• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 20,901 Views, 2,382 Comments

Bear, Scribe and Paladin - Speven Dillberg



The Courier takes the Lone Wanderer and a former Brotherhood Scribe to Equestria

  • ...
51
 2,382
 20,901

01: Prologue

~Seven months after the Second Battle of Hoover Dam~

Lucky 38 Casino

“Veronica, get up.”

“Mmmh.”

Thomas sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. The former Brotherhood of Steel Scribe had been like this for the past three weeks, passed out in the suite he gave her from too much alcohol. It was a small miracle that it had taken so long before she turned to the bottle. “Veronica, you can’t keep doing this to yourself.”

“What else am I meant to do?” she asked, still face-down in her pillow. “I tried to leave peacefully, and they tried to kill me.”

“I was there, remember?”

“Yeah, yeah.”

Thomas grimaced as he left the room. He missed the snarky woman he had first met at the 188 Trading Post. He really hoped something would happen to get her out of her funk.

Airspace over the Colorado River

“Do you know what we can expect?”

“No idea Kodiak, we haven’t had any contact with any chapters this far west in years.”

The Vertibird, a VTOL aircraft designed pre-War and perfected by the Enclave, soared through the air towards Hoover Dam. The occupants, though, were certainly not Enclave. For starters they would never allow an unrestrained ghoul to ride as a passenger.

“Either way, we’re looking at something,” the ghoul said, looking out the cockpit. “That tower’s all lit up.”

“Yeah, though whether that’s good or bad - ” Sentinel Sarah Lyons was cut off before she could continue by the crackling of the radio.

“This is Colonel Henry Smith of the New California Republic. You have twenty seconds to give your name and purpose here in the Mojave. Failure to do so will be seen as an act of hostility and we will react as necessary.”

The pilot flicked a switch and spoke into the headset she wore. “This is Sentinel Sarah Lyons of the East Coast Chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel, we are here to try and re-establish contact with any chapters in the region.” She took a breath as she killed the connection. “Hope that’s enough...”

There was a tense silence. “You have clearance to land on Hoover Dam, follow the blinking lights for the landing zone. You are to keep your weapons within the Vertibird. Failure to do so will be seen as an act of aggression,” the voice warned ominously.

The four Brotherhood members glanced at each other, not sure what to make of the situation. “Anyone else got a bad feeling about this?” the ghoul asked.

Five minutes later, Hoover Dam

The small garrison of NCR troopers stood at attention, ready to act if the occupants of the recently-landed Vertibird proved hostile. Atop one of the small towers dotted along the dam was a small team of explosive experts, Boomers who had taken the opportunity to leave and donate their skills to the Republic’s military. They had a pair of missile launchers pointed at the aircraft, ready to turn it into a smoking pile of scrap in an instant.

The side door opened, and the soldiers got a small shock when a ghoul jumped out. Wearing the bastard child of combat and power armour, as well as a Pip-Boy 3000, she looked around before making way for the other three occupants. They were more to their expectations, each one wearing a set of slightly battered T-45d power armour.

The ranking NCR officer went to the small group and saluted. “I am Colonel Smith. I apologise for the radio transmission, we can’t be too careful,” he said apologetically.

“I can respect that,” replied the fully-armoured Brotherhood soldier in the middle. “I am Sentinel Sarah Lyons. The others with me are Paladin Kodiak,” the one on the left waved, “Knight Captain Dusk,” the one to her right nodded, “and Paladin Esposito.” The ghoul nodded before giving a crude salute.

“Forgive me for asking, but I thought the Brotherhood hated ghouls?” the colonel asked.

“I was a Paladin before this happened,” Paladin Esposito rasped.

“And we’re not going to ask her to leave,” Sentinel Lyons added. “She’s one of the best Paladins we have. You don’t want to get into a knife-fight with her.”

“I’ll take your word for it,” the colonel responded skeptically. “You said something about linking up with other Brotherhood chapters, didn’t you?” Lyons nodded. “Well, we have a scribe from the Mojave chapter here helping us get the dam working at full capacity. I suggest you talk to her about a meeting with their Elder.”

“Thank you,” the Sentinel replied. “What about the California chapter? We haven’t had any contact with them in over a decade.”

The troopers glanced at each other nervously. “It might be best to talk with the Elder here,” the colonel said, evading the topic.

Freeside

“Look, Veronica, I don’t care, you’re going to the Followers! I’ll drag you there if I have to!”

“Let me go!”

“Do you want those Brotherhood guys from the east seeing you drunk and smelling like vomit?” Thomas asked as he pulled the whining woman after him.

“Like it matters, I bet they’re just like those close-minded idiots here,” she said petulantly.

“They have a ghoul with them, a Paladin at that.”

That was enough to shake her out of her depression. “Wait, they have a ghoul that high-ranked?”

Thomas used this opportunity to pull her harder. Before they knew it, they were at the Old Mormon Fort. Unfortunately, trying to open the door and hold onto the struggling woman was difficult. “Hey!” he yelled, hoping to catch someone’s attention. “Little help!?”

The large wooden doors opened and he was greeted by a blonde, bespectacled man in a lab coat. “Oh hey Thomas,” Arcade Gannon said happily. Then he noticed Veronica. “That bad, huh?”

“She needs a detox, Fixer and something to repair her liver,” he said. “She needs to be at her best for a meeting with the Brotherhood.”

“We can do the first two, but the third’s gonna require a miracle,” Arcade replied. “And the Brotherhood? Didn’t she leave them?”

“Different chapter. They seem a lot more open-minde - Fuck!” Veronica had managed to get out of Thomas’ grip and was running. “Get back here!” he yelled, giving chase.

Hoover Dam

“Thank you, Scribe,” Sentinel Lyons replied unhappily.

“Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,” the short brunette replied.

“We had our suspicions that they tried something stupid, just never thought it was that bad.” Sarah sighed under helmet. “So it’s just the Washington chapter, the one here and the one in Chicago?”

“There’s one in Chicago?” the Scribe asked. “First I’ve heard.”

“From what I know, they split from the West Coast chapters before ours did. I guess there’s the chance they never told you?”

“Don’t know why the Elder would keep that from us,” she answered uneasily.

“Er, Sentinel?” Sarah looked at the NCR trooper who had called for her. “The Colonel would like a word with you.”

“One moment.” She turned to the Scribe. “Again, thanks.”

“Hey, anything to do with knowledge is my job,” the Scribe replied happily, turning back to the machine she was working on. “I’ll let you in the armour walk into the meat grinder.”

Sarah chuckled. “You have no idea.” She turned back to the trooper. “So, what does he want?”

“He said that he managed to get clearance from General Hsu to have your Vertibird land at Camp McCarran,” the trooper explained as they walked. “Also, a friend of the Republic has offered four high-end suites at his casino as a gesture of goodwill.”

“Really?” Sarah asked, her eyebrows raised. “Why would they do that?”

“I don’t know,” the trooper replied as they emerged into the open air. “All I know is that he could have taken over the whole Mojave but didn’t want to.”

Sarah didn’t know what to make of that as she made her way to the Vertibird. Kodiak and Dusk were there, along with Colonel Smith. “Colonel, I want to thank you for getting us permission to land at Camp McCarran.”

“It was actually pretty easy. General Hsu’s always been pretty level-headed,” Henry replied. “Ah, there’s your ghoul.”

“I don’t belong to no-one!” Paladin Esposito retorted as she made her way back, a smile on her face.

“Where’d you go, Dom?” Kodiak asked.

“Found a few explosives enthusiasts, taught them how to make Nuka-Grenades.”

“You didn’t,” Dusk replied. “Did you?”

The ghoul shrugged. “They asked nicely. I couldn’t just refuse them.”

“The Boomers asked a ghoul politely?” Colonel Smith asked. “I always thought they were a bit too close-minded,” he commented quietly.

“You start talking about anything that goes ‘Kaboom’ and they’re real friendly,” Esposito replied with a shrug. “I’d suggest staying away from them if you see them with a tin can,” she added.

“Get into the Vertibird, Dom,” Sarah said as she placed her hand on the front of her helmet. “I want to apologise for any trouble that happens.”

“How worried should I be?” Colonel Smith asked as the Paladins clambered back into the Vertibird.

“I’ve seen one level a house. Keep an eye out for any blue fireballs.” Before he could respond, she jumped into the cockpit and started the engines. “What the fuck were you thinking, Dom?” she asked.

“What?” she asked innocently.

Lucky 38 Casino

“Thanks, Arcade.”

“Yeah, thanks. Sorry for how I was acting.”

“Hey, don’t worry about it,” the doctor replied happily. “We’ve had worse, trust me.”

Veronica hung her head in shame. “Still can’t believe I needed that, though.”

“Honestly, Veronica, you did a damn fine job, holding on until now,” Thomas replied. “Now, how about you put on a dress and get ready to meet those Brotherhood folks?”

“Why are you so eager to get me to meet them, anyway?” she asked as she headed for the elevator, walking among the various patrons.

“A change of scenery, new faces, something about a giant robot...” he muttered. As the lift whisked Veronica away, he turned to Arcade. “Hard to believe, huh? Six months ago this place was covered in dust.”

“And now it’s one of the most popular casinos in the Strip.” Arcade looked at a couple sitting at a roulette table. “And the NCR haven’t made a complete mess of governing Vegas. Yet.”

“How’s work with the Followers?” Thomas asked as he led the scientist to the bar.

“A lot less addicts now. We have the Kings to thank for that. The ones we do get are a bit like Veronica, pretty calm about everything.” He sighed as he pulled up a seat. “Not much luck finding alternatives to medicines though.”

“Well, good luck with that.” Thomas turned to the bartender. “Give him whatever he wants, he’s a friend.”

“You know I’m not one for drinking, Thomas.”

“You look like you need one,” he replied. “You don’t need to get something really strong, just enough to take off the edge.” Before he could go any further towards convincing his friend, someone tapped his shoulder. “Yes?” he asked, turning around.

“Someone here to see you, boss. Three in power armour, and a ghoul,” replied the suited man, an employee.

“Ah, the Brotherhood,” he said as he stood up. “Sorry Arcade, gotta go. Seriously, drink something. It’s on me.”

“Fine,” he said as Thomas walked away. “Uh, I’ll have a Rum and Nuka.”

Thomas walked up to the Paladins and Sentinel, who were looking around in awe. “Wow,” the ghoul said.

“This is amazing,” Kodiac replied, taking off his helmet.

“You got that right,” Dusk replied, removing hers as well.

“Hello,” Thomas said as he approached. “The name’s Thomas Jefferson.” They started snickering. “Yes I know, laugh it up.”

“Jefferson? Really? God that is unfortunate,” Kodiak muttered.

“Better than Dawn, right?” Dom muttered. In response, Dusk smacked her in the back of the head. “Worth it.”

“Cut it out, you two.” Sentinel Lyons pulled off her helmet. “Sentinel Sarah Lyons, of the East Coast Chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel.”

“Knight Captain Dusk,” the other woman introduced herself. Unfortunately, Thomas began to snicker as well. “What’s so funny?” she asked, threateningly.

“Sorry, sorry, personal in-joke,” he answered, to which he received a confused stare.

“Paladin Kodiak,” the black man introduced himself as.

“Paladin Esposito,” said the ghoul.

“A Pip-Boy?” Thomas asked, looking at her arm. “That’s some valuable tech.”

“Yeah, got it on my tenth birthday. Vault tradition,” the ghoul said.

“So, anyway, what brings you to Vegas?” Thomas asked as he led them towards the lift.

“We’re establishing contact with any chapters in the region. We’ve got a meeting with Elder McNamara in a few days,” Sarah said as the doors opened.

“Oh!” Standing there was Veronica, wearing a gown that had been taken from the White Glove Society. “Hi there.”

“Ladies and gentleman, this is Veronica. She left the Brotherhood for being too progressive,” Thomas said, introducing her to them as they entered the elevator.

“All I wanted to do was help people. All they wanted to do was stay shut in a bunker until they died,” she explained. “Like I was gonna do that.”

“Sounds like... well, let’s just say I know the feeling,” Dom replied, sounding a little unhappy. “At least you got away from them.”

Veronica’s expression soured, and Thomas quickly steered the conversation in another direction. “So, what’s Washington like?”

“An armpit of a ruin,” Dom answered. “We cleared out the Muties, but the Raiders just don’t get the message.”

“I don’t know where they keep coming from,” Kodiak added.

“Hey, means more target practice,” Dusk said with a smirk. She turned to Thomas. “You seen what a .308 hollow-point does to the human skull?”

Thomas answered with a question of his own. “You know what a .50cal explosive round does to a Deathclaw?”

The members of Lyon’s Pride watched as the jaw of their dedicated sniper hit the floor. “Show me that gun,” she said pleadingly.

Thomas chuckled as the doors opened to reveal the cocktail lounge. “You should feel lucky, not many folks get to see this view.”

“Y’know, I’ve been up here plenty of times, and it still amazes me,” Veronica said as she moved to one of the great windows to look at the stars.

“How the hell did these windows last two centuries?” Dom asked as she did the same.

Lucky 38 Presidential Suite, two days later

“So, what, you want me to tell Sarah I’m gonna disappear for a few weeks?”

“Something like that,” Thomas answered as they entered the lift.

“She’s not gonna like this one bit,” Dom growled.

“You talk to her, I need to see Veronica.”

“What, you gonna leave her in charge?” the ghoul questioned as the elevator descended slowly.

“No.” The doors opened with a ding. “See you in five minutes?” Dom growled as she walked into the cocktail lounge, looking for the Sentinel.

Veronica was sitting on a stool, holding up a glass of whiskey. “You doing okay there?” Thomas asked as he sat next to her.

She didn’t bother looking at him. “Why would I be? Yeah, it’s great that those east coast guys want to take me, but that means leaving everything behind here. And just because I left doesn’t mean I want to cut all my ties.” She sighed and downed her whiskey before pulling a face. “How does Cass drink this?”

“Look, you need something to take your mind off this. I think I have something.”

“Really?” she asked, turning to him.

“This will sound crazy, but...” Thomas took a deep breath. “I have a device that can take us to a magical land populated by talking ponies.”

Veronica just stared at him. “Are... are you high?” she asked.

“Not since last week,” Thomas answered seriously. “So, wanna come with?”

Veronica stared at him some more. “Holy crap, you’re serious.”

“Of course I’m serious, why would I joke about this?” he asked, sounding insulted.

Just at that moment, Dom decided to come back. “Amazingly enough, Sarah’s fine with it. When are we leaving?”

“Tomorrow morning sound good?” Thomas asked.

“You’re both crazy,” Veronica said looking between the two.

“I wouldn’t be the Lone Wanderer if I was completely sane,” Dom replied.

The next morning, just outside the Gun Runners’ Mojave store

“And this is completely safe?” Veronica asked, wearing a full set of T-51b power armour. strapped to her arm was a simple power fist, one of the few things she actually had from her time in the Brotherhood. She also had a laser rifle, given to her by Thomas as a precaution.

“For the tenth time, yes.” Thomas was wearing his Courier’s Duster, the two-headed bear of the Republic printed on the back in brilliant gold. With him he had a hunting shotgun, a trail carbine, an anti-materiel rifle and A Light Shining In Darkness. The anti-materiel rifle was dismantled and resided in pockets.

“Let’s just get this over with,” Dom complained. On one hip was a sword, the other a strange plasma pistol. On her back was a laser rifle of her own, a memento from her time in the Pitt. She also carried a duffle bag and a large piece of modified industrial equipment, the suitably-named Auto-Axe.

“Just why are you bringing so many weapons, anyway?” Veronica asked, looking between the two. “I thought you said magical talking ponies lived there.”

“Yeah, and so do a few things that can tear a man apart.” Thomas pulled out the special Transportalponder. “Ready?” he asked.

“Wait, what was that about - ” The trio vanished in a brilliant orb of emerald light.

Location Unknown

“God damn it!”

“Well, that hurt.”

Thomas held up the Transportalponder. “At least it’s not broken this time.”

“Where are we?” Veronica asked, achieving the rather incredible feat of sitting up in fifty pounds of armour.

“Looks like the middle of a courtyard.”

“Thomas?” a fourth voice called out. They all turned to the source and saw a large, winged, horned, indigo equine with a mane and tail like the night sky approach them.

“Hello Luna,” Thomas said as he stood up. “Long time no see.”

Princess Luna, for it was indeed her, came to a stop about a foot from him. She raised a hoof the size of a dinner plate tentatively, which Thomas made to grab. Suddenly, it shot forward, smacking him in the face. “You spineless, two-timing, coward!” she screamed as he fell to the ground.

“I dink you broke by bose,” he said as he rolled on the ground in pain.


Author’s Notes:

Here it is!

Thomas was never going to get away with what he did.