• Published 16th Nov 2021
  • 1,114 Views, 44 Comments

Gielinor's Visitor - Hilord17



A veteran Oldschool Runescape player unlocks a brand-new continent: Equestria.

  • ...
1
 44
 1,114

V - The Pioneers of Gemstones

Author's Note:

Longest chapter to date! I got inspired.

This took me a good while (I've been writing this sentence a lot in recent chapters of all my stories :ajsleepy:).

I know a lot of you received the notification when I accidentally published the chapter when it was incomplete. Again. I apologize for this. Thankfully, if you are reading this right now, it means that I learned from my mistakes and you guys got notified once more.

I hope you like this chapter, and I have to say, every time I put a new chapter on this story, it makes me happy. I get a lot of Oldschool Runescape thoughts while writing this. Let's hope for more chapters this year. :twilightsmile:

Any typo will be fixed ASAP, and as always,I hope you like it.


Rarity's eyes had some sort of spark effects inside. How does she do that?

"Oh thank you so much, darling!" said Rarity, with eyes full of hope. She then focused on the jewelry I took out earlier. "These accessories are perfect! It's the inspiration I need for my next project."

"Do you really like Gielinor's jewelry that much?"

"But of course, darling. They are exquisite!" was Rarity's answer. "Truth be told, I would like to know how they are made. The amount of details of each piece is stunning."

Well, I have to admit that every item of the game looks way better now.

"Well, I could show you how I do them, but I require a few things, like a furnace to smelt ores."

Rarity's focus changed to me, and she looks more surprised than ever.

"Is that true? You created all of this?" asked her, obviously referring to the jewelry that she is still holding with her magic.

"That's right. I tend to create my own jewelry from time to time." you never know when you're going to need another amulet or ring. It's a shame that I never got the amulet of eternal glory.

"My pal is good at doing many different things, miss Rarity!" added Eek as praise.

"That is even better!" said Rarity in a happy tone. "I guess I should explain myself: There is a fashion design contest next month in Manehattan, and now, thanks to your jewelry, I have the perfect idea. Normally I would ask Spike to assist me, but what I need for this project requires somepony able to protect me from potential danger."

Ah, so I need to act as a bodyguard.

"Well, that got me curious if you think you need protection."

"I know of a certain spot that lies west of Ponyville. There are some unique gemstones there, but lately, there have been rumors about merchants being attacked, and now everypony tends to avoid that place at all costs."

"And so you need someone to protect you while you look for gems."

"Exactly. Although now that I know of your crafting skills, I would like to ask for your help with my idea as well. Of course, you will be rewarded for all the effort."

Ah, yes. The feeling of curiosity and that little bit of anxiousness when you begin a new quest...

"Well, that sounds like a job for me. When do we start?"

"Well, I need to prepare the cart to bring the gems back here, then we can leave." said Rarity, starting to move.

Wait.

Maybe we don't need that. I need to check something first.

"You know... maybe we don't need it."


(Optional BGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK7I0KdBl_A - feel free to use the 'loop' option if you want)

"Right here, darling! This is the spot."

"Well... at least I can see why travelers avoid this specific area."

Honestly, I thought it would take a bit more to reach the 'mining spot', but it seems I was wrong. We are not that far away from Ponyville. I can also see Canterlot from here, and a very long waterfall just beneath it. I might check that spot later.

This is indeed a 'mining spot'. At least according to the minimap. On the way, Rarity told me about her ability to use her magic in order to discover gems buried in the ground or even inside some large rocks.

And boy, there are a lot of large rocks around here. Rarity also told me that most of the gemstones are buried, but the unique ones she needs are inside the rocks.

Specifically, kunzite.

I admit I'm not an expert when it comes to gems, but I think kunzite does exist in real life. I have no clue how Jagex decides the 'tier list' of gems, but it took me by surprise when I saw a section called 'Equestria' in the crafting guide. Most of the list involves jewelry of new gemstones. 35 Crafting is needed to cut kunzite, and 50 to craft everything involving kunzite.

This place reminds me a lot of that mining spot near Rimmington.

Except for the holes.

There are many holes around, but from the looks of it, the holes were made from beneath the ground. Maybe I'll have to deal with a giant mole or something. Also, these holes are not small. Each one is big enough to the point that both Rarity and I could fall down.

"The rumors did not say anything about holes in the ground." said Rarity while looking around. "I am glad that I asked for your help, Euris."

"Remember to get behind me if anything unusual happens."

"Will do, darling. For now, we have to find some kunzite!" said the fashionista, who then activated her magic. She walked a few steps guided by her horn, and I began to follow her.

A gem detector spell, huh? I know she told me about it already, but that would be an interesting mechanic to add in Runescape. They could add a few special rocks on certain mining spots that would be unique for every player. Depending on the player's magic and mining level you could have a chance to obtain certain gems, with at least a guaranteed uncut sapphire. F2P players would love that.

"Aha! This rock."

Rarity stopped in front of a rock that almost look like a pillar. There are holes around here, too...

What exactly happened here? I don't see any npc or enemy on the minimap. I need to be careful.

"Alright. Let's get to work."

With Eek's help, I unequipped the dust battlestaff and equipped everyone's favorite mining tool.

The dragon pickaxe.

Because to hell with you, crystal pickaxe.

"What kind of pickaxe is that?" asked Rarity with a mix of surprise and curiosity. "It has a strong red color."

"This is a dragon pickaxe. One of the strongest pickaxes available in the land of Gielinor. Now, let's smash some rocks."

It's funny. My body is doing the exact movements a player does when they begin mining. I did the three small hits, and then the two big ones. That was enough to break through the pillar-looking rock and see the shining gemstones inside.

"Do you mind if I keep the gems you don't need?"

"Not at all, darling." was Rarity's answer. "I have plenty of those back home. I have to say... you are strong. To break so easily through that rock with a pickaxe... Are you a former miner?"

"Mining is one of my hobbies. I'm kind of an expert, too."

There is only one kunzite, but there are also two sapphires and one emerald. Even after I explained it to Rarity, she is still a bit skeptical about my 'inventory'. Well... now comes the magic trick.

I took out a certain item. A reward you can get in Falador's Motherlode Mine. Not many players tend to use it, but I do.

"A small silver bag?" asked a curious Rarity. Oh! It's actually silver! And the thread to open and close it is almost golden.

"This is not just any silver bag, Rarity. This is a gem bag. It holds up to 60 uncut gems of certain types. Specifically: Sapphire, emerald, ruby, diamond, and dragonstone. However..."

It's worth a shot. If I can't store the kunzite in the bag, then I'll have it in my inventory space.

And...

[You add the gems to your bag.]

Yes! Not only it stored the sapphires and the emerald, but also the kunzite!

"The gemstones disappeared!" said Rarity, looking at the bag with a pleasant smile on her face. "What an amazing item!"

"Now let's keep going. How many kunzite gemstones do you need?"

"We already have one, so I require nine more, darling." answered the fashionista.

"Got it, boss."

Well, there's still the matter of the holes, but nothing has happened while searching for kunzite. Thanks to Rarity, I obtained a good amount of uncut sapphires and rubies. It seems like emeralds and diamonds are harder to find. I also found other gems that Rarity allowed me to take. I don't have the time to examine all of them since I'm acting as a bodyguard too, so I'll check them later.

"Can I ask you something Euris?"

"Sure. Ask away."

"How is it that you are capable of such diverse activities? You practice the magic of your homeland, and you can also mine rocks as if they were made out of paper. Not to mention your crafting abilities!"

"Well, I like to do a bit of everything. You could say I'm a 'jack-of-all-trades'."

It's the absolute truth. I like to do a bit of everything. Combat training, mining in the Motherlode Mine for mining xp, mining in the gem mine under Shilo Village to obtain gemstones and practice crafting. Well, I made a lot of glass, too. And let's not forget cutting trees, playing the Wintertodt minigame, using the ZMI altar for runecrafting, although I like to make just nature runes from time to time because I use high level alchemy a lot. Mahogany Homes for construction, Pest Control sometimes to test a few things related to combat, and the extra money is not bad. Ah, and smithing. A lot of smithing. And cooking. And fishing. And farming. And bird nests.

And I'm probably forgetting a few things!

"That sounds amazing, darling!" said Rarity while handing me the last kunzite she needs so I can store it in the gem bag. "What else can you do?"

Well, that's a good question.

"Let's see: I know different combat styles using melee weapons, ranged weapons, and also combat spells. I can mine and also smith weapons and armor. I can craft accessories and jewelry. I can cook sometimes, and I even made some furniture for my house back in Gielinor. I'm probably missing a few other things, but as you can see... I do a lot of different activities and practices as an adventurer."

Rarity stood there for a few seconds looking at me. She seems in awe. Seriously, she's looking at me like I'm a savior or something.

"Euris... Are you some kind of hero?" asked Rarity. "Everything you have told me matches the description of a wandering hero! Just like a novel!"

Well, that was unexpected. She must love fantasy novels judging by that reaction.

"Maybe. Who knows?" was my answer. Always give an ambiguous answer if you want to add some mystery.

"Yes! He is!" added Eek. Seriously, Eek is like the perfect motivational partner. I'm so glad he is in this dream with me.

"But this is not Gielinor. It's Equestria. Hero or not, in this land I am merely an adventurer. A traveler."

"The traveler, darling" said Rarity. "Wisdom, experience, and magical artifacts. You are a box full of surprises!"

"I'm just doing my job." Pretty sure I said this with a smile plastered on my face.

I remember this feeling. The praise. Not praise from other players because their priorities are completely different, no. The praise from NPCs is what gives me a certain feeling of progress. You start helping the royal cook on Lumbridge, and helping Fred the farmer. Just a good samaritan.

And the next thing you know, you help the gnomes, the elves, entire kingdoms, different races, and all the important beings of Gielinor know of you.

The mysterious adventurer. Wandering around the land of Gielinor, Great Kourend, Zanaris, and a few more special places.

And of course, being an adventurer means the unexpected is always likely to happen.

We stopped moving because we felt a strong movement on the ground.

"A tremor?" asked the fashionista.

"Rarity. Get behind me."

I didn't hesitate and prepared the dust battlestaff, with the Earth Blast spell ready. For a few seconds, nothing happened. Then, another tremor occurred, this time it was stronger than the last one.

"Faster! The surface is close!"

W-wait! Text! The chatbox suddenly opened! It's like a dialogue from a cutscene!

"Hurry! It's getting closer!"

"Darling? Did you hear something?" asked Rarity.

"Be careful Rarity! Something is coming!"

"What? Where?"

While Rarity was still looking around, the answer revealed itself. Literally.

Three figures emerged from one of the nearby holes. I almost mistook them for humans, but then I saw their faces, arms, and claws. They kinda look like dogs, and two of them have spears, as well as some light armor. Iron, maybe? The third one is... using some fancy dress? I guess it's made of-

"You two! Pony and the other being! You must escape!" shouted the one in the dress as they got away from the hole. By the voice, she was clearly a female. Thank goodness.

"Diamond dogs?" said Rarity, almost as if she was exclaiming. "Are you responsible for digging all these holes?"

So they are called diamond dogs. Well, their faces certainly remind me of a dog.

[Examine Diamond dog guard (level-55)]

[Examine Diamond dog guard (level-53)]

[Examine Princess Richessa Diamandis VI (level-30)]

Hold on! A Princess? Why? What's going on? And-

"It's coming!" shouted one of the two guards. Our attention went back to the hole where they appeared from.

Another being appeared.

"By Celestia!" Rarity was the first to react. I can't blame her for reacting like that.

This new guest is definitely a monster. Totally hostile and aggressive. No doubt about it, because I've seen this one before! Big, green, and a nasty dog-like face. But how? Why is this thing here?

[Examine Terror dog (level-75)]
[A terrifying dog beast.]

"I remember that monster!" said Eek, focusing on the terror dog. "They were guarding that guy! What was his name again? Tan Razor?"

"Tarn Razolor, and you are right..."

Its level is lower than usual, but even then, those three might not be prepared to deal with that. Guess it's time to be useful!

"Do not leave my side, Rarity."

"I wouldn't even dream of it, darling." said Rarity, still looking at the monster.

"You won't touch her, inferior dog!" shouted one of the guards. I applaud your bravado and loyalty to your Princess, but you're going to need more than that to defeat it.

So...

Here's one Earth Blast on the house!

With a swift move of my staff, I launched the earth projectile, and at a higher speed compared to the game! Just when the terror dog started to move in the trio's direction...

[50/65]
[Terror dog]

Now that's some good damage! But still not enough. Aaand now the terror dog is looking at me.

Oh crap, he's charging at me!

"Oh no you don't!"

I was prepared for this. Combat spells are not everything, you know? Let's see if this spell works properly too!

[45/65]
[Terror dog]

Sometimes I forget that the more advanced spells that restrict a foe's movement can inflict damage too. Good to see that the Entangle spell is working properly! I got lucky with a max hit, too.

"Nice shot!" said my little arachnid friend.

"Euris!" said Rarity, still behind me while looking at the creature. "What is that?"

"Answers later! I'll deal with this first!"

Let's hope your chase was worth it, you green dog. I have 10 more seconds of free hits!


[33/65]


[24/65]


[14/65]



Man, each spell sounded like a small explosion. Looks painful, and sounds painful. I really need to be careful from now on when teaching Spike about the other spells.

"It's over."

"But how do you know, darling?" well, the monster is still on its 'death animation', but yeah. It's dead.

With a final, agonizing, and very twisted howl, the terror dog fell to the ground, and after two seconds, it disappeared.

[take Uncut emerald]
[take Adamantite ore]

Decent loot, considering this is not even Gielinor.

"Euris... what a powerful mage you are!" said Rarity with glee. "Thank you very much for protecting me."

"It's no problem at all. Gielinor's magic is not useful in every single situation, but I'm glad it helped us here."

"You should see him using melee weapons!" added Eek as praise. "It's his forte!"

I moved to where the terror dog died, and Rarity followed me.

"Did that creature carry those things?" asked a now curious Rarity.

"Even if they are terrifying, monsters can also be curious creatures."

Now, I believe I should introduce myself to these diamond dogs, maybe they can help me understand how a terror dog ended up here. Also... there's a Princess with them, so I need to be-

"Thank you for saving us, stranger."

Aaaand she's kneeling. Her two guards are doing it, too. Looks like the Princess took the initiative. Well, let's see where this leads us to.

"Please, stand up. I did what everyone else would do: Defend myself and my friend."

"And what a flawless display of magic that was. Different from what I know, for sure." said the Princess, who then smiled gently. "May I know the name of our savior?"

"My name is Euris. I wish we could have met under better circumstances."

"And I'm Eek!" added my little friend, doing a backflip.

"What an unusual companion." said the Princess, smiling at Eek.

I used my left hand to show Rarity.

"And she is my friend: Rarity."

"As Euris said. Nice to meet you." said the fashionista in a respectful, yet neutral voice.

It seems like the Princess is deep in thought. If I had to take a guess...

"It's nice to meet you, mage Euris and pony Rarity. I am Princess Richessa Diamandis VI of the diamond dogs."

She even did the whole 'noble lady greeting' with her dress. Impressive.

"Princess!?" I understand your surprise, Rarity. "I didn't know the diamond dogs had a Princess!"

"That... is our fault." admitted the Princess. "We usually don't interact that much with the surface. I'm sure most species don't know that much about us."

"What do you know about diamond dogs, Rarity?"

My question made Rarity think for a moment.

"Well... I do know that diamond dogs can make holes like that." she said while pointing at one of the many holes around with one of her front hooves. "They like to collect gems, and the rumors among merchants say that they sometimes kidnap others and force them to work in underground mines." she immediately looked at the Princess. "I-I repeat, just rumors among merchants."

"I... can't say anything about that, too." said Richessa. "It's complicated. My mother can explain this better."

"I don't mean to stop your thoughts there, Princess, but we need to talk about what happened."

"That's right!" Rarity recovered her usual attitude. "Why are there so many holes around? And I know you were running from that monster, but... What is going on?"

"We are in a dangerous situation." said the Princess, with a hint of frustration showing on her face. "Our capital is facing a monster crisis, and we are in desperate need of help."

"Can you summarize it?"

"That fiend you destroyed is only one among the many roaming our capital right now." said Richessa. "Mother gave me the mission of requesting help from the surface. I need to speak with Princess Celestia, ruler of all Equestria. Our citizens are being sheltered in our castle, but our defenses will not last for too long, and those creatures keep coming. It's like they never get tired. They never end..."

"Then it's a good thing I am friends with her." this took the diamond dogs by surprise, and Rarity must be wondering why I said that, judging by her face. "That castle in the mountains is where Princess Celestia is right now."

Yup. I can see the growing despair on her face.

"It is as you think: You won't make it in time. I bet you don't even have time for a formal meeting. However..."

I'm starting to like this whole 'adventurer mode' talk.

"Rarity happens to know Princess Celestia's faithful student, who lives in the town over there." I used my left thumb to point at Ponyville. Now I focused on Rarity. Let's hope she agrees with me here.

"I'm sorry Rarity, but our gem hunt will have to wait."

To my surprise, she smiled at me rather tenderly.

"What are you apologizing for, darling? Obviously, this situation is far more important! And I can see in that face of yours that you have an idea."

"Indeed. I need to ask you a favor: Can you look for Twilight and Spike? If you explain the situation to her, I'm sure she will contact Princess Celestia."

"But what about you?" asked the fashionista.

"I believe you know the answer already, but..." I focused on Princess Richessa. "I'll follow Princess Richessa and her guards back to their capital and help them."

"Mage Euris!" looks like the Princess is surprised, and so are her guards. "We truly appreciate your help with the monster, but... Are you sure about this? I do not question your ability and power, but I believe you underestimate the number of creatures we are facing back in the capital."

"There is only one thing I care about right now: You need all the help you can get."

Judging by the way she is looking down right now, I bet she understands that I'm right. She's also a Princess, so she knows what's best for her subjects.

"So... What are we waiting for?"

"Be careful down there, Euris." said Rarity. "I know you are strong, but don't push your luck."

"Got it. Be sure to explain the whole situation to Twilight."

"Will do, darling." with that, Rarity left the place.

With grace, of course.

Now...

"Once again, thank you very much mage Euris."

"You can thank me once this whole situation is solved. My question now is... Which hole do we use to go back to your castle?"

BGM -OFF-


(Optional BGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i78aVsgYy1I - feel free to use the 'loop' option if you want)

"So the cape is enchanted?" asked the first guard, whose name is Shobel.

"You might say that. It's true that the cape I am wearing acts as a light source when necessary."

"You sure have some interesting toys, mage Euris." said the second guard, whose name is Roger.

Very friendly fellows once you get to know them.

"You two! Don't be rude to him! He is our savior and deserves respect." said Richessa, a bit angry.

"Don't worry Princess. Rest assured that your guards have done nothing wrong."

These tunnels...

We have been walking for a while. It is possible that we are following a specific path. I'm not sure yet, but if I had to take a guess, then I bet the answer is gems.

Every so often, I've seen specific spots with a few gems. The thing is, every time I see them, the gems are the exact same: Two blue gems, one green gem, and three orange gems.

This whole thing reminds me of the caves below Lumbridge. The Dorgeshuun Mine, but this time there is no cutscene to act as a shortcut.

"I assume this can be considered a labyrinth if you don't know the right path."

"Indeed." said the Princess while looking at me with pride. Must be good to talk about your defenses against intruders. "Even our citizens would have a hard time in this situation. Only the royal family and a few of our guards know of this specific path."

"And yet that monster managed to follow you."

"I think it was sheer luck." said Shobel, with a face that perfectly tells me he wanted to punch the terror dog. "Or maybe he has a good sense of smell. Who knows?"

"I'm just glad it's dead." added Roger. "I was prepared to fight, but I knew we would not win without... consequences. Maybe an arm or an eye."

"A rather grim thought, but not a wrong one. That monster is indeed powerful, and their attacks are rather accurate."

"What? You know that creature?" asked Shobel, a bit surprised. Roger and the Princess got curious, too.

"Yes. I know them. They are called 'terror dogs', and they should not be here. That is another reason I decided to help you. I need to know what's going on."

"Are these terror dogs from your homeland, mage Euris?"

"Indeed. They are from Gielinor, and from a hostile area."

Seriously, What is a creature from Morytania doing here? If it was one of the nightmarish creatures I would understand, but that terror dog from before, even if its level was lower than usual, was truly a terror dog.

"Mage Euris. If you don't mind me asking... What are you?" asked the Princess. "If you had a helmet with you, I would have thought you were a diamond dog."

"I am a human. Many kingdoms in Gielinor are ruled by humans. Of course, there are other races as well."

"Must be an interesting place if there are mages like you around." said Roger with a smile.

Heh...

"You have no idea..."

Oh boy, I'm enjoying this so far, but to see Gielinor like this... would be the adventure of a lifetime.

However...

This is only the beginning. Who knows how many places I'll see here in Equestria?

"Here it is."

This... Looks like a dead end. At least at first glance. Once again, the same gem pattern from before is also here. It doesn't take a genius to know there must be some secret entrance or 'magical mechanism' here.

Princess Richessa is looking for something. Ah! An amulet she has around her neck. Didn't see it before. The amulet seems to have a small light blue jewel in the center.

"Shine like a diamond, our riches remain underground." said the Princess.

As soon as she said the last word, her amulet began to glow, and soon, the wall on the dead end did as well.

"Are you sure you want me to hear that secret password?" I think it's a valid question.

"Do not worry. Even if you had my amulet, only the diamond dog royal lineage can use it." said Richessa.

So it must be one of those 'royal-only' treasures. Good to know. That information will be useful in the future. Maybe. You never know.

"So, the wall is glowing. What does this mean?"

Oh, wait. Interface to the rescue.

[Go through jewel portal]

Oh.

Instead of giving me an answer, Richessa smiled at me and then moved forward. As soon as her hand touched the wall... surprise, surprise! It passed through. Aaaaand she disappeared. I mean, she must be on the other side now. And now her guards are passing through.

Well, it's not a teleport from the spellbook, but in the game is just a skip. A transition. But here?

Let's find out.

BGM -OFF-


"Princess Richessa!"

Now that was a magical portal alright! Why use drugs or weird mushrooms when you can simply step through a magic portal? As the name suggests, what I saw was magical. It only lasted for a few seconds, but it was enough.

"Welcome to the city of Threshure, mage Euris." said the Princess while looking at me. "And specifically, to our castle."

Now then... let's look around.

(Optional BGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux6JmtLJqMQ - feel free to use the 'loop' option if you want)

Stone.

The floor, the walls, the ceiling, and even some furniture. Everything is made of stone, or at least it looks like stone. Like, wow. It certainly looks beautiful. I bet the diamond dogs must have some kind of special crafting method to do this. There are gems, too. Some are being used as decorations, such as the chandeliers above us, using gems instead of a fire or lightbulb. I also see a few gems attached to the walls. I wonder if the diamond dogs use them as buttons and activate some magical mechanism with them.

It would not surprise me, considering what I saw a few seconds ago.

But I have to say, it's like an underground version of Canterlot's castle. Both places have their own charm, and this is just a room! What about the rest of the castle? And outside!

"Princess... Who is this visitor?"

Hearing that unknown voice brought me back to the current situation. There are many diamond dog guards in front of the Princess. All of them have different levels, ranging from level-35 to level-42. So Shobel and Roger are the strongest. For now.

"His name is Euris, and he saved my life when we reached the surface." was Richessa's answer. "He has decided to lend us his power in order to deal with our monster crisis."

"Him? Alone?" asked another guard, and the group started to murmur. "But Princess, thanks to the jewel artifacts and our numbers, we have been holding off. What can he do alone?"

The murmurs increased. Not that I blame him for thinking like that.

A loud noise was heard. That took me by surprise! And it seems the guards are surprised, too. Richessa has powerful legs, judging by the stomp she did just now.

"I will not allow any kind of slander towards my savior! Next time, think about your next words very carefully. That goes for all of you."

As expected of a Princess. All of her guards nodded without hesitation.

"Is my mother in the throne room?" asked Richessa.

"Yes!" one of the guards answered while doing a military salute. "Queen Grandhessa is helping the volunteers who are looking out for the citizens."

"And father?"

"Still fighting the monsters on the castle's entrance along with main troops." this time another guard gave the answer.

"I see..." I can see she is worried about her father. If I see him later, I'll make sure to keep him safe. "Mage Euris. Let's go talk to my mother. She can fill you in detail about this whole mess."

"Very well. I need to ask her some questions, too."

The guards moved in order for us to have a clear path. We left the room, which I assume is a special, designated room for that emergency portal from before, and now we are in a hallway. The minimap is working here, so that's good.

"Please do not lose sight of me. This your first time visiting our castle, after all."

"Roger that."

"What?" asked Roger, and with that, Shobel and Richessa couldn't suppress their laugh. Not entirely at least. "Seriously. What?"

She was not kidding when she said their citizens are being guarded inside the castle. The minimap is filled with yellow dots, and as for me, I can see so many diamond dogs that instead of wearing combat equipment, are wearing normal clothes.

[Examine Diamond dog citizen (level-20)]
[A citizen of Threshure. They sure have big hands]

[Examine Diamond dog child (level-10)]
[Still reading comics about the surface.]

There are more guards as well. Their levels are still below those of Shobel and Roger. Some of them are patrolling, while others seem to be helping the citizens.

One thing is for sure...

They are all looking at us now. First to the Princess, and then to me. I feel like I'm Obi-wan when he was in Otoh Gunga. Maybe they know that Princess Richessa went to the surface for help and came back with just me?

The walk to the throne room took a few more minutes, and I was able to see pretty much the same situation. Citizens and guards. A few of them were looking out the window, probably to see what was going on outside. I want to see it too, but talking to the Queen is the top priority right now.

We finally arrived at the doors leading to the throne room. The two guards there noticed Richessa and immediately opened them.

"Announcing Princess Richessa's arrival!" shouted both guards at the same time.

As we entered the throne room, I saw once again, a lot of diamond dogs. Most of them were guards, with only a few citizens. I also saw a lot of weapons with some very interesting names.

[Take amethyst staff]
[Take steel longsword(e-sa)]
[Take steel longsword(e-em)]
[Take jade spear]

And those are just a few. There's a bunch of boxes around, filled with some familiar weapons, as well as some surprises like the jewel weapons and those '(e)' ones. Following the game's logic, those must be 'enchanted' weapons. 'sa' must be sapphire, while 'em' must be emerald. I mean, the weapons have blue and green decorations. I think I'm right.

"My daughter!"

"Mother!"

So she's the Queen.

[Examine Queen Grandhessa Diamandis V (Level-50)]

Huh. So she's stronger than most guards. That's a bit unusual. Then again, diamond dogs look like a warrior species, with their big hands and claws. Well, most royals don't have a combat level in Runescape, so this is a nice change. Her clothes do not differ much from her daughter's.

Also, the regnal numbers must work differently here because it doesn't make sense. At least to me.

"What happened Richessa?" asked the Queen. "I didn't expect you to return so soon!"

"Please don't worry Mother. I'm ok." said Richessa, reassuring her mother. "One of those fiends managed to follow us while going to the surface. Fortunately, I was saved by a brave mage."

And now Princess Richessa is using her hand to show me to her mother. Of course, the other diamond dogs in the room also stopped their activities and started to look at us. Well, specifically, at me. I'm not worried though. This is just what I was looking for! Who could have thought that a quest about collecting gems would turn out like this?

"I suppose this is the part where I introduce myself." I kneeled and bowed as a sign of respect. They may not be Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, but they are the highest authorities on diamond dog territory. A territory that is unknown to me. Better be friends than enemies. "I am Lord Euris. An adventurer from the faraway land of Gielinor. As much as the circumstances are dire, it is an honor to meet not only Princess Richessa, but also her mother, the Queen."

"You didn't tell me you were a Lord!" said a rather surprised Richessa.

"I may be a Lord in Gielinor, but right now I am in the land of Equestria. Here, I am merely an adventurer." then I used my left hand to show my little buddy on my shoulder. "And this is Eek. My companion."

"Hello, Queen Grandhessa! I'm Eek from the Spider Realm! Nice to meet you!"

"Well met, adventurer Euris and little Eek." said Queen Grandhessa, getting a little closer to me. "My daughter would never lie to me, and so I must thank you for saving her life. Tell me, what brings you to our capital?"

"To put it simply: I want to help you."

A few seconds of silence. Seems like she is thinking about what to say.

"I appreciate you coming all the way here to help us, Lord Euris. However, this is not a job you can accomplish on your own. 'Strength in numbers' is the keyword here." said the Queen. Honestly, I know where she is coming from, but...

"When Princess Richessa told me about her mission on the surface, I knew she wouldn't make it in time. From where we met, she needed to reach a nearby town known as Ponyville and use one of the trains in the train station in order to reach Canterlot, Equestria's capital. Since Canterlot is a city up in the mountains, the ride would take at least a few hours. Next, she would need to reach the castle and request a meeting with the Princess in order to ask for help. All while trying to not look like a hostile being in the eyes of every pony there, and judging by what a friend of mine told me earlier, diamond dogs are not very known in Equestria."

Both Richessa and her mother seem to realize what I'm trying to say. Good. Now...

"I don't know how's the situation right now, but from what Princess Richessa told me, it sounds like the terror dogs are constantly trying to enter the castle. How long have you been protecting the castle?"

Now it was the Queen's turn to show a bit of frustration on her face.

"It's been half a day." she said.

"Father... has he been fighting this whole time?" asked Richessa to her mother. The guards around me are looking a bit sad. Seems like her father is a good King.

"Yes. He is still outside." was her mother's answer. "Defending the castle's main entrance along with his best guards."

"Your troops will get tired at one point. I may just be one single human, but I have plenty of experience when it comes to monsters."

"Earlier, you said 'terror dogs' to refer to these creatures." said the Queen. "Have you fought them before?"

"Yes. These monsters are from Gielinor. They should not be here. I need to investigate this as an adventurer of Gielinor. It is part of the reason I wanted to help here."

"And the rest of that reason?" asked the Queen.

Let's give her an adventurer's answer.

"Because your daughter asked nicely." I said, including a wink. Ooooh, now that took Richessa by surprise! "I should also mention that I am friends with Princess Celestia, and also with her faithful student, Twilight Sparkle, who happens to live in Ponyville. If Rarity, a pony who was with me when Princess Richessa was attacked, followed my instructions, then Twilight will send a letter to Princess Celestia explaining this whole situation. You can consider me part of Princess Celestia's help."

Now for the final touch. I focused on Eek for a moment.

"Eek. You know what to do, buddy."

"Yes sir!"

Let's enter the bank, and take...

Yeah. This will do.

My dust battlestaff disappeared, surprising everyone around me, and then something else appeared in my hand: My dragon mace.

"Did my words offer at least a little peace of mind?"

The Queen... sighed.

"Yes. They do." and now she smiled.

Good. Glad that I was able to convince her. But seriously, why terror dogs? Is this just my dream being weird? Because this whole place is gorgeous, and terror dogs are a weird combination.

"Well then! I guess my only question now is... Where is the castle's main entrance?"

BGM -OFF-



‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎


"Don't let them in!"

"Keep your wits about you!"

"Watch out!"


‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎


"Keep it together!"

"You ok?"

"Yeah don't worry!"

"The next group must be ready in a minute!"


Woah.

"Woah!" my thoughts exactly, Eek.

I can see the hitsplats from here! I know it's normal to hear the screams too, but I also see them as if they were talking on the game. Kinda like when an npc says something. It shows the yellow text but it's not shown on the player's chat.

And I'm not even outside! I am at the castle's entrance, but still inside. The doors are closed for obvious reasons. At the same time, the entrance has become some kind of base of operations. I see injured soldiers who are resting along with doctors treating their wounds, other diamond dogs giving out food, and a bunch of diamond dogs restocking weapons, and judging by the number of broken weapons laying on the stone floor, they have used a lot.

"You two. Are you sure you want to go out there with me?"

"Of course we are!" said Shobel with a grin on his face. "We are part of our King's personal guards!"

"We were assigned to protect Princess Richessa during her mission." added Roger. "But you stole the spotlight, so now it's our turn. We have to join the fight with our comrades!"

Looks like these two made up their mind. Nothing more to say I guess.

"And what about you?" asked Shobel. "I thought you were a mage."

"Yeah. Took me by surprise, too." added Roger.

Well, I changed my gear, so it's obvious they would ask me about it. My gear is now focused on melee. Queen Grandhessa is right about the 'strength in numbers' thing. There are a lot of terror dogs out there and is amazing that the guards have managed to last this long.

But Gielinor's powers should not be underestimated. My current gear is proof of that.

Proselyte sallet, proselyte hauberk, proselyte cuisse, Guthix d'hide boots, Guthix bracers, Ardougne cloak 3, the dragon mace, Falador shield 3, amulet of glory, explorer's ring 3, and a peaceful blessing.

Melee gear focused on prayer. This setup gives me a grand total of +39 prayer bonus. I could use my book of balance instead of the Falador shield, but using a book in one hand and a weapon in the other would look weird to the diamond dogs. I could use a holy symbol too, but nothing beats the overall usefulness of the amulet of glory. Wish I had an amulet of fury though...

"I told you guys that I'm an adventurer."

"You look more like a knight right now." said a rather curious Shobel. "That magic of yours to change your gear so quickly sure is useful."

That's a rather interesting choice of words, considering the fact that I'm using the temple knight equipment. Now, thanks to Eek, I have the items I need in my inventory. Very useful items, courtesy of Gielinor.

"If you two are ready, then let's go help your King."

"Open the doors!" shouted Shobel.

"And close them once we go outside." added Roger.

This is it. It's getting a bit annoying to try to ignore all those hitsplats, but I must focus now. I know I'm well prepared, but this will be a battle of stamina and quick wits. I don't know how many terror dogs are out there. I don't know how they arrived, and I don't know if my plan will work.

But hey...

That's the adventurer's life!

"Let's go!" shouted Shobel, as the door began to open.

"We'll protect our home!" shouted Roger.

"It's showtime!"

I thought those two would run first, but surprisingly, they waited for me to go first! For diamond dogs that complained about me stealing the spotlight, they sure are nice dudes.

As we go outside, I realized that there was simply too much to look at! I can see the fight now, and there are at least 20 terror dogs, and I also see the diamond dog guards that are protecting the castle's entrance with their shields, and more to the point, with their lives. A few magic projectiles were fired from the upper floors of the castle. For a moment, I looked back and I saw several diamond dogs with interesting robes, holding staves that had large gems attached to them. I knew it! They have their own magic, revolving around gemstones.

All right! I'm getting fired up!

(Optional BGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYWxgPKh3s - feel free to use the 'loop' option if you want)

Ah! So he is the King!

[Examine King Rhastros Diamandis V (level-75)]

Jesus, He looks bigger than Shobel and Roger, and those two are slightly bigger than me! And that two-handed hammer he is using as a weapon it's like one of Torag's hammers on steroids! It has a red gem attached to the center. No doubt that weapon has some magical properties.

I'd love to look around for a moment and appreciate the city, but there's no time for that! First, we need to clear up the area a bit. The terror dogs here are all level-80.

Let's activate Protect from Melee!

And drink a dose of super strength potion!

[Strength 103/86]

"Hold on tight, Eek!"

"Will do, pal!" said my little buddy, inside my helmet. He's practically in my hair.

This is just like in the game. I'm wearing some heavy equipment, yet I feel light as a feather! I wonder... my agility and strength levels are high, so maybe...

"Shobel! Roger! Protect your King! I'll attract the terror dogs attention!"

"H-hey wait!"

Don't worry you two. I'm not planning to lose here.

You can't jump in Runescape unless it's a click action for a shortcut. This, however, does not apply to this dream. I have freedom of movement after all.

I always wondered how it would be to jump and attack.

"He's jumping with all that armor on!?" pretty sure that was Shobel talking.

Oh man, this feels so cool! You could never jump at will on Runescape! And I jumped pretty high, too! Enough to pass above the diamond dog's line of defense.

I see my first terror dog target. The first of many. Time to start my battle! Let's equip the ancient mace for just a moment.

And now for the special attack!

I remember reading about these monsters on the wiki because of that miniquest. I know they have low defense, and their threat comes from their accuracy and the fact that they are in a room where your prayer points are slowly drained.

[Prayer 99/76]

Well, that room is not here. Basically...

Good luck trying to hurt me.

Let's equip the dragon mace again. Now, we need to get the aggro of every terror dog in here.

Starting with you!

"Euris! Get back here!" I think that was Roger.

"That fool! I knew he wanted to help, but this is too much!" that's Shobel again.

I think I hear the other guards, too.

"He is getting the attention of the other creatures!"

"It's weird. Don't you see something around him?"

"See? I only see that the creatures are trying to tear him apart!"

"It's working! Oh geez, that must hurt!"

"He doesn't even flinch!"

"And his armor doesn't have any sign of damage! What kind of metal is that?"

Ah... Runescape at its finest. I have prayer points to spare. Please keep attacking, green doggies.

It's no use.

"Don't just stand there like a bunch of helpless puppies! Help the warrior while keeping our defense!" that was definitely King Rhastros. What a commanding voice... "Jewel mages! Focus on the distracted creatures!"

"You heard our King, guys!"

This reminds me a bit of that battlefield where the gnomes were fighting the forces of that General Khazard guy.

Bring it on!


"I'm here to report on the current situation!"

The guard who opened the door was smiling, and everyone in the throne room noticed it. Especially Princess Richessa and Queen Grandhessa. An ominous silence filled the room. All the eyes focusing on the messenger.

"Speak." was the Queen's order.

"The monsters that were attacking the castle entrance have been eliminated!"

"What!?"

Nobody in the throne room was able to remain silent. Whispers, sighs of relief, and even happiness replaced the uncertain atmosphere from before.

"Let him finish!" this time, it was Princess Richessa who spoke. The silence reigned once more.

"There are still some monsters attacking other areas around the castle, but their numbers are low compared to the big number of monsters that were in the entrance. Our troops were even able to rest for a moment."

"And father? Is he injured?"

The messenger didn't stop smiling.

"Aside from a few scratches, our King is safe. That warrior Euris managed to defeat a large number of them while the jewel mages assisted him, and the main troops kept defending their position."

"Magic and close combat..." Queen Grandhessa was deep in thought. "His confidence gave me some doubts at first, but it looks like he proved me wrong."

"My Queen. It was more than that." said the guard, still smiling. "It was a one-sided battle. He charged at the creatures to get their attention, and even when they attacked him mercilessly, he... was unscathed. Even his armor and shield were in perfect condition as if he was not hit at all!"

"Is that so? A shame I was not able to witness such a feat." said the Queen, finally smiling. "What are they going to do now?"

"The warrior Euris offered himself to go further into the city in order to eliminate the remaining monsters."

"And he went alone?" Princess Richessa stopped smiling.

"No, my Princess. King Rhastros didn't like that as well, so the high-ranking guards Shobel, Roger, and Silvan were chosen to accompany him."

"Lord Euris knows that our priority is to defend the castle and keep our citizens safe." said Queen Grandhessa. "Such confidence and recklessness... He is either a fool or someone not to be messed with."

"Be safe, Euris..." the Princess was truly worried. Strong or not, she feels responsible for bringing him to this problem.


"That's the last one!"

Man, this was a real workout! I don't have the time to see this city yet, but Threshure reminds me a lot of Dorgesh-Kaan. This city is huge! There are so many interesting spots here! While slaying the other terror dogs around the city, I saw a lot of shop icons, along with anvils and mining spots. Lots and lots of mining spots. There is a big building with the gem stall icon. Since they live underground, they must have some special gems that no other city has. The farming patch took me by surprise, and there has to be a reason for this. Plants and fruits that do not require sunlight, perhaps?

Well, for now, I have to focus on the current task.

"Are you really sure you are not tired?" asked Shobel. "By the King's might, maybe you are the monster."

"To think you were such a high-caliber warrior..." added Roger. "Would love to spar with you later!"

"Shovel, Roger. Focus." said a third diamond dog. Unlike Shovel and Roger, he is wearing what I would call 'mage robes: Threshure variant' instead of armor, and a particular staff as a weapon. Unlike the other staff weapons that I saw earlier, this one has four gemstones attached to the tip, mimicking a round shape. I can't see the name of the weapon since he is using it.

"Diligent as always, Silvan." said Shobel with a sigh. "Yeah. Let's keep going."

"We've been around the whole city though." said Roger, looking around. "This is the only area we have yet to investigate."

"I do have to admit that warrior Euris did most of the job. We were just backup." said Silvan, showing a bit of a bitter smile on his face. "It makes me feel a little jealous of his strength."

"It's not like I was born with everything right off the bat. I fought for it. I earned it."

It took hours, and hours, and hours of grinding. It was not easy, especially for skills like slayer and construction.

"No doubt about that." said Silvan, getting serious again. "Now, let's search for anything unusual."

There are two objectives right now.

One: To slay any monster we find during the inspection. Since this is the last area we have to inspect, King Rhastros should be able to bring more troops later and recover his capital.

Two: To discover how these terror dogs managed to reach Equestria. I could argue that it's just my mind being weird, but I refuse to believe that. I would create a logical situation, or at least try to make it believable lore-wise.

But... we haven't seen anything weird or unusual aside from the monsters. Let's think for a moment...

Another portal connecting Gielinor and Equestria? Maybe. You never know, but we haven't discovered anything yet.

Are the terror dogs a summon? That's possible too. An enemy able to summon other monsters is not out of the question. That Malignius Mortifer dude near Port Sarim can summon undead monsters. And fungi.

"Hey, Euris! Look at this!"

That was Shobel. Did he find something? Roger and Silvan are with him, too. Let's see what he found...

[Examine hole]
[This is a hole made with violence...]

"Bingo."

"Indeed. This is definitely what we were looking for." added Silvan. "An illegal dig hole."

"Illegal? Sounds like you guys have laws for these. Well, considering you guys live underground..."

"We always stress out the importance of both authorized and illegal dig holes at all times." said Silvan. "One wrong hole and the ground would crumble. Even worse, if it's a hole in the ceiling, debris can fall and hurt us, or even damage our buildings."

"We have a very strict policy regarding construction works." added Shobel. "Every building must be safe, and every construction plan is carefully studied before it can be authorized."

"And I recognize when a diamond dog is responsible for making one of these." said Roger. "I'm not liking this at all."

"If a diamond dog is responsible for this hole, then we must be careful about our next move."

Looks like it's solo time.

"Shobel. Can you do me a favor?"

"What is it?" asked the guard, getting the attention of the other two.

"I need you to go and tell your King about this area. You guys need to make some sort of guard post here."

"Sounds like a good move. What about us?" asked Roger.

"Silvan and you will both guard this area while Shobel goes back to King Rhastros. As for me... I'll go down there and take a look."

"What!?"

"Think about it: It's better if I go down there because I have a way to protect myself even if a horde of terror dogs attack me. Also, it has 'trap' written all over, so it's better to keep you guys safe. You will be more useful here, in case more terror dogs appear."

"I hate to say this... but Euris is right." said the mage. "We have a clear advantage now, and staying here is the best way to make use of it."

"Well, if our clever Silvan says so, then I guess we stay." said Roger, although I could tell he is a bit disappointed. "I wanted to slay more of those green fiends though."

"All right, I'll go with our King." said Shobel, starting to move already. "Have a nice hunt, warrior Euris." there we go again with the rpg class title.

Well then, judging by the rock right next to the hole, I guess I'll have to use a rope here.

"Let's go Eek. We'll need a rope for this."

"You got it, pal!"

Now...

[You are entering an instanced area! Are you sure you want to climb down?]

Of course it's an instanced area. Typical quest stuff. This is definitely the place.

And I'm ready for it.

[Yes]

Comments ( 8 )

You have my interest as an avid runescape player who played since classic aka the first runescape and still has their account from back than and plays both rs3 and old school with a combination of several billion in gold and items on OSRS and somewhere around 3 trillion in items and gold on RS3.

So it's not just Nightmares shaped like the monsters of Gielinor, the monsters themselves are also in Equestria. Wonder if any of the RuneScape villains will also make an appearance.

Huzzah!!!

i would love to see what he would do if he met a player from rs3 who in the high tier gear/skills more so since necromancy is about to be a skill.

All caught up and I am thoroughly enjoying this story Love the way you have gone about this.

11586659
I was actually thinking about writing something like that because I was really enjoying the Necromancy experience in RS3

11681494
If you ever make that story, be sure to let me know.

I admit I'm not a fan of RS3 itself, but still, it's Runescape, so my curiosity wins in the end. Besides, it's a pretty nice 'what if' scenario, and as far as I'm concerned, I haven't seen any story where a RS3 player meets an OSRS player.

I don't know if I will do that. Only time will tell.

11681663
I'm working on a draft chapter, and you will be the first to see it, not sure when I will have it prepped, but it is in the works as I type this.

Login or register to comment