• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 20,905 Views, 2,382 Comments

Bear, Scribe and Paladin - Speven Dillberg



The Courier takes the Lone Wanderer and a former Brotherhood Scribe to Equestria

  • ...
51
 2,382
 20,905

Interlude: Relic

“Sister, why are you so adamant to continue attempting diplomacy?”

“Because I refuse to see my work crumble around me.”

Luna looked at Celestia in confusion. “What do you mean, sister?”

The alabaster alicorn sighed before clambering onto her bed. “Do you know why the Changelings’ attack on the city went as well as it did?”

“The guard was heavily outnumbered,” the younger replied. “Couple that with a large number having been replaced - ”

“Luna, you know that in the old days that wouldn’t have mattered, that our ponies would have driven them out.” Celestia turned away. “After I was forced to banish you, I changed the military structure. The guard was changed. Instead of a sword to punish our foes, they became a shield to protect Equestria and our allies. It took a thousand years to forge them from bringers of death to defenders of life.”

“That is a noble thing sister. But I fail to see how this is relevant,” Luna added.

“This war, Luna, it goes against everything I’ve taught my ponies. I instilled in them the virtues of peace. Any battle was purely defensive. We never pressed the attack, and never killed unless we could avoid it.” Celestia sighed and looked despondently at the ground.

“You said ‘your ponies’,” Luna pointed out.

“For a thousand years, they were. It will take time to see them as anything but.”

“Sister, do you not see the fallacy in your argument? A shield is not just for defense. What is a shield but a wooden board with metal furniture? Striking someone with a shield can cause even more damage than with a sword or mace. And you know as well as I that sometimes the best defense is to press the offense.” Luna walked up to her sister. “We have to show whoever is commanding the Diamond Dogs that we will not be trampled upon, that we will fight to defend what is ours.”

“At what cost?” Celestia looked up at her sister with tearful eyes. “Equestria has become a beacon of peace and progress. What will fighting do?”

“It will prove to our detractors that we are not weak,” Luna retorted forcefully. “Sister, you know some of our allies still look down on us for how we handled ourselves when Chrysalis attacked.”

“Violence is not always the answer, Luna.”

“In this case it is!”

“We may still resolve this peacefully!”

“Peace was discarded when they attacked Ponyville with the intention of enslaving the residents!” Luna yelled back angrily.

“There is still a chance!”

“There is not and you know it! I will lead the attack myself if I must!”

“Luna, don’t, please!”

“Why not!?”

“I don’t want to lose you again!”

Luna blinked. She was shocked. Was this all it boiled down to? “Sister?”

“A thousand years, Luna, a thousand years having to wear a mask of serenity and strength while we suffered.” Celestia’s composure broke, and tears started to fall. “I have only had you back for a few years. I don’t want to see you hurt.”

“Tia...” Luna went over and nuzzled her sister. “I understand your concern, I do, but you must understand. This is your Equestria, something you made. It is too peaceful for me. I am a relic of the past, and part of that past is fighting. At least this way I can feel useful again,” she finished under her breath.

“Luna, you are not useless,” Celestia said reassuringly, wiping away at her tears. “Your skillset is simply...”

“Undesirable?” the midnight alicorn shot back. “Sister, you know as well as anyone that I was never one for the machinations of politics or back-room dealings. That was always your domain. Ironic, in a way,” she added with a snort.

Celestia smiled sadly. “Yes, you always enjoyed hunting the demons that preyed on our ponies.”

“Somepony had to, and you were far too reluctant.” Luna smiled back. “It heartened our subjects to see us fighting for them.”

“That’s what you want, isn’t it?” the elder asked. “To be seen as a mare that will fight for her subjects. To be a hero.”

“Well... yes. I am still treated with distrust and caution. It hurts,” she said sadly. “If fighting with our guard will ingratiate me with the populace, then so be it. And I am not made of glass, sister, you know that. It will take far more than a Diamond Dog sword to slay me.”

“I know. I still worry.” Celestia pulled her little sister into a hug. “Promise me you’ll be careful.”

“I promise, sister. It will not end like last time.”