt will arbitrate. Your sorrows and fears and failures will execute your sentence. Never has it erred."

Amie glared up at the princess, spreading her wings to be as big as possible. But no matter how big she looked; she couldn't protect herself from this magic. More importantly, she couldn't protect Stella Lacus from the consequences of her death.

"I was so close, princess. I united them without bloodshed. I was... building understanding in your citizens. Bridges of diplomacy. You don't have to do this—there's another way."

Her rage cooled, and the light dimmed from her mane. "I know better than most creatures, young queen. There can be no diplomacy with evil. If it's any consolation, no blade swings in solitude. I will witness your judgment. By three blows it comes—in failure, sorrow, and guilt. By three you are convicted, and by three condemned."

Her horn flashed, blinding Amie. She closed her eyes, shielded her face with a leg, but it made no difference. The light pierced her, leaving wisps and shadow behind. It burned, searing every part of her. She opened her mouth to scream but lacked the strength to form words.

Sirens blared in her ears. Amie perched on the edge of the passenger seat, watching Portland's midnight streets blur past outside. There was little traffic on the roads so late at night, but what cars there were parted ahead of them, clearing the route to their destination.

"Don't be so tense, Rookie," the driver said, his voice calm despite the noise and racing speed. But for all his calm, his hair was already half gray. "We'll just be there to wait around until the fire department does their job. Easy shift, easy life."

Amie wasn't a bug anymore, but she wouldn't know it from her clothes. Even the smallest size of stiff blue jacket was too big for her, puffing up whenever she moved. "Y-yeah," she said, laughing nervously. "Sure. Easy first night."

"Didn't take this job because it was easy," Simmons said, nudging her shoulder with one hand. He shouldn't be taking his attention off the wheel, but the distraction didn't faze him. He had perfect control over the ambulance, just like everything else. "You're here to save lives, Rookie. Whatever's waiting for us tonight is your first chance. Just keep breathing until we get there, alright? Don't want my rookie passing out."

The vehicle seemed to slow, as though they had passed into a wall of solid honey. Headlights out her window stretched, leaving luminous contrails behind them. "I do not understand. This place... is not Equestria. It is no secretive burrow. Where is this memory?"

Amie glanced over her shoulder and found Princess Luna in the back of her ambulance. She passed through the gurney as though it weren't there, and her glowing horn pierced the roof. She was insubstantial, while all the world around her remained solid.

"My first night as an EMT," Amie whispered. "A few months before camp."

Up ahead, flashing red and white lights signaled an already waiting fire engine, flanked by police and other support vehicles. "EMT. You are assassins, perhaps? Or soldiers."

"Not exactly." Amie didn't need the vision to show her what was coming. Her heart raced, and her skin paled. She clutched her jacket so tight her knuckles went white. "Simmons—what if he jumps?"

The driver didn't react, except to pull them in right behind the other vehicles. Maybe he couldn't hear her—he couldn't see the glowing horse. "Get the kit, Rookie! Sight and sound. Just think about that nice warm bed when this is over."

She moved by rote, springing out of the side door, then securing her “kit” over her shoulder. The medical bag was heavy enough to slow her down—half as heavy as she was. She kept under control, passing through a scattered crowd of stunned onlookers.

Simmons cleared the way in front of her, with his stocky build and monumental confidence. "EMT. Out of the way, please. Coming through."

Soon they were past the police line, to where several firemen stood, clutching an oversized beige trampoline between them.

Far above, a pale figure perched on the edge of the highest balcony, standing barefoot on the metal railing. Firemen and police were only dim shadows in the hotel room beyond, as close as they could get to the troubled teenager.

"He has no wings," Princess Luna said. "This is not a flight."

It was, in a way. Seconds later, the teenager flew straight down. Amie looked away, but there was no hiding from the sound, the splatter mixed with hard crunching. The firemen missed.

"Blythe, with me!" Simmons didn't hesitate for a second, darting past stunned onlookers towards the crumpled body.

Amie was powerless but to obey, going through the same motions she had that night. She ran for the stretcher, helped load the broken pieces of a kid into it, and spent a ten-minute hospital ride struggling in vain to fight the bleeding.


Amie sat on the curb, clutching the fiery embers of a cigarette. She didn't smoke, hadn't really known what to do with it. But she held it anyway. It was either that, or clutch her bloody knees, rocking back and forth.

"Kid," Simmons called, approaching with a pair of steaming cups. "Don't worry, it's not coffee. Stimulants are the last thing you need right now."

She took it and sipped. Creamy hot chocolate, warm enough to scald her tongue. It did little to fight the cold. Amie tossed her cigarette, smeared it out with one black boot. "Easy shift, easy life," she repeated, wiping tears from her cheeks.

"Hell of a first night." He settled down beside her, nursing his own cup. Its contents were blacker than hers and smelled sharper. "Bastard shouldn't have done that. Not to his family, not to his friends—and not to you." He clasped her shoulder, squeezing firm through the jacket. "Wasn't your fault, kid. He made his choice up on the balcony. What happened after—as inevitable as the tide. Nothing you could've done."

She sniffed, fighting to keep her voice level. Memory or not, it hurt as much as the first time. Crushing heartbreak, the empty cold of dead eyes staring up from a broken body. "How can you be so... calm? Don't you care?"

He released her shoulder. "Of course I do, Blythe. Why do you think I keep this god-awful job? You have to care, or you won't fight as hard as you should. The people who call us—they're one wrong decision away from joining that kid. Make the right ones, and more of them get to go home."

He reached down under his collar, exposing a little wooden cross that hung there. "Greater love hath no man than this, Rookie. I saw you fight like hell back there. Services need more people like you."

He stood, slipping the necklace back under his collar. "Take another minute if you have to. Then we've got to get you out of those. Shower's waiting." He left, vanishing into the dark hospital behind them. Another figure appeared in the parking lot, heedless of the flow of traffic.

There was no traffic anymore. They were frozen, in shimmering amber streetlight under a bright red cross. "Your greatest failure. No failed conquest, no revenge unseized."

Amie tossed the cup aside, turning out her hands. She was still crying—the pain of this moment came as raw as the last time. "There's still blood. That's what you wanted, isn't it? There's death on my shoulders, like you wanted. I lied."

She couldn't sense the horse's emotions, or even see her face through her tears. Her voice remained unreadable, firm. "EMT is..."

"Emergency Medical Technician," Amie finished. "If they thought the kid would jump, they would've sent someone else. Was supposed to be... an easy shift. Didn't want to scare me off." She laughed, her voice stretching past pain to madness. "Thought I would quit, they all did. They were wrong."

The princess spread her wings. Yet the regal confidence that had previously filled her was gone. "Failure does not cut so deeply as the others, even for the guilty. Your sorrow will dig deeper into the wicked soul." Light flashed, and the parking lot vanished.


Amie hid behind a rock. She was thin from hunger, breathless with fear. All the worse since those feelings would draw her attackers to her. They had the same powers she did, after all.

“Run, Wes! Get as far away from here as you can!”

Tears streamed down his face. He rushed towards her, embracing her in the silly horse-way she was used to, resting his head on her neck. “I love you, Amie. You gotta live through this.”

“I love you too, Wes.” She shoved him back as hard as she could, ankle-deep in the river. “Now run! We’re out of time!”

He scampered away into the darkness, leaving Amie to cower in the cold.

"I recognize this place," said a voice that didn't belong there. The princess stood ankle-deep in the water, where she would be in plain view of Amie's attackers. They were getting close now, struggling down the slope. "This is the border of your mountain. Your sorrow—it's here. The night you killed a loyal soldier of Equestria, and almost slew another."

Amie let the shotgun rest in the mud. She already knew she wouldn't need it. "This is the night," she agreed. Fear surged in her, the same desperation that had filled her that night. It was like poison, flowing despite her knowledge. This was only a memory—she already knew the outcome. Yet still she feared.

“It won’t work!” someone yelled, from the other side of the river. “You could try that back on Earth, maybe! But this is Transit! You might as well glow in the dark!”

She crouched lower, curling up against the rock. A few shots went just over her head, whizzing uselessly into the distance.

“I don’t want to fight you!” she yelled back. “Just let us leave!”

It hadn't worked the last time, and it didn't now. The violence of their assault attracted attention that none of the bugs could've seen coming. "For Equestria!"

Then came the battle. Amie hadn't seen it then, and she didn't see it now, keeping her head down and away from the combatants. Luna watched in silence, her spectral form leaving no ripples in the river.

They shouted and raged at her, slaying Gale. But in the end, Tailslide was victorious. He stumbled to the riverbed, pierced with buckshot and leaving a bloody trail behind him.

"They gave no warning," the princess whispered, barely audible to her over the memory. "Attacked on sight."

"Commander Path's orders," Amie muttered back, bitter. "We're monsters. Giving us a chance to talk might let us use our mind control on them."

She hadn't left Tailslide to die once, and she didn't now. She emerged from behind the rock, moving slowly. "The shot must’ve grazed an artery. You’ll bleed to death unless we can close it.”

He spun on her, and his dagger tumbled to the ground. “K-kill me then… monster. Like you killed… Guardsmare Gale. Murder us for protecting our home.”

She set her gun down. "Easy. I don’t want to kill anyone.”

The memory replayed exactly as she remembered. Unlike the last one, Amie didn't lose her patient. She finally stitched up the person she was working on, leaving the first aid kit mostly empty. Only when she was finished did she make her way back over to the river, where the corpses still lay. One fallen pony, and the remains of bugs caught under the water.

"This is your sorrow," said the moon princess, indignant. "Why?"

"Those assholes—the ones who came after me. Could've gone different for them. They thought they were saving their camp. Gale here—she was the same way. But because both of them thought killing was the only way to keep their home safe, they're dead. Because... because of me. Because I wouldn't let them hurt Wes. If I stayed, they would all be alive."

She couldn't know that, of course—she couldn't know how different camp would be if she remained. She was still the one to run, the reason they fell.

The princess finally stood, striding out of the river. "I fear I have... this may be a terrible error, Amie Blythe. Yet I am powerless to turn the blade aside. One strike remains, the swiftest judge of every soul. Your guilt awaits."

Light blinded her one last time.


She was back in camp, a world and a week earlier. She held a microphone in hand, singing to some folk melody or another. Marcus played his guitar, Beth was on the drums, and a few of the other kids did their best to contribute with cowbell, maracas, or whatever other nonsense they could scavenge.

It wasn't the worst performance in the world, though it was pretty bad. But none of the other kids packed into the assembly building seemed to care. They were all terrible, she wasn't guilty about that.

She glanced to both sides, searching for one of her campers in particular. Wes wasn't on the stage—he lingered just behind the curtains, clutching his own guitar in shaking fingers.

Amie didn't think—she passed her microphone to Lily, and stepped off the stage. She rested one hand on his shoulder, urging him towards the stage. "Come on! Everyone performs on the first night!"

Wes pulled forcefully away from her, retreating. He replied in the same hushed whisper, muffled by the performance behind them. "No, Amie. I hate it here. I don't have any friends, I hate the bugs, I hate the sleeping bags, I hate it all." He released the guitar, which hung loosely from the strap. "Called Mom. Said I can get a ride home tomorrow."

Amie barely even saw the ghostly princess. If there was ever a memory she wanted desperately to change, it was this one. But no matter how hard she fought, she couldn't force the words she wanted to say. 'Do it! I'll help you pack! Get as far away from here as possible! I shouldn't have pressured you to come with me!'

Her lips moved against her will. "Lots of kids feel like that on their first night, bro." She wrapped one arm around his shoulder, squeezing tight. "You're not the first one to get overwhelmed. But I think you can do this—you can make friends!"

He was silent for a few seconds, looking back at her. "You... really think so? I've never been very good at it."

"Here you will, promise. There's something special about being stuck somewhere awful with people. You bond over shared suffering. Like you could do right now, by getting up onto the stage with us." She let go, grinning mischievously. "I promise to do the whole last verse out of key, watch!"

He followed her back onto the stage. She sang awfully, truly terribly, so badly that the front row gawked and stared in disbelief. Her own group was so busy laughing that even Wes forgot his anxiety.

Then the music stopped. The audience froze, drifting out of focus like a distant cloud. Only Luna remained, towering over her even while Amie had a stage to stand on. "I do not even understand this moment. I saw... nothing. No monsters."

This time, the tears were new. Amie had only left that night feeling satisfied, and relieved that her little brother would give Stella Lacus a second chance. "He shouldn't be banished here. My brother—he's only in danger because of me. All I had to do was let him leave. He doesn't deserve to be hunted. He didn't hurt anyone."

The stage vanished, taking her memories with it. Amie was on four legs again, weak against the uneven black rock. She was still crying, though.

The spell burned past her again, bringing a fresh wave of heat and pain. It faded rapidly this time, gone before she could blink.

"Neither did you, Amie Blythe. This judgment is concluded with your innocence. May Harmony forgive me."

PreviousChapters Next