• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 20,897 Views, 2,382 Comments

Bear, Scribe and Paladin - Speven Dillberg



The Courier takes the Lone Wanderer and a former Brotherhood Scribe to Equestria

  • ...
51
 2,382
 20,897

18: In The Morning

When Veronica woke up, it was to a rather noticeable lack of pain. “Oh god, I’m dead!”

After a few seconds, she calmed down and realised that the absence of pain was due to the fact that for the first time in weeks she hadn’t woken up with a bad hangover. After her mild bout of panic, she took stock of her surroundings.

To say her room was luxurious would be an understatement. She had thought that the suites at the Lucky 38 were amazing, like the one Thomas had given her, but everything about this one put that to shame. At the moment, she was occupying a marvellous four-poster bed with a mattress she could just sink in, and sheets as smooth as silk. She felt a bit ashamed that she hadn’t bathed before using it.

Her power armour had been discarded on the floor, as had her weapons. As she climbed out of bed, her eyes passed over the wardrobe. “Why didn’t I bring a dress?” she asked herself, thinking back to the small collection she had managed to put together back home. It would definitely beat walking around in T-51b all day. Not that she didn’t like it, but it could get really stuffy and sweaty, even with the self-contained cooling system. And it was really hard to pick up girls in that thing.

As she walked over to her armour and got ready to put in on, there was a knock at the door. “Come in!”

The door opened silently and in stepped a white unicorn with an expertly-groomed violet mane. Veronica looked at her for a moment, trying to remember who this pony was. The unicorn spoke, but all the words made no sense to her. “Uhh...”

The unicorn made an “o” with her mouth and tapped a small necklace around her neck. “I’m sorry about that, I completely forgot you can’t speak Equestrian.”

“Oh, that’s okay,” Veronica replied happily. “So, why are you here?”

“Well, it might be silly but...” Rarity levitated a measuring tape that she had tucked into her tail. “You said that your armour was all you had, did you not?”

“Yeah...” Veronica had no idea where the unicorn was going with this. “Why?”

“I just felt so sad for you! So, I am going to make you a dress!” Rarity proclaimed loudly. She turned with a smile to the Scribe, who stood there dumbfounded.

“A... a dress?” she asked hesitantly, unable to believe her ears. “You want to make me a dress?”

“Is that going to be a problem?” the unicorn asked uneasily, worried she had stepped over some line.

“THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!” Veronica squealed, pulling the pony into a sudden hug, smooshing Rarity’s face into her breasts. She was so excited she failed to notice the unicorn struggling to pull herself away.


Dom had never been one to rise with the sun. She often got in trouble with the other members of the Pride for having to be shaken awake at a quarter past ten every morning. So the fact that she was awake at what her Pip-Boy told her was barely eight was a little worrying.

She climbed out of bed and padded over to her armour. She had slept in her underwear, though she had kept on the fake arm. Putting it back on was a two-man job, and even then they had to have a good idea just what they were trying to do. More than once she’d had to walk into the lab under the Citadel to get Rothchild to fix a damaged connection because an Initiate had tried to help her.

As she scratched at herself, she nudged a plate of her armour. Truthfully, she didn’t feel like wearing it today. But it was all she had, and it had the extra benefit of covering up a large amount of her body. A naked ghoul could be really unsettling.

As she finished strapping on the breastplate, the door opened. She looked up to see a rather welcome sight.

“Good morning there!” Grimfeather said cheerfully as he stepped into the room.

“Sergeant,” Dom replied with a small smile.

“Oh, none of that. Reginald, or even Reggie, is fine.” The griffon ruffled his wings. “I saw your form yesterday during your fight. Terrifying stuff.”

The ghoul smirked. “That was kind of the point.”

“But you were sloppy. You haven’t had a minute of training in your life, am I right?”

“Don’t get a chance to train in the Wastes,” she explained. “Every fight is win or die. The best way to win is to break their arms and then finish them. No time for anything fancy.”

“Which explains the sheer brutality you demonstrated against the poor captain,” the griffon muttered.

“Personally, I prefer stabbing and electrocuting,” Dom continued conversationally as she tightened the straps for her right shoulder pad. “The screams are usually enough to scare the rest away.”

“I... see. Anywho, I am here for a reason, and that is to take you to breakfast.”

“I’d thought you’d be married,” Dom answered flatly.

“Please, me, married?” Reginald replied with a laugh. “No, the battlefield is my mistress, armed conflict my love. No hen has been able to claim my heart like warfare has.”

“Maybe war is different here,” the ghoul mused as she followed the griffon.

“It would be safe to assume that,” Grimfeather answered. “One can learn much about another from their fighting style.”

“Really?”

“Indeed, m’dear. You can be heartless and savage, prepared to do anything to win, but from what I saw you can also be merciful.”

“No point wasting ammo on some people,” Dom shrugged. “Easier to let them run.”


When Thomas awoke, it was to the sound of hammering at his door. Clad in nought but his underwear, he trudged to it and found himself staring at half a dozen golden-armoured pegasi. An eyebrow disappeared into his hair. “Two things. One, that is creepy. Two, what the fuck are you doing here?”

“Princess Celestia has requested your presence,” one of them said.

“That’s it? This couldn’t wait until I had pants on?” When he received no answer, he rolled his eyes. “Fine. Let me get dressed, then I’ll follow you,” he muttered as he closed his door.

“So, what’s going on?” Thomas asked when he emerged five minutes later.

“Her Majesty has decided that revealing your presence to the greater public is in the greater national interest.” From the stallion’s tone, it was clear he felt uneasy about the situation.

“So, what, reporters?” Thomas asked. He remembered when Radio New Vegas reporters had tried to talk to him. He’d ran into raiders who had more manners than those vultures. A set of broken ribs happened to be an incredibly effective way to send a message, though. “Fuck.”

“Yes, the press can be terrible,” one of the guardsponies responded.

“I’m at least getting breakfast first, right?”

“The press conference is scheduled for 10 A.M.”


Knight-Commander Shining Armor had awoken at the crack of dawn, forced out of bed by the large amount of paperwork the attack on Ponyville had caused. Among the mountain of paper that now occupied his desk were a dozen forms that would effectively ruin the lives of twelve ponies forever. He knew it had to be done, though, that they had to be made an example of.

“Which one of you gave the order?” he asked harshly, the morning sun shining off his golden Knight armour. Before him, standing outside the barracks, were the twelve ponies, nine unicorns, two pegasi and an earth pony, who had abandoned their posts at Ponyville, thus allowing the attack to even happen. “I asked who was responsible.”

When he was met with more silence he started grinding his teeth. “If I do not get an answer in the next ten seconds I will physically maim each and every one of you.”

One of the unicorns spoke up at the threat. “You really think we’re scared of some upstart princeling?” he asked gruffly.

“I take it you were responsible, then?” Shining asked, recognising the stallion as a member of the minor nobility.

“You mean if I told the soldiers to pull out of that backwater, then yes.”

The Knight-Commander rose an eyebrow at the other stallion’s insolent tone. “So it means nothing to you that that ‘backwater’ as you so elegantly put it happens to be the home to all six of the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony?” Shining couldn’t help but smile as the expressions on each pony in front of him went from stoic stubbornness to shocked horror in an instant.

“None of us wanted to leave our posts, sir, but Sergeant Pride ordered us,” the lone earth pony said, sounding panicky.

“Is that right, Sergeant? Did you give an illegal order?”

“I - I had no idea! If I’d know that the town was so important - ”

“HOW IMPORTANT THE TOWN IS IS IRRELEVANT!” Shining Armor yelled, the volume of his voice threatening to rival that of the Royal Canterlot Voice. “YOU WERE MEANT TO DEFEND THE TOWN, REGARDLESS OF ITS SUPPOSED VALUE! YOUR DUTY IS TO PROTECT EQUESTRIA AND ITS CITIZENS, AND THE MOMENT YOU GAVE THE ORDER TO PULL OUT YOU FAILED! YOUR! DUTY!” he screamed, punctuating each word with a step forwards. By the time he was finished, the two stallions’ muzzles were touching and Shining was panting heavily. The sergeant, on the other hoof, looked like he was about to wet himself. “YOU HAVE DISGRACED THE ROYAL GUARD WITH YOUR ACTIONS, AND FOR THAT ALL OF YOU WILL BE PUNISHED!”

“A-all of us?” one of the pegasi asked timidly.

“You followed an illegal order, abandoned your posts and endangered the lives of the citizens of Ponyville. As of this moment, you are all stripped of your rank,” Shining said, forcing himself to keep his voice calmer. He stepped back and glared at the group, ripping any symbol of rank from their armour with his magic as he did. “I’d see you all dishonorably discharged, but we need every able pony we have. Even if that is just to throw you in front of the Dogs,” he added threateningly, making how he felt about them as clear as crystal. “Pride, Stardust, step forward.”

The former sergeant and a pegasus stepped forwards, the latter shaking in her horseshoes. The unicorn had a grim expression, not knowing what the angry pony had in mind.

“As a Prince of Equestria, I am stripping you both of your lands, your titles and your wealth. They now belong to whoever is next in line.”

“What!?” the stallion yelled in shock. “You can’t do this!”

“I have the blessing of Princess Luna on the matter, and both the houses you belonged to are insignificant enough that the chances of a power struggle are non-existent. Do you have anything else to say, Private?” When the stallion just stood and gaped at him, he picked up his helmet. “That’s what I thought.”

Author's Note:

Filler chapter? Sort of. Sorry about that. Beats another omake, though, right?

And oh god Shiny can be scary.