• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 20,898 Views, 2,382 Comments

Bear, Scribe and Paladin - Speven Dillberg



The Courier takes the Lone Wanderer and a former Brotherhood Scribe to Equestria

  • ...
51
 2,382
 20,898

08: Calm Before the Storm

Galaxy News Radio broadcast, late 2279

Hey, kiddies, this is Three-Dog coming to you with a special live news bulletin.

Normally, I don’t bother with this kind of thing. Usually I just pre-record and press a few buttons, y’know? But this... Oh god, this...

*sigh* It’s the Enclave. I know, I know, I thought they were gone as well. I haven’t had this verified, but reports seem to indicate that what we’re seeing are those who haven’t been captured, don’t give a damn that their organisation is gone, and are more than willing to march in and wipe everyone out.

So far, Arefu and Big Town have been attacked. They’ve been using hit-and-run tactics, mainly plasma and laser weapons. I’ve also heard that these bastards even have a few Vertibirds of their own. According to the Paladins stationed here at the station, those things can be rigged to drop bombs. So if you see one fly overhead and you can’t tell if it’s Brotherhood or not, get to cover. Lay a trap if you can.

The Brotherhood has started preparing to fight. I know our boys and gals in power armour are brilliant, but they’re gonna need all the help they can get. So here’s what I want you to do. Anyone with an assault rifle, a pistol, hell, even a sledgehammer, offer your help wherever you can. Even if they just have you lugging stuff around, every bit helps.

Every merc, hunter, hell, even any Raiders that are still out there. This is not an enemy you can just ignore or run from like you used to with the Frankensteins. They will track you down, and likely do everything in their power to make your death as painful as possible. Your only option is to fight.

The good news is that their numbers will be limited. Brotherhood intelligence seems to indicate that it’s only a few squads. I know for a fact that enough Raiders can overwhelm those power armoured bastards with enough numbers. And that armour will stop a bullet, but it won’t do much about explosives. Use everything you’ve got. This is your survival we’re talking about here, and if you want to keep on living you’re going to have to fight for it.

What’s more, we have our own superweapon. No, it’s not a giant killer robot that shoots lasers out of its eyes or anything like that. No, it’s a woman. Yes, just one. She toppled the Enclave before. She’ll do it again. Don’t you worry about that.


The two humans, the ghoul and the Griffons sat around a small fire, where a number of small creatures were being roasted on a spit.

“What is this?” Thomas asked as he chewed.

“Rabbit,” one of the Griffons replied.

“What’s a rabbit?” Veronica asked.

“What we’re eating,” Dom replied smartly. “Tastes gamey.”

“We sent out a hunting party a few days ago,” Grimfeather replied as he tore at the rabbit in his claws. “From what they said, they didn’t even have to try.”

As they sat and ate, Dom noticed a few Griffons, males and females, giving her looks. They weren’t the looks she was accustomed to, though.

Thomas noticed he was getting a few as well. “Okay, what’s with the stares?” he asked nervously.

One of the other Griffons leaned over and whispered to them. “For our kind, the most... appealing thing is how good one can fight. Scars are a good sign of that.”

The Lone Wanderer and the Courier blinked before looking at each other. There was no denying it, they both had their fair share of scars, and had seen more fights than any living person had a right to. Between them, they’d seen their fair share of killer mercenaries, crazed robots, tyrannical maniacs and bloodthirsty murderers. This, though, was new.

“I’m... not sure how to feel about this.” Dom’s voice was full of unease. True, it did feel nice to be attractive again after two years of being seen as unappealing at best. What she didn’t like was that the ones who were interested in her were creatures ripped straight from the pages of myth.

“You guys think I’m sexy?” Thomas asked while smiling smugly.

“No-one wants me?” Veronica asked, pouting and making sad puppy-dog eyes.

Before anyone could make any comment on the Scribe’s love life, a pegasus in Day Guard armour flew into their midst. He wrinkled his nose at the meat but didn’t appear to say anything. He jabbered at Sergeant Grimfeather for a few moments, gesturing to the three humans. The Griffon nodded and the pegasus disappeared.

“Looks like we’ll have to cut lunch short.”


“What do you mean, there are only three!?”

“That’s what the letter said, sir.”

“I assigned fifteen! The Elements of Harmony are close to useless without the Bearers to use them!”

“Sir, I really - ”

“Get out. Prepare a chariot, I’m leading the charge myself.”

“Yes, sir.”

Two ponies, another pegasus in gold armour, and Knight-Commander Shining Armor, walked out of the latter’s office. The unicorn’s filthy expression was mercifully hidden under his helmet. “I swear, when I find out who was responsible - ” His furious tirade was cut off when he nearly ran straight into Veronica.

“Why do you need us?”

Shining Armor took a deep breath to compose himself. “I’m assuming the sergeant told you about the situation.”

“Actually, only that you need us,” Dom replied. “Then he flew off, something about going ahead.”

“Thank heavens for small mercies,” the armoured pony muttered. “Ponyville was attacked, the largest one yet.”

“Isn’t that where your sister lives?” Thomas asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Her, and the other Element Bearers. I’ll explain later,” he added when he saw the matching blank looks. “What matters is that we protect the town. We can’t let them be captured. Or worse.”

All three Wastelanders immediately knew that he meant by ‘worse’. “So, what? You want our help?”

“As much as I hate to admit it, yes. There are only two other Knights in the castle, and only one of them has armour.”

“What, you custom-fit the armour?” Dom asked.

“It’s better than chafing.” Thomas cringed in response. “There should be a chariot able to take us there ready in a few minutes. I’ll lead you there.”

“Is it just me, or do things happen around us?” Veronica asked as they followed.

“I know what you mean,” the ghoul added unhappily. “And I left DC to relax,” she lamented.


“What.”

“There is no way that can hold me.”

“You’re not that fat.”

Veronica made a threatening gesture with her Power Fist towards Thomas. “Have you forgotten how heavy power armour is, Thomas?”

The Courier climbed in and sighed. “Look, it’s magic. That’s all there is to anything here.”

“I’ll ignore the gross over-simplification,” the armoured mare in the chariot muttered. Her Knight armour made it hard to see any truly distinguishing details, but the cutie mark, indigo tail and dark grey horn were familiar to Thomas.

“Have we met before?”

“Well, because of you, Firebolt walked away with half my paycheck,” she muttered unhappily.

“Captain, quiet down,” Shining Armor said harshly. “You two, get in. I can guarantee that you can’t fall out of this.”

“Yes sir,” Shadow Dancer muttered in Equestrian. “Just as long as you promise to keep your emotions in check this time.”

“We agreed not to discuss that,” he muttered wearily as he watched the Paladin and the Scribe step carefully onto the chariot.

“So she’s the one who made Starbutt cry?” Shadow asked, nodding at the ghoul.

“What have we said about calling her that?”

“Hey, that self-righteous nag had it coming. I just wish I was there to see it myself.”

With a lurch the chariot became airborne, startling the five occupants.

Dom and the two unicorns were completely unphased, the Knights by years of service, the Paladin by numerous Vertibird flights. Thomas was looking uneasy, but had distracted himself by removing his dismantled anti-materiel rifle from his duster to reassemble it. Veronica’s reaction was quite unexpected.

“WHOOOO! THIS IS SO COOL! AAAAAAHAHAHAH!”

“Not the smoothest take-off I’ve had,” Dom said calmly as the other three stared at the Scribe.


Ponyville had been deserted. Any sign of the daily grind had vanished with the residents. The only signs of life was the great purple bubble erected around the Town Hall and the numerous Diamond Dogs hammering against it, and the numerous skirmishes between the Dogs and the Griffons under Grimfeather’s command.

“Keep attacking!” one of them yelled. “We’ll get through soon! It can’t last forever.”

Suddenly, the one that had spoke vanished in an explosion of burning gore. As his underlings looked around in terror, there was another, this time ripping two Dogs in half and leaving their bodies ablaze.

Up above, the chariot travelled in a circuit around Ponyville.

“What did you say that was?” Shadow asked, her tone a mix of awe and fear.

“My .50 caliber flaming sword of justice with telescopic sight.” Thomas pulled the bolt of his rifle back and ejected the spent shell. “God I love incendiary rounds.” He chambered another round and looked back down, trying to pick a target. “Fuck, they’ve disappeared.”

“They’ve probably burrowed down.” Shining looked at the huge weapon Thomas had. “I don’t think it’d be a good idea to bring that with you.”

“Yeah, feels more like a shotgun situation,” the black man replied as he set down the rifle and pulled the pump-action 12 gauge off his back.

Veronica, who had since calmed down, rolled her shoulders. “I want to punch something,” she said as she cracked her knuckles.

Dom didn’t say anything, letting her grin as she pulled the ripcord of her Auto-Axe do all the talking.


Author’s Notes:

Okay then, I may have made Dom and Veronica genre savvy. It just happened.

Thomas is not overcompensating. Luna can attest to that.

There will be much violence next chapter. Today’s weather, excessively violent, with a chance of dismemberment.