• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 20,904 Views, 2,382 Comments

Bear, Scribe and Paladin - Speven Dillberg



The Courier takes the Lone Wanderer and a former Brotherhood Scribe to Equestria

  • ...
51
 2,382
 20,904

30: Bright Future

On the mountain face opposite Canterlot was something that not many ponies knew about. This was not because it was hidden from the general populace, but simply something they had never bothered to find out. Carved into the mountain, much like the city itself, was a great airship dock. Within sat the one and only Harmonious, the flagship and airborne base of operations of the Equestrian Air Force. With both a heavily reinforced balloon as the primary method of remaining airborne and a large number of downwards-facing propellers providing additional lift and stability, it was almost impossible for it to be knocked from the sky.

Captain True Sight looked at the earth ponies under his command. Due to their affinity for machinery they were trusted with the maintenance and operation of the Guard’s sole airship. The Harmonious was meant to be the first of several, but funding cuts and the general attitude of the nobility (“What’s the point of an airship without en suites?”) had left the Equestrian Air Force severely weakened.

Unlike those that would be fighting on the ground, they wore only a golden cap. Their role would not be to face the Dogs, but to rain down fire and death from above. However, given the nature of the Dogs they would likely be relegated to ferrying supplies and the wounded. Not that True Sight minded terribly, he wanted to do his part, no matter how small.

“Quit your slacking, you rock-munching idiots! We have a war to fight, and that means you do everything the moment I say it!” he yelled.

“Shove it up your tail-hole, sir!” one of the ponies shouted back.

True Sight laughed with them. “Would if I could, but we have a job to do. Odds are the guns won’t be needed, but the ship definitely will. I want the mess hall converted to a field hospital, and the supply rooms stocked with medical equipment. We won’t have ponies and griffins dying on my ship,” he finished sternly.

“So we won’t actually be fighting?” a mare at the back asked nervously.

“No, we’ll probably be too far out of range,” Sight clarified. “We are there mainly in a support capacity. Now stop standing there and get to work! I want this ship ready to take wounded in half an hour!”

“Yes sir!”


Shining Armor had called a private meeting in his office, ordering all the Knights to meet him. He hadn’t expected them to be so prompt, though, nor all of them to ready to fight.

Shining Armor looked at the fully-armoured, battle-ready Knights, his Knights. He still had a little trouble believing that the most powerful unicorns the Guard could offer were under his direct command. Unfortunately Shadow Dancer was still absent, not fully recovered from the damage unleashing the armour’s Solar Wrath had done to her. Her skills and experience would have been incredibly useful.

“I know most of you haven’t seen a real fight before, that the worst you’ve had to do is fight a bundle of straw shaped like a Dog. But we cannot afford to falter out there. The others will be looking towards us, to lead and inspire.” He sighed. “It’s a burden, but - ”

“Sir?” Blink asked, cutting him off. “Stop worrying so much.”

“It’s my job to worry,” Shining replied dourly. “We nearly lost Shadow Dancer.”

“You won’t lose any of us, sir,” Firebolt said happily, his head bobbing slightly.

“We’re the best trained force Equestria has to offer,” Frost Lance added, supporting his brother.

“I am sure we can cope,” Trixie said, smirking behind her helmet.

“That kind of overconfidence is dangerous,” Shining replied, reprimanding her. “Promise me that you will all be careful out there.”

“Of course sir,” Astral Gaze answered in his strange, flat tone. “You don’t even have to ask that of us.”

There was a sudden knock at the door, catching them all off-guard. “Who is that?”

“It’s me, Blueblood,” came the reply.

“Oh great, it’s the self-entitled rat,” Glory muttered.

“Quiet,” Shining hissed. “What do you want, Blueblood?”

“A warmer welcome, for starters,” the prince replied snidely. “I was going through some historical texts, and came across an idea I thought you might appreciate.”

“Is that so?” All the Knights were intrigued by this. None of them had really considered that Blueblood did anything except complain and spend more money than was strictly sensible.

Blueblood explained to them what he had found. When he was done, the Knights looked at him, aghast. “Pegasi used to do that?”

“I knew the Celestine Junta was brutal, but...”

Shining was the most worried. “Blueblood, are you crazy?”

“Oh please, what I’m suggesting is nothing compared to some of the Hyracotherium Republic’s weapons, or what the Kingdom of Unicornia did to prisoners of war,” Blueblood replied, sounding a little disturbed. “Believe me when I say those books are in the restricted section of the library for a good reason.”

“You’re talking about weaponising something that has seen nothing but peaceful use for centuries, Blueblood,” Shining responded, sounding a little sick.

“I understand that, but this will help us win the war, I am sure of it,” the prince said.

“Maybe you’re not that bad,” Glory said suddenly. “Better than those other nobles, at least.”

“You mean the ones Luna forcibly conscripted?” Clarion Call asked.

“Oh yeah. I will never see anything funnier than that,” she answered, trying to hold in her laughter.

“You two, be quiet,” Shining shot at them. “Gambit?”

“Tactically, it’s a brilliant decision,” she mused. “They won’t see it coming, it’ll definitely sap their morale, and it’ll inflict heavy casualties. Morally...” the mare trailed off uncomfortably. “I’d say it’s a grey area, but that’s a lie and you all know it.”

“I’ve seen what can happen when you get some on you by accident, and this is the stuff mixed for industrial use,” Field Surgery said suddenly. “I don’t even want to imagine what being hit with a weapons-grade mixture can do...”

“Actually, a little research tells me that there is barely any difference between the two. Though with today’s refining techniques...” Blueblood stood there, a hoof to his chin as he thought.


Thomas had asked the other Wastelanders to come to his room, to help him form a plan of sorts. While the other two prepared themselves, he looked at the map he had been given. “So, they’re gonna dig up, right?” Dom asked, digging through her duffel bag.

“Yeah,” Thomas muttered. “If I’m on that airship, I should be able to snipe a few...”

“Screw that,” Veronica replied loudly, messing with a screw on Greased Lightning. “Punching is the gift that keeps on giving.”

“You have a rifle, get some use out of that first,” the ghoul replied seriously.

“I am wearing a set of T-51b. Do you really think anything has a chance of getting through this?” she asked, patting herself on the chest.

“Both of you, shut up, I’m thinking. Dom, you said something before about explosives.”

“Huh? Oh, yeah.” The ghoul pulled something out of her bag and threw it at the man. “Catch.”

Thomas caught it and stared. “This is a tin can.”

“It’s what’s in the tin can,” the ghoul smirked, crossing her arms. “It makes plasma look like hot water.”

“That’s...” Veronica searched for words, gave up and looked at her. “What the hell is in that thing?”

“Quantum, Abraxo and turpentine.”

Veronica blinked. “That... doesn’t make any sense. At all.”

“I don’t question it,” Dom replied with a shrug. “I just make it work.”

“That’s the scary thing. Still, if it works,” the Scribe shrugged, “I can’t really complain.”

“Okay, Dom has explosives, I have my anti-materiel rifle, and Veronica has... punching.” Thomas added that last point uneasily.

“You also brought the Red Glare,” Veronica added.

“That’s for emergencies,” the man replied.

“Thomas, I’ve seen that thing. You used it on Fiends,” the Scribe deadpanned. “That’s like using C-4 on a bloatfly.”

“I had to send a message,” he shrugged.

“You knocked down a building and didn’t even leave enough of those idiots for the birds. Even that’s taking overkill too far.”

“I once used a Fat Man on a raider base,” the ghoul commented. “I don’t see the difference.”

Veronica looked between the two. “You... really? I give up,” she said, throwing her arms up and turning around. “You’re both nuts.”


Luna inspected the weapons in the armory. None of them suited her needs or were appealing to her. “Hmm...”

“Sister?”

The younger alicorn turned around and saw Celestia standing not far from her, next to a rack of spears. Luna turned back and rolled her eyes. “I know what you’re going to say.”

“This is a mistake, Luna,” the alabaster alicorn pleaded.

“According to the Knights, something is controlling the Dogs. If it’s what I think it is, then I am simply doing my duty,” Luna told her coldly.

“At what cost?” Celestia asked. “If it is what you think, then I may lose you again.”

“I already said that would not happen,” the younger replied. “Last time I was alone. This time I have an army at my back. Not one as large as I would like, but an army nonetheless.”

“And if you do fall, an entire generation will be extinguished.”

Luna turned, doing her best to hide her anger. “Do you have such little faith in me, sister? I am not the jealous, weak-willed mare I was a thousand years ago. I know my subjects care for me, they just don’t show it,” she trailed off awkwardly. “And in any case, our armed forces are far too inexperienced in actual battle.”

“They are well-trained,” Celestia argued.

“Training is not everything. Look at our guests. No training, but a lifetime of experience. It makes them incredible warriors. But our guard?” Luna asked with a sigh. “All they know is spars with each other and stabbing bundles of straw with pointed sticks. I worry that many of them will turn tail at the sight of their friends’ blood or be paralyzed with fear when the time to fight comes.”

“You don’t give them enough credit,” Celestia argued. “They are not as weak-willed or pacifistic as you believe. They may not have the same fire as they used to, but they will fight for what they hold dear, whether it be their home or their friends.”

“I know, but... I rarely see any evidence of such. Maybe I will be proven wrong.” Luna’s eyes roamed the weapon racks, her eyes alighting on a large mace, its head a great ball covered in evil-looking spikes. “Hmm...” she hummed in approval. “May I strike fear into the hearts of my enemies, and bring courage to the minds of my allies,” she whispered, taking the mace in her magic.

Celestia stared at her sister. “That is an old vow, sister. I have not heard it since - ”

“My banishment, yes.” Luna gauged the weight and gave it a few experimental swings. “It is far from perfect, a few enchantments should be enough,” she muttered. “I shall take this weapon with me. Between it and my magic, I will not fall.” She turned to her sister. “I promise, sister, I will return, no matter what.”


Twilight stared at her food. She was hungry, but just couldn’t muster the will to eat it. She pushed her salad away, instead looking to her friends. She had invited them to eat with her in her suite, hoping that their presence would help put her mind at ease. Unfortunately, it only managed to achieve the exact opposite.

“That was a good speech by the Princess,” Applejack commented,

“Yes, and it’s about time those horrible Dogs were put in their place,” Rarity said airily, sipping from her glass of wine.

“What do you mean?” Pinkie asked, her normally chipper tone subdued.

“Well, they took me captive,” the unicorn pointed out. “Then they took Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo!” she added vehemently.

“Just what are you sayin’, Rares?” Applejack asked cautiously.

“They are nothing but pony-enslaving, murdering, marauding brutes!” she shouted. “The world will be a much better place without them!”

“Rarity!” Twilight yelled, deciding to intervene. “Are you seriously advocating genocide!?” she asked, unable to believe one of her friends was capable of this.

“They hurt the ponies I love! They don’t deserve to live in Equestria!”

“Most of them don’t even live in Equestria, Rarity!” Twilight pointed out loudly. “And you’re sounding a lot like you never bothered with history classes,” she added.

“What do you mean?” Pinkie asked.

“Yeah, none of us are into that stuff like you,” Rainbow Dash added.

“The Kingdom of Unicornia used to utilise some of the most heinous torture devices in history,” Twilight explained. “They used them on anypony they suspected of disagreeing with the way things were run, or on prisoners of war.”

“What... kind of tortures?” Fluttershy asked timidly, hiding under her mane.

The lavender unicorn looked at her friends, trying to think of a good example. “Rainbow, your worst fear is losing the ability to fly, right?” she asked. When the pegasus nodded, she continued. “Well, imagine being forced to repeatedly live out the agony of having your wings broken and ripped from your body.”

“R-r-repeatedly?” Rainbow Dash asked, the colour draining from her as she tried to keep her lunch down. Her wings clenched to her sides fearfully.

“And earth ponies and pegasi weren’t much better. There used to be weapons that could make entire cities sink into the ground, and pegasi used to weaponise weather. Among other things,” Twilight added.

“Weaponise weather?”

“Blizzards to kill crops and freeze armies to death, torrential storms to drown entire towns and cities, hurricanes and tornadoes... Well, you get the idea,” she concluded.

“What... what was the point of that little history lesson?” Rarity asked, her fervor replaced with apprehension and disgust at what she had heard.

“As vile as the Diamond Dogs can be, ponies can be just as horrible. Even worse, if we want to,” Twilight said uneasily. “That’s why Princess Luna’s speech makes me feel so uneasy.”

“You think we’re going to become like that again?” Pinkie asked.

“My... my brother proved that it wouldn’t be that hard. And if one of the more level-headed members of the Guard can succumb that easily... I really am scared that the rest of us might follow,” Twilight answered, a note of unease entering into her voice.

Author's Note:

Late update is late. Very late.
Written with help from my good friend ed2481. He also wanted me to write Rarity as an equine supremacist and an advocate of genocide.