• Published 26th May 2021
  • 517 Views, 3 Comments

From Their Eyes - moviemaster8510



An earth pony mare from Manehattan moves in with a young man on Earth following the unification of their worlds. Their lives and relationship, both together and at times apart, are explored.

  • ...
1
 3
 517

Settling In, From Her Eyes

I never knew what to expect coming into Dave’s home for the first time. I know from the program that any human host’s finances needed to be good enough to even be a host in the first place. Still, I wasn’t sure how everything would look. Manehattan may be one of the nicest cities in Equestria, but I’ve been to plenty of otherwise good apartments and condos that were ruined by their tenants’ seeming refusal to wash a dish or throw trash away.

Thankfully, Dave doesn’t seem to be one of those creatures.

It almost looks like the place was cleaned top to bottom before my arrival. I most certainly don’t mind helping around and doing my part, but I hope that this wasn’t a rare occurrence just to impress me. The place is pretty cozy already, so it probably won’t take much to mess it all up again.

Still, Nancy and Dave promised that we were in a really good location surrounded by a bunch of cute shops and restaurants. Supposedly, there’s a grocery store within walking distance.

That’ll definitely be nice.

David lets me pass as he puts his hand on a doorknob. “Your room’s here.”

There’s a slight hesitation in his voice; does he think that I’m not going to like it? Fair enough, I suppose. I’ve been fussing over his imaginary lack of cleanliness for a bit.

He turns the knob and pushes the door har enough to let it swing open and come to a stop before hitting the wall.

I don’t believe it.

I was expecting a bed and maybe a bookshelf at the most and then shopping around for other furniture later in the week, but Dave and Nancy appear to have taken care of all of that for me.

Along with a pristinely-made double-sized bed and a bookshelf off in the corner, they also set up a small desk and dresser for me as well. The desk has both my EPIP-issued laptop and mobile phone on it and charging. They also looked to have hooked some speakers to the computer and provided a mesh cup full of pens, pencils, and a pair of scissors.

They really outdid themselves for me.

“Do you like it?” Hearing Dave’s voice again, I can’t help but notice I’ve already stepped into the middle of the room.

Turning around, he looks to decompress a bit upon me seeing what I can feel is a genuinely thankful smile on my face. “Yes, Dave, this is wonderful! I wasn’t expecting you to furbish my room too!”

“I mean, to be fair, I… figured you’d much rather focus on getting settled in than having to put your room all together.”

“No, that’s very thoughtful. Thank you, Dave.”

“And let’s not forget who helped purchase some of that!” Nancy pipes in as she leans into sight from the other side of the doorframe.

“Yes, and thank you too, Nancy. I’ll get myself registered right away!”

“Are you sure? Are you hungry at all, Letty?”

Come to think of it, it was starting to get late. “I could eat. What’s the plan, then?”

David shrugs, putting my attention on him. “I mean, the fridge and pantry downstairs is stocked, but if you want to sample some of what Batavia has to offer…”

“Dave,” Nancy speaks, “she just got here. Maybe wait until the weekend to take her out.”

He nods slightly before turning away to leave. “I guess I can get dinner started. How long do you need?”

I whip my head around to look at my new devices that I would soon use. “I’m… hoping no more than an hour?”

“Okay. I don’t think the pasta should take that long. Do you need me to get you something to drink? Water, juice… soda?”

“I should be fine for now. If I get done earlier, I’ll come down and have a drink with both of you.”

Dave smirks; clearly the idea of a social drink tickles him. “No problem. Feel free to holler if you change your mind. Come on, Mom, let’s give her a little room.”

Both Dave and Nancy shift out of the room and presumably toward the kitchen.

Now alone in my very own room on planet Earth, I feel even more invigorated to get myself set up so I can enjoy the pleasures of this place just as its people do. Pulling the quaint office chair from under the desk out, I climb up into it and pull myself in. Just as I’m about to turn it on for the first time, I realize that neither my Hoofpads or Phone Sleeve are on my desk. As much as I would like to not have to get out and get back in this chair just to bother–

“Sorry!” David slides into view on his socks. “I put your hoof keyboard thing and the gloves in the bottom drawer. Didn’t want to clutter your desk up too bad. Sorry.”

Oh Dave, you’re a lifesaver. “Don’t apologize, thank you! Now I can get started!”

“You… don’t need help getting that stuff plugged in or anything, do you?”

“I shouldn’t. It should just work once I plug it in. I should be good from here. Thanks again!”

“No… problem.” As I pull open the bottom drawer and find my Hoodpads and sleeve there right where he said they’d be, I hear him knocking on my doorframe; perhaps he still wants to talk. “I’ll… see you at dinner. It shouldn’t be more than an hour.”

“Sounds great!” As I put the plug of my Hoofpads into the port on the side, I hear Dave slink back away toward the kitchen. “Now, let’s see if these work alright…”

With a holding down on the small square button in the upper right corner, the lights of the screen come on before a display asks me for my login information. Thankfully, all of it was easy enough to remember in the guy’s office before coming here. Slipping my hooves into the pads, the rubber cuffs fitting snugly around them, I move the right pad over to the text box in the center, the mouse cursor following its movements. With a light jerk to the left with my right hoof, I click the box to as a small line flashes on the boxes left, prompting me to type.

Considering how important EPIP made using a computer seem, I made sure to master these devices to better my chances of being accepted into their program. With a flat press of the left hoof, a digital display of letters around the outside of the pad all become capital. With a flick down with the same hoof, I successfully type in a capital M. With a flick down of my right hoof, the letters turn into a series of numbers and other special characters.

Looks like this works well.

I get to typing the rest of my provided username and password in seconds flat as I had trained to. Come to think of it, these work a lot better than the ones they taught me on back at the EPIP facility. I guess that’s what happens when you’re using new devices.

I really am getting hungry, though. That being said, I can wait until dinner. I’d much prefer getting this finished before then so I have the rest of the night to spend with my host.

Comments ( 3 )

Interesting, I must say. Keep going, pal! I'm sure this will be good.

This is pretty good. Small question how long has humans and ponies been in contact? Also keep up the good writing.

Let's hope she will be OK

Login or register to comment