• Published 22nd Mar 2022
  • 10,257 Views, 2,538 Comments

Don't Bug Me - Starscribe



Amie was prepared for a difficult season as a camp counselor. She wasn't prepared for her entire summer camp vanishing from Earth, and reappearing in a strange new world. Now they're bugs, in a world that seems to hate them. Survival not guaranteed.

  • ...
27
 2,538
 10,257

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 67

Amie watched from the gift shop as the first groups of hungry campers arrived.

It was late afternoon by the time the first procession finally appeared. These were not bugs who had prepared for a long trip or were used to traveling far while hunting. What she saw were the ordinary campers of Stella Lacus, many exhausted after going so far. And these were just the bugs at the front. Even if she couldn’t see them physically, she could imagine many more behind them, scattered up and down the freeway.

She was not alone in the gift shop. Marcus had joined her, now that the immediate steps they could follow to barricade the burrow were over. There was no chance they would get a vault door over the entrance in a few more hours. Amie hated to gamble—that maybe Albrecht would come up with some eleventh-hour strike against her.

Amie’s true body was still hidden away and would remain that way until the initial danger had passed. Even if the director didn’t try anything, there was still a chance one of his last few remaining soldiers would. Pachu'a had not returned from his trip and had no radio to send messages.

“You took no lives,” said Natane, joining Amie from behind. She had told all bugs to remain inside the sheltered section, except the orange ones with their relief supplies. Amie still held her portion, or what was left of it after healing so many. She could think of few better ways to spend those resources than saving many lives. “Yet you took prisoners. Those who came were not prepared to fight?”

She closed the blinds, tail whipping violently back and forth behind her. Maybe she shouldn’t have lied to Tailslide. She would feel a lot better with at least one pony around that she could trust. Having someone to relieve a little of her tension wouldn’t be so bad either. Her real body was not getting any less desperate for affection when locked in a room.

“One of them attacked me, but I was faster. The others realized I had them outmatched. They saw the weakest campers in Stella Lacus and thought they were a helpless crowd, instead of potential warriors. No one had to die.”

“No?” she repeated, voice mocking. “So now you have captured prisoners willing to strike against you, whispering discord and disunity to your ranks. They will be free to gather a following of like-minded bugs, then move against you when you are least expecting it.”

Marcus glanced at Natane, then back to Amie. He whispered, though in the close quarters of course they would all hear. “You brought someone back to lecture you?”

“I expected slightly less lecturing,” Amie admitted. “But yes. She is wise, and I appreciate any wisdom she has to share with me. You will treat her with the respect of a visiting dignitary. And I know you didn’t get any last time, but she’s the one to thank for both shipments of food.”

The color drained from Marcus’s face. He bowed awkwardly to the orange bug, then backed away. “I think I should be… back by the door. Sorry, Amie.” He darted off.

The first bugs made it into the parking lot. She waved for the orange bugs to stay in place, supplies and all. “I don’t want you out in the open. I’ll bring them in here, and you can feed them. Remember there’s a thousand bugs here, so be conservative.”

Si'tsi grunted in response. She had perched up on a counter of stuffed toys, posing in the fluffiest of the bunch. Native animals, wolves and deer mostly. It would’ve been cute if Amie wasn’t so tense. “If you say so. I can tell you’re not gonna break your promise. Not that I thought you were. Green, not blue. It isn’t your fault your colors look the same when it’s dark.”

Amie emerged in the parking lot. She was still playing the black unicorn with a green coat, tall and mature as she had learned ponies could look. Even the older campers would be longing for their parents by now, even if they never admitted it.

She wanted to make sure the orange tribe didn’t have their emissaries murdered. It only took a few seconds with the new arrivals to tell that they had no intention of violence. They came from cabins all across camp. In a few seconds of conversation, Amie gathered what they had come for. These bugs were the bravest. They wanted to see if she would really do what she said. If they never came back—their friends would know.

She made sure they were all fed. She sent them in one at a time, that way she could speak to the others about any bugs who were getting weak and lethargic, or having trouble speaking. She took down each cabin and description where a camper like that was staying.

“I need you all to listen to me,” she told them, as soon as they were all fed. “Your friends who get like that—it is very important that whenever this happens, you tell me immediately. If I get them treatment, I can stop them from going comatose and ending up in the multipurpose room. Once that happens, they might never wake up. But catch it first, and we can save them. Do you understand?”

She got many nods. Full bugs were more willing to listen, and more attentive to her. A few had even stolen plush toys from the gift shop, tucking them under wings or legs. She pretended not to notice. “You could give us more food,” someone suggested. “If it’s so important, you shouldn’t just take their names. You should feed them now.”

“I will feed them tonight,” she promised. “Find out if there are more and get word to me. You can tell your counselors I’m using frequency 31.”

Despite the urgency of the situation, none of those bugs had come. At least—none came in the first wave. As she sent away the first group, another, larger group broke from the trees. Almost as though they’d been waiting there the entire time, to see what she would do. Only this one had over a hundred bugs, led by many of Amie’s colleagues. The ones who weren’t brave enough to stand up to Albrecht.

No, she had to tell herself. Some of them are barely more than kids themselves. We’re not old enough to fight a tyrant. They were just helping the way they knew how.

Most of these bugs carried nothing—but a few had backpacks. “Everyone line up by cabin!” she called, as they approached. “Like we’re having an assembly. I don’t want too many bugs inside at once. We’ll take it slow.”

Mona approached from the crowd, disregarding the instructions. Her own group was with her now, though not following just behind. She didn’t have a yellow sash like the other counselors. Because of course they had replaced her after she “died.”

“You woke me up,” Mona said. “But now you’re taking over Stella Lacus. Is that it? Albrecht was right all along?”

She shrugged her wings—or tried. Amie was a unicorn, so didn’t have them right then. She almost transformed to get them back but resisted the urge. The fear she felt from these desperate bugs did not need more fuel. “I have powers he doesn’t. I’m going to use them to feed Stella Lacus. There’s no time to prove my innocence or turn myself in and wait for his decision. We need food now. We’re just lucky that changelings can go awhile with little to eat, or it would already be too late.”

It was already too late for dozens of bugs. By the time power was fully in her hooves, it would probably be too late for another dozen more at least who slipped through the cracks.

Mona moved closer to her, whispering into her ear. “Albrecht did it on purpose. He rationed the food you brought to last months. He was protecting older kids, and adults. This was triage, to preserve the camp as long as possible. No one wanted to do it, but no one could come up with another option. There was so little.”

Amie’s stomach twisted in her gut. It didn’t help that she was hungry all over again, the gnawing that came from wanting something physical. No wonder the orange tribe kept at least a little food all the time—queens needed it. Or at least her body did, for reasons that could not possibly be egg related.

“If survival costs our humanity, we shouldn’t survive. We’re better than that, Mona. And I think you are, too. You were in that hospital; you gave your food away.”

It wasn’t a question. The bug started to weep, strangled. “I couldn’t watch it happen. Not to my girls. They didn’t ask for this.”

Amie patted her shoulder. “Stay here. I’ll protect you.”

The next few hours went like the ones that came before. Amie waved bugs through in groups. A few arrived with hostility churning away in their guts, mostly other counselors. Amie kept their cabins back, calling the others up enough for them to see that she was serious. They could hate her if they wanted, but Amie would see them fed.

Another two dozen or so bugs asked to stay with her, and she sent them on to Marcus further inside. Some were volunteers, others were helpless. Most were horrifyingly weak, even the volunteers.

Mona’s whole cabin decided to stay, along with the nerds and geeks from the robotics cabin. Many of them seemed to already know about her magic, from bits and pieces whispered by Amie’s own messages.

It was dark by the time the traffic stopped flowing, and the last bug vanished from the road. She left a drone with instructions to watch and report, then finally retreated back inside.

“How much is left?” she asked Si'tsi, who was at that moment gathering up and sorting metal containers.

“Without knowing what my master has left? I have half of what I carried. All of what Natane brought is gone. And then there is the sum that you ingested.”

“I couldn’t tell you in Drachma, but I think I used about a third of it to heal all those bugs and feed my campers. Or are you going to complain that restoring workers doesn’t count as a proper use of your donation?”

Si'tsi stiffened, flipped her satchel closed, then hopped down off the counter. “No, queen of another tribe. You are a creature of honor, and I was wrong to suspect otherwise.”

She nodded. “And are you a creature of courage? I have an assignment for you, if you are bold enough. If you aren’t, I can give it to your teacher on his return.”

The bug puffed out her chest, spreading both wings. “I am the bravest hunter in all of Sonoma!”

A few minutes later, she vanished into the night, carrying a single jar of glamour, and a list of the cabins with bugs who would soon suffer the “souldeath.”

It was mere minutes later before a drone sprinted down the tunnel, calling in a wordless screech. Amie hadn’t even made it to the propane lamp to see how her bugs were doing inside, but she made it back out. Just in time to see Pachu'a enter the parking lot, leading another dozen or so bugs behind him. From the sorry smell, she could infer his mission was a success.

“I saw my student flying overhead,” he said, the first to step into the gift shop. “You did not goad her into risks, did you?”

“No. Just more humanitarian relief. What happened up there?”

“We did,” someone said. She didn’t recognize them, though from their age they were clearly an adult. Wait, was that—the network nerd guy! She should remember his name.

“This bug said you sent him to feed us. And we all heard the radio… seemed like joining up with the girl with food made sense. God knows Albrecht didn’t need me anymore, unless I was setting up a tracker to figure out where you were hiding. Idiot.”
Amie waved them inside with one leg, beaming. “You’re all welcome here. We need all the help we can get.”

PreviousChapters Next