• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 20,909 Views, 2,382 Comments

Bear, Scribe and Paladin - Speven Dillberg



The Courier takes the Lone Wanderer and a former Brotherhood Scribe to Equestria

  • ...
51
 2,382
 20,909

14: Fathers and Fillies

SatCom Array NW-05a, mid-2280

“God damn that bitch,” a Talon Company merc muttered, looking at the fight through a pair of binoculars.

“Why do you think we brought forty men?” the second asked, throwing his cigarette butt over the edge of the railing they were standing on.

“She’s gone through about fifteen of them already,” the first one replied, his voice a mix of worry and anger.

“It’s a good thing that ghoul bitch managed to figure out how to get that missile satellite working.” The second merc opened the door to the inside of the array and stepped inside. “Fucking miracle we got those parts too.”

“Tell me about it.” The first followed, sitting down at a small terminal. He handed the binoculars to his companion. “Here, take this and tell me how bad things are going. I don’t want to kill good men.”

“Yeah,” the second muttered, taking them and stepping outside. “What the fuck kind of name is Highwater-Trousers, anyway?” he asked when the door shut.


“Now what in tarnation were you girls thinkin’, stowing away like that?” Applejack asked harshly, her sister cowering under her glare.

“But you seemed so sad!” the crimson-maned filly replied.

“What if you got hurt?” Rarity asked, looking at her sister with worry.

“We were being careful!” Sweetie Belle answered. “We made sure we had cushioning and everything!”

“But what were you even thinking, sneaking in like that?”

“When that guardpony came to the farm and told ya that ya had to go to Canterlot, ya looked so sad!” Apple Bloom explained.

“Yeah, and then we decided that if we came to Canterlot too you’d be happy!” Sweetie exclaimed enthusiastically.

“Um, girls...” Fluttershy murmured. “Does anypony know you’re here?”

“Ah left a note for Granny and Macintosh,” Apple Bloom replied.

“And I told Mom and Dad you said I could go to Canterlot with you,” Sweetie replied timidly.

“Why didn’t you just ask?” Applejack asked. “It woulda been safer than hidin’ in a suitcase,” the farmer pointed out.

“You wouldn’ta let us!” Apple Bloom protested loudly. “Ya woulda j-just told us to go back h-home!” she said, tears starting to form.

“Yeah!” Sweetie answered in kind, nodding. “And what if the Diamond Dogs came back?” she asked, sounding a little scared. “I-I don’t want to end up in a cage again...” she muttered as she turned away.

Apple Bloom flinched and curled up slightly when her friend said that. Though it had been months since Thomas had rescued the fillies, they still hadn’t truly gotten over the experience. It wasn’t just something one could sleep on and get over, either. Rarity remembered her mother telling her that Sweetie had had nightmares about the ordeal.

The unicorn scooped up her sister and hugged her tightly. “I’m so sorry, dear. I shouldn’t have yelled.”

“We were just worried, is all.” Applejack was comforting her sister as well. “Of course you can stay with us.”

The ponies present, which included all their friends and Princess Celestia, looked at this display of sisterly affection fondly. This heart-warming moment was tactfully shattered by Rainbow Dash. “Hey, where’d Scootaloo go?”

The other ponies took a moment to look around, suddenly worried about the potentially wayward pegasus filly. They didn’t have to search far, quickly finding her tucked under the wing of a stallion of the Night Guard. They stared for a moment as they watched as the stallion hold a hoof up against Scootaloo’s head.

“Ow! Dad, stop!” the filly said as she tried to escape the noogie.

“Oh, no. Stowing away in luggage? I should ground you for a year!” Despite the stallion’s words, it was quite clear to everypony that he wasn’t serious. “And what do you think your mother’s gonna say when she finds out?”

“You’re gonna tell Mom?” The orange filly stopped her protests and looked up at her father. “You wouldn’t.”

“I might just have to,” the stallion said with a smile. He looked up and blinked when he realised that he had garnered an audience. “Eh-heh... Sorry about that, your highness, improper of me.”

“Oh don’t worry,” Celestia said jovially. “It always warms my old heart to see family together, Sergeant. Especially given your circumstances.”

The other ponies took a moment to comprehend just how informal the Princess was being. “Well, um, thank you, your highness,” the stallion replied awkwardly, unfurling his bat-wing to let his daughter drop to the ground. Scootaloo hit the ground with a clop and rushed over to rejoin her friends.

“Yer dad’s in the guard?” Applebloom asked, having escaped her sister’s embrace. “How come ya never said anythin’?”

“You never asked,” the pegasus replied.

Before any further conversation could be had, the throne room doors opened. Shining Armor stepped in, followed by the other Knight, her face still obscured by her helmet. He raised a hoof to try and quell the six mares’ questions. He caught sight of the three fillies and raised an eyebrow before dismissing it as relatively unimportant. “I’m guessing you want to know more about why you’re here,” he started.

“That won’t be necessary, Commander,” Celestia interrupted serenely. “I have already explained to them everything they need to know.”

“Ah still can’t believe we’re really that important,” Applejack muttered.

“Despite what a lot of ponies might say, you six are the most important ponies in Equestria outside the Princesses. Your safety is paramount,” Shining said. “And there’s another reason you six - well, nine - are here. The Courier has returned.” There was silence. “And you already know,” he said dejectedly.

“Twilight mentioned it on the train ride up here,” Rainbow commented.

“I never got to throw him a party!” Pinkie said angrily. “He’s getting one this time, even if I have to tie him to a chair!” The other ponies looked at the pink mare strangely. “What?” she asked innocently.

“Wasn’t he the one that saved us from the Diamond Dogs?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Yeah!” Apple Bloom added. “He had that scary helmet on and that strange stick thing.”

As the Cutie Mark Crusaders started talking excitedly amongst themselves, the door behind them opened. “Can I come in yet?” Veronica asked, poking her armoured head around. The ponies gasped at the sudden appearance of the expressionless metal mask. “Should I take that as a yes?”

“What is that!?” Rarity asked loudly, pointing a quivering hoof at the helmet.

“Nice to meet you too,” Veronica replied, acid in her words. She stepped in and looked around. “What?” she asked in response

“Thomas brought some companions with him,” Shining explained.

“That’s Veronica,” Twilight added.

“Cool, a robot!” Scootaloo exclaimed as she and the other Crusaders stepped closer.

“Why does everyone think I’m a robot?” the Scribe asked as she pulled off her helmet. The removal of the obstruction to her view allowed her to get a better look at the ponies. Mainly, the Cutie Mark Crusaders. “Oh my god, they’re so adorable!”

“Hey, I’m not adorable!” Scootaloo argued in the face of all the evidence against her statement.

“Can I hug them?” Veronica asked eagerly, her smile getting wider and wider. “Please?”

Rarity and Applejack looked at each other uneasily. “Ah guess?”

In response, the Scribe let out a happy squeal and scooped up Sweetie Belle, catching the filly off-guard. “Woah!”

“You’re so cute!” Veronica squeaked as she gently hugged the little unicorn. The gathered ponies looked at this display with complete confusion.

“Your armour’s cold,” Sweetie said quietly, her mind still playing catch-up. Why was she in the figure’s grasp?

This statement was just enough to shake Veronica out of her cuteness-induced state. “Sorry,” she said awkwardly as she carefully put Sweetie down.

“That’s okay,” the little unicorn said sweetly as she rejoined her friends. She was immediately bombarded with questions, while the adults raised their own concerns.

“So, what are ya, exactly?” Applejack asked.

“What are you doing here?” Rainbow Dash added.

“What is that atrocious armour?” Rarity asked, trying and failing to keep her disgust hidden.

“Are you going to stay for a party?” Pinkie asked, not even attempting to mask her excitement.

“Well, I’m a human like Thomas, a girl, though. I don’t know why Thomas brought me here, something about keeping my mind off things, this armour has saved my life multiple times, I don’t care how it looks and if I have to drug Thomas and tie him to a chair, sure,” the Scribe rattled off, pointing to each pony as she answered their questions. “Any more questions?”

They blinked, remembering how Thomas had at least the decency to go into some detail. The only problem was that there was nothing else to really ask.

“She’s from the same place Thomas is,” Twilight explained, hoping to fill the awkward void. “There isn’t really much point asking her anything, we’d just get the same answers.”

“Hey, what kind of assumption is that?” Veronica asked in mock indignation. “Besides, you were the one begging for information about the Brotherhood. Now I might not tell you anything,” the Scribe said cheekily.

Twilight sputtered as her friends laughed at her expense. “What’s this Brotherhood?” Rainbow asked. “Sounds kinda awesome.”

“The Brotherhood of Steel, a bunch of xenophobic technophiles,” Veronica explained. “They’ve been around since the end of the world, though all the chapters on the West coast are gone.”

Veronica then went into a simplified explanation about the Brotherhood, including its history and philosophy. The ponies didn’t like some of what they had heard, but remained a polite, if noisy audience.

“I have no idea what anything’s like in the other chapters,” Veronica lied. “But, I know someone who does.” She paused, a look of unease marring her features. “Um, she’s a little... sensitive.”

Twilight, Celestia and Shining Armor shared a look of concern. “It might be best to introduce her to you one by one,” the princess suggested.

“Come on, how bad could it be?” Rainbow asked dismissively.

“Yeah, Dom’s a big girl. Just don’t make any comments about her appearance,” Veronica advised. “She might get violent.”

“Oh my,” Fluttershy mumbled. The Scribe had to stop her from hugging the dainty pony. “Is it really that bad?” Around her the other ponies muttered to each other, wondering just how bad it could be.

“It’d be easier to show you. Paladin!” Veronica called out, eliciting an “eep!” from Fluttershy.

“I thought I told you to call me Dom,” the ghoul said as she stepped in cautiously.

There was close to a full minute of silence as the ponies just stared at the ghoul. One could almost hear the gears grinding in their heads as they to comprehend what they were seeing. Pinkie was the first to open her mouth. She raised a shaking hoof at Dom and stammered “Z-z-zom - ”

“Okay, that’s it! You had your chance!” Dom yelled as she stormed out.


Thomas was shunted into the room unceremoniously by the guard. The door closed ominously and he turned around to see that he was standing in Luna’s room. The dim lighting made it hard to see, so he turned his Pip-Boy screen’s brightness up.

Princess Luna was laying on a bed, fixing a stern gaze on him. “Thomas, do you know why I brought you up here?” the princess asked.

“Uh...” Thomas said uncomfortably. “Crazy, angry sex?” he asked jokingly.

Luna simply gave him a look. “No,” she said seriously. “Nothing like that.”

“This is about how I...”

“Left without even a goodbye? Yes.” Thomas flinched at how forceful she sounded. Never before had he truly understood the phrase ‘Hell hath no fury like that of a woman scorned.’ He was beginning to get a feeling what was meant.

“I can understand how eager you were to depart,” Luna answered. “I have been both soldier and diplomat, and the yearning to see home is a great one. That desire does not give you a reason to simply abandon your newest friends with barely a ‘fare thee well’,” she finished sharply.

The Courier had faced many terrifying things. The horror of the Sierra Madre, the desolation of the Divide, the Deathclaws of Quarry Junction, Cazadore nests... Yet this angry pony somehow managed to top the list. Not that he would ever admit such a thing.

“I... I wanted to avoid all that talk,” Thomas said as he began to pace. “I knew how it was going to go. Talking about how you feel about me, and how you don’t think it’s right, and how we should avoid any sort of - ” His rambling was cut off by an amused snort.

“I’m sorry, did you think a relationship is what I am interested in?” Luna asked, holding a hoof to her muzzle. “No, no. I knew it couldn’t work, and I am not that fond of you. What happened that night was because of alcohol and a lapse in judgement.” She lowered her hoof and returned to scowling at him. “No, what angered me is that you decided to just disappear without letting me tell you that.”

“So... you’re not going to try and maim me?” Thomas asked hopefully. When she nodded, he let out a sigh of relief. “Thank god. I was worried you’d break my legs.”

“Oh no. It wouldn’t be right for me to injure the father of my unborn child.” There was a short pause, followed by a large black man hitting the ground with a thump. Luna peered over her bed and looked at Thomas’ body. “Hmm. That may have been a bit much. Guards!” she called out. When one of them poked their head in, she gave him an order. “Please, carry him to the throne room.”


Author’s Notes:

I’ve never been too good at emotional stuff. There was that one story where I had the main character off himself because the one he loved had died that reduced people to tears, but that was an alternate ending... Anyway, I may have slightly messed up.

Yeah, fuck that ‘Scootaloo the orphan’ crap. It’s overdone. Just because we haven’t seen any of her family on-screen doesn’t mean she has none. We haven’t seen any of Rainbow’s family, or Fluttershy’s. But we don’t make THEM orphans, do we?

It has been a while since I’ve played New Vegas, so I’m worried I’m messing up Veronica’s personality a bit. Am I?

A little reminder, this fic diverges completely after the Season 2 finale. So, anything from future episodes, including Crystal Ponies, does not occur and I will not be writing to accommodate them.